• Published 11th Nov 2022
  • 346 Views, 6 Comments

Honey's Hearth's Warming Tale - Jmaster49



A mare gets help from Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine to woo a stallion before Hearth's Warming.

  • ...
3
 6
 346

Meet: Honey Lodestar

This is a Hearth’s Warming Tale that defies most expectations. A rather recent one that many point to when they think about how to manage their emotions in stressful situations.

This is the tale of Honey Lodestar…

“Hm-hm-hm…Hearth’s Warming Eve is here once again….”

An adult mare was just finishing putting the decorations around her home in Canterlot. Being an earth pony, it took a bit more effort on her part to put things up since she couldn’t just levitate things around like unicorns could.

“Stupid garland. Why won’t you stay up…?”

Just then, a familiar voice called out to her from nearby.

“Hey, Honey! Are you free to go shopping tonight?” Lemon Hearts asked as she trotted up to her friend while wearing a pink scarf.

Honey Lodestar was an earth pony mare with a burnt sienna--or reddish brown--coat, a flowing, red mane of messy strands with an equally red and frizzled tail, yellow eyes, and a set of seven honeycomb as her cutie mark. She was currently wearing a black and yellow scarf to keep her warm against the cold.

“Huh? Oh, uh…I can’t. I um--” the drew her hoof against the snow in the ground in an idle manner. “I’m…busy tonight.”

Lemon threw her head back with a groan. “Ughh. Don’t tell me you’re gonna be standing outside of the castle waiting for you-know-who again. Why don’t you just go talk to him?”

“I-I will…soon…” Honey shyly rubbed one hoof against the other.

It had been months worth of working up the courage to speak to a particular stallion who acted as one of Twilight’s Royal Guard. Even if it was mostly a ceremonial position, the gentlecolt in question was special to her…

“...the accident was a long time ago, but it still feels as if it was yesterday,” Honey went on.

Lemon knew exactly what she was referring to, and her expression dropped. “Ah…yeah, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been insensitive towards you. It must be hard coming up with a gift idea for the guy that saved your whole family from your last home burning down.”

Indeed. The whole motivation for Honey was to get closer to the stallion that had saved her life…


“Hang on! We’re getting you all out of here!”

The flames of Tirek’s final attack had ravaged Canterlot, leaving many homes in shambles as everyone was rushed out and to safety.

Honey Lodestar was trapped under the burning wreckage of her home along with her family, but thanks to the efforts of numerous Guardsponies, they were saved.

However, one in particular went above and beyond to save Honey.

“There’s someone still in there, boss!”

“It’s too late, Tungsten! Fall back!” his superior ordered.

But the stallion refused. “I ain’t lettin’ ‘em die!”

“If you take that risk, I’m discharging y--!”

Not only did Tungsten continue to refuse, but he removed all of his armor before storming the building. “Court martial me when I get back, sarge.”

Tungsten raced into the building, diving and weaving through the burning wood, suffering numerous singes and burns in the process. But eventually, he found the source of the screaming, an earth pony mare and her mother.

“Hang on, I’ve got you!”

With a swift buck from his hind legs, Tungsten shattered the burning wood and hoisted both mares onto his back before stampeding out of the building just before it fully collapsed in on itself.

Though Tungsten suffered various third-degree bodily burns in the process...but Honey and her mother were both safe. Knowing that made it easier for him to relax as he flopped to the ground in an unconscious state.


“...He went through hell just to get me and my mom to safety,” Honey went on as she recalled that fateful day. “As much as most ponies try to claim the Royal Guard is useless, they showed their true colors when they saved us during that emergency.”

“No kidding,” Lemon replied, “They pretty much locked Canterlot down to make sure Tirek didn’t destroy it. Even I was scared…” She flicked her tail and shifted away from that horrid memory towards something more positive. “Alright, so what’s his name again? I wanna help if I can.”

“His name is Tungsten Wolfe,” Honey explained with a wistful sigh and a dreamy look in her eye. “He almost got discharged for going against the orders of his captain, but Twilight made sure he stayed in service and he’s the official leader of the Canterlot Fire Team--or CFT.” But then, Honey raised a brow and glared at Lemon with an uncertain expression, “Er…wait a minute. You’re gonna…help me? How? Don’t tell me you’re gonna do me up in one of your silly frou-frou makeup routines.”

Lemon giggled with a snort and shook her head. “No no! Don’t worry, we learned our lesson from last time. Kemuri nearly set the place on fire when she got excited.”

“You’re telling me. Last time, my entire head looked like a phoenix’s nest,” Honey faux-gagged and stuck out her tongue, “Blech. Speaking of which, wonder if she’s around today? She might be able to help too.”

“If she is, let’s have her join us. Don’t worry, we’re not gonna do anything crazy,” Lemon encouraged her, “We just need to help you speak with him is all. Think about what he likes and we could help you pick out a gift for him at one of the stores. Sound good?”

“Hm…yeah, not a bad idea,” Honey agreed. “I’ve been so busy with my beekeeping job that I must’ve lost track in regards to where the best places to shop for gifts are. I’d appreciate it if you could help me with that, Lemon.”

The yellow unicorn nudged her along. “No problem, Hon! I’m actually not very busy right now myself. The bakery’s all closed up for the moment, so I’m free. And then you could probably take him as your plus-one to the Hearth’s Warming Ball at the castle!”

Honey nervously grit her teeth at the proposition. She could barely get near the stallion without turning into a pile of mush. How in Puddinghead’s name was she gonna ask him out?!

“...One step at a time, please,” she begged, “I can feel my stomach turning already.”

“Don’t worry, that’s just the butterflies!” Lemon assured her.

But Honey shook her head and faux-gagged once more with a snide grin on her face. “Nope…definitely indigestion from the Tasty Treat.”

“I told you to go easy on the curry, didn’t I?”

“Shuddup.”