• Published 4th Nov 2022
  • 412 Views, 9 Comments

Rise of Opaline - WhisperFace



Opaline Wants to grow. From her cutie mark to her school she will not accept less than the best! But will family help or hinder her rise?

  • ...
 9
 412

7 Unfamiliar Faces

Opaline said. Opaline stepped out of the bathroom and looked around the station for her father.

“Papa, can we go to the school now?” There were creatures of all sorts flooding through the platform. Opaline stepped into the flow of traffic.

A feathered creature with a sharp beak, claws on its front legs, and paws on the back shouldered past her.

Opaline was sent spinning. She bounced off a hard chest. She looked up into big blue bug eyes. The creature flared clear beetle wings the size of a pony’s.

“Eep!” She jumped back. She stumbled.

She ran into a long-legged pony. The pony twinkled like Mama. She grabbed onto the pale green front leg and stared up at a pony with a traditional crystal empire pile of braids. They sparkled in soft white and turquoise.

“Oh good. Can you help me find my Papa? We’re supposed to go to the school.”

“Hmm, what’s this?” the pony lifted the hoof Opaline clung to. The pale green pony narrowed ice blue eyes as Opaline kept wrapped around the hoof, leaving the little pony hanging in the air. The pony stared over sharp cheekbones at the purple filly.

“Uh, you’re from the crystal empire right? I am too?” Opaline said.

The pony grimaced. “You’re a half breed.”

Opaline tilted her head. “What?”

“Let go of me, little pony.” The pale pony said. The hoof shook until Opaline slipped off. She put her head down. The tall crystal pony glared down at her like she was a worm. Opaline shivered. Those icy eyes could freeze her to the floor.

“I-I just wanted some help.”

The tall pony gagged. “As if. There is nothing worse than something like you.”

Opaline tried to shrink in on herself.

“Hey, that was completely uncalled for.” A pink mare stepped between Opaline and the ice-eyed pony. That purple and turquoise mane, was it the pony from her trip to Canterlot?

The tall pony finally turned that icy gaze off Opaline. “And who are you to correct me?”

“I run the school of Friendship.” The mare snapped.

The tall pony laughed. “Good luck with that. Friendship can’t be taught. You have it or you don’t”

“You clearly don’t,” the pink mare said through bared teeth.

The tall pony chuckled into a pale yellow-mint hoof. “I have many friends, all in higher positions than yours. You are a glorified teacher without an education, from what I hear.”

“You have no idea what I am capable of.”

The pale pony made a dismissive wave of the hoove. “I’m sure, Sunlight Shimmer. I’m all too happy to leave the half breed to you.” The pony turned. The end of the crystalline tail snapped across the pink mare’s nose.

“You are not welcome.” The mare yelled after the tall pony. She huffed, “Not my best come back.”

Opaline watched the mare with wide eyes. The mare turned and looked at her and tilted her pink ears.

“Have we met? You look familiar.”

“You were on the train yesterday.”

“Ah,” she put a pink hoof to her pink neck and gave a half-hearted smile, “I’m sorry if I wasn’t in the best mood then. Starburst was… nevermind, what brings you to Ponyville?”

“I’m recommended to the School of Friendship.”

“Is that so? And who recommended you little one?”

“Princess Twilight.”

The pink mare narrowed her eyes. “She’s eager to send a student my way but not funds?” she shook her head. “Well I am
Starlight Glimmer, the headmare. I can give you a simple test at the school.”

“Oh,” Opaline jumped to her feet. “Is it true there are tons of dragons?”

Starlight Glimmer chuckled. “We even have a dragon teaching.”

“Really? What dragon can teach friendship?”

“Well, Spike is basically the Princess’ little brother.”

Opaline gasped. She grabbed Starlight’s face. “Spike the brave and glorious?”

“Ah, so you are from the Crystal Empire.”

“Is it him?”

“Yes, but he’s grown. He isn’t a baby dragon anymore.”

“Then he has gone on even more adventures! Let’s go!” Opaline grabbed the headmare’s hoof and pulled her out of the station.

Starlight sighed. “Enthusiastic, aren’t we?”

“I’m here because Princess Twilight said I could learn about dragonfire here.”

“And what about friendship?”

Opaline paused. The little purple unicorn stared at the ground a moment. She turned around to beam at Starlight with a soft smile. “She said I had talent.”

Starlight’s expression softened. “Well, let’s get you a quick admission little one.”

“Opaline. My name is Opaline.”