• Published 29th Oct 2022
  • 923 Views, 64 Comments

Magical Radiance - Prixy05



What if Rarity became Celestia's student instead of Twilight?

  • ...
0
 64
 923

The Ticket Master

It was a bright and sunny morning at Sweet Apple Acres. Princess Celestia had already raised the sun, which was nearing its peak in the sky. The moon had also been rising on time, indicating that the recently rediscovered Princess Luna had already become acclimated to the task.

However, the sunshine and the weather didn't matter to two ponies in particular who were working among the apple orchards. Applejack had gotten herself in a bet with her brother Big Mac, in particular, a bet on picking apples. Rarity had generously offered a hoof and the pair had spent all morning harvesting apples.

Rarity used her magic to float a baker's dozen of apples into a wooden barrel, which then levitated onto the wooden cart that was already nearly full. Applejack in meanwhile, was bucking another apple tree, knocking off all of the apples in one hit.

The orange earth pony wiped her brow, "Thank you kindly Rarity, for helping me out. I bet Big McIntosh I could get all these Golden Delicious in the barn by lunchtime. If I win, he's gonna walk down Stirrup Street in one of Granny's girdles." She chuckled imagining the sight.

"Why it's no problem at all darling," Rarity replied courteously, "There's nothing I like more than helping a pony in need."

A upside down blue fruit bat poked its head out from a nearby apple tree, "What about design? Or maybe magic? Oh! Don't forget those fine Canterlot salads!" It was Spike, who had taken the form of a fruit bat and was "helping" by taste-testing random apples.

"By the way," Spike took a bite out of another apple, "When's lunch? All this hard work is making me hungry."

Rarity rolled her eyes, "Really Spike, you've been eating this whole time while we did the work."

The fruit bat looked offended, "I've been making sure these apples are safe for consumption! You don't want any parasites in your apples, do you?"

Applejack looked up at the bat and smirked, "Why, I'd say yer the parasite 'round here. You've eaten nearly as many apples as one of them vampire fruit bats!"

"You want me to turn into one?"

"Spike, if you turn into a vampire fruit bat, I'll personally buck ya straight back to Canterlot."

"So, a maybe then..."

Without warning, the changeling shapeshifted back into his original insectoid form, falling face-first onto the ground. His horn began to glow, and with spark of blue light, a scroll appeared mid-air.

Rarity looked at the scroll in surprise, "Why, it's a letter from Princess Celestia!"

Rubbing his head, the changeling grabbed the floating parchment and cleared his throat, "Hear ye, hear ye. Her Grand Royal Highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria, is pleased to announce that the ugh, Grand Galloping Gala to be held in the magnificent capital city of Canterlot, on the 21st day of, yadda yadda yadda, cordially extends an invitation to her personal student Rarity plus one guest."

"The Grand Galloping Gala!" Rarity squeed. Spike fiddled through the letter, pulling out two golden tickets which were immediately snatched up by Rarity's magic.

Applejack was wide-eyed, "You got a personal invitation to the Grand Galloping Gala?"

"Oh of course darling," Rarity braggingly stated, "I've been several times."

"Yep," Spike groaned in agreement, "several times."

"It is simply to die for Applejack! You have all of the fanciest and famous ponies in all of Equestria under one roof! The food is divine and the decor," she kissed her hoof, "utterly magnificent."

"It's utterly one thing alright," Spike had taken back his form of fruit bat and flown back up into an apple tree.

"Don't mind him, he's always been a bit cross with the gala," Rarity stopped for a second and looked at Applejack, "I suppose that leaves me with an extra ticket, and I don't suppose you would want Applejack?"

"Want it? Shoot! I'd give my left hind leg to go to that gala," Applejack enthusiastically replied, "Just think of it, if I had an apple stand set up, ponies would be chowin' our tasty apples 'til the cows came home. Do you have any idea how much business I could drum up for Sweet Apple Acres? Why, with all that money, we could do a heap of fixin' up 'round here. We could replace that saggy old roof, and Big McIntosh could replace that saggy old plow, and Granny Smith could replace that saggy old hip."

Rarity looked around and shrugged, "Well, I guess I could-"

"Watch out!"

Out of nowhere, Rainbow Dash crashed into a barrel, sending apples flying. Rainbow Dash playfully chuckled, "So, we talking about the Grand Galloping Gala?"

Applejack gave the rainbow-maned pegasus the stink eye, "Rainbow Dash. You told me you were too busy to help me harvest apples. What were you busy doing? Spyin'?"

"Well, I was busy, I was busy napping," she pointed out with smirk, "And I just happened to hear that you have an extra ticket?"

She looked at Rarity expectingly, who stood still in response, "Well I do but-"

Rainbow Dash flew up into the air before she could fully respond, "Yes! This is so awesome. The Wonderbolts perform at the Grand Galloping Gala every year! I can see it now, everypony would be watching the sky. Their eyes riveted on the Wonderbolts, but then in would fly Rainbow Dash!" The pegasus looped through the air as she prattled about her routine, "I would wow them! Mesmerize them! The Wonderbolts would insist that my signature moves be incorporated into their routine, and then welcome me as their newest member." Rainbow flew up and put a hoof on Rarity's shoulder, "Can't you see it, Rarity? This could be my one chance to show them my stuff. You gotta take me!"

Rarity pulled away as Applejack butt in. "Hold on just one pony pickin' minute here. I asked for that ticket first."

"So what?" Rainbow countered, "That doesn't mean you own it."

"Oh, yeah? Well, I challenge you to a hoof-wrestle. Winner gets the ticket."

"You're on!"

Both of ponies plopped themselves aside a nearby tree stump and began to hoof-wrestle. They grunted and strained against one another until Rarity loudly cleared her throat.

"Ahem! These are my tickets, and I shall be the one to decide which pony gets it. So, whoever has the better reason should get to go, fair?"

Applejack raised her hoof, "Drummin' up business for the farm?"

Rainbow Dash raised her hoof as well, "A chance to audition for the Wonderbolts?"

"Money to fix Granny's hip?"

"An opportunity to live out my dream?"

Rarity tapped her chin, "Oh my, those were all pretty good reasons, weren't they? I'm afraid I can't make a decision at the moment, especially on an empty stomach, so how about I go and have a quick meal and think this over?"

The two ponies groaned and nodded, letting Rarity leave with Spike flying after her. Rarity yelled out behind her, "Now you two don't keep biting at each other like a pack of diamond dogs while I'm gone!"

Applejack and Rainbow Dash rolled their eyes, and quickly resumed their hoof-wrestling once Rarity was out of sight.


Rarity thought to herself as she walked through the main section of Ponyville, the tickets magically float beside her. Who could she give the tickets to? Maybe she could skip the gala this year and give them both the tickets...

"So, who you gonna give the ticket to, Rarity?" Spike asked, flying closely behind the unicorn.

"Thats the thing Spike," answered Rarity, "I don't know! Maybe I should get some lunch and think this over."

Spike opened his mouth to respond, only to careen straight into the face of a pink pony.

"Gah! Bats on my face! Bats on my face! Help!" Pinkie Pie yelled as she pawed at the blue bat wrapped around her muzzle. In a moment's notice Spike had plopped onto the ground. Pinkie Pie stopped her panicking, "Wait, your Spike, aren't you? Sorry Spiky! I shoulda- are those tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala?" She became transfixed by the floating gold tickets.

Rarity tilted her head, "Oh, you know about it?"

Pinkie Pie bounced in place in her usual manner, "Of course! It's only the most amazing incredible tremendous super-fun wonderful terrifically humongous party in all of Equestria! I've always always always wanted to go!" She began to elastically bounce around Rarity, singing a little tune to herself. "Theres decorations like streamers and fairy-lights and pinwheels and piñatas and pin-cushions, with goodies like sugar cubes and sugar canes and sundaes and sun-beams and sarsaparilla. And I get to play my favorite-est of favorite fantabulous games like Pin the Tail on the Pony!"

Rarity was troubled by this, another choice for the extra ticket. So, she attempted to make the pink pony loose interest in the matter, "Um Pinkie? You know the gala isn't that kind of party."

Pinkie stopped her singing and blew a raspberry, "Psshaw, I'm the bestest Ponyville party planner! I definitely can handle any kind of party! Thank you thank you thank you Rarity! It's the most wonderful-est gift ever!" She hopped at the tickets, them floating out of her grasp. "Hey!"

Rarity gulped, "Well actually Pinkie Pie-"

"She hasn't decided Pinkie Pie," Spike inducted, balancing his little bat body on Rarity's head.

Pinkie Pie gasped, "What?"

"Decided what?" Fluttershy came into view, being trailed by her small, white, perpetually peeved pet, Angel.

Spike turned to the yellow pegasus, "Rarity needs to decide which of her friends gets her extra ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala."

"Aren't you going Spike?" Fluttershy asked.

Spike scoffed, "No way! I'm not going back to that place again."

"Well then," Fluttershy timidly turned to Rarity, who had continued to lift the tickets away from Pinkie Pie, "I would just like to ask, I mean, if it would be all right, if you haven't given it to somepony else,"

"You too? You want to go to the gala?" Rarity exclaimed, yet another friend who wanted to go, and yet another additional option.

"Oh yes, I mean, yes, or kind of..." She trailed off before suddenly opening up, "It's not so much the Grand Galloping Gala as it is the wondrous private gated garden that surrounds the dance. The flowers are said to be the most beautiful and fragrant in all of Equestria. For the night of the gala, and that night alone, would they all be in bloom and that's just the flora! Don't get me started on the fauna. There's loons and toucans and bitterns, oh my! Hummingbirds that can really hum, and buzzards that can really buzz. White-blue jays, and red jays, and green jays, pink jays and pink flamingos!"

Rarity had been to the gardens before, and Fluttershy might have been a tad bit exaggerating their glamour, "I'm sure it will be beautiful Fluttershy," she replied.

"Wait wait wait! Stop a sec!" Rainbow Dash had swooped down to join the fray.

Rarity turned to her friend surprised, "Rainbow Dash! Were you following me?"

"No," Rainbow Dash responded, "I mean maybe, kind of. It doesn't matter! What does matter is who you give the ticket to! And I'm not going to let some fancypants like you to give it to any old mare."

"Now just hold on!" Applejack had entered the scene.

Rarity looked at the new face, "Applejack! Were you following me too?"

"No," Applejack stated pointing an accusatory hoof at Rainbow Dash, "Ah was followin' her to make sure she didn't try any funny business and steal my ticket!"

Rainbow Dash glared at the orange pony, "Your ticket?"

Pinkie butted in, "Wait wait! Rarity's taking me!"

"I thought I was going," Fluttershy chimed in a barely audible whisper.

The four ponies began to openly argue with each other over the owner of the extra ticket. Rarity's eye twitched, she couldn't stand it any longer.

"QUIET!"

The ponies hushed; Pinkie Pie last because she was babbling something about oatmeal.

Rarity angrily sighed, "Listen, there's no point in arguing about this," she stamped her hoof to make the point clear, "This is my own decision and I'm going to make it on my own. But I can't make my decision with your yapping and arguing! So, scatter, and I'll think of something."

Rarity shooed away the four ponies, who grumbled as they left.

"Somehow I'll think of something..."


Rarity buried her face in her hooves, "Spike darling, what is a lady to do? They all have good reasons to go, but I still want to go! But I have to give it to somepony! Applejack, or Rainbow Dash? Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy? Oh, who should go with me?"

"So, what is your choice madame?"

"I don't know!" Rarity sobbed.

"Rarity, he just wants to take your order," stated Spike.

Rarity opened her eyes. Her emotional outburst had certainly not gone unnoticed. The waiter, and the other ponies eating their food, stared at her.

"Oh, um," she laughed nervously, "I'll have a carrot a la crêpe!"

Spike looked at the menu, still in his fruit bat form, "I got a craving for apples at the moment, you got any?"

The waiter nodded, ignoring that Spike was a bat, and trotted away.

Rarity turned to the small bat across the table, "So Spike, what do you think?"

"Well," Spike looked around, his little blue head could barely reach the top of the table, "I guess the decor a bit blasé, but that's probably your taste rubbing off of me."

Rarity looked at him, "No I mean about the Gala and the ticket and who I should give the ticket to."

Spike groaned, "Your still on that? Just use a random selection spell or something! That is a thing, right?"

Rarity ignored his remark and slumped her head on the table. If only Twilight was here! She would surely have figured this exact situation in a cinch! Of course, right now she was back in Canterlot, some kind of "royal business", something special she said. Unless, what if she wanted a ticket as well? Wouldn't she already have one due to her position? Maybe... she didn't seem like a party type.

The waiter approached, his mane looking a bit more moppy, "Your food madame."

"Thank you serveur! I shall certainly enjoy this meal."

The waiter had a quizzical expression, "Pardon me, but in the rain?"

"The wha?"

Thunder clapped, making Rarity look around. All around her the air was thick with rain, and the rest of the outdoor patrons had already galloped away. She peered up, seeing a perfectly round hole in the clouds above her table.

Rainbow Dash's head poked from over the cloudbank. "Hiya there my bestest friend forever! Enjoying the weather?"

Rarity glared up at the pegasus, "Just what in Equestria do you think you are doing Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow Dash bore an expression of confusion, "What do you mean? I just saw that you were enjoying a little meal, and I wasn't about to let a pesky scheduled storm rain upon my best pals. So, I just kicked a hole and your welcome."

Rarity rolled her eyes, "Rainbow, you're not trying to get extra consideration for the extra ticket by doing me special favors, are you?"

Rainbow feigned an expression of shock, "What? Me? Phh, of course not! Never ever!" Rarity raised an eyebrow, "I'd do it for anypony, seriously!"

"Well Rainbow Dash," Rarity turned up her nose, "I'm not a lady that can be bribed, so I'd appreciate it if you close up that rain cloud right now."

Rainbow Dash groaned, "Fine, have it your way..." She shut the clouds, causing Rarity's mane and food to be immediately drenched in the rain. Spike, in the meantime, continued to completely ignore the weather, happily munching away at his apple.


The rain outside made a continuous pattering against the windows of the Carousel Boutique. The door opened, ringing the old bell Rarity had yet to remove. She stepped in, bat Spike on her back and her mane absolutely soaked with rain.

It was then Rarity noticed that the common area was full of animals. Squirrels scurried among the bookcases, dusting them with their tails. Birds flitted along the upper terraces, scratching away cobwebs and hanging decorations. Most noticeably of all was the cheery-eyed bear carrying old mannequins and boxes about. And at the center of it all was Fluttershy humming to herself as she dusted Rarity's practice mirrors.

"Not you too Fluttershy," Rarity whined.

The pegasus then noticed the wet unicorn, "Oh hello Rarity! Hi Spike! I hope you don't mind, but we're all doing a little spring cleaning for you."

"It's summer," Rarity commented, but this comment was ignored.

Fluttershy flew in close, "Oh, let me help you with that," she motioned over a trio of hummingbirds, who spiraled around Rarity's mane until it was perfectly and pompously styled once again, "And here you go," Fluttershy timidly added, pulling out an apple for Spike. The fruit bat changeling, despite having eaten approximately sixty-three apples already, joyously took the gift and sank his fangs into it.

Rarity narrowed her eyes at the pegasus, "You're not doing this for the ticket, are you?"

Fluttershy shook her head, "Oh no, this was a little gift for my very best friend. It was all Angel's idea. Wasn't it Angel?"

The rabbit stomped nearby, throwing down a stack of papers to stare daggers at Rarity and Spike.

Fluttershy sputtered and hung her head in shame, no longer able to keep up the lie, "Yes, we are just doing this for the ticket."

Rarity sighed and turned to the door, "This was all very nice of you and Angel, darling, but I'm not accepting any extra favors until I've made my final decision. And now that the rain's stopped, I am making my leave." She stamped her hoof once and left the Carousel Boutique.

Standing right outside the door, Rarity's stomach grumbled. She really hadn't eaten anything all day.

"Did I hear a pony's stomach grumble?" Applejack stepped out from behind a nearby tree.

Rarity rolled her head back, "Oh what now?"

Applejack leaned forward, balancing a plate of apple crumble cake on her head, "Don' mean to intrude on ya, but do I hear that you have a hankerin' for a meal?"

Rarity gently pushed the plate aside, "I'm not in the mood for apple crumble at the moment darling."

"Don'chu worry!" Applejack cheerfully said as she pulled out a cart of various apple products, "I got apple pie, apple fritters, apple tarts, apple dumplings, apple crisps, apple crumblers, and apple Brown Betty. Uh, the dessert, not my auntie. What do you say, best friend?"

"No," Rarity started, "I mean no, I don't know who I'm giving the ticket to, and all these favors aren't going to make me choose you! In fact, I'm less sure now than I was this morning!"

"So that's a maybe?"

"That's a yes from me!" Spike interrupted, before flying up and diving into an apple pie.


Rarity had stormed away, leaving Applejack and Spike in his continuous barrage of apples. She had fled into a park-like area of Ponyville plentiful with trees and bushes. She glanced over her shoulder to make sure she wasn't being followed.

"Surprise!" Confetti fell around her as ponies jumped out the nearby bushes.

A party horn blew in her face. "Happy super duper looper bestest best friend surprise party!" Pinkie Pie hollered, dancing around with noise makers.

"What," the shocked Rarity said.

"Rare-it-tee the-best-pony!" Pinkie Pie began to sing, "She's-the-bestest friend-friend-friend!"

"Pinkie Pie!"

"What is it Rarity my super-duper party pony pal? I'm just throwing a surprise party, so you'll give me the ticket!"

Rarity facepalmed, "I appreciate the party and your bluntness, but really Pinkie, no number of favors will make me give away the ticket to the gala."

"Ticket? What ticket?" A nearby pony asked.

Pinkie Pie swirled around to face the assembled ponies for the party. She laughed, "Why Rarity's extra ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala silly!"

In a moment's notice, Rarity felt as all eyes shifted to her. She slowly backed away from the throng of ponies, "Now listen," she nervously laughed, "Let's not gallop to conclusions!"

"Don't worry Rarity," said one unicorn, "Say, have I ever told you how much I love your name?"

A pegasus yelled, "You have the best magic in Equestria!"

"I'll skin my coat for that ticket!"

"I'll give you, my colts!"

"Right right," Rarity stammered over the ever-increasing amounts of suggestions, "I just have to do... a thing."

With that, Rarity dashed off. After a moment of confusion, the crowd of ponies followed. Throughout Ponyville, Rarity was pursued. Pegasi flew from overhead and tossed gifts, nearly causing her to stumble and fall. She had to continuously move away from approaching ponies, trying to hide several times. At one point, Rarity even tried to use a spell to change her appearance. The searching mob was stumped for only a moment when a blue unicorn behind them shimmered and turned white once again.

As she began to become exhausted, Rarity frantically searched for a means to escape. Then she remembered something. In the Castle of the Two Sisters when facing Nightmare Moon, Rarity had pulled off a spell she had never done before, a spell that she didn't even understand. Maybe... just maybe she could do it again.

Focusing on her horn while running, she strained her energy into her magic. Magical white light traveled down horn as it began to glow. It worked! An orb of white light surrounded her, vanishing in a flash of white light, leaving a confused crowd of ponies to skid to a halt.


It was nearing dusk. The Carousel Boutique was quiet; clean, but quiet. Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash stood around, an awkward silence permeating between them. They each had the individual idea to go to Rarity's place, to apologize or maybe get the ticket.

Spike lay passed out on the ground; the engorged fruit bat surrounded by the crumbs of apple fritters.

Suddenly, a hum began to emanate on one side of the room. White light rippled through the air. A bright light flashed and suddenly Rarity dashed out of thin air, running straight into a stack of books.

"Ow! What happened?" Rarity said as she emerged from the books, rubbing her temple, "Wait! I have to hide!" In a second, magic shut the windows and locked the door. Rarity let out a sigh of relief, only then noticing her friends looking at her.

Rarity jumped up in panic, "Gah! No no no! No more favors, no more arguments, no more chasing! I can't decide, I just can't decide! It's important to all of you and I just couldn't handle disappointing any of you because you're all my friends and I want you to all be happy and nothing I do- I can't, I just can't!" She buried her face in her hooves.

A moment of silence passed with the only sound being Rarity's whimpering.

Applejack was the first to speak up, "Actually Rarity, I came here personally to apologize. I didn't mean to put so much pressure on you, and if it helps, I don't want the ticket anymore. You can give it to somepony else. I won't feel bad, I promise."

Fluttershy nodded, "Me too. I feel just awful that I made you feel so torn."

"Yeah, me too," said Pinkie Pie, "I might have come across a wee bit intrusive, and I'd never want to make a friend sad!"

"Well actually-" Rainbow Dash looked at her friends, "If they don't want it, I don't want it either. Besides, I haven't perfected my signature moves for the Wonderbolts anyway."

"We all got so excited about the gala, we forgot how it made you feel," Fluttershy said, "We're sorry."

The rest of the ponies agreed. Wiping her eyes and getting up, Rarity exhaled. She turned to the bat on the ground. "Spike, I need you to take a note."

The fruit bat groaned, shapeshifting back into his insectoid changeling form. He burped, "I'm never going to eat another apple as long as I live." Without lifting a claw, he reached over and grabbed an empty parchment from a nearby pile.

"Make sure you get this down Spike," Rarity started, "Dear Princess Celestia,
In my early days as a full-fledged friend, I have learned that one of the many qualities of friendship is sharing your blessings, but when there's not enough blessings to go around, having more than your friends can make you feel awfully, torn. So, though I appreciate your invitation, I shall be returning both tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala."

The four ponies gasped, "What?"

"If my friends can't go, that I shan't go," Rarity declared punctually.

"Are you sure?" Applejack asked.

Rarity nodded once, "Yes, send the letter Spike." The changeling grimaced as he shot magic out of his horn, making the letter evaporate. "Besides darling," Rarity added, "I've been before, and I'll miss it once if it means spending time with my friends!" They all embraced each other with a hug.

"Urgh," Spike gagged.

"Well bless my saddle Spike," Applejack slyly said to the changeling, "Isn't that just like a boy? Can't handle the least bit of sentiment."

"No," he gagged, "I think it's your apple dumplings coming back up." With a burp, his horn flashed blue, and an unusually thick bounded letter magically appeared.

"Well, that was fast," Rarity commented.

Spike grunted as he opened the letter and began to read. "My dear student Rarity,
Why didn't you just say so in the first place?" He unfolded the letter a bit more making six golden tickets fall out.

They all gasped, "Now we can all go!" The girls cheered and jumped before being interrupted by a low growling.

Rarity blushed, "That might be because I haven't had a thing to eat all day."

"Yep, I can see that. And I'm all outta apples," Applejack replied, casting a sly eye at the encumbered changeling.

"How 'bout we all get some dinner," Pinkie Pie suggested, "Cupcakes are on me!"

"I can get behind that!" Rainbow Dash cheered.

The ponies left the boutique cheering and laughing, but Rarity stopped for a second. Celestia had given her six tickets, but Twilight was in Canterlot at the moment. Then she remembered.

She approached the changeling, still laying on the ground, "Spike? Would you?"

"Yeah whatever," he tiredly groaned, "I'll take it."

Rarity giggled as she placed the golden ticket on his forehead and trotted out of the Carousel Boutique. Leaving Spike alone to deal with his indigestion.

"This is what I get," he mumbled to himself, "for trying out food."