• ...
4
 15
 524

the road to hell...

Rain pattered my windshield as I drove through the winding forest road. I had no idea my college professor lived so far out of the city, I let out sigh as I felt myself getting more uncomfortble looking out at the sea of dead trees and empty farmland. I thought back to conversation I had with my professor, I was complementing his work on his theories on well string theory were mind blowing I just couldn't help myself but gush over his work that’s when he gave a small smile and said.

”Hey come over for dinner at my place, we can talk there.”
I didn’t expect that but I didn’t have any other plans for tonight so I agreed.
Besides its better then having left over takeout... again, I wonder did he invite other students to his house too?
I didn’t dwell on the thought for to long as I looked at the clock on my dashboard.

4:46

”Should've left earlier” I thought to myself.
I rubbed my eyes to the best of my ability as my eyelids got heaver as the drive went on. So I reached for the radio and started to find anything to keep me awake but all I found was a half empty monster can.

“Better then nothing” I mumbled to myself, just as I took a sip I spotted a old two story house that looked like came from the Victorian era.
I checked the address that my professor gave me, and looked over at the house.

“Looks like the place” I parked in the driveway noting the small car next to me, yep this the place.
I grab my coat and began to brave the rain outside, right as I shut the door to my car I felt a gust of wind nearly knock me off balance. I shivered and pulled my hood tighter to my face and listened to rain pounding on it.

I began to run faster as my face got soaked, nearly slipping as I got to the door and the doorbell on the side.
As I was waiting I thought I saw toys scattered across the yard. All of them looked dirty and soaked from the rain, did my professor have kids?

I nearly jumped when I heard the door open.
I turned to see a short skinny man with messy brown hair that was beginning to grey in some areas, He also wore a white t shirt and dark blue jeans, I recognized him as my professor.

“Hey you finally made it, come in you must be wet!” He said giving me a large smile.
I nodded walked inside letting out a sigh of relief.

“Sorry it took me so long, I was having a hard time finding this place.” I explained

The professor waved his hand and laughed “Its alright, I know my place is a little out of the way.”
I looked around the room, I saw paintings and photographs of landscapes, I also saw a large staircase in the middle of the room that led up to a balchany overlooking the living room.

I let out a whistle.
“Nice place huh?” The professor said playfully.
I nodded.

“How did you mange to get such a place!?” I asked clearly amazed.

“Oh I got the place when my parents.... passed” He said frowning.

I shifted in place “I’m sorry for your loss...”

He shrugged “Happened a long time ago” He said Shakely “come on take off your coat you look like your freezing, plus I don’t know about you but I'm starving!”


The sound of plates hitting plates echoed in the rather small dining room, as well as the sound laughter.
“No way that really happened!” I sornted almost spiting out the water I was drinking.

“Believe it, he had ice on his balls for a whole month.” My professor laughed “O-oh and in fact it took the doctors hours to get the racoon off!” he howled pounding the table nearly knocking the dishes over on the floor.
“Anyway that's way I call my best friend ‘stripe dick’.”

I was gasping for air at this point but no matter how hard I tried, I just kept laughing. Everything stopped though when we heard loud thumps coming from upstairs, in the room above us.

My professor's face darkened in a worry glare.

“What was that?” I wondered.

“Don’t worry about it...” The professor got up from his seat with his dish in hand.
“You had some questions yeah?” He called from the living room.

“Uh...yes.” I called after him, as I put my dish in the Kitchen sink.
“I wanted to talk to you about your work, what made you want to study string theory and quantum science in general?”

My professor sat down next to the bookshelf.
“I wanted to study it because of my daughter.” He said quietly.

I stood there in silence for a minute as heard the rain pound on the window.
“Well I didn’t know you had kids.” I laughed awkwardly.

He sat there giving me a blank stare, then he smiled.
“What do you think about that painting there?” He asked

I looked to where he was pointing and at the other end of the room sat a painting of some of the farmland I drove pass,
But the most notable thing about the painting was the most gorgeous rainbow I ever saw in the background.
“Um... It’s very pretty?” I said a little confused at this point.

“My mother made that painting Mr. Furtive.” He said dryly.

“I...see.” I was starting to feel like I didn’t belong here.
“Well who is your daughter if you don’t mind me asking?”

He took a swig from his whine glass.
“Rainbow.... Dash.” He whispered as a smile began to creep on his face.

I raised a brow “The pony?” I asked getting a little more worried a this point.
It was at this moment I began to question my professor’s mental wellbeing.

His smile didn’t falter “I know I know you be starting to think I'm crazy, but I am telling you my daughter is indeed an mlp character.” My professor explained.

I just stared at him for what felt like a century.
“But she’s fictional... she’s a character for a show for little girls and weirdos.” I stated.

The professor was quiet.
“I thought so too.... until one rainy day I found her on the side of the road in a cardboard box.”