• Published 9th Sep 2022
  • 453 Views, 63 Comments

Seekers of the Epitaph: World of Azeroth - Xarmar13



Six friends exploring the world of Azeroth. Seven associates seeking Equestria's doom.

  • ...
4
 63
 453

PreviousChapters Next
The Weaponmaster Warrior and the Strange Shaman

The Valley of Trials, a valley nestled within the mountains of southwestern Durotar and designated by the Horde to serve as a training ground for the next generation of warriors, scouts, and shamans. This place is shared by the trolls of the Darkspear Tribe who lost their home on the Echo Isles as a result of the treachery of a witch doctor known as Zalazane.

Young trolls from the nearby Sen’jin Village, a village set up by the Darkspear trolls as a refuge, and young orcs from the town of Razor Hill or the main Horde capital city of Orgrimmar, who have just reached adulthood, make the journey to this valley as part of their first test to prove that they were ready to set out into the world.

On this day, a young male orc named Lokosh had completed his journey to the Valley of Trials where he would receive his training as a warrior. The orc was eager to begin proving himself to the world and bring honor to himself, his family and his clan. He passed by the guards standing at attention and ran toward a few of the orcs and trolls in the area.

Lokosh wore a harness on his chest and brown leather pants and shoes. His hair was shaved off his head as he felt that it would get in the way

Much to his disappointment however, the trainers directed him into the nearby cavern where hammocks were prepared for the new recruits. The trainers refused to train someone who was not at their best and Lokosh was likely weary from his journey to the valley.

Acquiescing to their orders, Lokosh entered the cavern and found a bed in the back of the cave.
Next to the empty hammock was one that was occupied by a sleeping troll in robes. Underneath him was a small mace and a small round shield. This told the young orc that he would be sleeping next to a shaman in training, not that he really cared since he was eager to get his own training started. Unfortunately, he would have to wait until he had some sleep before the training began.

Putting his ax under his hammock like the shaman did with his weapons, Lokosh climbed into his hammock. It took him a few minutes for him to calm his eager nerves to relax enough to fall asleep.


His dreams were filled with glorious combat where he fought a few animals but mostly night elves, dwarves, gnomes and especially humans. He soon found himself sitting on top of a pile of skulls of his enemies drinking in the cheer from his family, friends and Warchief Thrall.

His moment of glory, however, was interrupted by a nearby voice, accompanied by slow clapping. “Bravo, well done. You certainly have quite the ambition, young orc. That strong body of yours will certainly be worthy of wielding my masterfully crafted weapons when I’m through with it.”

Lokosh readied his weapon to face the mysterious figure. He certainly had never seen anything like his species before. He looked like a horse man with a black coat and a red mane, but he certainly was no centaur. He was bipedal and his feet ended in hooves and was wearing a gray trench coat.

“Who are you?” Lokosh demanded.

“Let’s just say I’m here to give you an eviction notice. But don’t worry, your parents will still hear tales of your glory, it just won’t be you earning it.” Steel Edge looked at the orc’s stone battle ax with a wooden handle and shook his head. “That ax of yours looks like it was forged by an amateur. Let me show you what a real ax looks like.”

Steel Edge pulled out a large, double-bladed battle ax from his trench coat. The blade facing Lokosh was sharpened to a fine point and the steel that composed the weapon had a bright shine to it, as if it had never been used, even though Steel Edge had used the weapon many times over its existence. The handle was wrapped in a very soft and very thick leather to allow the wielder a significant level of comfort when wielding it. It was clear that Steel Edge took very good care of his weapons.

In his youth and inexperience, Lokosh could only feel intimidated when faced against a foe with such a well-crafted weapon. However, he wouldn’t run away from this enemy. Lok’tar ogar after all, he would claim victory or die trying. Either way, there will be honor.

The young orc charged forward with his ax raised while his foe waited patiently, his ax held firmly in both of his hands. As the stone ax came down the steel ax stuck the head of the stone ax. The force of Steel Edge’s attack shattered the orc’s ax while the toe of Steel Edge’s ax cut into the orc’s right cheek.

With his opponent disarmed, Steel Edge bucked the orc with his right hoof into his skull pile, scattering his trophies everywhere. Lokosh groaned as he tried to get out of the pile, his overwhelming foe slowly approaching. Steel’s hoofsteps stomped on any skull in his path, crushing it.

Lokosh got back on his feet and put up his fists, ready for his final stand. Steel planted his ax into the ground and put up his fists. Lokosh made the first move in this duel of fisticuffs. His right fist shot forward but was sidestepped. The orc overextended himself and had his right arm grabbed by the pony before he was flipped over Steel’s shoulder and slammed onto the ground.

Steel grabbed his ax again and prepared to deal the final blow. “It is a shame that one of such potential has to die young, but I have a mission to accomplish and you are but the first stone I must walk upon.”

The last thing the orc saw was the blade of a well-crafted ax between his eyes.


Lokosh awoke from his slumber, he grabbed his head as he awoke with a headache. He endured it as he prepared for his first day in the Valley of Trials.

His fellow sleeper, the troll shaman, awoke not long after he did. He looked blearily at the orc next to his hammock before he willed himself awake and alert. He saw the orc pick up the ax he likely brought with him. The shaman carefully crawled out of his hammock and grabbed his mace and shield. Once he was standing, he shook his head to drive off the last traces of sleep.

Lokosh laughed as he watched the troll struggle with his alertness. Seeing that he seemed alert enough, he decided to say something. “This is going to be one of the best days ever, I can’t wait until I’m cleaving Alliance heads with an edge of steel.”

The troll nodded, “Ya mon, though I hope we be ready to take on dese desert winds.”

Lokosh stared at the shaman for a moment then nodded before switching to a psychic channel, “Good, at least you remembered your passphrase, Desert Wind.“

“I see ya be successful in subjugatin’ dat little orc,” Desert Wind replied.

“Use proper equish when using this channel. It’s bad enough that I have to put up with that troll accent out there, I don’t need it in here as well,” Steel Edge complained.

“Dude, chillax, let him have his fun. If he wants to talk like a troll then let him. It’s not right for us to harsh his vibe,” Greenpeace said through the link.

“I certainly hope you aren’t going to talk like that to those around you, Greenpeace,” Crystal Silicon chided. “Although, if you are then go right ahead, I’d love to see the leader punish you for raising suspicion and ruining the mission because you wanted to behave like a junkie and draw unwanted attention to yourself.”

“He will not jeopardize the mission, I have foreseen it,” Windwhisper defended.

“Way to kill the drama, no eyes,” Gemini pouted.

“Let’s get this meeting started,” Steel began. “To review, we are now taking the place of a number of Horde adventurers and future Horde adventurers, according to Windwhisper’s predictions.”

“You are correct,” Windwhisper affirmed. “However, this will mean that three of us will be unable to participate in the mission for quite some time. Misty will be free to act next year while Gemini will be available in several years and I will take to the field the year after Gemini does.”

“At least my surroundings are exquisite. I can spend the next year in luxury,” Misty said.

“It also means that Desert, Greenpeace, Crystal and I can get a head start on strengthening the bodies of these greenhorn adventurers we’ve possessed,” Steel said. “We will meet again in the future. For now, maintain your personas when around the denizens of this world. You never know when something might get leaked to Sphere, and this world is already under scrutiny since Project Zereth is their current focus of interest.”

Once the others tuned out of the psychic conversation, Steel Edge, or Lokosh, turned to his associate and partner in crime. “So shaman, who are you?”

“Dis one went by Farra’jin. Apparently, one’a dis one’s parents was a deserter from da Sandfury Tribe down in da Tanaris desert.”

Lokosh nodded, “Alright, Farra’jin, let’s begin this journey. And stay in character, people are going to think you’re weird for speaking in the third person.”

Farra’jin shrugged, “I be used to it.”

Their day started once the trainers directed them toward their first task, the same task that every new adventurer did: hunt the nearby boars.

Lokosh was slightly annoyed that he had to use the stone ax the kid whose body he stole used, but he didn’t have a choice since he needed ores and stone to craft anything better and, to his dismay, the only useful mineral around Durotar was copper, a material that was good for the most basic of weapons but nothing else.

Farra’jin provided ranged support to help Lokosh kill the normally docile boars. The only knowledge that the young troll had with shamanism was how to throw a bolt of lightning. He could also empower his weapon but that wouldn’t help him since he was attacking from range. Whenever a boar was giving Lokosh a hard time, Farra’jin also healed his wounds with water magic.

Lokosh and Farra’jin picked up a few of the boar carcasses to return to their trainer as proof of their deed while the trainer sent some help to collect the rest. Boar meat was on the menu tonight.

As disgusted as the orc and the troll were at the thought of eating meat, given the ponies possessing them, they had to adapt to their new bodies that had no problem eating meat, not to mention avoiding unnecessary attention. Thankfully their bodies were craving boar meat so that made things easier.

Their next meal would have to wait though as their trainer directed them further north into the valley which was infested with large scorpions. They needed to gather a number of tails so the trainers could produce more antidote to treat careless recruits. They also wanted the duo to harvest some cactus apples from the cacti in the valley.

Facing the scorpions themselves was a little more challenging since Lokosh had to keep an eye on the stingers while sidestepping the pincers which were trying to nip at his ankles. The orc’s stone ax was able to parry the scorpions’ stinger attacks so he avoided getting poisoned. Lokosh may have been a beginning adventurer, but Steel Edge’s combat experience more than made up for the untrained body.

“‘Ey mon, looks like some poor victim is lyin’ next to dat tree, he don’t be lookin’ well,” Farra’jin pointed out.

The duo approached the wounded troll who coughed as they approached. “I was afraid I would die here with none to know of it. While I was hunting de scorpids of dis valley, I came across a particularly vicious-looking one. I managed to deal a massive blow to its claw before it closed on my leg. I wasn’t ready for da stinger and it sliced down and into me chest.” He gestured to the bleeding wound on his chest. It looked grievous. “Kill dat scorpion for me, me honor must be upheld.” He then pointed to a pass to the south.

The duo followed the troll’s instructions and came across a particularly large black scorpid with red markings. Farra’jin hurled a lightning bolt to get its attention and it clattered quickly to the troll. The scorpion observed the movements of the orc but it wasn’t counting on the orc moving behind it, leaving the creature surrounded. Unfortunately, its body was not designed to fight two opponents from opposite sides and it had to choose.

The scorpion clattered after Lokosh who had his ax ready, only for it to receive a sudden impact of rocks falling on it from an earth shock spell. Its hard carapace allowed it to tank the hit but the impact still cracked its scales. It then chose the shaman as the more dangerous target, which allowed Lokosh to rush in and cut off the scorpion’s tail with a precise chop. With its most dangerous weapon deprived, the scorpion had no means of defending itself from a powerful overhead chop from Lokosh’s stone ax, shattering its scales and crushing the flesh beneath.

With the giant scorpion dead, the duo returned to the wounded troll to tell the tale. The troll smiled faintly before he coughed again. He then told the duo to return to Gornek, their trainer, and tell him to send help.

Lokosh and Farra’jin did just that, while returning to the camp with a few cactus apples. The cook created a pastry out of the apple. As ponies, it would have been really good, as an orc and a troll, it tasted marginally okay.

Other tasks that the duo had to do during their stay in the valley involved whacking peons upside the head to make them get back to work, attack a cave that was overrun with demons and cultists and retrieve a medallion from the cultist running the coven from the cave. They also had to retrieve a mining pick from the same cave and Farra’jin had to cut off the hooves of a couple of canine demons called felhounds who were known to drain life and magic from people with the tentacles on their backs.

When they returned with news and proof of their glory, the duo were celebrated while Gornek presented the both of them with new armor and weapons. Lokosh was given a set of chainmail armor which was still subpar and an ax that was marginally better than the one he was using. Farra’jin was given a set of leather robes and a new mace and shield, also slightly better than the clothing he had on.

Farra’jin’s adventure in the Valley of Trials went on for a little longer as a shaman trainer had him drink some potion she called a sapta that was supposed to allow him to see spirits. He ascended a path into the mountains and found a stone with a symbol that looked like a diamond with a half circle going through it.

He drank the potion and saw what appeared to be a creature made of different sizes of black volcanic rocks, ranging from pebbles to the boulder that composed its chest. The rock that was its head had two glowing lights to simulate eyes.

“I can sense great disharmony between spirit and body within you…” The elemental paused before taking a low, increasingly aggressive tone. “You do not belong in this child’s body, who are you?”

Farra’jin chuckled before a wicked grin plastered his face. “It seems you elementals are quite insightful. Perhaps in time I might be able to synchronize better with this body and fool you elementals. However, it seems that I must destroy you now since you know too much.”

Drawing upon the pegasus magic from his inner being, Farra’jin unleashed a powerful bolt of lightning that crashed against the surprised elemental, shattering it to pieces. Since he needed something of the elemental to complete the quest, he picked up a piece of quartz from its body and walked back to the camp.

“What happened up there?!” Lokosh demanded through the link. “I think the whole camp heard that crash of thunder!”

“The elemental saw through my disguise. We need to be cautious with those who can see the disparities between our souls and the bodies we inhabit,” Farra’jin informed.

“So what’s going to be the cover story for this?”

“A half truth, the elemental was particularly aggressive for some reason and I called upon a particularly powerful air spirit to defend myself. It will give me a bit of fame, but I doubt we will be able to remain anonymous for long for how long we will be in this world.”

The two returned to camp and gave the cover story to the camp dwellers. Thankfully they bought the story. Using the stone Farra’jin brought back, the local totem crafter was able to make an earth totem for the shaman. The totem looked like a bundle of poorly tied sticks with a mask on it. The stone was implanted in the mask. Farra’jin placed the totem on his back for later use.

With their time in the valley at an end, Lokosh seemed particularly eager to get out of there. Once they left the valley, hee then turned to his companion once they were in private in the middle of the badlands. “Alright Farra’jin, help me mine up some copper from this region. I’d like to get out of this amateurishly made armor and into something halfway decent. I’ll make us some weapons as well. Copper may be a lousy material to make anything with, but it’s all we have to work with in this region until we find better materials elsewhere.”

Farra’jin nodded and followed his companion around, searching for veins of copper.

Author's Note:

Here we have Steel Edge who "rolled" an orc warrior named Lokosh and Desert Wind who "rolled" a troll shaman named Farra'jin. For the sake of simplicity, I am making the mane 6 reincarnations as Alliance races while the ELF will be taking the bodies of Horde races. I will do my best to make sure both sides get an equal amount of story time.

Up next: A class/race combination that shouldn't exist until a later expansion and the secret to nature boy's power. (Hopefully these clues won't be so easy to figure out)

PreviousChapters Next