• Published 17th Aug 2022
  • 288 Views, 32 Comments

BlueStar: Defender of Equestria - BlueStarBrony



This is the Story of BlueStar. A young Pony who wanted only one thing to Defend Equestria the land that he loved. But his journey to the Gaurd would not be a easy one.

  • ...
1
 32
 288

Chapter 6: The Royal Guards

BlueStar awoke from dream sleepy but grateful for Princess Lunas appearance. It surprised him but he appreciated the Princess helping him to understand and to heal from the past. As he got up he knew that today was going to be a very important day as he came out of the dream world and the memories of the waking world returned to him.

Knowing that he was going to be a Royal Guard one way or another was reassuring but the chance to watch over the Mane 6 was a exciting opportunity that he knew wouldn’t be offered again. He had read so much about them and he knew how important and special they were. Other than the Princesses they were no other ponies he would be so proud and honored to watch over.

But as he got out of bed he realized he was getting ahead of himself as he prepared a simple breakfast for himself. There were still 3 other ponies that were competing for the role and he may just end up as a Guard. Not that would be a bad thing, to be a Guard and to Defend Equestria is what he wanted most but he would be lying to himself if he denied that he really wanted to be given a special assignment like watching over the Mane 6. Again he was getting ahead of himself or more precisely letting himself get ahead of everything.

So for the rest of the morning he tried to just relax as he waited for what would happen next. Time seemed to pass slowly as he continued to wait and it was especially long since no pony had come to give them any news. Finally BlueStar decided to go out into the small courtyard surrounded by the buildings the new Guards had been temporarily staying in. He saw some of the other Guards including the ones from yesterday and uncomfortably walked up to them. Two of them were talking and BlueStar quietly walked up beside them trying to listen in but once they noticed him one of them said “Hello there I don’t think we’ve really had a chance to talk. What was your name again? Blue…”

“BlueStar” he said with a somewhat shy tone in his voice.
“Oh right I remember now. I’m Sure Fire and this is Stone Wall” Sure Fire replied in a almost cheerful voice.
BlueStar said hello to Stone Wall a rather large strong looking unicorn who looked at him with a serious expression.
“Hello to you too. Do you have any idea what’s going on?” Stone Wall said in his deep voice
“No I was hoping that one of you two knew something” BlueStar said
“Well sorry but we haven’t heard anything yet either.” Sure Fire replied “But they are the Princesses after all. I’m sure they have a lot of decisions to make”
“I guess so” BlueStar replied
“You bet they do, I’m surprised they even have time for little old us” Stone Wall replied grumpily
“Well I’ve always liked to think the Princesses cared about all the ponies. Even us” BlueStar said
“You’re dreaming. We’re just guards. We are completely expendable to them.” Stone Wall replied
“Then why are you here?” BlueStar asked confused. Stone Wall looked insulted with a grumpy expression on his face. “Because I may not like everything the Princesses do but I love Equestria and I want to do everything I can to protect it”
“I think we all do” Sure Fire added in trying to defuse the situation.
“On that I think we can agree” the last pony said as he approached them “Name’s Steel Line, by the way. Hey BlueStar, you were that pony that helped me during our test with Shinning Armor. Thanks.”
“Oh you’re welcome. Just trying to help”
“Well good, but this is still a competition, one that I intend to win” Steel Line said confidently
“We shall see” BlueStar said not quite as confident
“Yes we shall” Sure Fire said “But regardless we’re still on the same team, right?” He stuck out his hoof towards them “Right?” he said again and they all put their hoofs in the center in agreement.
“So where are you all from?” BlueStar asked trying to be friendly
“It doesn’t matter. We’re just mindless guards to every pony, even the Princesses” Stone Wall said grumpily.
“What is your problem?” Sure Fire said
“Nothing, I’m just telling you the way it is, but you’ll find out soon enough”
“Now that’s enough of that Guards!” a new firm voice appeared from around a corner as a Royal Guard dressed in his golden armor came around a corner a serious and disapproving look on his face. They all snapped to attention as the Royal Guard who appeared to be a sergeant approached them.

“So you are the ponies the Princesses have chosen to watch over the 6?” he said seemingly examining each of them as he past. BlueStar struggled to keep his eyes forward pretending that the rock wall across from him was the most interesting thing in the world and kept his eyes locked on it.

“I rarely question the Princesses judgement but of all the ponies in Equestria she picked you four? All of you look like you couldn’t stand watch over a six year old much less six of the most important ponies of all of Equestria!” He shouted at them harshly. At first this kind of…treatment had been hard for BlueStar but slowly he had learned to deal with it since the enemy wasn’t going to be any nicer to them.
“I’m I right Guards!?” He shouted
“No Sir” they all replied
“What was that!? I can’t hear you!”
“NO SIR!” They all shouted

“What!? So you think you’re worthy, well you’re not and to show you how unworthy you are put on your training armor, get back out here and give me 20! I bet all of you will be begging for mercy after just 10! Maybe that will teach you to bad mouth me and the Princesses!”
“Yes Sir!” They all shouted and ran off back to their rooms put on their training armor and ran back out to avoid the wrath of their new drill Sergeant. Once there then each did 20 push ups while the drill sergeant gave his “encouragement” to help them along.

BlueStar initially had struggled with this a lot at first but slowly he managed to deal with it. Still it was not fun doing push ups in heavy armor with a angry drill sergeant in his face, but of course it wasn’t supposed to be.
After there “lesson” was complete they were ordered to stand at attention.
“Well I guess you aren’t completely useless, but if it were up to me I would send you all home right now along with all the other kiddies where you belong!” The drill sergeant shouted but then began to talk slightly softer “But fortunately for you, that is for the Princesses to decide and now they will see each of you one at a time. Remember that few ponies ever get to talk to the Princesses one on one so you better show them the respect they deserve. Soon you will have the honor of standing guard over them and if need be to offer up your worthless little lives for them. Make sure you don’t make fools of yourselves. Now Stone Wall come with me, the rest of you be ready, soon I will be back for you. Guards Dismissed!”

They saluted and each of them relaxed a little as Stone Wall and the Drill Sergeant walked away towards the palace. Once they were gone they tried to get to some more friendly conversation.
“Sorry about that” Sure Fire said “His family have been in the Guard for a long time, including his brother.”
“So why does he hate the Princesses?” Steel Line asked
“He doesn’t hate the Princesses it’s just that his brother was killed in a ambush meant for Princess Celestia. The thing was she sensed the attack coming and ordered the Guard forward anyway.”
“But why?” BlueStar asked stunned
“Because there was no other way but to go forward, but Stone Wall still blames Celestia for ordering his brother to go first, which lead to his death.”
“I can understand how he feels but if I was Celestia I probably would’ve done the same thing. What else was there to do?” Steel Line said
“I agree. We’re Guards it’s our job to keep the Princesses safe and if that means going first than we go.” Sure Fire said and they all nodded in agreement “I’ve known Stone Wall since we were fouls, he doesn’t let go of these things easily, I guess in this case how could any pony, but still he is a very strong pony and I would trust him with my life. Back home he once fought off an entire pack of Timberwolves by himself. It was incredible”
“So you were there then?” Steel Line asked curiously
“Yes I was, but I was rather tied up at the moment shall we say. I was pinned under some logs after a Timberwolf had thrown me into them. I would’ve been done for if Stone Wall hadn’t fought them off.”
“Oh so why are you here then?” Steel Line asked
“Well I assume for the same reason all of you are that we all want to protect the Princesses and Equestria?” Sure Fire replied a little unsure but began to sound more confident when they all nodded yes. “Besides seeing Stone Wall fight that day made me want to be just as strong as he was, maybe even stronger. I think from then on I knew I wanted to be a Guard and stand and fight for Equestria”
“Yeah me too” BlueStar said in agreement “That sounds a lot like when I knew I wanted to be in the Guard after fighting off some Timberwolves to protect some of the local kids. My dad was in the Guard and I wanted to be just like him.”
“Well it sounds like we might have something in common then. I’m the first of my family to join the Guard but I bet your dad had lots of interesting stories about the Guard maybe we can swap stories or something later.”
“I think I’d like that” BlueStar said genuinely looking forward to having someone in common to talk with maybe even making a new friend. Then all eyes turned to Steel Line.
“Well I guess it’s my turn to tell my story?” he answered sarcastically “Well there’s not much to tell, my dad was in the Guard and his dad and his dad before him, each were exceptional in the Guard. So it was only expected that I join the Guard too and keep up the family honor.”
“So do you want to be a member of the Guard?” BlueStar asked cautiously
“Hmm in some ways no, but in other ways yes. I look forward to completing my tour of duty and beginning a career of my own choosing, but I am proud to uphold the families tradition and honor.”
“So I’m going to take that as no then….”Sure Fire said
“Oh don’t get me wrong I am more than happy to be here and defend Equestria, after all some pony has to show you all how it’s done.”
Neither BlueStar or Sure Fires expressions indicated they were not very happy by Steel Lines response. It almost made BlueStar wonder why he was one of the 4 ponies that could be watching over the Mane 6. I guess it was because he had something to learn, of course they all did. Luna had said they wanted a pony that would learn along with the Mane 6 and boy did he have something to learn, but again so did he.

BlueStar was a very solitary pony who had much to learn about Friendship so he wasn’t going to judge Steel Line. But it did start him thinking why these ponies, why him? But Sure Fire spoke again before he could finish the thought.
“Well that’s hopefully the introductions done. What do you think is going to happen now?”
“I’m not sure, but it sounds like we’ve each got a visit with the Princesses and probably some more waiting” BlueStar said
“Really? Do you think it’s going to be more tests? Or maybe they will question us? What questions do you think they will ask us?....” Sure Fire spoke quickly with obvious anxiety.

BlueStar was surprised by this sudden burst of anxiety seeing how cheerful Sure Fire had been, but then he began to feel anxious himself. Even though he had some brief encounters with the Princesses as a foul, he had never talked to either Princess directly outside of dream. Most ponies would be lucky to just see the Princesses with their own eyes much less talk with them directly one on one. Anxiety began to rise out from his chest but seeing his new friend so worried helped him to focus.
“I don’t know but I’m sure it will be ok. We’ve all made it this far” BlueStar said to Sure Fire to try to calm not only him but himself as well. It appeared to be working as their anxious faces relaxed just a little, until Steel Line spoke.

“Relax the both of you. There’s nothing to worry about. I’ve talked with members of high society before it’s not that bad. You just have to know what you are doing.”

Sure Fire and BlueStar both looked at him unhappily but then decided to put aside his comment.
“Thanks for your concern but I think we will do fine” BlueStar said while Sure Fire was still appearing a little anxious.
“Well good then luck. I guess time will tell. Now if you excuse me I think I will go brush up on my etiquette we are about to meet the Princesses after all.” Steel Line said before walking away leaving BlueStar and Sure Fire by themselves.
“Well he’s sure a fun guy” Sure Fire said sarcastically “Do you think he will be just as fun after all this is over?”
“I’m not really sure I want to find out, I can’t imagine that he can be even more fun that he is now” BlueStar said and they both giggled in agreement.
“Well it was nice meeting you BlueStar, but I guess we should go both and prepare now. He is right that it still is a competition.” Sure Fire said reluctantly
“I guess so. However it was nice meeting you too. I hope later I can tell you some of my fathers stories and maybe a few of my own.”
“Of course BlueStar regardless of what happens I hope we can still be friends. I have a feeling none of us have many of those.”
“Yeah you’re right” BlueStar said in agreement
“Hey don’t be sad, it’s just one more thing we have in common.” Sure Fire said encouragingly offering his hoof “Whatever happens friends?”
“Friends” BlueStar said in agreement shacking hoofs with Sure Fire
As they turned to go Sure Fire said one last thing
“Stay Strong and Pony On BlueStar”
“What was that?” BlueStar asked surprisingly
“Oh that was something I once heard”
“Well I like that I think I’m going to remember that”
“Well good BlueStar until next we meet, Stay Strong and Pony On BlueStar”
“Stay Strong and Pony On Sure Fire” BlueStar said and they both walked back into their rooms anxiously waiting for their turn to speak with the Princesses of Equestria.