• Published 5th Aug 2022
  • 1,099 Views, 71 Comments

The Equestria Chronicles: Prelude - Slippin_Sweetie



After being alerted by the Cutie Map, our heroes must take the laborious task of preparing for a very long road ahead of them. But even getting on the road will prove to be a challenge.

  • ...
4
 71
 1,099

Discordant Harmony

After Rarity gathered the rest of the girls with her frantic cries, the Mare’s returned to their shock to find one Discord tending to the lame fillies and one absent Twilight Sparkle.

Discord, who was wearing magician’s attire, performed in front of the three girls, pulling a handkerchief from Scootaloo’s ear, as for the first time since Starlight’s removal spell was put on her, shrieked in terror and excitement.

“That felt weird!” Scootaloo giggled as a small smile began to form on her, and her fellow crusaders’ faces before the repressing feeling of disinterest and apathy began to encompass them.

“Discord?” Gasped the Mare’s, “What are you doing here!?” Snapped Rarity.

Discord grumbled at the sight of the fillies returning disinterest, “That marks magic tricks off the list…perhaps voice impressions will get you all back in the swing of things-Oh, hello Rarity, girls.”

“Discord, what in tarnation are you doing to Scootaloo, and where is Twilight?” Applejack asked accusingly.

“Oh, she went to find that pony Starlight; of course, as the caring and compassionate friend I am, I gave her the most sound advice I could.” Chuckled Discord.

“Sound advice? Yeah right! What sort of ‘sound advice’ could you of all creatures give?” Snarked Rainbow Dash.

“Well, Rainbow Dash, I told her if she was to find this villain, she needed to think like a villain.” Smirked Discord.

“You told her WHAT?” Cried Pinkie Pie, “If it was a game of pretend, you should’ve asked me to play!”

Discord, in an instant, appeared next to Pinkie Pie as he began to rough up her curly mane, “Oh Pinkie Pie, this is no mere game.” He Tsk’d, “It’s a test.” He’d remark as he began putting his weight on Pinkie Pie.

She’d quickly move away from Discord and give him a distrustful glare, everypony in the room knew that a test from Discord could only mean trouble.

“Discord….we really don’t have time for one of your…lessons.” Fluttershy pressed; she’d give a pleading look to the Draconequus.

“Especially considerin’ the severity of the situation, just look at Applebloom!” Barked Applejack.

Applebloom lazily looked over to her older sister as a small smile curled on her lips for a moment.

Discord’s brow raised at the sight of Applebloom’s fleeting moment of happiness, “Yes….why this is perfect!” Exclaimed Discord.

“Whatever do you mean, the sight is ghastly!” Cried Rarity.

Discord shook his head, “No, no, no, I think I have the solution to your problem; I can entertain and amuse the fillies for all of eternity if I wanted. But, the fleeting happiness and amusement I can give them means nothing compared to your relationship with them.”

“So you’re saying we need to…hang out with them?” Questioned Rainbow Dash.

“Go make some memories, have some fun, and most importantly of all….do this in a timely manner in case this spell’s effects are irreversible with enough time.” Discord said as he sat down on his throne.

“....That was…awfully clear.” Admitted Applejack.

“Wait… didn’t you mention that Twilight was going after somepony named Starlight, as in Starlight Glimmer?” Whispered Fluttershy.

“Did you meet this pony in a small town from the Cutie Map?”

“Y-yes.” Nervously answered Fluttershy.

“Then yes, it’s that Starlight.”

“Starlight Glimmer is back!?” Shouted the girls.

“Yes, yes, the evil villain returns for revenge; surely you all should be used to this by now.” Sarcastically replied Discord.

“What are we going to do? We can’t both help Twilight and help the fillies.” Asked Applejack.

“Sure you can; why don’t you, Rarity and Rainbow Dash tend to the fillies while Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie go after Twilight.” Suggested Discord.

“Oh my gosh, stop being so helpful; it’s freaking me out!” Snapped Rainbow Dash.

“To say it’s unusual would be an…understatement.” Admitted Rarity.

“OH MY GOSH, STARLIGHT USED A SPELL ON DISCORD!” Shrieked Pinkie Pie.

Discord chuckled in amusement as he quickly grabbed Fluttershy, “Oh no, I was just touched by the kindness of my tender-hearted friend here, and from Twilight’s forgiveness for my…most recent blunder, I decided to turn a new leaf, fully commit to my redemption.”

Discord put on his best smile as he attempted to look as genuine as physically possible to the unconvinced Mare’s, excluding Fluttershy.

“Oh, that’s great.” Smiled Fluttershy, she’d slowly look over to the Mare’s, “Right girls?”

“Right…” Replied Applejack

“Sure…” Shrugged Rainbow Dash

“I suppose it doesn’t matter if it helps us and the fillies.” Sighed Rarity.

“No, no, no! I know something is up! I know what’s going on!” Pinkie quickly leered toward Discord as she stared the Draconequus in the eyes, “.... You’re totally under Starlight’s mind control spell!”

“Er, Pinkie Pie, we don’t know if she even has that.” Corrected Applejack.

“But it makes no sense that Discord is….making sense! This is clearly mind control!” Shouted Pinkie as she accusingly pointed her hoof at Discord.

“Um….if Discord was under mind-control, why would he be helping us?” Fluttershy interjected.

Pinkie Pie promptly lowered her hoof defeatedly, “Oh…uh….” She’d awkwardly smiled at the group, “Sorry, why don’t we go find Twilight Fluttershy?”

Discord slowly placed down Fluttershy, “They’re at the Everfree forest; my best guess is to check with Zecora.”

“T-the Everfree forest?” Whimpered Fluttershy.

Pinkie Pie quickly wrapped her leg around Fluttershy, “C’mon, Fluttershy, we need to help Twilight and make sure that nopony else can have the fun taken out of them. Can you imagine how awful Scootaloo, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle feel? They aren’t even excited about the party I’m planning.”

“I feel nothing.” Blankly replied Sweetie Belle.

“.... You’re right; we need to go, good luck girls,” Fluttershy said as she nodded toward Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash. She’d turn to face Discord, “And thank you, Discord; this was so selfless of you. I’m so proud of you.”
Discord quickly flicked away a tiny tear as he waved off the two Mare’s, “Farewell Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie! If you see Twilight, send her my regards!”

Pinkie Pie quickly leered toward Discord one last time, “I’m watching you….I know you’re up to something. I can feel it.” whispered Pinkie as she was pulled away by Fluttershy.

Once the two left the boutique, the rest of the girls turned to Discord, “Oh, do you three need a moment with them? I’ll just show myself out.” With a snap of his fingers, Discord disappeared in a spark of magic.

Rainbow Dash quickly zipped up to Scootaloo, “Scootaloo, you know, would be really cool?”

“Mmm?” Muttered Scootaloo.

“If we went flying, or maybe I helped you do some epic death-defying trick?”

“Yeah….I guess…” Yawned Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash, without hesitation, scooped up Scootaloo with her front legs and darted through the door in a blur.

Applejack sighed, “I suppose I’ll take Applebloom back home and help her find…herself.” With assistance from Rarity, the young filly was placed on the older Mare’s back, and with the tip of her hat, she’d soon leave the Boutique.

Rarity turned to face her sister; it was time to get emotional, time to get serious! Time for some bonding, “Er…Sweetie Belle, why don’t we do some knitting? You love knitting!”

“I don’t feel like it….” She’d grumble.

Rarity quickly pulled some thread and needles with her magic as she climbed onto the bed next to her sister, “Come now, Sweetie Belle, you were doing so well. It’d be really…erm cool if you knitted something with me.”

“....Do you promise to let me pick the fabrics?....” asked Sweetie as she gave a pleading look to Rarity.

“I promise.” Smiled Rarity as she picked up Sweetie Belle, and left the room.

Spike quickly looked around, realizing he wasn't noticed during the entire ordeal between everyone. A fleeting thought that he learned invisibility crossed his mind before he shrugged and quietly left the room after Rarity and Sweetie Belle. Quickly leaving the Boutique as he began sprinting toward the Everfree Forest.

"Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, wait up!" Shouted Spike.