• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 1,421 Views, 29 Comments

Blind Melody - Neon Shine



When life gives another chance to relive it, but it includes being in a new world, will you accept?

  • ...
5
 29
 1,421

Chapter 1: Between Fairy Tales and Happy Endings

Chapter 1:
Between Fairy Tales and Happy Endings

I was guided to the stage, then sat on a chair with my guitar in my left hand. I can feel the spotlight touch my face, signaling me to start. This is the only way I can change things for me, and I will not miss this chance...

A week earlier...

"Gary! Get up it's time to get ready for school!" Gary's mom called out.

"Alright", with that said, he sits up on his bed and stretches his sleepy limbs.

"Wake your brother as well" she added. "Ok" Gary murmured.

10 minutes later, the brothers heads to the kitchen while Gary is guiding his brother down the stairs. "I got this, thanks for the help, Gary" said his brother. "Anytime, Gus" Gary replied, he let go of his elder brother to let him walk by himself.

Gus Hogwill is the eldest brother in the family, but he is born blind. With the help of his younger brother, Gary Hogwill, he manages to live his life with fewer problems. Gus has also has good memory, he was able to memorize his path around the house and school.

After eating their breakfast and prepared themselves for school, their father drove them to school in utter silence.

"Hey Gus, I really think you should join the talent show, to get your grades up and-" gary was cut off by his brother, " I told it's not a good idea."

"I think it's a good one," his father disagreed, "you can play the guitar blindfolded" his father said jokingly. (the reason why he is wearing a blindfold is because his shades always get stolen or broken by accidents and by his so called friends).

"Think it like this bro, if you show your guitar skills that you learned from mom, they could think different about you. This could change your life!" Gary exclaimed.

"Your mother supports this as well. You know, your brother here is joining the talent show too" said their father.

"Yup, gonna show them some magic they will never forget" said Gary with a sly smile.

"Alright fine, but just one song" said Gus. Gary cheered in joy that his brother will attend the talent show in school. Then silence filled the rest of the trip to school.

The brothers reached the school and entered to their respective rooms. Mrs. Smith, Gus' homeroom teacher, told him to meet her after class.

Gus always had problems in school, not because of the topics and lessons in class, but instead it's the occupants inside the classroom. Gus is the main target for bullies, without his eye sight, he has no other choice but to trust people when he needs them. Gus was always tricked, pranked, and lied to by most of his classmates, but he never doupted his dicisions he makes, he knows that people around doesn't want to really hurt him. Gus rarely shows his emotions to the public, it's mosty seen at home. Through all the insults, injuries and pain made by his colleagues, he never seems to react to any of them.

After class...

The bell rang, telling everyone that class is over for today. Gus sat on his chair, patiently waiting for his homeroom teacher, Mrs. Smith. The room was silent, until he heard footsteps. He can tell that it's a "she" because it sounds like she is wearing heels.

"Mrs. Smith?" he called out to be sure.

"Yes, it's me" she said flatly. She sat behind her desk and began a conversation. "I heard from your father that you declined to get surgery to make you see. I was wondering, why reject an offer like this? This can really help you-"

"Because he wanted me to be a child he wanted me to be" he interrupted. "He doesn't really respect me for being blind. To be honest, I rejected the surgery since I was 10"

"Then why?" she simply asked.

"Because it's not me, for me getting that surgery is like replacing the original with a clone that is much better than the first" he said sounding depressed. "I mean, I made it this far right? I don't need my eye sight to live my imperfect life".

To be honest myself, your father told me to try to convince you to get the surgery, bit I understand and respect your reasons" she said feeling pity for him.

I appreciate your understanding. Oh and when is the talent show coming up? My brother is looking forward for me to join" feeling a little embarrassed by asking.

"It's on Tuesday at 3 pm, I didn't know you have a talent" she said in surprise.

"My mom taught me to play the guitar, this will be my first time to actually perform in public" said Gus.

Well, I'll be looking forward to it, and don't worry about registering, I'll do it for you. Oh and since this your first time performing, I'll give you a little tip. Play a song your most comfortable with or something that can help you express your feelings" she said.

"Alright, Thank you, ma'am" said Gus as he stood up and heads to the exit.

At the entrance of the room, Gary waits for his brother to help him get home.'I wonder what they are talking about in there' he thought to himself. His train of thought was interrupted by his brother's voice calling him.

"Ready to go, bro?" asked Gary. Gus simply replied with a nod. Gary held his hand and guided him around the school.

"So, what are you guys talking about?" Gary asked.

"Nothing really important" he answered. "Oh, alright" said Gary as they continue their trek home.

It's finally the weekends, the brothers are looking forward to the talent show.

Gary is at the yard practicing his magic talents for the upcoming talent show, but Gary's magic isn't a simple a "pull rabbit under your hat" trick we see in other magicians.

Gary Hogwill is the youngest child in the family. He is one of the well educated students in school; he got good grades and the smartest in class. But spite all the features of a great student, Gary is gifted in something even more special in him. Gary has the D.N.A. of his ancestor Necky Dame, legends says he is a wizard that can cast spells beyond our wildest imaginations. Gary discovered this special talent when he was 7, he was helping his mom clean up a shelf with figurines which his mom collected for a hobby. Then, Gary's mom accidentally knocked over a figurine. Gary reaches to catch it from falling, but it slowly slows down it's speed and made a full stop in mid-air. and Gary has full control of it. Years have passed, Gary was able to practice this magical arts slowly without being seen by others or his father, who knows how will he react to this.

Gary scans the area to be sure he is alone in the yard. When he is sure he is indeed alone, he began to concentrate on a small rock that he placed at the middle of the yard. He slowly levitates the rock in the air slowly but surely. He then thinks about making it disappear, with a sound of *poof*, the rock vanished.

Satisfied by his progress, he heads back inside his home to do his homework, not wanting to show more of his *talent* in the public too much.

Inside the house, Gus is in his room with his mom practicing his singing and the guitar, but Gus didn't tell exactly what song he chose for the show.

One night, Gus had an argument with his father of what his teacher told him, but things went out of hand, his father went too far. He said that Gus' life is nothing but a gamble, when he heard when his wife is pregnant, he was caught off-guard, and he never want a child too soon.

Gus fell to a depression, losing the love of his parents, but the love and care of his younger brother kept him sane, like a bandage in a large crack in his broken heart.

Three days of sadness, the day of the show is starting. The competitors are all nervous,except Gus, who is still depressed about what happened. Gary tried comforting him, it worked a short while, but he still suffering from his heavy heart.

Time has passed, the competitors showed their talents with confidence, but Gary seems to have caught most of their attention with his "tricks".

Gus was last to perform. The MC started to introduce him, he was welcomed with a low applause, the audience was busy talking with each other other and some are surprised to see him on stage for the first time.

I was guided to the stage, sat on a chair with my guitar in my left hand. I can feel the spotlight shine on my face, signaling me to start. This is the only way I can change things things for me, and I will not miss this chance. I untied my blindfold to reveal my soulless eyes, and prepared myself to begin.

"Pick a song that can help me release my emotions" he recalls to himself.

Prince Whateverer= Between Fairy Tales and Happy Endings

i used to be the one
stuck on the sidelines-
but lately things have started to change

i would've never thought
that being the way i am
could make everything end up this way


this is never what i would have expected
theres nothing wrong but they still want me corrected

why cant you just let me do what i do
im not hurting anyone so why are you
(why are you?)


how could you
try and change who i've always been
what did i do wrong?
i never wanted any of this
im sorry if i ever offended any of you
but i am who i am,
there's not much more that i can do

a wise man once said that friendship was magic
the way i see it, its been nothing but tragic
i tried my best and it wasnt quite there
a fairy tale but no happy ending for this man?

(a single tear fell in my lifeless eyes, as I recall my memories)

i just dont know what went wrong
they don't love me any more so, 'so long'

now im left out, on my own
wish there was somewhere for me to call home

is it not enough that im in the background?
you wanna drop me because of how my voice sounds?

well i apologize if i ever made you sad
but i will not be sorry for being who i am

this is who i am

how could you
try and change who i've always been
what did i wrong?
i never wanted any of this
im sorry if i ever offended any of you
but i am who am,
there's not much more that i can do

a wise man once said that friendship was magic
the way i see it, its been nothing but tragic
i tried my best and it wasnt quite there
a fairy tale but no happy ending for this man?

(Tears start to flow as I recall the pain I suffered made by my enemies, friends and family)

how could you
try and change who i've always been
what did i wrong?
i never wanted any of this
im sorry if i ever offended any of you
but i am who am,
there's not much more that i can do

a wise man once said that friendship was magic
the way i see it, its been nothing but tragic
i tried my best and it wasnt quite there
so will there ever be a happy ending for this man?

As the song came to an end, the entire stadium is filled with nothing but silence, no cheering and no applause. The audience weren't expecting any of this to happen, the song alone told a story about his imperfect life that Gus lived ever since. Some of the audience felt pity, feeling sorry for understanding how hard his life really is. The others felt guilt and regret, as if they never really wanted to do those mean things to him when seeks help or guidance.

Gus stood up from his seat and tries to make an exit, not wanting to waste any of their time. Gus shakily walks to the stairs to reach the exit, but fell half-way face first on the ground. Covered in dirt, tears, bruises and blood escaping from his fresh scars, he took his guitar and bravely continues his journey home.

Somewhere behind the stage, Gary saw his brother heads to the stairs to get down. He was about to run towards him to help, but instead saw his blindfold on the rails of the staircase. 'He must have dropped this when he is heading down' Gary said to himself. He took it and heads downstairs to assist him, but he is almost out of sight.

In the crowd of people talking about Gus' performance, a man with a large bag behind him, saw Gus pass by him. The man wanted to say something to him, so he followed him to say his piece.

During Gus' journey home, he felt the wind somehow pulling him, like a vacuum but weaker. He let the wind take him, thinking it would help him around the city. With every step he took, the pulling wind gets stronger and stronger as he went deeper to the city. He suddenly bumped into a wall, not really expecting a wall to be in front of him. But he found it strange because that's where he can feel the wind is pulling him.

Stepping back a few steps, the wall in front of him suddenly emits a bright light, he can feel it touching him as he approaches it to find the source of light.

Behind him, the man with the bag lurked form a corner and saw Gus walking towards a bright light from a wall. He walks slowly towards Gus to get a better view what's going on. Suddenly, the light gets brighter, blinding the man. The light engulfs Gus and the man, and slowly fades away. The alley was empty, Gus and the man Disappeared.

Later, Gary reached the alley where he saw Gus ended up, but it's empty. Gary scans the area for another exit, but it seems there is only one path and ends with a wall. He investigates further by going in the alley to look for him, thinking he is hiding.

The alley gets darker as he went deeper, he then uses his magical talent to emit a light for him to see. When he reaches where the alley ends up, he found it weird that his brother just disappeared in an alley. When his hand with the magical aura touches the wall, a small spark arks from his hand to the wall. Then it begins emitting a bright light once again. The light surrounded and blinds him, then it slowly fades away. The alley is once again empty, like have ever happened in the alley.