• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 3,668 Views, 110 Comments

Starcraft: Wings of Friendship - Lord Frigus



A little Starcraft and MLP crossover that popped into my head.

  • ...
8
 110
 3,668

Chapter Four

Chapter Four

To be fair, Twilight had been expecting Pinkie to be responsible for the ruckus being caused within the Armory. Matt, on the other hand, had not. With all of the balloons, streamers, confetti and treats, he couldn't help but adopt an expression similar to that of Jim's.

"Sir... what happened in here?" he asked.

Jim shook his head slowly, regaining his composure. "Pinkie Pie happened." he said.

"But... how?"

Twilight spoke up. "I think it would be for the best if you don't think too much about it." she explained. "Trust me, nothing good can come of it."

Jim shook his head even more, like he was trying to forget something and was unable to. Matt merely straightened himself up and whispered something in Jim's ear. Jim nodded and turned to face Rainbow and Applejack. Before introductions could be made, though, Pinkie jumped in front of Jim and started bouncing excitedly.

"You know," she began, "there's a bunch of party here with nobody enjoying it!"

Twilight chuckled. "I agree, and there's no party like a Pinkie Pie party. Why don't we all get introduced while enjoying the refreshments Pinkie's prepared for us?"

"Aww yeah!" Rainbow exclaimed. "Let's party!"

The others made their own agreements with the idea and the party began. Each of the mares took this time as well to explain what had happened to each of them leading to their reunion. All of them except for Pinkie, who had been uncharacteristically quiet for most of the party.

"Pinkie, darling, is something the matter?" Rarity asked.

"I don't know." Pinkie replied. "I feel like something is about to happen, but my Pinkie Sense isn't going off. It's really starting to bother me-" Pinkie cut herself off as her eyes went wide and she stopped moving completely for a moment. This frightened her friends as she never sits still for any length of time, at least until she spoke up. "Knee pinch... nose itch... spine twitch... Huh, that's weird. I've never had that kind of combo before."

Jim looked to Twilight for an explanation, the confusion clearly etched on his face. Twilight chuckled, glad to see that yet another thing about her friends was unchanged: Pinkie's Pinkie Sense.

"That was what we call Pinkie Sense." Twilight explained. "It's a phenomena that exists about Pinkie that allows her to predict the future in the very short term, though nopony's sure why. I tried figuring out once and it didn't really end well. It's just one of the things about Pinkie that makes her Pinkie." A look of worry crossed Twilight's face for a moment. "However, this combo is unknown." She turned to Pinkie. "I thought you knew all of the various meanings of your Pinkie Sense."

"I thought I did too!" Pinkie said, a little distraught. "What if this is something really bad? I don't want anything else bad to happen because that would be no good."

"Come on now, sugarcube." Applejack comforted Pinkie. "What's the worst it could be?"

As if tempting fate by that statement, the sound of a woman's voice could be heard coming over the intercom. "Warning: Zerg Incoming. Prepare vessel for attack."

This visibly startled Jim, along with Swann and Matt. The three stood up immediately and gave each other a worried glance. Jim then whispered to Matt, saying something that Twilight couldn't hear. He then turned to Swann.

"I want you to get the Vikings and the Wraiths manned and out there defending the Hyperion." he said. "We don't know how many Zerg are going to be out there, so I'll leave the exact number up to you."

"Sure thing boss." the engineer confirmed and proceeded to start preparing various pieces of tech in the room via the pedestal near the edge of the raised platform.

Jim then turned to face Twilight, who was, at this point, very confused.

"Jim, what going on? What are these 'Zerg'? What are 'Vikings' and 'Wraiths'?" she asked.

"I'm sorry for this Twilight, but I can't tell you that right now." he said. He kneeled down to look her in the eyes. "I promise I will once this is over. For now, though, I want you and your friends to wait on the bridge with Matt. You should be safe there."

"Safe from what?" Rainbow asked. "What's going on!?"

Jim sighed. "You'll know soon enough." He then turned and walked out of the Armory, with an expression of grim determination on his face.

It wasn't long after when Rainbow decided there had been enough standing around for one day.

"Come on!" she practically yelled. "I wanna know what's going on!"

"I agree, Rainbow." Twilight said, nodding. She turned to Matt. "Could you please tell us what's going on?"

"I can, but we need to get to the bridge now. I can show you once we're there."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Bridge

Twilight stared in awe out of the main window of the Hyperion's bridge. The scene outside was like nothing she'd ever seen before. There were these creatures, insect-like and reddish in color. They had wings that appeared to leathery, like those of a bats. They were slender, with what appeared to be two mouths, near what Twilight perceived to be the top of their bodies and on near the bottom. The mouth on the bottom of each of the creatures appeared to be shooting some kind of projectile.

There must have been hundreds of these things, but it was what they were shooting at that caught Twilight's attention. There were two mechanized vehicles firing back at the creatures, one slightly triangular in shape and the other appeared to be three arms coming off of a central point. The triangular ships were firing cylindrical object at the creatures, objects that exploded on impact. The others appeared to be firing beams of energy at them.

While the six ponies watched the battle with great interest, Matt issued an order through one of the many terminals on the bridge. "I want all batteries to open fire on the Zerg." he ordered. There was a "Yessir" from the other side. Matt chuckled and walked up to Twilight and said "Watch this."

The ship's outer lights began to glow brighter in several distinct spots along its length. Each spot grew brighter until they began rapidly firing energy blasts, each blast hitting a Zerg and avoiding the other ships with pinpoint accuracy. Twilight's jaw dropped at the display of power as it soon became apparent that the creatures were almost all gone.

While most of the girls were fairly impressed by the display, Fluttershy seemed almost outraged. Twilight noticed this and watched in horror as Fluttershy stomped up to Matt and looked him right in the eyes with her Stare. "How could you do something like that?!" she yelled, Matt taken aback by the sudden outburst and increasingly cold stare he was receiving from the pegasus. "How could you just kill ALL of those creatures?!"

"Miss Fluttershy, I can explain." he replied, somewhat shaken. "Those creatures are called mutalisks, and they are a subspecies of a parasitic race called the Zerg. They are a ruthless race that seeks to destroy and assimilate all species of the universe into themselves." Matt was standing his ground against Fluttershy at this point. "Those creatures would have likely killed us or worse had we not defended ourselves against them."

"Oh.. I'm so sorry... I didn't know..." Fluttershy said quietly, beginning to cry.

Matt breathed a sigh of relief. "Hey now, it's okay. I shouldn't have snapped back at you. You didn't know what they were, so why wouldn't you react that way?"

"Y-you mean it?" Fluttershy asked, sniffling slightly.

"Of course." Matt replied. He was surprised when she pulled him into a hug, but he returned it nonetheless.

It was quite some time later that Jim returned to the bridge. He saw five of the six ponies discussing something while Twilight was at one of the terminals. He walked over to Matt, who had been examining the astral map.

"How'd it go?" he asked.

"Well, sir, they took it far better than I'd thought they would, to be honest." Matt replied. "After it was over, they were quiet for a while until Twilight wanted to access some of the ship's files." Matt made a point to avoid mentioning Fluttershy's little... outburst.

"What kinds of files?" Jim asked.

"Files on the various units at our command." Matt said. "She got the hang of the terminal fairly quickly and has even bookmarked a few blueprints for enhanced suits that Swann's been working on."

Jim thought about this information for a few moments when Twilight looked up from the terminal she was at. She quickly trotted over to Jim.

"I have something I want to talk to you about." she said. "Could you please come look at this with me?"

"Sure thing, Twilight." Jim responded.

Twilight led him over to the terminal that she had be working at. He could see that she had the armor templates for the marauders, firebats, reapers, and medics up on the screen. "Your technology is so much more advanced than that of Equestrian, but I happen to have some knowledge of computers." She pulled her hoof across the screen and pressed several buttons.

"I was able to take the designs for these few armor types and play around with them a bit. I think you might be interested to see what I've come up with." Twilight pressed another on-screen button and the armor designs shifted. They now resembled the forms of ponies.

"Swann, get up to the bridge. Now."