• Published 12th Jul 2022
  • 704 Views, 6 Comments

Why This River Runs - BrushyBill1881



A Spike and Applejack Romance: Inspired by the song "Why This River Runs" by Dan Seals, released 2002

  • ...
2
 6
 704

A Dream

We open our next tale in a place familiar to all. The comforting sights and sounds of Ponyville. A place we all wish to go, a life of simplicity and little danger. Well actually minor danger. Never mind lots of danger, but for the most part all danger focuses on the Princess of Friendship and her friends so we can get away pretty easily. I am getting off topic. Back to the story. This one does in fact actually concern the famous group of friends. As we wander the streets we come to the Carousel Boutique. A place that looks like someone turned a carousel into a mansion, even a castle. Approaching the boutique is a short purple dragon, and here is where the story begins.

Spike was walking up to the Carousel Boutique, trying to settle his heart before he knocked on the door. Spike found out he fainted less around his crush if he calmed himself prior to seeing her. "I hope she needs some help today, she didn't yesterday...or the day before." he paused for a second. "But she for sure needs it today." Spike smiled confidently and knocked.

"Coming." he heard Rarity call in a sing song voice. This made his heart leap. Rarity opened the door. "Oh Spike, hello I wasn't expecting you here today." Spike rubbed the back of his head.

"Yeah, well I was done at the library, Twilight is out of town, and I thought I'd come see if you need help with anything."

"Oh that's very sweet of you Spikey Wikey, but I actually have a meeting with a new client today and they'll be here any minute now." Rarity looked around Spike, looking for her new customer.

"Oh...I totally get it," Spike sighed. Rarity looked at the small purple dragon with pity.

"You know, if you would like to help someone, I heard that Applejack could use some help at Sweet Apple Acres." Spike looked over towards the farm. "She said something about heirlooms? I'm not quite sure what she meant, but sounds like a big project." Rarity smiled.

"Yeah...I'll head over there. See you later Rarity, good luck with you new client," Spike waved as he walked away. He began the trek to Sweet Apple Acres. He looked to his left and saw the river than ran through Ponyville and fed the ditches for the farm. It was flowing slowly. Spike laughed to himself. "Moving slow, just like my progress with Rarity." he shook his head and slapped himself. "Come on Spike, don't go all mopy and emo." He continued to look at the river, noticing small rapids and eventually coming to beginning of one of the farms ditches. Spike looked up from the ditch and saw Applejack on a hill that the ditch led to. Her and Big Mac were digging holes for what looked like new saplings. "That doesn't look like heirlooms." He made his way up the hill to the two siblings. Applejack looked up from one of her saplings and saw Spike.

"Well howdy there Spike, whatcha doin here?" she asked wiping her forhead.

"Hello Applejack, Rarity said you may have needed help with heirlooms." Spike looked over at the young trees. "But looks like she was mistaken. The orange mare chuckled.

"She wasn't completely wrong. Come take a look," she walking to the cart of saplings with Spike. "These are called heirloom apples."

"I've never heard of that kind of apple."

"Well actually Spike, heirloom isn't just one variety, it more of general name for older apples. Heirloom apples are apples that were grown by the first ponies who planted orchards here in the Ponyville Valley."

"Wow, how many varieties are there?" Spike looked at all the different colored trees.

"Oh way to many to name all, but here we have about 5 varieties." Applejack started pointing and naming them "We have Fillbarrel, Purple Mountain Majesty, Fall Pippin, Folsom, and Golden Harvey."

"Odd names." Spike looked up at Applejack. "Why'd you decide to start this new um Heriloom Orchard?"

"We've always wanted to, Granny Smith talks about some of the apples she saw growing up. We finally got the opportunity when a researcher from Hotchkick contacted us about doing some research."

"Where's Hotckick? Yet another thing I've never heard of." Spike laughed. This made Applejack giggle. It confused Spike. Applejack always had a laugh that was full of confidence this was more, girly? He ignored it when she started talking.

"Oh Hotchkick is way out west of Equestria. A small little town, but that researcher is pretty well know, at least in the Agricultural and History fields. His name is Brushy Bill."

"Oh yeah! I know about him. Twilight talks about him anytime she finishes one of his books or any history book."

"Yup this is all thanks to him." Applejack smiled at the trees.

"Well do you need any help?" Spike asked rather excited. Applejack looked around and smiled.

"I think Big Mac and are good with the trees, but there is something. Follow me." she led him to the other side of the hill. Down the hill was a trench that looked freshly dug. "Brushy Bill helped dig that last week. He said it reached the river before he left, but we haven't seen any water come down it yet. We'll need it to keep them trees alive. Could follow it and see where the water is?"

"You can count on me ma'am" Spike saluted Applejack and ran down the hill in the direction of the ditch. Once out of sight, Applejack let out a deep sigh and allowed a blush to come across her face. Her heart was racing. From behind she heard a deep quiet laugh. She turned around and saw Big Mac smiling at her.

"You didn't see nothin." she growled at him. He just chuckled and went back to the wagon.

Deep in Sweet Apple Acres

Spike was on the far north side of the farm. He was walking in the ditch but couldn't see the end.

"Geez how long is this thing," he grumbled. The sun was getting lower. Spike looked up. "Wow its probably about 3, I better hurry if I want to get home before dark." quickening his pace he eventually came to what should've the mouth of the ditch, but it was blocked by a beaver dam. "Pesky beavers. Why can't Fluttershy keep them over in the ponds." He began looking at the large wooden structure. "They're lucky. If I wasn't concerned with burning down the orchard, I would use my fire," he grabbed onto a log in the middle, "Guess I'll just have to do it by hand." Spike pulled and the log popped out of place. He looked at the piece of wood proud of his strength before he heard the dam groan. When he looked up he saw it swelling behind the push of water and a few streams of water pour out. "Ah pony feathers." The dam burst send the full power of the river at Spike. He jumped onto the log he dislodged and held on tight. The water whooshed over him pulling him under for a second before the log brought him back up. Straddling the log he road it down the ditch. "Guess that did it." he chuckled to himself.

Back on the the hill Applejack and Big Mac had just finished planting the last apple tree, when Applejack heard the running of water. She looked over at the ditch and saw a small stream of water coming down. "I guess Spike is working on the ditch." She looked up and saw more water flowing down and riding on the current was the small dragon on a log. She smiled and trotted down to the ditch. Spike was getting off the log when Applejack got to him. "Wow Spike, I mighty thankful." She startled Spike causing him to lose his balance and fall into the ditch. She giggled as he climbed back out. "Sorry about that sugar cube."

"Don't worry about it. I'm just glad I could help." he smiled while dripping. "I better get home before it gets dark. Do you need anymore help tomorrow." Applejack looked back at the hill and then around.

"Hm, not that I can think of, but I will let you know if I do," she smiled. Her smile made Spike feel odd, but not in a bad way. He didn't quite know how he felt. However he couldn't help but smile back.

"Ok well see ya later Applejack."

"Yeah see ya." Spike returned back to the library just before the sunset. He made himself some dinner, read a comic and then retired to his bed. After working all day it didn't take long before he was out. Deep in sleep, Spike began to dream.

Spikes Dream Realm

Before he saw anything, Spike could hear crickets chirping and the sound of a running river. He opened his eyes, revealing he was in a patch of trees. It was night time and the moon was full and bright. Upon looking closer he saw that they were apple trees, but bigger than any he had ever seen. Straight out in front of him was small fast flowing river. Spike looked downstream and saw complete darkness. Looking upstream, he saw a clear path to a bridge across the river. "Where am I? It looks like a spot in Ponyville, but condensed. That bridge is on the other side of town, far away from Sweet Apple Acres. Also the river flows around the farm not through it." Spike continued looking around, trying to figure out what to do. "Guess I'll go towards the bridge." He attempted to go to the bridge but as soon as his foot hit the grass, he fell through the ground spun upside down and appeared right back in the spot where his dream began. Spike unclenched from the feeling a falling and looked around. "Ok definitely don't go to the bridge. Maybe I'll just sit here and watch the river." He sat in place preparing to fall through the ground once again, but he did not. Once sure he wasn't going anywhere he looked down river at the darkness. "I wonder what's down there." As he finished his question he heard a voice echo in the trees.

"Why does this river run?" Spike froze up.

"Who's there!?" There was a bright flash, making Spike close his eyes, and when he opened them again, he was awake in his bed. The sun was just coming up. Spike got up and looked out the window. "What a weird dream."

Author's Note:

Hello y'all
Welcome to another story based on a song. At first I thought it would be odd to do another Dan Seals song right after the other, but this one really inspired me. Also the part about Heirloom Orchards is real. I helped plant one a few years back and did research on them for my thesis. They are very interesting and as a historian and former farmer a neat concept so I kind of went into a detail on that part.
Anyway I hope you all enjoy this story and if you haven't already, go check out my first story also based on a Dan Seals song.
Thank you to all who read!
-Brushy Bill