• Published 5th Jul 2022
  • 1,337 Views, 20 Comments

Bug and Bird - Ooo Spooky



Love is really funny. Especially when you're a catbird with a shapeshifting partner

  • ...
1
 20
 1,337

Here Comes the Bride

Author's Note:

WHOOP WHOOP OCELLUS CHAPTER BABY. Also a couple things to note.
1. Since Changelings don't have thumbs, I thought a horn ring would be awesome
2. This entire story takes place in a half-au-half-headcannon where, at some point in his life, Gallus was taken in by Grandpa Gruff and lived with Gabby and Gilda for a chunk of his life before friendship school.
3. This the longest chapter yet so bare with me yall
4. WRITING THIS WEDDING WAS HARD BECAUSE I'VE NEVER BEEN TO ONE THAT I REMEBER, NOR HAVE I EVER WRITTEN ONE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF I MISSED SOME DETAILS.

Gallus stood up on the podium, shaking. This was it. All of his and Ocellus’ family was there, and since she was apart of a hive, there was a LOT of family. Everyone seemed to be getting along well enough. Headmare Starlight let them use the school as a venue, his suit looked great, thanks to combined efforts from Sweetie Belle and Rarity. Everything was perfect, except for one thing: Where the hell was Ocellus? Sure, it was tradition for the bride and groom to be semi-distant on the big day due to superstitions, but this was concerning. According to Gabby and Pharynx, she had been talking to everyone and laughing, right up until it was time for the ceremony. Gallus wasn’t sure how much longer he could wait up here. Twilight was supposed to marry them in… he checked his watch on his foretalon… less than 5 minutes! Everyone seemed to be unconcerned but, knowing Griffons, that wasn’t going to last. Then, it was only a matter of time before Changelings picked up on the negative emotions and… he took a deep breath. “Stop spiraling, Gallus. She’s… probably just having dress issues. Yeah, that’s it. She’ll be here soon! Right?” He thought to himself. Where was that Changeling?


Ocellus paced back and forth, panicking. She was stuck in a signature Ocellus spiral, at the WORST possible time. A knock at the door made her jump. “W-who is it?” She asked, softly. As she did, a fluffy, grey head peeked through the door.

“Ocellus? Hun?” Gabby Griffon, Ocellus’ surrogate sister-in-law, peeked inside the dressing room, seeing the Changeling with her wedding dress half-on and tears in her eyes. “Oh, dear. What’s wrong?”

“G-Gabby? What are you doing in here?”

“Gallus sent me. He’s really worried! Are you okay? You’re getting married in-”

“I know! I KNOW!” Ocellus snapped, stomping her hoof. “I… I can’t go out there.”

“Why not Ocellus! You DO wanna marry Gallus, right?”

“Of course I do, Gabby! More than anything! But…”

“But…” Said Gabby, sitting her down in the dressing room chair.

“But, I don’t know if he wants to marry ME!”

“Ocellus! Why would you think that!? I mean, you’re all he ever talks about! I should know, I’m like, the world champion of talking! Gave Pinkie a run for her money in ‘08!” The two shared a chuckle. Leave it to Gabby to make any situation lighter just by being in the room. Ocellus’ smile slowly faded though.

“Do you know how hard it is to be a Changeling? I mean, romantically?” She said, fiddling with her hooves. “It’s HELL. I mean, I dated a few other stallions before Gallus in Friendship School. Every single one always wanted me to turn into someone 'hotter'. Like the girl in their math class, the girl they saw in that movie the one time, one guy wanted me to turn into his half-cousin, hell, I even had one guy ask me to turn into Silverstream. SILVERSTREAM! Do you know what that does to a creature? It became a reflex to ask who they wanted me to turn into when we… uhm… you know. When I started dating Gallus and he told me he wanted me to stay myself, I was skeptical. And as wonderful as it was and still is, I hate to say that I’m STILL skeptical. Skeptical that he was just biding his time. Waiting until there’s no way out, and then BOOM. Asks me to turn into someone else. It got more quiet over time, but it sat there. Like a ticking timebomb at the back of my mind. And today, it went off. What if… he doesn’t want to marry me. What if he just wants to marry my powers?” She said, her eyes welling up with tears again. The two sat in silence.

“Ocellus. I can tell you with absolute certainty that what happened to you in school was horrible and completely undeserved. But I can also tell you with absolute certainty, that Gallus wants to marry YOU. Not who you can turn into.”

“But-”

“But nothing, hun. Did you know that every time we’ve talked about you, he’s never once brought up your shapeshifting, nor has he ever addressed anything but who. you. are.” She said, patting Ocellus and fixing her dress. “I know Gallus better than pretty much any other creature. Well, other than you of course. He never really talks about anything he doesn’t care about. Gallus doesn’t care about your shapeshifting. Hell, I doubt he even cares about the fact you’re a changeling. He cares about the fact you’re Ocellus. He cares that you’re smart, kind, witty, loving, and willing to listen.” She assured. “Gallus is… emotionally fucked. No other way to put it. He’s always been distant, aloof, coasting through life with an air of apathy. But he’s never sounded so passionate and sure of anything when he talks about you. He LOVES you, Ocellus. More than anything else.” She swiveled the chair around and placed the veil on top of the Changeling’s head, minding her horn, and smiled at her.

“Damn, you’re good.” Ocellus said, and the two laughed again. “Thank you for yanking me back down to reality.”

“Who would’ve thought the airhead would’ve been good at that?”

“Haha, yeah. Now, I think I have a marriage to attend.”


The crowd suddenly hushed, and Gallus feared the worst. “Have they noticed Ocellus is gone? Oh shit, where is she? I should go ch-” Gallus’ thoughts were quickly silenced as the piano began to play the traditional wedding tune. “Oh thank grover.” He thought to himself. But then, all of his thoughts died as he saw Ocellus. She was wearing a dress that looked like butterfly wings. It glistened in the sunlight. It was like she was wearing stained glass. “Holy shit.” He whispered under his breath. Ocellus was being walked down the isle by Thorax, who was sobbing happily. Ocellus glanced at Pharynx, and the two chuckled silently. To Gallus, It felt as though she was moving in slow motion in the best way possible. As she reached the stand, and Thorax sat down, still sobbing, she looked up at him.

“Hi…” She said, with a soft smile. Even through the veil, she was glowing.

“H-hi…” He said back. “You look downright magical.” He said, cracking a smile.

“Thank you pretty bird. You look so damn handsome in that suit.” She chuckled. As the crowd died down, Gallus reached forward and removed the veil. It was like everyone else in the world suddenly disappeared.

“W-wow…” Was all Gallus could say.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, it’s just… I’m so glad to be here with you right now.” And with that statement, all of Ocellus’ worries vanished. It was here and then that her ‘ticking timebomb’ of anxiety was diffused. This was the creature she wanted to marry. She loved him, and now she knew that he loved her too. She knew that today, here and now, she could say this with certainty. As she reached into her dress and pulled out a small, folded, piece of paper, she took a deep breath and began to read her vows.

“Gallus. Throughout my life, love has always been a massive part of me and my culture, I use it to feed, learn and even to survive, and when I look at you I see the embodiment of the word ‘love.’ You are always there for me when I need you. You are my rock. Everyday and every night I look at you and know that I have found the creature who will make me feel like, well, me. As a changeling, shifting forms has always been something I thought I had to do. But you showed me that you love me. Not who I can turn into. I strive every single day to show you the love you have shown me. I love you with every fiber of my being and I promise to continue loving you until I am no longer of this earth. I love you, Gallus.” Folding the paper back up and placing it in her dress, she gave Gallus the warmest and kindest smile. One that all but made him melt on the spot. Reaching for his paper, and wiping the tears from his eyes, he took a similar deep breath and began to read his portion of the vows.

“Well, here we are Ocellus. Heh, I’m not the best at mushy stuff, but for you, I’ll make an exception. And that’s just it. For you Ocellus, I would walk through Tartarus and back. For you Ocellus, I would do anything. Because you are who I strive to be. Someone so kind, empathetic, and so, so, so, beautiful that you light up a room, just by opening the door. Though you’ve never shared it, until now, I saw and recognized how hard it is to be a changeling in a relationship. And that’s why I want to show you all the love that I can. Because you deserve it. All of it. Grover, I just… I’m so happy to be here marrying you Ocellus, that I just want to dance. I want to stand at the highest point in Equestria and show how much, treasure and strive to be like the creature I love every single day. I love you, Ocellus.” Tears welled up in both of their eyes as Gallus finished his vows. Twilight smiled softly as Spike handed her the pillow with the twin rings on them.

“That was very, very sweet you two. I’m glad to have called you both my students. Now, Gallus, do you take Ocellus to be your lawfully wedded wife? To promise to love and cherish her, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, for better for worse, and forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her, for so long as you both shall live?”

“I do.” Replied Gallus.

“Now, Ocellus, do you take Gallus to be your lawfully wedded husband? To promise to love and cherish him, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, for better for worse, and forsaking all others and to keep yourself only unto him, for so long as you both shall live?”

“I do.” Responded Ocellus. Ocellus knelt down as Gallus placed the ring on her horn, which in turn garnered a pretty loud happy sob from Thorax and an elbow from Pharynx, and Gallus presented his foretalon for Ocellus to place the ring onto.

“Good. So, by the power vested in me as Princess of Equestria, you may now kiss the-” Before the princess could finish, Gallus dashed forwards, swept Ocellus off of her feet with strength neither of them knew he had, and kissed Ocellus deeply, garnering a massive cheer from the crowd and sealing the deal.