• Published 28th Jun 2022
  • 753 Views, 103 Comments

Legends of Magic - EchoWing



Twilight leads research into the origins of the Elements of Harmony.

  • ...
0
 103
 753

Chapter Five - Beauty in Truth

Sunset Shimmer sighed as she took in the atmosphere at Sugar Cube Corner, a smoothie in her hand and a soft smile on her face as she waited for her friends in their usual booth. Granted, she had to learn to be a morning person, but after nearly three years in the human world, she’d adjusted well enough.

The bell chimed, and she caught sight of Pinkie at the head of the group. The party girl’s enthusiastic wave was returned with a smile and a gentle one, and Sunset quietly waited for her friends to get their usual orders and join her. “Thanks for holding the booth for us, Sunset!”

“Hey, no problem. The sun certainly helped to keep me awake. And thanks again for helping me and Vinyl out on Saturday.”

“No problem! It never hurts to help a friend, especially when they have religious stuff going on.”

Once again, it was the Monday morning before the start of another week of school, and the group of friends started it with drinks and a gathering of strength to survive the week to come. And they’d need it, as the Musical Showcase was on the horizon…though the more immediate problem of midterms was looming closer. For now, however, they could rest and take their minds off of school for one moment…by pestering their friend for gossip.

“So any good news from Twilight?”

Sunset laughed. “No concrete results on her research project yet, Dash, just some promising leads.” She smiled. “And apparently, I have some paternal relatives that I might meet someday too, if they’re up for it.”

“Good for you, sugarcube.” Applejack sipped at her drink. “Give me the choice between more family an’ more money, an’ Ah know which one Ah’ll pick every time.” General murmurs of agreement sounded before the farmgirl prodded, “Anyway, keep us in the loop. Ah’m lookin’ forward to hearin’ more ‘bout this whole Siren story.”

“I’m just hoping that it has a happy ending.” Fluttershy gently held her teacup and studied it as she noted, “Though I am a little surprised that Equestria’s Sirens are different from the ones in our world’s myths. Things have lined up so much already.”

Rarity shrugged. “Well, in their defense darling, there’s already something of a disconnect. Our myths only had one singular Pegasus rather than an entire ethnic group, thestrals are simply the creation of J. K. Rowling, and alicorns are only slightly older than the Harry Potter series thanks to certain eighties animated programs.”

“For the honor of Greyskull!” Pinkie giggled as she dramatically held aloft a tiny straw like a sword.

Sunset rolled her eyes with a smile at her friend’s antics before contemplating her own drink. “Still, I’m a little surprised that there were two recorded incidents in Equestrian history involving Sirens. I knew about the later one, but this early one’s thrown me.”

“Well what happened with the later one?” Dash asked. “I mean, Star Swirl was involved the first time, right? Maybe he used whatever trick the first time to win the second time?”

“If he did, it was solo, and three on one.” Sunset shrugged. “Twilight will keep me in the loop though, don’t worry.”

“Oh, we aren’t worried about that, dear.” Rarity turned to her and asked, “Speaking of loops, have you given any thought to bringing Sparkler and Rose in on the truth?”

“Yeah, but I’m a little surprised that they haven’t come to me about what happened with Crystal Faire yet. You’d think they’d have come to me faster than Photo Finish did.”

“Well, Lyra ain’t tryin’ to pump you fer info yet. Maybe somethin’s holdin’ ‘em back.”

“Maybe.” She sighed. “I don’t know. It feels kinda wrong to keep them out of the loop, though. I mean, they did help out during that whole incident with the Nightmare.”

“True, but the fewer who do know about all of this, the better.” Rarity offered her friend a smile. “We’ll leave it up to you dear, but whatever your decision, we’ll support you.”

Sunset smiled. “Thanks, Rarity.”

-

“Well ain’t that a bonnie sight.” Rockhoof’s tone was clearly approving as the group approached the ornate greenhouses that had been set up on the road leading to the new capital. “A wee bit fancy for my taste, but still, nice enough.”

Flash Magnus grinned. “Mistmane must have picked up a thing or two from the Cloudsdale pegasi when she made this. We practically invented greenhouses. We needed to when one of the old Commanders wanted cucumbers year-round.”

Somnambula sighed in approval. “Given how cucumbers taste, I can understand his desire for them.”

As much as Stygian was eager for the quest to continue, he was glad that the group was working together so well with each new member. Rockhoof and Magnus had kept their bickering to a friendly level, and between Somnambula’s bright outlook and Meadowbrook’s skills as a cook, the group’s mood had remained positive. He only hoped that Mistmane would mesh well with them, but as he looked into the greenhouse, it appeared dark and abandoned. “Lady Mistmane?” He knocked upon the door with one hoof. “Lady Mistmane, may we speak with you?”

“Is it possible that she could be somewhere else?” Meadowbrook approached and explained, “From what Ah’ve heard of Mistmane, she does enjoy travelin’.”

The scholar considered the doors. “As plausible as that seems, I think something might be wrong.”

As the healer examined the doors, she realized what Stygian meant. “Oh my stars, Ah think Ah see what you mean! The doors are locked and chained from inside the greenhouse!”

“Well, she is a unicorn.” Flash Magnus looked among the group and offered, “Maybe she locked them from the inside as extra security?”

“That’s possible, but not likely. Especially given the chains.” Stygian turned to the rest of the group. “Besides, this is a greenhouse. If someone wished to break in and steal something then they would shatter the glass. I think Mistmane might be inside, held hostage by something.”

The party looked among themselves before Flash Magnus stepped up. “Alright then, Stygian. Do you have a plan?”

“I think so, yes. Flash, fly overhead and see if there’s an open skylight or some sort.” The pegasus stallion nodded and took wing as Stygian turned to the two mares among them. “Somnambula, can you encircle the greenhouse and see about any further entrances on ground level? I’d rather we not smash our way in if we can avoid it.”

The mare smiled. “This is easily accomplished.”

He then turned to Meadowbrook. “There aren’t many options for what could be holding Mistmane at bay, Meadowbrook. Can you check your stores and see about any potions that could help against her captors?”

“Ah might have somethin’, but Ah can’t guarantee anythin’.”

“Please, do what you can.” As Meadowbrook moved to the side, Stygian then turned to the last of their number. “Rockhoof, let’s take a look at this door and try to deal with those chains.”

“Aye lad!” The two stallions approached the door and examined it. “Now, from the way this door’s built, I’d say that the doors can open inwards and outwards. Rather unusual, but then again, we don’t have greenhouses where I come from.”

“And this would likely ease her getting in and out regardless.”

Rockhoof nodded at his friend’s assessment. “So with a strong enough push, I might be able to snap those chains right off and let us inside!”

Stygian frowned. The brute force approach might work. “We’ll hold that in reserve in case…”

A loud BANG interrupted his thoughts, and further sounds of blunt impact caught the scholar’s attention before Somnambula returned with a semi-conscious Magnus in her hooves. “I found him on the other side of the greenhouse! Either he hit something really hard, or something hit him!”

“Well then, that settles it!” Rockhoof turned. “Brute force then!”

As Rockhoof reared back, the door actually opened inwards behind him. The rest of the party hardly had time to react before the mighty stallion’s hooves hit thin air and knocked him off balance, only for the door to slam shut directly against his hindquarters and push him away by several inches.

The mighty stallion snorted in disapproval. “Something ain’t right about this greenhouse. Maybe Mistmane attracted a spirit, something terrible and vengeful from the other side.”

Stygian could see vines curling about inside the greenhouse, and pondered aloud, “That’s one possibility.”

Meadowbrook appeared to be of similar mind, but spoke her mind very loudly. “Then Ah’m afraid we won’t be visitin’ this greenhouse today! Which, Ah must declare, is a terrible, terrible shame, given the beauty of the plants outside! Why, Ah’d wager those inside are a class onto their own!”

While Rockhoof gave the mare a perplexed look, Somnambula seemed to catch on. “Indeed! For if the grandeur out here is any sign, then the plants within must truly be living works of art!”

“Why is everyone talking loudly?” Flash was back on his hooves, but still dazed from his collision.

To his credit, Stygian had caught on. “And further, we had a delivery for Mistmane! We cannot simply leave it outside, lest it be stolen by bandits!”

“Indeed! Ah was tasked with bringing this fantastic growth potion!” Meadowbrook had already found one weedy-looking plant and produced a tiny bottle from her bags. “Though if we can’t leave it, then perhaps Ah should demonstrate its potency! So that she knows to get back to me!”

The scholar smiled. “I agree! It’s only good sense!”

One tiny drop, and the weedy vine suddenly surged with growth until it was as wide as any of them were long and taller than Rockhoof.

“Very impressive!” Stygian’s attention was fixed on the vine as he continued, “Now if only we had an open door…”

The sound of a heavy lock and chain being undone sounded, and the door swung open. Stygian and the two mares shared smiles of victory even as the remaining stallions watched with horror.

“Rockhoof, that wasn’t some concussion-based hallucination, was it?”

“Nay, Magnus, that actually happened.” The mighty stallion seemed paler as the group approached. “And I won’t deny, I’ve got chills running down my spine right now.”

The glowpaz on her necklace shone as the group ventured into the dark, and Somnambula led the way as Stygian called, “Now stay close, everypony. We need to find a desk of some sort, somewhere that we can safely place the potion where Mistmane can find it.”

“And hopefully leave so that we can find her and…”

“Flash Magnus, you dolt!”

The door to the greenhouse slammed shut as plants started wrapping themselves around the door handles. Magnus barely had a moment to realize his mistake before the vines shot forth to attack the party.

“They’re after the potion!” Meadowbrook cried out.

“And the rest of us!” Rockhoof, despite his bulk, was a bit too fast for the vines. “Stygian, that one big bulb there at the other side of the greenhouse! Glowin’ with light from within! That look big enough to hold a pony to you?!”

“Yes!”

“Wait, you’re not saying these plants eat ponies, do you?!” Magnus saw one particularly large bulb heading right for him and did his best to hold it off with his shield.

“Don’t jump to conclusions!” Rockhoof took up his shovel and jammed it into the gap in the bulb, a gap that brought to mind lips on a particularly large mouth. “Stygian, a little magical push would help!”

“Move fast!” Meadowbrook’s bag slipped from her grip as the vines dug through it. “They have the potion!”

The scholar lent his magic to his friend’s effort, and the bulb opened just enough for a brilliant light to issue forth from within. The bulb opened the rest of the way to reveal an ancient-looking mare, wrinkled and garbed in soft fabrics styled from a faraway land, with her long mane trailing behind her like mist. Despite her predicament, her mood was calm as she smiled upon her guests.

“Hello everypony. I am Mistmane, and I am glad that you have arrived at last.”

-

The morning sun was rising over Canterlot as Rainbow Dash sped through the skies towards the castle grounds. Ignoring the fact that she was in her element, the prismatic pegasus was over the moon with excitement and couldn’t wait to meet up with Twilight. Best case scenario, they’d be able to share their respective awesome bits of news with each other. Worst case…well, her news was awesome enough for both of them.

“Excuse me!” Much to her surprise, the mare slowed to a halt to find a mare in Royal Guard armor in the air beside her. The mare stopped and turned to face her. “Mind identifying yourself, miss?”

“Wha-?” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “You know, I’m all for you guys taking your job seriously, but I’d think you guys would know who I am.”

“For all I know, you’re a changeling in disguise.” She gestured to the ground below and pointed out, “We’ve already had one pony show up this morning unannounced, and I’d rather not take any chances.”

Dash barely had a second to look before she saw a familiar pink pony surrounded by Royal Guards enthusiastically wave and shout, “HI RAINBOW DASH!” She sighed, then turned to the Guard. “Hit the dirt?”

“Please.”

The two pegasi landed as the remaining guards approached with their unexpected guest in tow. “Rainbow Dash. Bearer of the Element of Loyalty, born in Cloudsdale, first and so far only pony to pull off a Sonic Rainboom in centuries.”

“Dashie, you’re not doing it right!” Pinkie Pie bounded up and explained, “All that stuff is something anypony could look up in a library! You gotta tell her something secret, something…!”

The Guardsmare cleared her throat to prompt the pink mare’s silence, then turned to Dash. “Name three ponies who were part of your course at Wonderbolt Academy.”

“Thunderlane, Bulk Biceps, and Cloudchaser.”

“And the officer who oversaw your written exam for the Wonderbolt Reserves?”

“Whiplash.”

“And the flavor of pie that you saved for Soarin at the Grand Galloping Gala last year?”

“Apple.”

The Guardsmare smiled, then turned to her subordinates. “They’re clean. I’ll take it from here.” The others guards gave a brief salute, then went on their way. “Sorry about that. Other guards might let security get lax, but not me.” She slipped off her helmet. “First Lieutenant Indigo Zap. It’s an honor to meet the both of you.”

“Aw, thanks!” Pinkie noticed the puzzled look on her friend’s face. “Dashie? Rainbow Dash?”

“Oh, sorry.” Dash turned to the Guardsmare and explained, “You just look familiar to me is all.”

“Like somepony named Lightning Dust?”

“Hey, yeah…!” Her eyes went wide, and she groaned. “Oh no, don’t tell me! You two are cousins, aren’t you?”

The Guardsmare laughed. “Heck no. Sisters.” She then grinned. “And don’t worry. Dusty had what happened to her coming.” The mood now relaxed, Zap then ventured, “I’m guessing that the two of you are here to check in on Princess Twilight and her little research project?”

“Uh-huh!” Pinkie bobbed her head up and down excitedly.

“Alright then. Odds are she’s still having breakfast with the rest of the team and the Royal Sisters, but we might get lucky and they’ll be done by the time we get to them. Follow me.”

“Oooh, before we do that!” Pinkie turned to her friend and asked, “How’d the test go? Did you pass?”

Rainbow Dash’s written examination to get into the Wonderbolts had been a major topic in Ponyville for some time, especially after the community had come together to help her to study for the test. The young mare wasn’t the most studious, but after a suggestion from a visiting member of the Royal Guard had pointed out that she was exceptionally attentive when flying, that talent had been taken advantage of to help Rainbow Dash to pick up every bit of information that she’d need for the test, and then some.

The prismatic Pegasus grinned and declared, “I aced it!”

Pinkie’s expression went from eager to ecstatic so fast that it practically broke the sound barrier. “WHOO-HOO! I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!” As the other two ponies rubbed their hooves in their ears, the party pony produced something from nowhere. “And I got you something to celebrate! Surprise!”

“Oh, hey! A pie!” The confection found itself in Rainbow Dash’s hooves. “Thanks, Pinkie, I… Hey, what’s that?!”

Pinkie’s gaze spun about to the far horizon behind her, and Dash chucked the pie away as far as she could. The prismatic pegasus then made several dramatic ‘nom-nom-nom’ sounds and felt her mane rustle as Pinkie turned her attention back to her. “What was what?”

“Thought I saw something. Don’t worry about it.” Dash then made a fake swallowing motion. “Now let’s go…”

“Ahem.” The pair then turned to find Indigo Zap standing beside them, the discarded pie in her hooves as she hovered above them. “I don’t suppose there’s a good explanation for you tossing away a perfectly good pie, is there?”

Pinkie let out a scandalized gasp, then turned to her friend. “Rainbow Dash! You don’t like my pies?!”

“No!” At her friend’s expression, she whimpered and explained, “It’s not that I don’t like your pies, Pinkie. I just don’t like pies in general.” She then tried to be reassuring. “Lots of other ponies did though! Tank loves ‘em, too! He can’t…!”

“Oh no! Don’t you try to distract me!” She gave her friend a pleading look and asked, “If you didn’t like my pies, then why didn’t you tell me?”

“I…didn’t want to hurt your feelings. I mean, I remember the last time you thought that nobody liked something you did and…”

Pinkie Pie sighed. “Dashie! You could’ve just sat me down and explained what was going on in the first place! Sheesh, what is this, some cheap comedy that relies on nopony talking to each other?”

Indigo gave the party pony a dry expression. “No, it’s real life.” As Pinkie rolled her eyes in the direction of the fourth wall, the Guardsmare explained, “Still, she’s not wrong.”

Dash groaned, then turned to her friend. “Sorry Pinkie.”

The party pony pouted for a precious picosecond, then took her friend into a hug. “It’s okay, Dashie. I just wish you’d said something sooner. I’d have made you cakes instead.” She then turned to Indigo and asked, “What about you? You can have the pie if you want it.”

“Not while I’m on duty, sorry.” She then eyed the pie and grinned. “But I think I know a way around that.”

-

Stygian momentarily found himself speechless, but quickly recovered. “Arrived at…? You mean, you knew we were coming?”

“Indeed. My plants could sense that something was amiss.” Mistmane stepped out of the opened bulb with as much worry as a foal stepping from one cobblestone to another. “I fear that is why you had so much trouble. They worry for me, you see.” She then cleared her throat and shouted, “Every plant! Stop at once!” The assorted plants throughout the greenhouse ceased, much to the relief of the ponies they had ensnared. “This is not how we treat our guests! Now, kindly release them, and return whatever you might have taken from them!”

The plants did as told. Meadowbrook was the first to be released, with one vine daintily setting her potion down before her, while Flash Magnus and Somnambula swiftly followed. All three were visibly relieved and awestruck at their savior. “Thank you,” the earth pony mare said as she collected her potion, then turned to Mistmane and said, “Ah am much obliged to you.”

The wizened mare smiled and accepted the healer’s thanks with a nod, then looked up to address her menagerie. “Now then, I appreciate your concern for my safety, but trapping me in here is hardly going to do any good for me, you, or anypony outside. If this danger you sensed is indeed dire enough for you to even consider such actions, then I simply cannot stand idly by and allow it to act unimpeded. I seek to help bring beauty into this world, after all, and I can’t do that if I’m locked away.” She gently cupped one small flower in her hoof as she noted, “I might even find you some new homes if I have the chance. As safe as it is here, do you really want to be here in this greenhouse, rather than out in the world?”

Many of the plants drooped slightly, as though they were apologetic, and receded into other corners of the greenhouse.

That prompted a sigh from Mistmane, and her gaze swept over the group. “I do apologize for the poor reception. And I hope that what brought you here, and what my plants sensed, are one in the same. Otherwise, we might be in even greater trouble than it seems.”

“I hope so as well, Lady Mistmane.”

The wizened mare laughed at Stygian’s words. “There’s no need for such formalities. Despite what stories you might have been told, I am nopony special.”

“Given you speak with and command plants, I would argue otherwise.” Flash Magnus uneasily eyed one of the pony-sized bulbs. “How are you able to do that, anyway? Some sort of Eastern magic?”

“No, I merely pay close attention. I can feel the world is holding its breath, as though something of great import is on the immediate horizon.” She turned to Stygian and asked, “Regardless, I assume that you have brought everypony together?”

“Yes, and you’re right, there is a danger on the horizon.”

“Then let’s not waste any time.” Mistmane opened the doors to her greenhouse with her magic, and led the group out. “Is there anypony else you seek to collect before we continue further?”

“Yes, one more pony. Star Swirl the Bearded.”

“Star Swirl?” Rockhoof looked at his friend in amazement. “The mentor to Clover the Clever? Advisor to King Bullion and Princess Platinum?”

Stygian nodded. “And now to the Royal Sisters. He’s likely with them.”

Mistmane laughed. “You’re right, but I doubt that he’s exactly where you think he is. Fortunately, he’s not too far away.”

-

Within the castle itself, the research team found itself gathered for what they hoped would be a pleasant start to the day, settled around a table for breakfast.

Twilight giggled like a schoolfilly as she looked at her breakfast. “Oh, this brings back so many memories!” Before her was a stack of pancakes, lovingly decorated with whipped cream and fruit so that a smiling face was upon it.

“For me, too.” Celestia was seated beside her protégé at the head of the table, Luna at the opposite end, with the rest of the research team ringed about the table itself. “Though it’s been a while since I’ve made so much for so many. Usually it’s just me and Luna in the mornings.”

“You made these yourself, ma’am?” At his sovereign’s nod, Flash Sentry smiled. “Wow. No offense, but I’d think you’d leave this for somepony else.”

“I could, but that’s horribly impersonal.” She grinned and admitted, “And not nearly as much fun. Anyway, dig in everypony.” As syrup was provided for all those who wanted it, Celestia turned to Twilight and prodded, “Now then Twilight, where to from here?”

“Well, I think the best course of action at this point would be to go with the documents that we know are not only legitimate, but also contain information that could corroborate with what we’ve found in Star Swirl’s study. Namely, Meadowbrook’s journals.” Twilight turned to Sunburst and suggested, “If we’re lucky, we can build from that, and maybe find something to work from.”

The bespectacled unicorn nodded. “That’s probably the best we can do. I just hope…”

Attention was claimed as a throat was cleared at the entrance to the entrance to the small dining room, Kibitz at the door. “Apologies, your Highness, however…”

“However, I feel that this cannot wait.” Into the room strode a tall, slender stallion, light grey in color with a slightly greasy-looking black mane slicked back out of his eyes and short beard, clad in collar and long tunic that concealed much of his torso. Over his front was a sash with a medallion upon it, marked by an emblem that Twilight instantly recognized. “My apologies for barging in.”

Celestia frowned, then nodded to Kibitz. The aide stepped out of sight, and she turned to address the newcomer. “Chancellor Neighsay. To what do I owe this impromptu meeting?”

“I merely wished to take a moment to express some concerns I’ve had with activities taken by yourself and Princess Luna of late.” He then turned to the latter royal and explained, “Ivory Tower has informed me of your recent visit to Neigh Orleans and the results thereof. While I am appreciative of the information you’ve brought to light, I must question your methods.”

Luna was decidedly less patient than her sister as she scowled at the academic. Nonetheless, she kept an even tone as she explained, “Had it not been for my methods, the information may not have come to light at all. And regardless, I was aiding Princess Twilight.”

“Regardless, this sort of research is best left to proper academic scholars. Your time and effort is best kept to your duties.”

The scowl deepened, and Luna rose from her seat. “Do excuse me, dear ones. The night was long and I must retire.” She glared at Neighsay and added, “Besides, I fear that I have lost my appetite.”

Neighsay’s gaze followed her out before he turned his attention to the third princess in the room. “Princess Twilight Sparkle. I don’t begrudge you for your research efforts, nor do I discourage them, whatever they may be. The debt that Equestria owes to you and your fellow Bearers cannot be understated. However, where you are currently without portfolio or governmental duties, each of your fellow Princesses have responsibilities, ones which you shouldn’t be drawing them away from. Important things such as national security shouldn’t be neglected for idle research projects.”

Twilight took a second to wipe her mouth with a napkin before she answered. “With all due respect, Chancellor, I am well aware of my duties, as well as those of my fellow princesses. And nopony’s responsibilities are being neglected in favor of idle research.”

The chancellor considered her for a moment. “Very well, but kindly remember that all scholars can find themselves going down rabbit warrens seeking information that cannot be found. It’s not a wise idea to waste time on something that may never produce anything of value.” He then turned to Celestia and noted, “I will see you again this afternoon, ma’am. Good day to you.”

Once the chancellor departed, Celestia managed an aggrieved sigh. “I’m sorry that you all saw that. Chancellor Neighsay is, to put it politely, very conservative in his views regarding duty and obligations. He takes his as head of the EEA quite seriously, which is good, but he tends to frown on others acting outside their areas of expertise, so to speak. And that puts aside his lack of flexibility.”

“In his defense, he is operating with incomplete information.” Heads turned to Sunny Flare, who looked about. “Well, I doubt that he’s aware of what we’re hoping to find. I’d certainly consider the origins of the Tree of Harmony and the Elements to be vital to national security.”

“Considering they played a role in stopping three major crises in the last year, most would be inclined to agree with you.” Twilight turned to Celestia and admitted, “And I don’t think that’s the only thing he’s wrong about. I mean, you’ve told me about research projects that have stalled, and I haven’t heard anything different about them.”

“Unfortunately, neither have I.” The elder alicorn gave an encouraging smile to her protégé. “Still, what seems without value to one individual can mean everything in the world to another. And adding to knowledge, helping us to learn about our history, is anything but idle research. So don’t let some stuffy old academic discourage you. You’ve overcome greater challenges than him.”

Twilight smiled. “Thank you, Celestia.”

Kibitz chose that moment to return. “Guests to see you, ma’am. Associates of Princess Twilight. Shall I prepare seats for them?”

“Of course, Kibitz.” Celestia’s surprise turned to delight as Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie stepped into the room. “Good morning. Come to aid Twilight in her research?”

“That’s what we’re hoping for, assuming she hasn’t already got it licked.” Kibitz barely moved Luna’s abandoned meal out of Pinkie’s reach before Rainbow Dash asked, “So, any good news?”

Twilight shared a grin with Flash Sentry. “Actually, we do have something. And you’re going to be floored by it.”

-

“My stars.” Stygian looked up awestruck at the sight before him, a sentiment shared by most of his compatriots. “This is a beautiful castle.”

“Mark mah words, one day, there’ll be a bustlin’ city all ‘round this castle.” Meadowbrook smiled at the thought. “Thrivin’ businesses, growin’ families…”

Rockhoof was similarly smiling. “The sort’ve place that can bring us all together an’ unite us. A shining city on a hill.”

Flash Magnus snorted. “Pegasi will always have some independence, mark my words.” Cultural pride gave way to some pleasure as he admitted, “Still, this is a worthy sight. Strong foundations at least.”

“I only hope there are no gigantic snakes about.” Somnambula turned to the newest of their number and asked, “Are there?”

Mistmane quietly chuckled. “No. Now come along, Star Swirl should be in the castle gardens.” The wizened mare led the group along the castle grounds as she explained, “He likes to go there to be alone with his thoughts. I can understand, but it did complicate completing them in secret.”

The group reached an archway, the cobblestone path ahead leading into an area of lush greens. Within was a stallion that instantly caught Stygian’s attention. Clad in a bell-laden cloak and hat, his mane and tail white as a sheet, was the very pony they sought. “Star Swirl the Bearded. The greatest conjuror of our era, and there he is, naught but a few yards away.”

“Then why don’t you go and speak with him?”

The scholar shot the wizened mare a shocked expression. “Me?! But I…” At her encouraging smile, he nodded, screwed up his courage, and stepped into the gardens.

Near the center of the garden, scroll and writing implements floating before him, Star Swirl was jotting away, clearly trying to work through a spell. “From one to another, another to one. A mark of one’s…purpose? No, no, that won’t do…”

“Excuse me? Star Swirl the Bearded?”

The sorcerer let out a groan. “Simply Star Swirl is fine.” He turned to face Stygian, and raised an eyebrow. “Young pony, if you’re simply here to waste my time, kindly leave and waste yours elsewhere. I barely get a moment away from two moody teenagers whom I am attempting to mold into the rulers of this realm that I know they are able to be, and this spell is giving me far more trouble than it should.”

“Right, my apologies, but… I need your help.” The scholar straightened himself as best he could and explained, “My name is Stygian, and I come from the western coast. My home is under attack from a creature that came from the sea, a being of great magical power that I’ve come to call a Siren.”

The sorcerer snorted. “Not the most imaginative of names.”

“It seemed most appropriate. He has attributes like those of the kelpies that you’ve written of, particularly his hypnotic magic and vocal talents, but…”

“Wait, you’ve read my works?” At Stygian’s nod, Star Swirl probed, “What else of mine have you read?”

“Your chronicles of the great heroes of Equestria. Though, forgive me, but I think perhaps you weren’t quite accurate when you depicted them.”

Star Swirl’s expression was both annoyed and curious. “And by what grounds do you believe this?”

“By the grounds that he’s met us.” Star Swirl turned and goggled at the gathered ponies as they entered the garden, Rockhoof in the lead. “Apologies, Stygian, but you and I both know that time isn’t a luxury right now.”

“Of course.” Stygian gestured. “Star Swirl the Bearded, meet the very heroes whom you wrote of. I asked for their aid as well as yours. Will you join us? Please?”

-

Second Chance Silver was, on the exterior, a nondescript building. Those who ventured inside, however, found themselves impressed at both its wares and its proprietor. The shelves were filled with antiques and rare finds of one variety or another, and many ponies found themselves wandering about just taking it in, especially after Twilight Sparkle’s ascension and crowning helped attract attention. A few even wondered if the establishment was bigger on the inside than the out, given how much it seemed to hold…

As for the proprietor, Sterling Silver was one of the more curious residents of Ponyville. A stallion of wealth, his family had come to Ponyville early in its history both for the atmosphere and to invest in the town’s newborn industries. Other members of his family looked after their collective wealth, however, which left him with his own little corner of the family’s businesses to look after. The shop was, compared to what the rest of the family looked after, a hobby. That said, business was light and he had competent employees, which left him plenty of time to look after his young daughter. Still, he wasn’t afraid to mind the store, especially when it allowed him to repay a debt.

The door chimed, and Sterling looked up to the door. “Quiver Quill. I thought you worked on Mondays.”

“I do, but they had too little work and too many ponies, so I got voluntary time off.” The young stallion approached. “I figured I’d stop by and take a look around.”

“Well, you chose a good day to do so.” The elder stallion beckoned for the other to follow, and led him to a set of bookshelves. “We just received some new product, including a selection of books. I’m a little surprised that Princess Twilight hasn’t come to take a look herself.”

“Well, she’s been in Canterlot on business since yesterday morning.” Quiver looked over the various volumes as he elaborated, “Research project.”

“I assume this has something to do with what Silver visited Golden Oak Library about last Wednesday?”

Quiver nodded. “How’d that parent teacher conference go, by the way?”

“I’m happy to say very well. Silver’s grades are good, and she’s kept her nose clean. I think you’ve been a good influence on her and Diamond Tiara.”

The young stallion smirked. “I didn’t do anything special.” His eyes landed on an ancient-looking volume, and he gently plucked it from the shelf. “Hello.”

Sterling frowned. “Terrible shame about its condition. That book has clearly had some hard wear to it.”

“I’ve seen worse. My father kept a lot of old books in our attic. Then one summer, some squirrels got in.” The other stallion winced as Quiver carefully opened the book and went through the pages. “Dad wasn’t happy about it. Lots of trashed books left behind. And three guesses who had to clean up the mess.”

The elder stallion raised an eyebrow. “I would think that would be a job for a professional.”

“You’ve never met my father. Any job worth having done was worth dropping onto my back, especially if it saved money.” Quiver’s eyes went wide as he examined the text. “Where did you get this again?”

“This shipment came in a little while ago. I acquired them through an estate sale. Why?”

“Take a look.” Quiver turned the book around. “That looks like Old Ponish to me. I don’t remember a lot of books being published in that language, save for the odd specialty release. New translations of Coltic epics, or that one promotional version of ‘There and Back Again’.”

“Oh yes, I remember. Promotion for the films.” Sterling frowned. “Did you think that romance subplot was gratuitous too, or is that just me?”

“It was, but that was enforced by the studio, so I don’t blame the director or screenwriters.” Quiver flipped through the pages further. “Anyway, those were all put out within the last twenty years, and they included copyright noted and other things. This doesn’t even have a…” In his page-flipping, Quiver stopped and found his eyes resting on an illustration depicting six rings, with each ring encircling an illustration of a pony. The six ponies, in turn, were divided equally between genders and the three main tribes, with one pair each of earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns, with the unicorn stallion in the center ring having an unmistakable image. “Sweet Maker.” He closed the volume and asked, “How much?”

Sterling was caught off-guard by the question, but quickly recovered. “Well, given the condition of the volume and its curious contents, I’m not certain many would…”

“I’ll give you sixty bits for it right now.”

Sterling Silver was many things, but he was no fool. “Right this way.”

Funds were exchanged, and Quiver quickly departed with his purchase. Sterling had barely paid the book any thought, and suspected that few would take much notice of it. Odds were that, with enough time, it would end up in one of his blind buy barrels. That it was out of his mane already was both a surprise and a relief. Still, he had to wonder why Quiver had taken so much interest in it, and why the stallion seemed so eager to pay so much for it.

He shrugged. Perhaps he’d learn the answer someday.

Author's Note:

And here we go, time to head into the climax.

This chapter incorporates the last bits of A Royal Problem (written by Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco) and what little I plan on incorporating from Secrets and Pies (written by Josh Hamilton), as well as a tiny bit of Uncommon Bond (written by Josh Haber and Kevin Lappin). There's also some small nods to the events of Testing, Testing, 1-2-3 (written by Amy Keating Rogers), though who was responsible for helping speed along Rainbow Dash's training sessions will be revealed with time.

Also, you can safely conclude that the events of Vignettes #19 and #20 have taken place by now.