• Published 17th Jun 2022
  • 3,310 Views, 59 Comments

The Guardian Of The Forest - StormHoof32



A young mare stumbles upon a mystical glade hidden deep within the forest, and discovers its lonely inhabitant.

  • ...
6
 59
 3,310

Trees Have Attitude And Apples Are Delicious

Author's Note:

I just can't help myself, this story is just so fun to write. Two chapters in one night, what thing huh? I hope you guys like it and again any errors that you find I'd love to fix.

Keep on keeping on and I hope you all have a wonderful night!

-StormHoof

Merlin sat at the large table, happily chewing on a bite of waffles while the three alicorns in the room watched him. Their food had already been delivered by the castle chefs and each dish looked exquisite. Celestia had ordered a garden salad topped with daisies and daffodils and dressed with a boysenberry vinaigrette. Luna had lily and rose sandwich and a glass of apple juice and Twilight had something simliar, thought it looked more like a standard grilled cheese.

Despite having such delicious looking food, none of them had touched it. They still hadn't gotten over his rather brazen act of swiping whipped cream from Luna's nose only a while prior. He swallowed his food and chuckled before wiping his mouth clean. "You know I think your expressions were rather funny. My compliments to the chef by the way. The waffles were perfect and fluffy inside with a perfect outside crisp."

Twilights eye by now was twitching again. It wasn't long though until the silence was broken by the sounds of somepony trying desperately to contain their laughter. They all turned to the noises and found Celestia trying with all her might to keep a straight face. To almost anypony else she would have looked fine but to those in the room who knew her and who were capable of better perception than most, well they would be able to tell right away.

With everypony looking at her, her composure broke and she launched into a laughing fit. Merlin grinned as she allowed herself to be swept away. Who would have thought that the former Princess would have such a sense of humor! With the others sufficiently distracted, Merlin snapped his fingers and a single left over berry from his own meal vanished from the plate. It reappeared an the end of Luna's horn where it was content to sit for now, after all this was a rather comfortable spot for a berry and in all honesty it had been worse places by this point.

Celestia upon seeing this launched into a deeper laughing fit as tears streamed from her eyes. The cause of this was lost on the other two as they attempted to get her attention so they could figure out just what was so funny. Merlin looked around and upon noticing Celestia's salad and the few croutons that lay atop it he smiled again and made direct eye contact with her. Another snap of his fingers and a crouton had found a new home with a wonderful view of the room from atop Twilights horn. Premium real-estate when it came to the upper crust of horn housing.

Celestia was beyond saving now as he clutched her stomach, which by now had to have been aching something fierce. Luna turned to Twilight to see if she had figured anything out and stopped cold when she saw the object that had taken roost on the lavender mare's horn. Twilight upon seeing Luna stop turned and found a similar sight and the two locked eyes before they too were lost to laughter.


"Merlin, forgive me but didn't your mother ever teach you not to play with food?" Celestia chuckled, her clean plate having been removed by castle staff was now replaced by a little flower that Merlin had enchanted to dance and twirl.

"She did indeed, she also taught me that if I wasn't having some fun with life I'd live a boring one." He replied as he made the flower dance over to Luna for a bow.

"She sound's like a wise mare. Twilight has told us a bit about you and how you came to be here. But I find myself curious as to what you have in mind while staying here." Luna said, smiling as she gave her own little bow to the flower who then continued it's little impromptu dance across the table. It wandered off to Twilight where it joined its two sisters in a synchronized number that almost seemed random.

"In all honesty I don't really have a goal. In my old world I mostly kept to myself and helped those who sought my counsel. But alas I have done that for far too long and I yearn to get out and explore this new world." Merlin explained as he fashioned a few leaves and blades of grass into a little canoe, complete with benches and oars. With a smile and a light breath he sent it on it's way, it's little oars propelling it through the air as though it were gliding across the glassy surface of a lake in the middle of a warm summers day.

"I think that's a pretty good goal to have. In fact I now a place you can start if you'd like!" Twilight exclaimed enthusiastically, her wings snapping out as she hopped up and toppled the dancing flowers. The trio of blooms right themselves and seemed to almost look at her indignantly as she blushed and apologized for interrupting their dance. The flowers looked unimpressed and moved to continue their dance in front of Celestia, whom they deemed a safer audience.

"Sorry, I got a little excited, but you could go to Ponyville! I have friends that live there and I bet they'd love to show you around." She said happily as Merlin mulled it over. He had already seen Ponyville from the confines of his forest home and it did seem to be a rather quaint place that even from a distance reminded him a bit of home.

"I don't see why not. I didn't really have anything planned as of today. I believe it's the same town as the crystal tree right?" He replied as he snapped his fingers and the dancing flowers who had finished their show gave a bow before hopping back to the floral arrangement that adorned the center of the table.

"That sound's like a wonderful Idea, why don't Lulu and I join you! We haven't seen our friends in a bit and it could be fun!" Celestia exclaimed, her tail swishing happily despite the fact that it seemed to wave about as it pleased.

"Indeed, it does sound like fun sister. Though I have to wonder what you might have planned?" Luna asked as she raised an eyebrow towards her sister who simply shrugged it off.

"Who says I have to be planning something to enjoy myself? I do think we should hit up the spa while we're there. They do let us in for free and it would be a shame to ignore such hospitality." Celestia chuckled as she stood from the table. "Shall I get us tickets?"

Merlin stood with her and placed a hand on her withers to stop her. "No need for tickets today I'm afraid. You see It just so happens that I may or may not have a faster way for us to get back." He explained as he lead them from the Grand Dining Room out into the gardens. It didn't take very long for them to find the largest tree and Merlin walked up to it, placing his hand on its trunk as he closed his eyes.

Once again he asked the tree for permission to use as a gate for travel. However unlike before this tree was quite stubborn and it just didn't really see what was to be gained. Merlin offered it water and extra sunlight in compensation but it merely scoffed at the idea that he would provide it what it got every day for free. As far as this particular tree was concerned, he could go elsewhere. And so with a huff he dropped his hand from it's trunk and turned to his somewhat confused entourage.

"It's stubborn and doesn't want to help so we'll need to find another tree." He said sheepishly. After all it's not like he could force it against it's will, that would be rude. With a still somewhat confused nod they followed after him.

"Sir Merlin, If I may, What did you mean the tree was stubborn? It is but a tree correct?" Luna asked as she walked up next to the mage.

"Ah, I can forgive you for thinking so as you have probably not taken the chance to get to know them. Every tree, plant and living thing has it's own personality and way of thinking. Sometimes it depends on how they were brought up, more so if they are brought up wild. Wild trees tend to think in abstract thoughts and sounds." He explained as they passed a vine covered archway. "Take these vines for instance, they love there home and are quite comfortable where they are at. While most vines in a lot of settings may cause structural damage, these particular vines like this arch for its shape and artistic design and have wrapped themselves in such a way as to preserve it."

Luna and the others looked closer at the webbing patterns of the vines as they crept along crevices and across cracks, almost as though the vines were pulling pieces of stonework together. It really was keeping it structurally sound. They followed after Merlin as he continued his explanation down the winding halls.

"That particular tree back there had a somewhat sour attitude and did not wish to help. I will not force it to do so against it's will as that would be both rude and an abuse of my power. However one does have to wonder where it picked up such a way of thinking in a city filled with nobles no less." He said with a grin and a wink as they exited the castle. They were no longer alone and were now flanked by four palace guards. Where they had come from, Merlin was unsure but that was a good thing. It meant they were doing their jobs and were more often than not, hidden in plain sight.

They checked through trees on the main palace grounds until they came across a very large and very old oak. When they came near it's leave rustled in the slight breeze and the shade it offered was nice and cool. Merlin smiled and placed a hand on it's trunk and asked nicely if it would be willing to aid them in their travel plans. The tree was slow to wake and responded slowly in kind that it had no issues with this so long as they brought one of it's acorns with them to plant at their destination. Merlin gave his agreement and as soon as he did, a single large acorn dropped from a branch and landed in his palm. He placed it away in a satchel and thanked the tree for it's help as he opened the gate.

Through it they could see the Hall of Harmony and as a group they stepped through. Twilight turned to her guards and sent one off to notify the rest of the palace staff that she would be gone for the remainder of the day and to have a mare named Raven reschedule her meetings for later in the week. Once her business was taken care of she too stepped through and the gate closed behind her. The three mares marveled at where the gate had been and the expedience of that form of travel.

"It is indeed a rather useful form of travel and since I'm teaching you nature magic Princess, I could also factor that into our lessons." He explained as Twilight brightened at the prospect of knew knowledge. Celestia giggled at her former student's candor and made her way out of the hall.

"I don't know about you two but I believe I will make my way to the spa. Merlin would you be willing to join me?" Celestia asked as she batted her eyes at him from over her shoulder. Merlin chuckled at her display and bowed.

"It would be a pleasure Celestia. Thought I wonder if your sister might prefer my attention more hmm?" He replied with a wink. Celestia blushed at the fact that he caught on to her joke so quickly and at how quickly in turn he managed to turn it on her. Her sister wasn't any better off as she was now blushing up a storm as well. Merlin simply chuckled at his own humor and turned to Twilight to ask if she was coming, but as he did so he found her borderline catatonic. Apparently hearing her former mentor speak in such a way had a certain impact on her fragile mind.

"Well, I guess she'll catch up. Shall we ladies?" He said as he followed a still blushing Celestia and Luna out of the Castle.


Twilight did in fact catch up with them later and was teased mercilessly during their spa trip. Now that they were all clean and quite well relaxed, Twilight decided that it was time to introduce Merlin to some of her friends. She explained as they walked that a friend of hers by the name of Applejack was usually selling apples in the market to make money for the farm. According to Twilight she was the current proprietress of Sweet Apple Acres after it was passed to her and her brother by their grandmother who ran it before them.

The market was bustling with activity and Merlin took every moment he could to take in the sights and sounds whenever they would stop to talk to a vendor or when ponies would stop to talk to their Princess. Pegasi were flying about, moving clouds and other goods throughout the town, some stopping to converse or ask directions as they went. There were earth ponies and unicorns milling about as they went about their day, some going from stall to stall as they took care of their usual shopping and some who simply came out to enjoy the sunny day.

Birds flew past as they chased each other to and fro, following invisible currents as a soft summer breeze blew through the town. It truly was beautiful here and Merlin was loving it. Soon they came upon a stall filled to almost overflowing with bright, shining, delicious looking red and green apples. The mare at the stall wore a rather interesting hat that Merlin had not laid eyes on before, as well as sporting an orange coat with a blonde mane and tail that had been tied back in a simple ponytail. Her cutie mark showed three apples and she was currently leaning against the side of her stall with a piece of hay sticking out of her mouth.

"Well howdy there Twilight, What can I do for ya?" She asked as the group joined her at the stall.

"Hi Applejack, it looks like you have quite a haul today. I was hoping to introduce you to somepony." Twilight replied as she made way for Merlin to step forward. "This is Merlin, he's a guest to Equestria and he wanted to get out and see a some of our kingdom so I figured I'd show him around. Celestia and Luna wanted to join us for a day out and to catch up with you guys."

Applejack grinned and reached out to grab Merlin's hand as she shook it veraciously. "Howdy partner, name's Applejack. As you can tell Ponyville's a nice enough town when it's not being attacked my weird creatures and otherworldly nonsense. You don't seem too bad right as I can tell."

Merlin grinned as he retrieved his now thoroughly shaken hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you Applejack. Does this town really get attacked that often? Seems like you would want some kind of walls around the town wouldn't you?" He asked as he looked around at just how open the town really was.

"Well shucks, Ya can't rightly look around at the scenery if it's all blocked up by walls now can ya? Now since you're not from around these parts, I can imagine ya ain't had a Sweet Apple Acres apple before?" Applejack replied as she tossed an apple from the cart to Merlin, who caught it rather deftly.

"No I can't say I have." He said as he took a bite. It was crisp and made a nice crunch as his teeth sunk into it. It was juicy and sweet and left him smiling in delight as he chewed. He swallowed his bite and finished off the rest before turning the core into an apple themed butterfly that wandered off on a breeze. "Miss Applejack that was without a doubt one of the best apples I've had in a very long time. Thank you."

Applejack watched the butterfly fly away as she looked back to the strange man and nodded. "Sound's about right as far as Sweet Apple Acres apples are concerned. That there was a pretty neat trick if you don't mind me sayin."

Merlin gave a slight laugh and snapped his fingers again. One of the apples on the cart became a pear and suddenly everything went silent. You could have heard a pin drop as Applejack looked between it and the mage who had now earned her ire.

"Y'all better change it back before we have words you ain't gonna like sugarcube."

Merlin chuckled and changed it back before doubling over in more laughter as the rest of the girls joined in. This was a nice town, and he definitely liked it here. And if Applejack was anything to go by, he was going to enjoy meeting the rest of Twilight's friends.

That made him wonder, just what kind of mischief he could get up to in a small town like this.