• Published 9th Jun 2022
  • 149 Views, 0 Comments

The Basics of the Equestrian Magic - MirroredHawk



Lecturer explains to students nature of magic and various existing schools of magic.

  • ...
 0
 149

Lesson 12: School of Protection (Informal lesson)

“So, not much left. Today we are going to cover protection. Let me warn you, it surely is not on the easy side. Protective spells are quite abstract making it hard to really understand what you need to get. Also, it is vital to know other schools at least to some extent. It is especially important to know elemental magic and magical martial arts if you don't want to get yourself immediately killed, of course.”

There was a knocking on the door. Lecturer smiled, “Here comes the greatest example of the protection school grandmaster.”

Door has opened and King Sombra in his blue robe entered the auditorium.
“Morning students, Fire Sense,” Sombra leaned his head forward a bit.

Fire bowed and said, “It is an honour to see Your Majesty in our school.”

“It is a pleasure to participate in the opening of another such school. Even with all the hardships we have to endure during wartime, at least something good happens,” Sombra glanced at the students, “As I heard, today's lesson is about the protection school, am I correct?”

Some students nodded still quite not believing their eyes. Sombra hummed and continued, “Would you mind if I will take it from here?” he asked not looking at the Fire.

“How can I, Your Majesty,” answered lecturer and stepped aside.

“Very well,” said Sombra and stood in the lecturer's place, he coughed, his horn lit up and close to him yellow magical shield appeared, reflecting light across the whole auditorium. “It is an example of a simple magical shield, which you will mostly see during any combat involving unicorns. Its most important advantage is its versatility. Such shield is able to deflect directed spell. Fire Sense, could you demonstrate our students it in action?”

Fire hesitated a bit. Sombra noticed that, “Do not worry, I will be able to handle any of your spells. But, for the sake of safety try to hit me with the lightning,” he smiled.

Lecturer, still unsure, stood in front of Sombra. His horn lit up with the green light and a violet-white flash hit the shield with the electric sound. Some students on the front seats shuddered.

“Well, I told you, there is nothing to worry about,” Sombra said triumphantly, “If I'm called a grandmaster then I, probably, can handle one small controlled lightning strike, am I not?” he smiled, “So, you just witnessed how magical shield suppressed the lightning. It is a more professional method to eliminate opponent's spell. Magical shield allowed me not only deflect the projectile, it absorbed the energy, converting it back to the magical for the shield sustaining.

“Let's continue our informal lesson. Protection magic is not easy to use, you need good reflexes, vision and magic wielding. During our small demonstration Mr. Sense telegraphed his actions and I had plenty of time to think on the response. In a real battle, of course, everything is way more complicated. Strong wizards, mastering martial arts can fake their attacks, use complex magical attacking spells and more. It becomes a real duel even before flashes start to fly in every direction.

“But enough of this dry theory. I would like to show you what a real duel looks like. You will see how complicated it is on practise,” Sombra questionably glanced at Fire.

“I don't know, it can contradict with the study material...” Lecturer answered ambiguously.

“Then I demand to change it. Practical demonstration is important for the understanding,” he turned to the students again, “remember, without practise your studies can be held up by a single spell, which you won't be able to cast due to the lack of the memory strong enough to cause right emotion to trigger it. Protection magic demands full control over your emotions, because it is almost impossible to keep calm when something threatens your or your loved ones. And considering the complex spells; you need to have such strong connection with somepony, which just cannot be described with words,” he slowly turned his head to the side, quickly turning it back and changing his voice to a more playful one, “So, are we going outside or what?”

“If you will order, then...” Fire still was hesitant.

“Then I order you to duel with me in the schoolyard!” Sombra said, still playfully. He called everypony with his hoof and left the auditorium with students, while Fire, still completely confused and now quite anxious followed.