• Published 4th Jul 2022
  • 173 Views, 2 Comments

Numbered Days - Im a B O X



What should be done when the days are numbered?

  • ...
 2
 173

Chapter 2: The Key to Securing Power…

Canterlot Palace, at an undisclosed time…


Twilight sat up on her throne with humbling patients, radiating a comforting aura that most would describe as one of “understanding”. Here, she silently sat, some familiar faces stood before her, having arrived at her calling.

She looked at them closely, monitoring their movements. Before her were some of her most trusted officials, and amongst them, Raven Inkwell stood in front of them all as their representative to the crown.

“So… how did the summit at Griffinstone go?” she asked.

“Less than ideal,” Raven Inkwell admitted, “it was nothing more than bickering on paperwork relating to… him.”

“Uggghhhh…” Twilight groaned. This was news to her, and to think she sent her best-negotiating team to this summit, only for it to turn out to be a little convention about Bold Ideals and his works.

“Well, at least tell me some good news Inkwell,” She said, “I don’t want this to be our first endeavor to go unfruitful.”

As a response, Inkwell rigorously shifted through dozens of pages, with Twilight waiting patiently for her to give a response. With each passing moment of silence, a tense air started to grow as hesitation and fear of disappointing the sovereign started to set in. She had hoped that, if there was no good news, at least bring her news they could make use of.

“Anything?” she asked as the moments dragged on.

“I… um… I don’t have anything else to say.” Inkwell responded.

And like a disappointed mother would tell their children, Twilight took in a deep breath, seemingly trying to hide the growing annoyance in both her mood and voice. “Every pony, out,” she bellowed, “except you, Inkwell.”

And every pony followed their monarch’s orders, making their leave in single file, heads held down in shame. Once the room had been vacated by everyone except Twilight and Raven Inkwell, their worlds seemed to change as Twilight cast a barrier surrounding the two of them, making sure to have sealed it shut from any prying ears.

“Alright, now talk to me honestly now, Inkwell,” she said, “and kudos for having some integrity in keeping such secrets, well, secrets.”

“Anything for you, your highness,” Inkwell responded.

“That said, there are things that need to be addressed, so tell me truthfully, what is the state of Equis? Not in Equestria’s view, but for any other minor nation.” She asked

“As it stands,” she began, “It could be better, it could be worst, and as you predicted, the other nations have started to make backend deals and the beginnings of what could be counter-intelligence agencies.”

“Any incidents? News?” Twilight asked.

“Well, as far as major incidents are of note, there was a strike that happened in Griffinstone… allegedly there were plans to unify some coastal ports of the badlands into the federation… there are rumors of some nations expanding their military might… and the persisting whispers of Ideals’ name here and there.”

“And just as he predicted…” she muttered, “and much sooner than expected.”

She groaned at this revelation, if only Spike was here to accompany her through this endeavor. Even her own personal student was still back at Ponyville while she was here at Canterlot trying to decipher what a good big brain move would be in this evolving ecosystem they call the “Balance of Power”.

‘Bucking hell, why can’t ruling an entire federation be simple?’ she thought, Equestria was in all but name a Federation. She wouldn’t consider it an empire nor would she consider the system to be of parliament-style but compared to Bold Ideals’ theoretical systems, and the somewhat primitive (and straightforward) systems of other nations, Equestria was that middle ground between the complex possibility of the future and the simplicity of Celestia's set.

Getting sidetracked, she went back to her initial thoughts. “Shame… Spike is still on leave with Ember and Thorax, so I can’t get him to mediate or negotiate some delicate treaties for the while… What about you Inkwell, do you think you could fill in for him and pull me a big favor?” She asked her, with Inkwell’s expression shifting into one of surprise at the question.

“Um, don't take this personally, your highness, but I am half as qualified to be your advisor, and twice as likely to be kidnapped by a Griffon should I take the offer, sure, there is a reassurance, but even I couldn't pull off such miracles. As it stands, I am being paid twice as much to simply shift and sort through your daily routine. So forgive me if I don’t think I'm the pony for the job”

“Fair point…” she remarked, “anyways, if that’s the state the world is right now… how about Equestria? What’s been brewing within our borders?”

Equally as intrigued, it took a few moments for Inkwell to sort through the papers before she found some stories. “Well, a quarter of the newspaper is about the possibilities of Ideals’ work for the betterment of Equestria and the other half are basically reactions to the whole ordeal, even the ‘big three’ are in the trend… somehow.”

“You mean Songbird, Sapphire, and Coloratura?”

“Yep, that’s what they're known as,” she clarified, “Aannnnd…”

Shifting through a couple more lines of paper, Inkwell stumbled upon some more interesting stories. “There are rumors of an organized strike in three different city-states… and the ERN had announced its plan to expand its railway from Griffinstone to the Dragon lands, and alleged plans to expand west and southwards of Equestria’s former borders with Griffonstone.”

“Hmm… interesting.” Twilight thought, internally trying to figure out some big brain moves to see where she might land.

Equis and Equestria were divided, a lack of narrative for the nations to hinge upon, only the past to look back, learn, and build upon. Yet she knew that was just one option that could make way and lead a nation, Ideals’ taught her that history could be made, it was possible, and that such endeavors were always risky to some existent. Celestia was by no means a perfect ruler, but she had played off so many things in terms of modernization that it had been left to Twilight’s accord to fix and find a resolution of improvement, for the sake of her little ponies.

Not that Twilight blamed Celestia, it was just the thought that her job could be easier, but she knew change had to start somewhere, and Celestia wasn’t that change. Furthermore, Twilight knew that if they don't do something to improve both for and in the future, they would sooner be left into obscurity.

“You know what…” she said, turning her back to Inkwell as she was consumed in deep thought. “I think this is a great opportunity… it gives me enough leeway to warrant some changes to the system and bring a bit of something new, slowly modernizing it… yeah, that could work.”

She smirked as if she was proud of what she had just figured out. “Inkwell, do you think you could reschedule my entire plan for this month?”

“I um…” she shifted through dozens of pages to inspect the possible. “I think so, yes, your highness. I could reschedule the entire… month?”

Slowly the realization came but what’s done is done, and there was no turning back from Twilight to Inkwell. Immediately, Twilight brightened up at her response, clearly pleased with the arrangement.

“Then could you get me an appointment with Solemn Vow?”

For a moment, Inkwell didn't respond, hoping she was hearing things, but once she realized there was no changing, she took to the next step she knew in starting things off. “When would you like it?”

“If possible, tomorrow afternoon,” Twilight responded.

“Why?” Inkwell asked, intrigued as to the reason why Twilight might have this change of heart. She knew first well there must be something ticking inside her head, she did learn a thing or two from being Celestia’s personal accountant for a time.

“I would like to have a little… discussion with him. He talks a big game in his field and I think he may have more than what he lets on.” Twilight responded without hesitation.

“No, I mean, why did you ask me if I could reschedule you for the entire month?” Inkwell asked, all the while writing down and doing mental adjustments and math to best suit the new change of plans of her sovereign.

“Oh, that… well, I have a feeling that there would be a big event for us, soon enough.”

Skeptically, Raven Inkwell looked at Twilight concerningly, before shrugging it off. “If you say so, I’ll have everything arranged by tomorrow morning.”

“Thank you again, Inkwell,” Twilight said.

“A pleasure to work with you as always, Princess.” She responded, bowing slowly as began to leave, with Twilight seeing her off.

Soon enough, once Raven Inkwell left the room proper, Twilight quickly cast a teleportation spell to her personal bedroom. Now left alone to her own thoughts, Twilight couldn’t help but have her mind wander off to the books she had read. So many books, from Star Swirl to some of Celestia’s old books, and now, Ideals’ books. In front of her was the messy bedroom she had, unfit for a princess but still reflecting her very true nature, hungry for knowledge and to understand the world around her.

Countless papers lay scattered as unfinished manuscripts and other documents lay around. Lazily, she looked over all of them, but one thing was constantly in her mind, something was about to happen. And it ticked on her to no end, she really did feel like something was amiss, and it frustrated her. Unable to do anything, she sought answers, and although she has the resources to follow through, there are simpler ways to do so.

“Tomorrow,” she mumbled to herself, “tomorrow, I’ll settle it with him.” She mumbled.