• Published 24th Dec 2011
  • 1,224 Views, 10 Comments

Dark Genie - jdb1984



A powerful stallion says he can grant wishes for Ponyville. But is he what he seems?

  • ...
2
 10
 1,224

Chapter 1

It was a perfect day in Ponyville. The sun was out, with only a few white clouds dotting the sky. Twilight Sparkle was out taking a walk, with Spike riding on her back. As they approached the center of town, they saw a large crowd of ponies gathered around in one spot.

“I wonder what’s going on,” Twilight said, before heading over there herself.

As she got closer, she noticed that Pinkie, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were among the crowd. And now that she was closer, Twilight could see that they were all gathered around a dark colored stallion. He stood about a hoof taller than Celestia, with a large black horn on his head. His mane and tail were colored a light green color, and his flank had the cutie mark of a magic lamp.

“Hey there, sugarcube,” Applejack greeted, when she saw Twilight approach.

“Hi, everyone,” Twilight answered. “What’s going on?”

“Nobody knows,” Pinkie answered enthusiastically, bouncing around a bit. “He just said he had a message he wanted all of us to hear. Ooh, this is so exiting.”

“Citizens of Ponyville,” the dark stallion said. “I am known as Dark Genie, and I offer you gifts. Anything you want, any wish you may have, I can grant. But only one.”

This started to draw murmurs from the crowd, some exited, others disbelieving. Twilight was instantly suspicious of his intentions, though Rarity and Rainbow Dash seemed to be getting exited at the possibilities.

“Any wish? Does that mean…” Rainbow Dash started, getting more exited with each word, and her eyes twinkling. “I can join the Wonderbolts?”

“I could have a lot of gems, the most beautiful gems to ever grace my dresses. With enough, I could even expand my business and have enough for the material to offer the most stunning dresses ever seen,” Rarity mentioned.

“Of course, if you do git diamonds, make sure they're not just boulders first,” Applejack teased, earning herself a death glare.

“However,” Dark Genie continued, cutting into their thoughts. “These gifts will not come without a price. The thing you treasure most will be the payment I will take. And remember, you all have only one wish, so choose wisely. I will have a temporary residence for myself set up tomorrow, and you can come then.”

As he turned to walk off, someone asked, “Can you give us a demonstration, to make sure we know you can back your claim?”

He turned back and asked, “Can you make a small wish? This one’s for free.”

“How about a bag full of bits,” the other pony asked.

“Very well,” Dark Genie answered.

His horn started to sparkle, and magical energy seemed to wrap itself around the horn, coming together at the tip. Before the crowd, a burlap sack appeared out of nothing, and the magic in the horn faded. The crowd moved closer to the sack, as one of them opened it to find it was full of shiny gold bits. The pony took one out and bit on it experimentally, finding it to be real.

As the crowd dispersed, amazed at what they saw, Twilight walked back towards home, her mind on what she just witnessed.

“So, what do you think?” Spike asked her.

“I’m not sure what to think. I can make things appear out of thin air to a very limited degree, but I can’t make a large bag of bits appear like that. That’s some heavy duty magic, way beyond my current skills,” Twilight answered, then noticed Spike was looking back towards Rarity. “But I think I can guess what you’d wish for, Romeo.”

“And you’d probably be right,” he answered, getting a dreamy look on his face.

---

The next day, there was a domed home that appeared on the outskirts of Ponyville. A line of ponies started to form early that morning, just as Rainbow Dash and her crew were clearing up the sky for the day. When her crew finished up the weather changes, Rainbow Dash took one look at the line and thought that she should wait until more ponies are finished. Instead, she flew around town a bit. As she flew by Fluttershy's home, she noticed Fluttershy in her yard.

"Now eat this carrot all up, and remember not to eat it too fast," Rainbow Dash heard Flutershy tell her rabbit, Angel, as she came down.

“Hi, Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said, as she landed. “Hear what’s going on in Ponyville?”

“Oh…hi, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy answered, as she turned away from feeding some of the animals. “No, I haven’t. Is Pinkie Pie having another surprise party for a new pony?”

“No, though I don’t think the new stallion would be interested in getting a Pinkie Pie Party anyway,” Rainbow Dash answered, laughing at the thought. Then she filled Fluttershy in on the offer Dark Genie made.

“That…sounds nice,” was all Fluttershy had to say. “But I don’t think I’ll be seeing him.”

“Really? There’s nothing you really want?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“There’s nothing I need. I have a home, my animals, and good friends like you. What more can a mare ask for?” she answered her.

“Well, okay. But if you change your mind, he’ll be in town for a couple more days,” Rainbow Dash replied, before flying away.

Fluttershy just nodded, as she continued what she was doing.

---

As Rainbow Dash headed back to town, she noticed that the line was a lot shorter than it was earlier that day. Thinking that this was a good of time as any, she fluttered down to land at the end of the line. Things went quickly. No more than 15 minutes past with each pony, and she watched as each one carried out what they always dreamed of having. But then, something unusual happened.

The young filly in front of Rainbow Dash stepped inside, and she was in there longer than any of the previous ponies in front of her. And when she finally walked out, she had tears in her eyes. Before Rainbow Dash could ask any questions, she ran off. Rainbow Dash barely had any time to wonder what happened before she was called in.

The dome wasn’t all that big on the outside, and inside was even smaller, with just a bed and a kitchen as furnishings. There was a door that Rainbow Dash thought might lead to more rooms, and a stairway that probably led to a basement. Dark Genie himself was standing at the opposite end of the room.

“Well, what is it that you wish, young one?” he asked.

Rainbow Dash stood her ground, as she looked up at the large unicorn in front of her. After a deep breath, she said, “I wish to be a member of the Wonderbolts.”

“Very well. It will be done,” Dark Genie replied.

He closed his eyes, as the magic wrapped around his horn again. Rainbow Dash felt herself lifted up, as black magic swirled around her body, soon obscuring her vision. Her body started to tingle, as a Wonderbolts uniform started to appear on her body, starting at the hooves and going up. As it passed her eyes, she gained a pair of goggles as well.

As it all faded, Rainbow Dash looked over her new uniform. Her ankles had bolts going across them, as well as a large bolt going down her chest. On her flank was the bolt symbol, but her bolt was rainbow in color.

“This is awesome!” she cried. “Best. Day. Ever.”

“The Wonderbolts will think of you as a new member. They will contact you soon about practice times and performances. Enjoy,” Dark Genie told her.

---
"No, no, no. Why can I never find the right book?” Twilight complained, mostly to herself, as she searched through the library.

“If you would organize this place more often, you wouldn’t have this problem every time,” Spike answered, before getting a book to the face.

“Stop complaining and keep…wait, here we go.” Twilight replied, finding the one she was searching for. “Finally.”

She brought it over to her reading table, flipped the pages magically to find the right one, and started reading.

“Dark Genie is a stallion that says he grants wishes, but he is nothing more than a notorious…” was all Twilight was able to read.

---

Rainbow Dash was flying through the air. She knew that she should probably head home, but couldn’t resist showing off her new costume a bit. So she flew low over Ponyville, as ponies looked up and saw her. Her rainbow mane and tail gave away her identity, but the people could tell that her costume was genuine, and were happy she fulfilled her lifelong dream.

When she was done showing off, she noticed that she was near the library, and decided to show her the new uniform to Twilight. But when she walked in, she found that the place was empty. Rainbow Dash knew that Twilight usually reserves this time for studying, so it was strange not to see her at home.

“Twilight? Spike? You home?” she called out.

After looking around everywhere, and only an empty library greeting her, she decided that they were both out somewhere. As she turned to leave, the open book, and the illustration of Dark Genie, caught her eye. Curious, she stepped over to read what it said.

Dark Genie is a stallion that says he grants wishes, but he is nothing more than a notorious con man. He grants people wishes, and all he asks in return are whatever the recipient treasures the most. This can be anything: sentimental items, great riches, or even…

“Family and friends!” Rainbow Dash called out, when she read that part.

He stays in any one town for only a few days, and when he leaves, the wishes people make will fade, while he keeps whatever he collects. People’s sentimental items have no value to him, but the riches are kept by him, and anyone living will be kept as slaves back at wherever he lives. His location is currently unknown.

“Nobody messes with my friends and gets away with it,’ she declared, sliding her new goggles over her eyes. “It. Is. ON!”