• Published 24th Dec 2011
  • 1,141 Views, 15 Comments

Working in a Mattress Store: The Daily Life of Lazy Days - DiStort



A story of a sleep deprived pony working in a mattress store

  • ...
1
 15
 1,141

Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Twilight Sparkle

It was still fairly early in the morning, but the main shopping district was already up and bustling. Bon-bon selling bon-bons, Applejack selling apples, Mr. Davenport selling quills and sofas, and so on. That last one had always puzzled Lazy Days, as he watched out the window from Sleep Sculptor’s counter. Most ponies had names that related to their special talents somehow, but what the heck is a davenport? And what does it have to do with sofas and stationary? Come to think of it, what did sofas have to do with stationary?

These were the kinds of things Lazy Days thought about when he had nothing better to do. However, he was quickly snapped out of his tangent when the little bell on the front door rang. In walked a purple unicorn mare. Her mane was a darker shade of purple with a pink stripe running through it, and she had a cutie mark of a bright, sparkly star thing. Anypony with eyes could tell it was Twilight Sparkle, resident librarian and star pupil of the Princess herself.

“Morning, Twilight,” Days greeted, “anything ridiculous planned for today?” Twilight gave a small sigh in response.

“Are you going to ask me that every time I come in here?” Days shrugged.

“Probably.”

See, here’s the thing about Twilight, and this was something all of Ponyville had come to realize. The filly, bless her heart, was a magnet for trouble. Ponyville was a pretty laid back place until she moved in, and ever since there’s been some kind of conflict or disaster happening at least once a week. Now, being nice, honest folk, the ponies of Ponyville never held this against her. At the very least, it had certainly been helpful to the carpentry industry, considering the constant collateral damage.

Lazy Days never really minded the antics of her and her friends. At the very least it was fun to watch. He made 10 bits on that Iron Pony competition she helped organize a while back placing bets on the events with a friend. There was one time when the town got a little peeved at Twilight, though, and that’s when she went loco in the coco and enchanted her Smartypants doll, making everypony fight over it. Did it bother Days at all? Well, let’s just say that that particular day was a really good day for him to try wearing his new pair of super-thick sunglasses. Fella couldn’t see the sun, let alone an enchanted doll. He didn’t even know anything had happened until it was all over. When his friend told him the whole story, all Days had to say was: “Unless it has a kung-fu grip, that doll’s nothing special, enchantment or not.”

After a brief chuckle, Days looked up at Twilight.

“Okay, seriously. What can I do-ez for you-ez?” he asked with a funny accent.

“Well, last night I was studying the stars and constellations and whatnot, but it was really hard to see them. I think the pegasi were working on a night shower, and all of the clouds were blocking my view.” Days held up his hoof to stop her for a second.

“I can’t build you a flying mattress, if that’s what you’re going to ask. Trust me, I’ve tried.” Twilight shook her head in response.

“No, no, nothing like that. I wanted to know if you could make a set of sheets, but with a custom design. Namely, an accurate map of the stars. That way, if there’s a night shower, I can still study the skies.” Days scratched his chin in thought, when suddenly his eyes lit up and he slammed his hoof down on the counter.

“Twilight, not only will I make those sheets, but I’ve got any idea for them that will knock your socks off.” He briefly glanced down at her bare hooves. “Or, y’know, it would if you were wearing socks. Actually, can you wear socks when you come to get it tomorrow? I wanna see if they fly off.” Twilight was startled at the sudden burst of energy from the lethargic unicorn, but gave him a slightly shaky nod.

“Um, sure, I guess…”

“Great! Stop by tomorrow, and remember the socks.” She smiled and walked out the door.

“Thanks! See you tomorrow, Lazy!” As the door closed, Days picked up his trusty marker again and bounced over to the white board, writing : “Starry sheets for Twilight. Look though basement for old book on animating pictures.” Satisfied, he set the marker down and took his place back at the front, returning to staring out the window. A stray thought entered his head as he mumbled it aloud.

“What the heck is her cutie mark even supposed to be?”