• Published 6th May 2022
  • 2,244 Views, 229 Comments

Whistling Rain - Schwabauer



The Prussians invade Equestria, having conquered almost the entirety of their world.

  • ...
11
 229
 2,244

Chapter 19 - 18 months on

Twilight sat in her library, quietly reading. She sat beside a window, letting the warm summer breeze drift in. Outside the ponies of Ponyville trotted about their days, enjoying the beautiful summer afternoon. Most of the ponies were farmers and shop keepers, packing up their stalls and going home for the evening. But amongst them was the occasional pony with a rigid mane and self assured posture. A military camp had been set up nearby, and gave cadets leave to visit the town every once and a while.

In the year and a half since the founding of the Crystal Protectorate— although Celestia still refused to recognize the nation as legitimate— and in the time an unprecedented amount of growth was experienced in it. The farming output had more than quadrupled, and a year round growing zone had rapidly been grown around the capital city. Thousands of acres of crop land was held in a constant temperate zone, massive pillars of crystal jutting from the ground to focus the barrier through them. New farming techniques had been implemented, and were jealously guarded by both the Crystallians and Prussians.

The Protectorate had also begun many other projects, rapidly building factories with new and exciting technologies. For now they were just slowly moving forward, introducing the factories slowly and gradually ramping them up and not exporting the goods. New ports were under construction near the Equestrian border, with metalled roads winding out from them towards the capital. Prussian detachments aided in the construction, carrying bricks in their packs as they marched about the Protectorate on exercises and drills.

The Bavarian army had mostly withdrawn, leaving a small garrison force of thirty thousand in their new colony. A string of simple wooden forts was being constructed all along the valley that bordered Equestria. By contrast only a few small outposts had been built along the main roads that cross the Crystal Protectorate border, acting more as customs points than actual force projection. The population of the colony was growing rapidly has citizens arrived by the thousands from the Bavarian provinces in their home world.

Home world. What an odd thing to say. Even two years after the Prussians ripping a hole between their worlds it was odd to consider there being more than world in the universe, let alone one as different as the Prussian’s, which they called Earth. Celestia had immediately begun campaigns to teach her people of the evils of their new technology and what it brought. She preached to her ponies that the Prussians had begun to transform the Protectorate into a mechanical nightmare that must be stopped and reverted to its original state. Having seen firsthand what they could do Twilight was initially a fervent supporter of Celestia, giving a few short speeches at gatherings to galvanize the population into aiding in the military buildup.

Now thought, Twilight just wanted to read. The initial fury at the loss of her friends had subsided into heart aching grief. While she still believed in the cause, she wanted time to rest. She wanted nothing more than to move on from their deaths, to make new friends and put those nightmarish events behind her. She spent her days working in the library, reading books and occasionally going on an outing with the other townponies.

Today she was reading a book about how to make paint. It detailed the most important plants for pigments and how to mix them for better colors. Her reading was interrupted when a knock came at the door to the library. How strange, she had put up the sign saying it was closed. Trotting to the door, past a snoozing Spike, she quickly closed the book marking the page.

Behind the door stood three ponies, two in royal guard dress while the third wore a neat tie. She quietly presented a message to Twilight that bore the symbol Celestia and Luna. A summons to the castle for a special assignment.


Celestia sat in her throne room with her sister and a captain of the guard. The doors swung open, and Twilight entered, hidden in by the Equestrian Royal guard. She carried with her an already packed bag, prepared for the mission ahead.

“Twilight Sparkle,” began Luna, just as Twilight dropped to a bow, “We have summoned you here for a special assignment. You and Captain Kake will be leading the resistance movement in the Empire. The two of you will be sent with a small detachment of guards. Sixty to be exact. We want you to train Protectorate citizens and guards who fled, and lead an incursion to reinstate our nation.”

Twilight nodded, swallowing and looking around before asking, “And I must take this assignment?”

Celestia stood with a nod, trotting down beside Twilight. Once she was standing facing the opposite direction she leaned down and said, “No. But I implore you to take it. For Rainbow Dash. For Rarity. For Applejack. For all those under the oppression of the Prussians. Luna and I need you to be the face of the resistance. I need you to create plans for war. These invaders must be driven from our world, before they spread their violence and technology, infecting the entirety of our home. Do you understand, Twilight?”

Twilight felt tears well up in her eyes for a moment as she remembered what she had lost. With a chocked up throat, Twilight nodded, and Celestia straightened back up, a small, confident smile on her face. She trotted back up to her throne and sat, before adding one final sentence, “Captain Kake, Twilight, you understand that under no circumstance you can reveal that Equestria sent soldiers to overthrow the Prussian puppet government?”

“Yes, Princess Celestia,” Captain Kake said, while Twilight nodded vigorously, still fighting back her own tears. With that, the two were dismissed and sent to meet their guards.


The guard ponies that Twilight had been sent on the train with all had shaggy manes, grown out and unkempt for a military pony. They had replaced their normal heavy, ornate armor with light leather armor with small metal plates dotted about. It was less protective, but allowed better movement and speed, and could be easier to hide. They hauled hundreds of kilograms of armor and equipment from the station to the isolated training camp.

The camp itself was in the northeast, just a hundred miles from the border. The camp had hundreds of tents and was in a large mountain meadow surrounded by thick forests. The only access road was the one the trainers approached on, and it was narrow and poorly maintained.

One section of camp had neat, straight tents with well groomed stallions and mares trotting about, doing various tasks with efficiency. These eighty ponies were the only professional soldiers that had escaped the Protectorate, and it was clear. The other occupants of the camp were a ragtag horde. There was no other way to put it. Citizens of all shapes and sizes were in the camp, laying about or occupying themselves in some way. Few to none of them were doing the necessary tasks for living like collecting water without hounding from others, who in turn did nothing. The tents were all haphazard and stooping low. It was clear the Royal Guard would have difficulty snapping these sorry excuses for ponies into fighting shape.


Two weeks into the training Twilight was beginning to understand why her brother was wary of sweets. Captain Kake — whose full name was Jelly Filled Kake, Twilight later learned — had convinced her to join in the drills to get into shape. She fell in line and marched with the worst of the recruits, learning her faces and how to hold a halberd. She practiced her bucks and spells, quickly mastering the art of flinging deadly, boiling magical plasma at targets.

Twilight surpassed the skill of any other pony in the camp. so quickly eclipsed the skill of the any unicorns in camp that she took over instruction for the civilians, teaching them the basics of weapon manipulation and magic bolts. She instructed the soldiers how to send shards of sharp magic flying through the air, and even tried to teach them teleportation. Much to both her and Captain Kake’s disappointment, not a single other unicorn could grasp the concept.

The tents had been repitched and straightened, leading to a more professional looking camp. The duties of the camp were kept on a board and followed religiously. In the center of the camp was a slightly larger command tent, filled to the brim with maps of the Empire, scrawled with plans and new construction being marked all about it. Rolled up beside it were written plans with sections crossed out and edits made all over them. Every night Twilight and Captain Kake went over potential scenarios and plans, each taking turns being the Prussians.

After weeks of practice and drills the two agreed that the only possible victory came from achieving a few early victories and winning the support of the ponies in the Empire. They both also agreed that the only way to achieve early victories was with ambushes and hit and run tactics to exhaust the Prussian troops. Combine that with propaganda leaflets and capturing a stronghold to spread from and they could get the support they needed while whittling at the Prussian occupation forces.


Ludolf Krämer was waltzing through the corridors, his partner his cane. Humming and swaying to himself he approached the Regent’s office. Initially he had been forced to greet her in the throne room, but thanks to his ever increasingly powerful reforms he had instituted over the eighteen months she had moved her daily tasks to what had once been a parlor but was now an office. Most of the leisure rooms in the castle were converted into offices to support the growing bureaucracy of a modern nation state.

The guards opened the door as Krämer approached, having broken out into a jog. His dress shoes clicked and clacked on the crystal floor as he ran. Just before the door he shifted and slid on the toes of his feet into the office, cane acting as a counterbalance. He quickly swung it down and stopped himself in front of a chair, flipped off his top hat and plopped down.

“Regent Cadenza.”

“Sir Krämer.”

Cracking his back, Krämer straightened up before asking Cadence, “Do you read Equestrian newspapers, Regent?”

Cadence gave him a quizzical look, before nodding cautiously, “Yes, I read the Canterlot Harold evenings with my husband. Why?”

Krämer pulled a printed sheet from his back pocket, slapping it down on the table. In bold headlines it read “Royal Guards Shipping Out”. Krämer looked Cadence in the eyes and said, “A small town newspaper near the Bavarian border reported that a group of royal guard training twenty miles away were preparing to leave. They may have just been conducting exercises, but I’m afraid they are preparing a full invasion.”

“What are we going to do?”

“You will do nothing. Prussia will do nothing until Bavaria is assaulted. We have no actual proof, and we have no spies. I just figured you’d want to know about troop movements that may threaten our borders. I fear we may be at war with Equestria again sooner than we wished. Have a good night, Regent Cadenza,” Krämer stood as he said this, spinning on a heel and sauntering out, flipping his hat back on as the guards shut the door behind him.

As he excitedly walked down the hall, shifting his posture with every step, he pulled a pad and pencil from his suit jacket and began scribbling down notes for his future plans. They detailed the future of Crystallian ship manufacturing. If the troop movements actually troubled the man, it did not show in his walk or writings.

Once Ludolf reached his room he changed into his nightgown and slept soundly, preparing for the next day of work with peace of mind. His rest energized not only him but those around him, fueling them to follow along in a heightened state of efficiency.

In another section of the castle Cadence could not be said to feel the same. She nervously chewed on her hoof; her husband already asleep. He had all but retired, the wounds of the war leaving him lame and his magic weak. Shining Armor split his day in two. In the morning he preformed light administrative work for the guard, and in the afternoon, he learned how to enjoy his time off and not work. He was mildly content with the ever present fear all ponies of the capital held since the war and slept soundly.

After much tossing and turning Cadence eventually fell into a sleep that would not rest her or prepare her for the busy day tomorrow, but would drain her energy with worrying dreams.