• Published 6th May 2022
  • 2,242 Views, 229 Comments

Whistling Rain - Schwabauer



The Prussians invade Equestria, having conquered almost the entirety of their world.

  • ...
11
 229
 2,242

Chapter 1

The Main Six step from a train fresh to Canterlot, its boiler still pumping steam into the air. Celestia had called them there urgently, a situation in need of a resolution. While the six friends plus dragon assistant wound their way through the peaceful and serene streets of Canterlot. Ponies bustled about, happily going about their business, contributing to a strong economy that flowed throughout the Twin Monarchies of Equestria. Few patrols of police or royal guard could be spotted among the throbbing crowds, peace strong and long lasting in the region.

Several ponies stopped and waved at the many times saviors of Equestria, absolutely beaming. The various citizens nearly passed out when one of the heroes waved back. The neatly paved streets led them to the towering, gleaming palace of the two princesses, regal as their occupants.

They entered the palace gates easily without hindrance, the guards smiling and stepping aside, their spears gleaming in Celestia’s glorious sunlight. The seven Equestrian heroes made their way through the expansive gardens and paths to a small private lawn. Two Lunar and two Solar guards stood, little more than ceremonial in this time of peace.

After being let through both Luna and Celestia greeted them, gesturing kindly for them to sit. Once everybody was seated, Celestia directed her attention to Twilight, speaking to her, “Hello, my faithful student. You and your friends must be wondering why I called you here today.”

Celestia paused, politely waiting for a response, to make it a proper conversation. Applejack bit first, as to the point as ever, “Yes Princess. Ah was wonderin’ why it was.... what did th’ letta say Twilight?”

“It said ‘My beloved student, it is impertinent that you and the elements come to Canterlot right away. I fear some new evil may be rising to the Northwest.’” Twilight recited from memory.

“Thank you, my student,” Celestia began, a small smile plastering her face, “And yes, I do believe a new evil may be rising on the outskirts of Equestria. Strange bipedal beasts have been arriving by large boats, of which we have never seen the likes of before. They are building a fort on the outskirts of my sister and I's territory. At first, we thought they were simple travelers, and we prepared to meet them. Then the bound and enslaved ponies arrived.”

Every pony at the table gasped, and Spike fainted soundlessly. Fluttershy look terrified and worried. Rarity was horrified. Twilight looked both curious, in a scholarly way, and disgusted. Applejack and Rainbow were both starting to boil. Pinkie’s normally brimming smile and vibrating posture has calmed, smile now forced and body still.

After a short pause to allow reactions, Celestia continued. Her smiling façade was gone now, replaced by a dark and foreboding look. “We need you to investigate, free the enslaved peoples there, and destroy this rising threat. You will depart this evening, on a train to the Crystal Empire. From there a company will escort you to the fort.”

“We won’t let you down, Princess!” chorused the Elements of Harmony, all eager to stop the new evil they faced. They all kept up after this, and shot out of the garden, leaving the princesses alone once again.

Once the heroes of Equestria were out of earshot, Luna spoke, a since of doubt and urgency in her voice. “Celestia, are you sure that the elements will be enough to destroy this threat? This is a threat of the likes they have never faced before.”

“Sister, that is what you say every time. And every time they defeat them.”

“And every time the villains they face are more skilled and come closer to victory.”

“Luna, trust them, they will manage to defeat this. We have no reason to worry.”

“I will sister, I will trust them. But it won’t stop me from worrying.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Alright girls! To the train station!”

With that, the elements of Harmony began retracing their steps through Canterlot with urgency. Rather than winding through the beautiful scenery they took direct avenues, cutting an almost straight line to the train station down the station.
Arriving at the station, the train was preparing for departure. The rear three cars were now box cars, currently being loaded by several guardponies. In other areas of the platform more guardponies milled about and polished their gold armor. Spare spears were carefully laid into cases and placed into boxcars. Warm clothes were packed and roughly tossed into the storage cars.

A guard stallion with far more ornate armor approached Twilight, a clipboard in hoof. He speaks with a powerful, stern voice, seemingly treating Twilight as the superior officer in the group, “I am Captain Grapefruit You seven are the Elements of Harmony, plus.... this says their super extra important assistant?”

“Yep, that’s me!” exclaimed Spike, excited to be mentioned in a manifest with the Elements of Harmony. He hopped up a little at this, giving a mock salute. With a momentary, microscopic smile, the officer snaps a perfect salute back before returning to Twilight.

“And, just for official documents, confirmation on who each of you are? Name, what element you are, and current occupation.”

“I am Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic. I am Celestia's personal student and Ponyville librarian!”

“Ah’m Applejack, Element of Honesty. Ah run a farm with mah family.”

“I, darling, am Rarity, Element of Generosity. I run a magnificent boutique.”

“Oh- uh.... I am fluttershy, Element of Kindness. I run an animal care home.” Fluttershy trailed off and her speech devolved into squeaks.

“I’m Sorry ma’am, what was that?” Captain Grapefruit looked up from his clipboard, looking around, mildly confused.

My name is fluttershy. Element of Kindness, animal care home.” Fluttershy’s voice was once again little more than squeaks, but somehow the Captain understood. More or less.

“Ah, you must be Fluttershy.” After this acknowledgment Grapefruit jotted down notes on his clipboard. He continued to look down at it, waiting for the next introduction.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie! Element of Laughter, but you probably already knew that! I work for the Cakes at Sugar Cube Corner! You should come, that way I can throw a ‘First Time at Sugar Cube Corner’ party! It would be so much fun! We could pla-” Pinkie’s long, and sugar fueled explanation was cut off, by Captain Grapefruit impatiently clicking his pen and turning Rainbow Dash.

“Me? Well, I’m only Rainbow Dash fastest flier in Equestria! Element of Honest, member of the Wonderbolts, all that jazz!” Rainbow Dash's egotistical statements came to an end much faster than to be expected. With a sigh the captain finished noting something down on his clipboard, before looking up and addressing the group.

“Alright you seven, you’re going to be sharing the front car with myself and a few other guardponies. Once we reach the Crystal Empire we will depart as soon as possible to the west and get your elements where they need to be.” The stallion finished, and abruptly about faced and began directing the loading efforts of the remaining supplies.

Amongst one of the remaining things to be loaded was the ornately carved Elements of Harmony chest. Applejack and Rainbow insisted on loading it themselves, carefully stacking it up with boxes of food and weapons. With that finished they trailed to their assigned car, while two guardponies slid the door shut behind the orange and cyan mares.

With everything and everypony loaded the train boiler started to burn, heating its water. Following a minute of waiting, the train lurched forward, gently pulling its load out of the station and down the cliffside. It rapidly accelerated down the mountain side, soon going well over ten hooves per second.

As the train chugged towards the Crystal Empire, a farmer along its boarders was having a strange, and mildly terrifying encounter with this new enemy.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Gerald Spark was a simple pony, grew his beats and tended his firs. Completed his daily chores, was never rude to anypony, and prayed to the princesses as frequently as possible. So why is it that these shadowy demons were haunting the edges of his farm?

For the past week an increasing number of bipedal things have been watching him from the tree line during the day. At night if he were quick to look out the windows with a lantern by his side, he could see them darting behind fences and into his barn. If he tried to spot them without his lights, he could see them studying various common equipment, conversing in harsh, deep, and rapid language, that he could not make heads or tails of.

On day eight of the hauntings he finally left, brining an ax for protection. His not to hasty departure was covered by him taking a wagon of beets to town, hoping to make the monsters of the forest believe he wasn’t on to them.

He wasn’t able to spot any tracking him through the snowy fields and forest, but maybe they were hiding better than normal. Spark began to panic, his mind picking up more and more ways they could be tracking him, and was picking up speed to rival his heart rate.

Spark was soon running as hard as he could, every shadow being a looming figure reaching for his hooves. His adrenaline was rapidly being pumped into his bloodstream, lending him strength and speed. His hooves were dashing through the snow, with a one horse cart pulled behind him.

When he finally rounded the last bend into town, his muscles were screaming with exhaustion. But he kept sprinting, the adrenaline making his movements even wilder and faster. He darted past ponies going about their days, drawing concerned looks. He finally managed to calm and come to a stop, but his eyes were still wild and panicked.

A couple of Crystal Guards strode over, carefully keeping out of bucking reach. When Spark finally noticed them he began babbling about the shadows that haunted him constantly for the last week. As he babbled he began to calm down, prancing a lot less. The Crystal guard carefully approached them, like one would a wounded, wild animal.

Gerald Spark was just one of many who were giving similar panicked reports all over the western boarders of the Empire. His reports were filed and sent to join dozens of others waiting for the Elements of Harmony to look at.