• Published 28th Mar 2022
  • 556 Views, 23 Comments

Equestrian Rim - Visharo



Two tectonic plates created a breach flooding Equestria with Kaiju. Creatures of all nations got together and created monsters of their own; Jaegers.

  • ...
2
 23
 556

The Manehatten Shatterdome

Two weeks have passed since the Slatemaw incident. Applejack has recovered fully and Apple Bloom is doing well with her training. The pony who wasn't doing well was Coloratura. Pura said that she has recovered as much as her body and medicine will allow. Coloratura didn't seem to mind that she wouldn't be able to walk and always had a smile. Applejack however...

"APPLE BLOOM, BABS, YA'LL GOTTA BE FASTER! EVERY SECOND IS IMPORTANT!" AJ's face was flushed, her muzzle showed a nasty frown, and her brow was dripping with sweat. Everypony in the room backed off from the clearly angry orange mare. Even Pay Check looked scared.

Apple Bloom shared a concerned glance with the other Cutie Mark Crusaders before turning back to the training simulator and beginning the trail run again. Together with Babs Seed, they swung underneath the simulated Kaiju and slashed upwards with a crystal sword, before ending above it and crushing the Kaiju underneath their hoof. Instead of checking for a pulse, the duo raised their front hooves and brought it down again for a second time.

"Kaiju defeated." The simulator computer said, it's monotone voice betraying nothing.

"Humph, could be better. BREAK TIME CADETS!" Applejack stormed out of the room, heading straight towards the med-bay. Though after she left, did the Cadets move.

"Where are you going?" Scootaloo whispered after Apple Bloom, who had decided to follow her sister.

"Something's wrong with mah sister and ah'm gonna help!" Apple Bloom didn't even wait to see if her friends were going to follow and followed the path towards the med-bay. She stopped in front of the doors that led in and wondered if this was a bad idea or not.

"...ah'm worried Rarara, about the fillies working with Jaegers and fighting Kaiju and..." Applejack's voice floated to Apple Bloom's ears, who twitched in response. The young mare pushed herself against the door to listen better.

"AJ, you can't protect them all. Praise Luna, you were in the same conn-pod and you couldn't protect me. Just train them as the best then can be and hope for the best, that's the best anycreature can really do. My injury won't change me for who I am, I'm still that Rara you know and love. So quit worrying and get those fillies in shape!" Coloratura's voice was filled with enthusiasm and hope. Apple Bloom could hear her sister take a breath, then all became silent.

"Apple Bloom! Get back here, we might miss lunch!" Sweetie Belle surprised Apple Bloom, finding her friend right next to her with an urgent look on her face. The yellow mare nodded and followed the unicorn to the lunch room where Scootaloo and Babs were waiting, food already on their plates.

***

"Alright Cadets, myself and Ranger Applejack will be taking you to the Manehatten Shatterdome. We will be met by Rangers Thorax and Pharynx. We will be learning about tag teaming and how other creatures use Jaegers. After Manehatten, we'll head on to the Griffish Isles and then we'll end our tour in Yakyakistan. What I want from you, is complete obedience!" Ranger Pay Check glared at the gathered Cadets who stood with their backs straight, hooves together, and tails completely still. Every eye facing forwards and muzzles wearing a single expression. Then Wind Sprint sneezed.

The eight Cadets and two Rangers, one of whom was reluctant on leaving, got on the train headed for Manehatten. The young mares smile excitedly and talk about who they might meet and what Jaegers they might see. They went on like that for half of the train ride before Pay-Check got mad and shushed us.

It was three hours past lunch when they arrived. The Shatterdome was larger than the one in Van Hoover; we stood there for at least a minute, just soaking in how large it was. The tallest skyscraper just barely made it past the height of the tip of the dome. The large doors opened and we went inside, mouths agape.

"IT'S BRAWLING CAROL!!!" The Cutie Mark Crusader's squees drowned out whatever Pay Check was going to say. Said Jaeger was a surprisingly large green and black Jaeger, similar to how Changelings looked pre-reformed. It was larger than the Jaegers in the Van Hoover Shatterdome, by at least another ten meters. Despite it being a Changeling Jaeger and it's colors, it looked nothing like a Changeling; in fact it looked more like an Alicorn. The painted metal glimmered in the sunlight that shone through the open door. The hooves were massive, easily larger, and wider, than a skyscraper. Carol looked like it had retractable wings and a unicorn horn.

According to the information Apple Bloom received from her various sources, the retractable ligaments were there because Changelings can shapeshift and if needed, they can shapeshift to help them in the fight and the Jaeger needs to accommodate for that. She told the group this fact and Applejack confirmed it. The other Cadet's eyes sparkled with awe as they gazed at the behemoth that stood a few steps away; however, Peach Fuzz wasn't at all impressed and rolled her eyes at her fellow student's reactions.

The group came to a stop next to two Changelings. Ranger Thorax, a bright green one with large orange antlers; his wings, tail, and eyes were a nice shade of purple. Ranger Pharynx, a dark bluish one with reddish antlers that match his wings. Both stood proudly as they looked down at the Cadets, who looked back in awe.

"So, has Ranger Pay Check told you what you're going to learn about?" Thorax asked, his wings shifting on his back. He faced the Cadets after greeting Applejack, nostalgia visible in his eyes after seeing her after many years.

"Something about other creatures and their Jaegers," Mellow said, her gaze still on Pharynx, who chuckled awkwardly when he noticed.

"And tag teaming!" Scootaloo jumped up, a big grin plastered over her face.

"Yes, we'll go over those in the week that you'll be here. Now if you'll follow me, I'll be showing you where you'll be sleeping." Pharynx smiled slightly and gestured for them to follow him as he trotted off.

The Manehatten Shatterdome beheld too many wonders for their young minds to compute, and it short-circuited the capacity for speech. Every Cadet, even Peach Fuzz, looked around in awe at the legendary Jaegers. Beside Brawling Carol, stood Celestial Advice. Considerably smaller than the former, but still magnificent. Despite it being a Mark II, it wasn't that bulky. Enchanted metal and wire lined the entire Jaeger, allowing flexibility but sacrificing strength and durability. There was megaspell reactor imbedded in it's chest similar to Minty Revenge.

On the other side of the Shatterdome stood a beast of a Jaeger; Broken Table. Easily the bulkiest Jaeger in the entire Jaeger Corps, weighing over 5000 tons. The thing was built for tanking hits and smashing down everything and anything. There's not much to describe. Apple Bloom tilted her head at how similar the Jaeger looks to a yak. Despite the metal, it could pass as a ginormous yak.

A griffon Jaeger that didn't look familiar stood next to Broken Table. It looked really sleek and shiny. Apple Bloom could even see magic steel shimmering around it. Magical metal wings were folded beside its black body, it's talons and beak gleaming with deadly intent. A visor-like window displayed the conn-pod, and a long barbed tail finished the terrifying look. Ranger Pharynx said that's the first Mark V; Enlightened Protector, and it's not completely finished.

***

"Apple Bloom!" Psst, Apple Bloom!" A voice drifted into Apple Bloom's consciousness, slowly waking her up. She blinked her eyes open and almost screamed at seeing a brownish-orange muzzle in front of her, but Babs' hoof prevented that.

"What the hay are ya doing awake!" Apple Bloom whispered loudly, her eyes flashing with alarm.

"We're going to explore!" Scootaloo's excited voice surprised the orange earth pony.

"Yer here too?"

"And me!" Sweetie Belle popped up next to Scootaloo, her green eyes bright.

"We can be the Cutie Mark Sneakers!" The orange pegasus whispered loudly.

"Are ya a chicken, Bloom? We're only walkin' about, maybe even see get inside a Jaeger." Babs nodded, seemingly proud of what they were going to do. Apple Bloom only sighed and got up and put on a Cadet jumper.

The four sneaked out of the Cadet dorms. Pharynx showed them earlier, and headed off to Jaeger Bay. Babs took the lead after blowing her mane out her eyes. A couple times they had to hide because of ponies talking or walking in the hallways. They took alternate routes to prevent running into a yak Ranger who looked very stern. They neared a lab, as a sign said so, and Babs stopped when she heard voices.

"...estria is doomed! Marshall, you gotta listen to me, to us! You've seen the math, the Kaiju are just going to come and come until there's nothing left!" An unknown voice shouted earnestly through the open door, effectively freezing the CMC from going any further.

"Babs?" Sweetie Belle's voice was shaking; fear showed in her eyes.

"Hush, ah wanna hear this." Babs gestured for the others to press against the wall, making them virtually invisible to any passerby.

"Dr. Lineage, we have no evidence of this, and if more Kaiju are going to pour out of the tectonic fissure, the Jaegers will push them back, as we always have." A deeper, richer voice replied.

"But this is proof!" A higher voice, different to Dr. Lineage, and the Marshall, answered back quite angrily.

"I need more then numbers Dr. Newt. If you two can find me hard evidence, then we'll do something about, but for now, we'll do as we have been doing for years," and with that, the Marshall trotted out, his hoofsteps heavy on the metal flooring. A black unicorn with a velvet mane passed the young mares hiding in a corner without even batting a glance, and continued on his way, steel in his gaze.

"What are we going to do Lineage!" Dr. Newt's voice was close to hysterical.

"I don't know Newt, I don't know." Both voices drifted away.

Babs waited just a bit longer before risking a glance inside. Sighing with relief, she continued to the Jaeger bay, caution displayed in her every move.

***

The four crawled along a cat walk that headed towards Celestial Advice's conn-pod. They were almost halfway when alarms started sounding throughout the Shatterdome. Apple Bloom's eyes widened as did the others. Kaiju attack.

"Warning! Kaiju, category IV. Rangers Goldenrod and Silver Platter, you are needed on deck. Warning! Kaiju..."

"Buck me!" Babs did the only sane option that was presented to them at the moment, run straight towards the conn-pod. Not knowing what else to do, the other three followed.

"Babs! We should leave!" Sweetie Belle sounded terrified as the four squished in a corner, out of the view of the pilot's eyesight if they were to step in.

"But we can't! This is Goldenrod's and Silver's Jaeger! We're screwed if we go back out!" Babs looked terrified, the first time that Apple Bloom had seen her like this.

"S-so, does that mean...we're going to be in a Jaeger fight?" Scootaloo's voice shook as realization dawned on all four.

"Oh buck..." The mares huddled closer together, trying to blink away the tears that started forming.

"Warning! Kaiju, category IV. Rangers Pharynx and Thorax, you are needed on deck. Warning! Kaiju..."

Apple Bloom's eyes widened even more... it's a tag team against a category IV...WAIT, A CATEGORY IV. She started hyperventilating. Scootaloo placed a wing on her shoulder, smiling reassuringly, hiding whatever must have been happening underneath.

"We'll be fine, these ponies are top notch pilots. After the fight, we'll just sneak away while they are cheering their names!" Scootaloo nodded, proud of her plan. After the words sunk in, the others started nodding, relieved smiles plastered over their faces.

Then the door opened up and two earth ponies stepped in with grim expressions.

Author's Note:

HAPPY EASTER!!!