• Published 1st Mar 2022
  • 1,387 Views, 28 Comments

A Lesson in Kindness - bkc56



Fluttershy had seen a lot of strange things in the Everfree Forest, but never something like this.

  • ...
3
 28
 1,387

Chapter 2

At his call for help, I spun around to see Peter stepping sideways through the door. He had something big on his back partially supported by his outstretched good wing. He struggled under the weight. It looked like a large bird. “I think it’s hurt… bad.” Peter’s brow was furrowed with worry.

I rushed to the table and spread out a thick towel. “Put it here.” He scooted up next to the table and together we gently slid his bundle off. The bird lifted its head and looked at me. I could see the pain in its eyes.

Peter folded his wing and turned to face the table. “I think it’s an eagle.”

I reached out to smooth some ruffled feathers and calm it. “It’s a raptor, but…” I studied its color and markings. “He’s a Red-Tailed Hawk. There are a number of them who live along the edge of the forest. It looks like his wing is hurt. What happened?”

Peter set his chin on the table and locked eyes with the hawk. “I was walking around and I saw something move over by the trees. I got closer and realized it was a bird laying on its side with one wing sticking up. It was like he was waving for help. I did just like you and walked slowly to him while I talked. I said I knew someone who could help, and he let me pick him up.”

I reached out and tousled his mane a little. “That’s amazing. Most raptors don’t like to be handled. You did very well.” Peter lifted his head to smile, then set it down again. “You keep talking to him while I check his wing.”

“Oh, just like you did with me?” I nodded. “Okay, Mr Hawk. Miss Fluttershy is going to help you now. She helped me earlier. She’s very gentle…”

While Peter continued to calmly talk to the hawk, I carefully checked his wing. The feathers were askew and there were gaps where a couple primaries were missing. The hawk tensed as I inspected the wing, but his eyes never left Peter. Fortunately, just like Peter, nothing appeared to be broken. I let out a relieved sigh. “I think he’s okay, nothing seems broken.”

Peter gently stroked the hawk's head. “Did you hear that? You’re going to be fine.” He glanced up at me. “Now what?”

“Now we wrap up that wing.” I gave him a single nod.

“Just like me.” He looked back at his wing secured in the sling.

“Just like you. Except, I don’t have a sling this small, so instead we’ll wrap it against his body.” I stepped back. “Will you help?” Peter nodded excitedly. I went to a cupboard and took out a roll of wide tan tape. “This is special tape that won’t stick to fur or feathers.” I returned to the table. “I use it when I need to keep a wing or leg from moving while it heals.” I set the tape on the table.

Peter pulled the tape closer and felt the texture of it. “What if his wing was broken?”

I gently pet the hawk trying to make it more comfortable with being touched. It gave a little squawk but didn’t move or take its eyes off Peter. “If a critter is hurt really badly, then I take it into Ponyville to see Doctor Fauna. She’s our local veterinarian.”

His eyes shifted to me for a moment, and back to the hawk. “What’s a vet… vetra… what’s that?”

I smiled. “It’s a doctor that deals with all sorts of critters, not just ponies. Doctor Fauna can treat anything from as small as a sick pet fish, up to as large as a pig or a cow on a local farm. So, you ready to get started here?” He nodded. “Good. First, gently roll the hawk onto his belly.”

“We’re going to help you now, Mr Hawk. Don’t be scared.” Peter used both hooves to roll the hawk upright and then looked up at me questioningly.

“That’s perfect.” I took the roll of tape. “Now lift him up onto his feet and let’s see if he can stand.” Peter carefully lifted him and the hawk put down his legs to stand on its own. “Looks like he can stand just fine. Peter, put one hoof on its chest to hold him steady, and with the other hoof hold his good wing just a bit away from his body.”

Without taking his eyes off the bird he asked, “How’s that?”

“Just right. Now just hold steady.” I worked fast, wrapping the tape around the hurt wing and body, but under the good wing, and in front of his legs. After several loops, I ripped off the tape and secured the end. “Done. Let him go.” Peter dropped his hooves. The hawk craned his head back to look at the bandaged wing, then returned his gaze to Peter.

Peter smiled at him. “See, it’s all bandaged up. You’re just like me.” Peter turned to show the hawk his wing secured in the sling. “We’ll both be better soon…” He glanced at me, “Right?”

“I’m sure of it.” I set down the roll of tape and double-checked the wrap. “Okay, Peter, I need you to prepare a nest for him. Around the side of the cottage are some shallow wooden boxes. Pick one that’s big enough for Mr Hawk to lie down in. Fill it with straw from the pile there. Just like a nest, higher on the edges. Can you do that?”

“Yes, yes,” he exclaimed nodding, “I can do that.” He shot out of the cottage, his good wing extending for balance as he made a sharp turn and went out of sight.

I addressed Mr Hawk. “Let’s make sure that bandage isn’t too tight and that you can walk.” I lifted him off the table and set him on the floor. “You’ll be staying outside.” I headed for the door and he kept pace beside me. Looks like you’re walking fine. As I scanned the room I realized all the other critters were hiding under or behind furniture and such. Scores of frightened eyes peered out. A quick check of the patient saw him eyeing the animals.

I spun around and gave him a stern look. “Listen here Mr Hawk.” I softly stomped a hoof. “Most of these critters are guests, just like you. They are friends, not food. You will not hurt them. Do you understand me?” I gave him a serious glare. His head dipped once, and then he nodded. I smiled at him. “Good, I’m glad we got that clear.” We continued towards the door and I noted he no longer looked around as he walked. And I didn’t even need to use ‘the look’.

Once outside I saw Peter struggling with a large wooden box on his back. As he weaved back and forth keeping it balanced he called out, “Got it done. Where does it go?”

I pointed to a bench covered by an awning. “He’ll stay on that bench over there. He’ll be off the ground and covered from any weather. Set the box on the ground next to it for now.”

Peter sat down next to the box patting the straw inside. “In here Mr Hawk…” The bird hopped in, turned around a couple times carefully studying his accommodations, then laid down. Peter and I lifted the box and placed it on the bench.

“Now Peter, Mr Hawk needs his rest, so you need to leave him alone.” I turned towards the cottage. “And you should come inside and rest too.”

“Can I stay out here a little longer? Just a few more minutes. Please?” I was assaulted by what were probably practiced puppy-dog eyes.

I signed. “Alright, but just for a little bit longer.” He broke into a big grin and trotted off. I went inside. “Now where was I? Oh, that’s right. Twilight. A letter.”

I returned to my desk and took up my quill. "Dear Twilight," I started to write when my ears flicked towards a noise outside. "Okay, what now?" I went to the door to look out. A short distance away I saw Harry and Peter sitting on the ground facing each other. They were both chattering away. Paws or hooves would wave in the air to emphasize some particular point. I don’t believe either could understand the other, but that didn’t dampen the enthusiasm of their conversation. Still, I wonder… I took a couple steps out to try and hear but decided against eavesdropping on them. I turned and headed back towards the desk.

I almost made it.

My goal was interrupted by a loud roar from outside, then another. With a hoof on my forehead, I sighed, "Five minutes. Just five minutes." I sighed again and turned around.

My heart skipped a beat as I looked out. Peter was making an escape around Harry's side as a huge paw crashed down just missing him. I tried to yell "Peter, run!" but the words caught in my throat. My heart pounded in my chest. Peter looped around to Harry’s other side. What are you doing, Peter? You need to get away! Harry twisted around swiping with a huge paw. Peter ducked as the claws raked less than a hoof width above him. Peter skidded to a stop in front of the towering bear. With a laugh, he threw his front legs out, tail high, just like AJ’s dog Winona, or any other dog at play. He danced back and forth as Harry grabbed at him. A huge paw lifted up ready to squash Peter like a bug. He bolted and Harry hit nothing but a bit of a trailing tail. They’re… playing? I took a couple deep breaths trying to calm myself.

Laughing so hard he could hardly gallop straight, Peter went a ways past Harry, spun around, and with narrowed eyes and gritted teeth, charged. Seeing his approach, Harry swung around with his paw close to the ground. Peter effortlessly jumped over it with a laugh. At the apex of his arc, his good wing snapped out to take flight. The sling on the other side bounced but held the injured wing firm. Peter yelped and crashed to the ground landing on his side and sliding in the dirt. Harry dropped to all fours, gently probing Peter with the tip of his nose.

Peter saw me galloping towards him and through tear-filled eyes, he exclaimed, “It’s not his fault! Harry didn’t hurt me! I just forgot my wing and tried to fly. He didn’t do anything.” He extended a leg protectively by Harry’s head.

I squatted down and wiped away the tears from his cheeks. “I know, Peter. I saw the whole thing. Harry was being very careful.” As I gently stroked his mane, I could see his body relax. I wondered about this little colt who was more concerned about his brand new friend than his own pain.

I glanced over at the worried bear. “It’s okay, Harry. You didn’t hurt him.” I hoped he wasn’t feeling guilty. He really didn’t do anything. Harry repeatedly looked between me and Peter.

I turned back to Peter. “I think that’s enough play for now. You’re really tired, so let’s go inside and have you take a little nap. Does that sound okay?” He nodded. The mere mention of a nap made his eyelids heavy and he yawned. “Do you need any help getting up?”

He stood up. “No, I think I’m okay.”

I gave Harry one last reassuring pat on the head, and then Peter and I walked inside. I probably shouldn’t have let him go outside. I didn’t think he and Harry would start roughhousing of all things. “Here, hop up on my bed. You can sleep here. And I’ll sit with you until you nod off.”

He looked up at me as I pulled up a blanket, “Thank you.” He smiled softly and snuggled into the pillow.

“You’re very welcome. Now you just close your eyes…” But it was too late. He was already asleep. Up all night scared and alone; he’d sleep for hours. I glanced up to see Harry watching through the window. With a smile, I nodded at him.

I stood up and headed back to the desk. I couldn’t possibly be upset with Peter, but with the source of the interruptions asleep, perhaps, finally, I could see about getting word to his parents. With no emergencies to interfere, I had the note done in mere moments. I rolled it up tight and tied it with a little piece of string. As I headed outside, I paused.

“Angel,” He looked up at me from his position still hiding under the bed. “Could you please sit with Peter? I’ll be outside for a while. If he wakes up, or anything happens, come get me?” He nodded once, jumped up on the bed, and sat down on the pillow next to Peter’s head. “Thank you.”

Once outside I called out, “I need a fast bird to carry a message. Can someone help me, please?” A blue jay I’d seen around shot towards me and landed on a fence post. “Hi.” I smiled at him. “Do you know where Twilight’s Castle is in Ponyville?” He nodded. “Great. Do you know who Twilight is?” He nodded again. I held out the note in my upturned hoof. “Can you fly super fast and give this to her, or perhaps her little dragon assistant if she’s not there?” He looked at the note, grabbed it in his beak, and streaked away before I could even say thanks. Two other jays joined him just above and behind. He has an escort. They’ll get it done.