• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 1,167 Views, 24 Comments

Trixie's Greatest Trick - theworstwriter



The mechannics of a magic trick are much less important than the context it's done in.

  • ...
4
 24
 1,167

31 - Celestial Resynchronization

I looked back and forth between the sun and moon. We could do this. It was going to be way too close for comfort, but it was possible.

I turned back to the magical orb and gave it the mightiest stomp I could muster, breathing a sigh of relief as it shattered into countless pieces. I turned toward Trixie and nodded. Her horn flared, Luna began to stir, and I looked back up at the celestial trainwreck that was about to unfold. The moon moved forward. The sun moved back.

My face fell. It wasn’t possible. There was no way she would be conscious in time, there was no way Trixie could do it alone, and it was all my fault. I opened my mouth to say something - I don’t remember what - and Trixie just shook her head. A few tears escaped those gorgeous magenta eyes of hers before the magical glow atop her head shifted and brightened, reaching down toward Luna. Contact was made, and an unimaginably enormous wave of power surged from the Princess to Trixie and then to the moon. I was knocked on my flank, and for a moment it seemed like we were going to be okay. The moon slowly lurched to a stop... and the sun kept going. Of course stopping the sun and moon was impossible for a mortal, no matter how great and powerful. It was foolish to think otherwise.

I hung my head. Trixie fought back her liquid sorrow, trying to maintain an air of dignity in what would be her final moments. She knew we’d failed, and she knew that wasn’t acceptable. But she also knew there was a way out. So she grunted and strained and pulled with all the strength she could dig out of the Princess and one hundred and ten percent of the power she could find inside herself. She pulled as if the lives of every pony in Equestria depended on her being able to make the moon move just a little bit backward. They basically did, although it’s entirely possible there would have been a few survivors.

The sun blazed on, unflinching and uncaring. For a few seconds, I still didn’t think it would be enough. Luna’s eyes fluttered open, but there was no time to explain anything. There wasn’t even time to wait for Luna to be awake enough to have things explained to her.

So Trixie pulled harder.

I know she and I both like to embellish, but believe me when I tell you her horn was glowing as bright as the sun that was about to end us all. Her cape billowed heroically in the... I guess the winds of magic? It was definitely billowing, I’m just not quite sure why. She was set in a low and fierce pose, her cape was flapping about, her horn was shining, the sun and moon looked like they were just inches apart, and a groggy Luna was flopped uselessly on the ground. It was a pretty intense scene. I wish I could have painted a picture of it.

The moon moved.

With impeccable eyesight and unwavering focus, it was possible to see it trace out its normal arc in reverse - albeit at the most agonizingly slow pace imaginable.

The sun marched on as the last few seconds ticked away.

It got closer.
And closer.
And closer.

I imagined a faint sizzling sound as the surface of the moon cooked in the heat of the sun. The scorchmarks would never go away. The sun drew closer...

And the spell wore off. It would’ve been impossible to tell if it had, but I like to think time stood still for a moment there as the universe shifted gears. The sun moved back the way it came, forward toward tomorrow.

Luna stood, Trixie collapsed, and the glow faded. The moon was let go and it resumed moving steadily at a pace that matched the sun’s exactly. Luna’s gaze flitted about, her eyes widening five-fold when they landed on the sun/moon pair drifting across the sky.

She gawked for a minute or two before shaking herself out of her stupor and lighting up her horn. She pushed the moon back at a rate that easily outclassed Trixie’s attempt by a dozen orders of magnitude and before long, the sun and moon were at the proper distance again.

She turned to face me with a heavy frown pulling down on her muzzle; her eyebrows weren’t very friendly either. “Explain.”