• Published 16th Mar 2022
  • 936 Views, 27 Comments

In Darkness - applejackofalltrades



In the aftermath of a warzone injury, Spitfire learns that there's more to life than meets the eye.

  • ...
5
 27
 936

Zero

There was no time to react, nor to plan or even think.

Spitfire ducked behind a wall as the loud bangs of explosives set off around her. The smell of smoke and blood entered her lungs, a putrid scent that mixed together horribly. She glanced around, making sure her small, special team was still with her.

The ground shook, making her laboured breathing even harder to control as the disorienting booms and bangs kept her from forming any rational thought. Somehow, the Crystal Soldiers had cornered them, and even for a group of elite flyers, there was no escape. Anti-air unicorns had been enlisted—or rather, mind-controlled—into the opposing side, and the warzone was a mess full of small explosions, lasers and screams.

Spitfire cursed under her breath and motioned for her squad to stay down. Two helmeted pegasi nodded in return. The metallic wing on one of their sides reflected a particular green light. If their cover was to be blown, then it was as good as over. Quickly, Spitfire threw herself on top of Rainbow Dash, concealing the glint from her prosthetic wing. She didn’t even have the courage to tell her to keep still. Rainbow Dash knew, though. She didn’t even let out a peep as Spitfire pressed her into the loose rocky ground.

But as a sharp whistling noise filled the air, almost louder than the magical booms that shook the very ground, Spitfire knew it was too late. In a panic, she watched as a little glowing cylindrical object landed next to them, and the only thing she could think to do in that split second was to shut her eyes and make sure to cover as much of Rainbow Dash as she could.

The world flashed white and exploded in a fury of sound. Disoriented, Spitfire covered her head with her hooves as Rainbow Dash crawled out from beneath her. Everything slowly faded back into view as Spitfire glanced around. Her head spun as she caught sight of nothing more than a mess of colours and her ears rang loudly from the blast. Her heart pounded faster, and she could barely make out the voice yelling her name. Was that even her name? It sure sounded like it.

By the time she could even backtrack her thoughts to relay what had just happened, Spitfire felt a sharp shooting pain through her shoulder and then a grazing one on the side of her body. It was at that moment that she was certain she was still alive. Though how, she wasn’t exactly sure.

Warm blood oozed out of her wounds as she blindly stumbled, pushed along by Rainbow Dash and flanked by Soarin. The ringing had faded, but everything still sounded muffled. Spitfire shut her eyes, feeling the awfully familiar sense of destructive magic pulsing behind them, and limped with Rainbow Dash who guided her to more solid ground.

Another dull, sharp bang. At her side, Soarin screamed and fell behind. Spitfire faltered at the sudden loss of one of her crutches but Rainbow Dash hissed in her ear, “Just keep moving.”

Another bang filled the air, and Rainbow Dash held Spitfire back. “Sniper!”

The unmistakable crackling of those fine magic beams assaulted Spitfire’s ears as the ground in front of her felt hot to the touch. A metallic ting and the bright light of sparks were all Spitfire could even make out before Rainbow Dash pushed her away in a faint blur of colours. Her helmet must have fallen off. “Run straight ahead! There’s a trench with more of—”

Something warm sprayed Spitfire’s body. She didn’t have to see the red to know what it was.

Her front leg ached as she trotted on it, not caring about the wound on her shoulder. Quickly enough, the pulsing, magical pain in her head hindered her unable to move. Whatever had seeped into her brain came with a vengeance.

Spitfire flapped her wings uselessly, trying to at least propel herself forward despite the begging plea from her infected mind urging her not to. Another beam fired and instantly, a sharp, hard bang to her helmet crumpled her legs beneath her as she fell over with the blow.

Then, darkness.