• Published 8th Feb 2022
  • 742 Views, 17 Comments

My Little Pony: love is magic - Star Hope



The friendship between Fluttershy and Discord has grown into something more, but neither of them had realised that until the arrival of a new pony to Ponyville changes everything

  • ...
2
 17
 742

1 Some things never change

Several moons had passed since the Main 6 defeated the Knights of Harmony and Equestria had experienced one of its longest periods of peace with only a few minor threats. Many things had changed, but some things never change...

"Hey, wait for me!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she swiftly flew towards a picnic blanket where Fluttershy and Rarity were sitting with Applejack also on her way there.

Now that Twilight lived in Canterlot and with the various responsibilities they all had, there were less opportunities to spend time together. Obviously, they kept meeting each other often, specially Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rarity as they all lived in Ponyville, and there were times when they would hang out to do things such as playing softball (some of them more than others) or going to the spa, but it was difficult to balance their schedules to do something the six of them, and Spike of course. That's why they decided to have a picnic once a month that they would all attend to chat and catch up.

No matter how busy they were, they always managed a day to clear a day in their schedules for such occasion and, until now, none of them had ever missed it. On one occasion, Twilight was unable to leave the castle do to her princess duties, so the rest of them decided to bring the picnic to Canterlot. What mattered was that they spend that day together and this time wouldn't be exception.

When she saw Applejack, Rainbow started to fly faster in order to get to the blanket before her, Applejack noticed this and sped up as well, when Rainbow saw her accelerating, she flew even faster and so on until they both reached their mazimun speed. And just when Applejack was about to sit down, Rainbow landed next to her braking with her front hooves and sitting at the same time as her competitor.

"I won!" she exclaimed.

"Not everythin' has to be a competition, Rainbow," the cowgirl said.

"You are the one who started running," Rainbow replied.

"Only because you sped up first," she paused. "However, I got here first."

"In your dreams!"

"Enough you two," Rarity interrupted. "you and your childish competitions," she sighted. "some things never change."

"Indeed," Rainbow said glancing at the unicorn's overly elegant outfit.

"For your information, Rainbow, I just came from a fashion event in Manehattan and didn't have the chance to change outfit as I didn't want to keep you waiting, if I had known that I'd be the first one to arrive, I would had stopped by the boutique in order to change myself into a more casual clothing."

"I'm sorry for being late, Rarity, I've had to settle a dispute between a beaver and a woodpecker," Fluttershy apologized.

"I was delayed by a last minute problem in the farm," Applejack said.

"And the Wonderbolts' training has lasted longer than I thought," Rainbow Dash added.

"Oh, it's okay darlings, I guess we've all been a bit busy lately."

"That's true, but nothing in Equestria would stop me from coming to our reunion," said Rainbow while raising a hoof.

"Same here sugarcube, although there are still two of us to come to call it a reunion."

As soon as she said that, there was a confetti explosion and Pinkie Pie appeared carrying a box full of cupcakes exclaiming, "Hello everypony! Here comes Pinkie!"

She sat next to Applejack and left the box on the blanket.

"Sorry I'm late, who would have though that these Friendship Picnic Day cupcakes would take so much time to bake?" she said as she opened the box showing 7 cupcakes each of them with the colors of their manes and their cutie marks on them (in Spikes case, his silhouette).

"Well, I guess Twilight and Spike are the only ones left to come," Applejack noticed.

"Do you think something may have happened that kept them from coming like the last time?" Fluttershy asked.

"I hope not, these cupcakes aren't suitable for take out," Pinkie Pie said.

"Then how'd you-?" Rainbow started asking, but was interrupted when Twilight teleported in front of her with Spike.

"There was a problem with the city pipes and everything almost was flooded," she said. "I hope we didn't keep you waiting for too long."

"Actually, we've all been a little late," Applejack said.

"Not me" Rarity pointed out.

"I'm so happy to see you"

They all hugged and everypony took the cupcake with their mane color and they started catching up.

"How's life in Canterlot, Twilight?" Rarity asked.

"Everything's going fine, there usually aren't many setbacks. Except for today. Fortunately I have the help of my number one assistant," Twilight said pointing at Spike and he waved his claw. "Although I still don't get used to all the ponies treating me so formally"

"It makes sense, you are the ruler of Equestria after all," Rainbow said.

"Even so, it's good to spend time with a group of ponies without having to hear the words 'your highness' all the time," they all laughed at her comment. "What about you? Anything new?"

"Oh, oh!" said Pinkie who had something she was dying to tell to her friends, but Rarity was faster to speak.

"I just finished my clothing line for yaks and I will soon be opening my boutique in Yakyakistan."

"You're wonderful," said Spike with a dreamy look. "I-I mean... it IS wonderful that you've achieved all that in such a short time," he rectified with a slight blush.

"Why thank you Spikey Wikey. I've also begun a new collection of clothes for changelings, although I still have to solve a tiny problem there is with the transformations," she remembered an incident when Ocellus, who was modeling for the collection, turned herself into a bug-bear ripping the dress she was wearing.

"Yeah, that was funny," Pinkie said and they all gave her a strange look. "but listen what I have to-"

Applejack didn't hear her and started talking. "That's great Rarity. We've also been busy in Sweet Apple Acres, as ya'll know, it recently was the Zap apple season and it's been one of the biggest harvest we've had in years."

"Cool, what I wanted to say is-"

This time, Pinkie was interrupted by Twilight. "And, how's the animal sanctuary going Fluttershy? The last time I was there, there were quite a few animals. Isn't it too much work?"

"Oh, not at all, I have more time to take care of them since I'm not a teacher anymore and I also have Tree Hugger's help now, as well as Dr. Fauna's."

"That's great, but I also have a superdupergreat new that I want to-" Pinkie tried to continue but was interrupted once more, this time, by Rainbow Dash.

"That's all well and good girls, but surely doesn't sound as cool as being the Wonderbolts' new sub-captain!" she announced as she took of into the air to emphasize.

"Hey!" Pinkie pouted.

"I'm so happy for you Rainbow, why didn't you tell me the other day when you helped me with that flock of runaway parrots?" Fluttershy asked.

"I didn't know then, they just told me, that's why I was late," Rainbow explained.

"Girls," Pinkie tried in vain to call their attention.

"I'm so happy for you sugarcube," Applejack said.

"Girls!" Pinkie repeated, she was starting to get impatient, didn't they understand that she would explode if she didn't tell somepony soon?

"It's so good to hear that, we know how much it means to you," Twilight said.

"Yes, it's wonderful" Fluttershy added.

"You certainly deserve it darling"

"I'm sure they'll soon make you captain," Spike assured.

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure, Spitfire is a great captain," Rainbow said.

Pinkie was about to blow up, her face was turning red and there was smoke coming out of her ears with the sound of a boiling kettle.

"GIRLS!" this time she finally caught everypony's attention. "Will you listen to me?"

They all apologized for not having heard her before.

"What I've been trying to tell you is that I have the most wondertastic news in the history of good news."

"So? What is it? What could posibly be better than being sub-captain of the Wonderbolts?" Rainbow asked curiously.

"Weeeeell, it happens to be that..." she started.

"Yes?" they all asked approaching the pink earth pony.

"Cheese and I..."

"You're getting married?," Spike asked.

"Yes!... wait, what? No, it's... still a bit too soon for that," she blushed. "What I'm trying to say is that Cheese Sandwich and I are going to open a party shop together!" she exclaimed as she fired her party cannon. "and we will also sell all of the gags from Cheese's factory."

"Sounds great," Applejack said.

"Being owned by the two best party ponies in all of Equestria it will totally be 20% cooler," Rainbow added.

"What about your job at the Sugarcube Corner?" Fluttershy asked.

"I've already talked with Mr. and Mrs. Cake and they're okay with it, now that they have Sugar Belle's help, they won't need me anymore, but there's still so much to do before we can open the shop: drawing the plans of the building and build it, decorate it, fill it with all of the gags and party items... oh! and finding a name, our shop needs to have a name. And in the meantime, I'll continue working at the Sugarcube Corner."

"I'm glad you're all doing so well."

"It's surprisin' how much one can do when you don't have to go save Equestria all the time." Applejack said.

"True, everything has been extremely calm lately," Twilight admitted.

"Extremely boring you mean," Rainbow said. "don't get me wrong, being a Wonderbolt is great and all, but I still miss going on adventure and kicking the bad guys butts like in the good old days."

"You and I have different concepts of what 'good old days' are," Rarity said and Rainbow shrugged.

"I understand what you mean, Rainbow, I sometimes miss our adventures too," Applejack admitted. "Explorin' faraway places..."

"Meeting other creatures..." Spike said.

"Learning about their cultures..." Twilight followed.

"Their clothes..." Rarity continued.

"Their food..." Pinkie said.

"And meeting all those cute little animals" Fluttershy added.

"See? I new you missed it as well," Rainbow said triumphantly.

"But what I miss the most is living in Ponyville and being able to spend more time with you guys."

"We too, darling, but even though you don't live in Ponyville anymore, we still see each other often."

"Like today, for example," Applejack said.

"And tomorrow at Maud and Mudbriar's wedding," Fluttershy added. "You can come, right?"

"Of course."

"That's a relief," Pinkie said. "because you're the one supposed to marry them and who would marry them if you didn't come?"

"That reminds me that I still have to give the finishing touches to my outfit," Rarity said.

"Maud loves the dress you made for her," Pinkie told her.

"I'm glad to hear that," she answered forcing a smile, certainly that wasn't the dress she felt most proud of.

When Maud had been to her boutique to pick out a dress, Rarity had prepared several dresses she thought she would like.

"This one is my personal favorite, it has some blue gems that combine with your eyes. So?" she pointed at the mannequins. "Which do you prefer?"

"I like this one," Maud answered with her usual monotonous voice pointing to a dress that was none of the ones Rarity was showing her.

It was a broken white, long-sleeved, low-rise dress wich was on a table with cutouts and other unfinished dresses.

"This one?" Rarity asked unconvinced by her choise. "I hem... well, it's one of the previous designs I discarded for the collection... I mean, if you like it... I... suppose I could add a little more volume to the skirt, put some gems on it..."

"It's fine as it is."

"I... you... eh, it's fine as it..." Rarity stuttered for a moment before regaining her composure. "Err... of course, it is your dress after all, but... are you sure you don't want me to add anything to it? Like some embroidery or lace... or something!

"There is something."

"What?" Rarity asked anxiously.

"A pocked for Bolder," Maud answered.

"A pocket... a pocket for..." Rarity mumbled while trying to calm down, then she forced a smile and said, "Of course darling! I'll add a pocket... for Bolder."

She personally thought that dress was an insult to fashion, but if Maud liked it... at least the bridesmaids' dresses were more pretty.

"I'm superexcited!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"To think that you didn't like Mudbriar at first," Twilight said.

"I didn't, but then I realized how happy he makes my sister and that makes me happy and he's not so bad when you get to know him."

"It must be nice having somepony to share everything with," Fluttershy said.

"It is," Pinkie confirmed. "I'm sure one day you'll find somepony who complements you just like Cheese complements me, like... like two halves of the same cupcake," she said raising her cupcake and then she ate it all at one piece.

"Thanks Pinkie, but for now I have enough with my animals."

"That's what I thought about my parties, you never know," Pinkie said. "And, what about you?" she added addressing to the rest.

"Right now I'm too busy with the farm to think 'bout such things," Applejack said.

"Same here, and for me to be interested in somepony, he would have to be at least half as awesome as I am," Rainbow Dash said.

"Oh. How could anypony reach such a high bar?" Applejack joked.

"Very funny," Rainbow said sarcastically.

"What about you Rarity?"

"I think for now I'm going to focus on my career, although I'm opened to the possibility of starting a relationship if it is with the right pony," the unicorn said.

"Like prince Blue Blood you mean?" Rainbow Dash asked and Rarity winced at the mention of that rude.

"Or Trenderhoof maybe?" Applejack added.

"I'll admit I may haven't been very wise in the past when it comes to stallions, but I was young."

"Rarity's right, we all make mistakes, but you never know when you might meet your better half," Spike said.

"Thank you Spike, see? He gets it," Applejack and Rainbow exchanged ironic glances, which Rarity didn't notice so she continued with the topic of the conversation. "What about you, Twilight?"

"Me? Are you kidding? I'm a princess."

"So is Cadence," Rainbow pointed out.

"Well, yes, but I'm the ruler of Equestria," Twilight replied. "besides, there's no pony that interests me in that way."

"Oh, really? What about that guard from the Cristal Empire?" Rarity asked with a knowing smile. "What was his name...?"

"Stop it!" said Twilight with a slight blush.

They spent the rest of the afternoon chatting and laughing, unaware that they were being observed from the distance.

Author's Note:

I originally posted this story at wattpad and decided to post it here as well, I first wrote it in spanish so forgive any mistake there might be and if there is, please do point it out and I'll correct it.

This chapter was basicaly an introduccion to the story to see what are each of the main six up to an so, don't worry Discord will soon apear.

You may have noticed I made small a change from The last problem, in this story, instead of meeting each moon for the council of friendship, they have a picnic together each month. Throughout the series, we see them having picnics all together and it seemed to me like a good way for Twilight to get away from her royal duties for onee day, so I decided to make that change. The council of friendship will still exist, but it will be more something Twilight will convene when she has to make a decision to which she needs her friends' help or when there's some sort of danger threatening Equestria.

Also, now they no longer teach at the school of friendship, in the canon they don't say anything about it, but I think they will alredy be occupated to also have to teach. I'm stillnot sure who their substitutes will be (perhaps some of the young 6 and some other random ponies), but for the moment it's not important for the plot so for now I'll just say they're not teachers anymore and we'll see.

And no, I'm not going to ship Flash Centry with Twilight in this story, that was just a comment from Rarity proboked by the topic of conversation.
Anyway I hope you liked it.

Chapter image (it didn't let me add it to the chapter so here's the link)