• Published 11th Jan 2022
  • 710 Views, 40 Comments

The Heart's Promise - MyHobby



The Sirens have returned! Equestria has fallen! As Applejack and her allies defend the homefront, Spike and the Cutie Mark Crusaders must travel the world, find the Elements of Harmony, defeat the Unseelie Court, and save everything they love.

  • ...
0
 40
 710

Coronation

Applejack opened her eyes to find her aches and pains had vanished. She sat up in a warm bed, surrounded by blankets and laying on a down-filled cushion. The smell that surrounded her was strange, but not unpleasant. It was herbal, and fresh, and a little bit spicy. She reached beside the round bed and touched her hat, which had been left on top of a simple stool carved from a stump.

Masks covered the walls, either carved from wood or molded from clay. They were painted to resemble species from the Lowlands: Zebras, Giraffes, Lions, and so on. Applejack saw a black cauldron bubbling in the middle of the room, being stirred by one such Lowlands inhabitant. “Zecora?”

Zecora the Zebra smiled as Applejack got to her hooves. “It’s good to see you up and about. For a moment there I was filled with doubt.” She gestured to an empty mug beside the bed. “A healing elixir mended your pain…” Her eyebrows came together as she glanced out the window. “But worse things have arrived once again.”

Applejack could see Canter Mountain through the window from where she stood. It was covered in rifts and ulcerous chasms, all glowing with purple magic, leaking acrid smoke. Near the peak it looked like a veritable volcano of dark, twisted magic.

“You were drained every step that you took. When first I found you, I could not bear to look.” Zecora’s voice warbled. She doused the fire beneath the cauldron and left whatever was inside to cool. “It devours life. It breeds strife. You looked dead, from toe to head, your spirit balanced on a knife.”

“I need—” Applejack swiveled her head back and forth until she found Twilight’s bag. It was hanging on a coatrack beside the entrance. “We need to get to Ponyville pronto. Evil fairies attacked and everypony’s in danger.”

“The Dark Fae? So you say.” Zecora scurried to the coatrack and enveloped herself in a gray cloak. “Our enemies in every way. The Lowlands are no stranger to their fable. We leave as soon as you are able.”

“I’m able.” Applejack grabbed Twilight’s bag, double-checking that the Element of Kindness was safe, and pushed the door open almost before Zecora had her hood on. The devious Everfree Forest loomed ahead of her, strange magic and stranger creatures lurking in every corner. “I think you oughta lead, though.”

“I’ve lived here for years, learning each leaf and root.” Zecora closed the door behind her and barred it with an iron lock Applejack had never seen her use before. Even Zecora, whose doors were never closed despite her dangerous habitat, was on edge in the wake of last night’s terror. “Now off to Ponyville we’ll scoot.”

Their path was slow and steady through the forest. Zecora lived close to Ponyville, but not so close that one would find her hut by accident. Applejack kept glancing back at Canter Mountain, at least until she stepped on a thorny plant or had a bug fly into her face. The Everfree was oddly welcoming compared with the mountain; though it was also home to strange magic, it at least resembled the world as she knew it.

When they came to Ponyville’s town square, they found it crowded with ponies. Most had found their way to the market in front of Ponyville Castle, but they were not there to shop. They crowded on the steps to the castle and were only held back by guardsponies stationed at the front gates. Some had given up on the castle and had done the same to City Hall, but were met with similar results. Most paid Applejack no mind, and those that did see her ignored her as soon as they noticed. They were after answers, and the farm girl from the edge of town wasn’t going to know any more than they did. Especially since she wasn’t the mayor anymore. Especially since the Elements of Harmony were either lost or destroyed. Applejack kept her head low and pushed gently through the crowd, gradually getting closer to the castle.

Zecora kept her hood over her eyes. She appeared as a pony to the milling crowd. Even more of a nobody than the former hero.

So unnoticed they were that Applejack nearly leaped out of her skin when a hoof clamped onto both of their shoulders. She glanced behind her in a mixture of horror and confusion and became no less confused when she saw Ribbon Wishes, the town plumber, guiding them both to the front gate of the castle. “Easy does it. Don’t spook the crowd, Your Mayorship.”

“I ain’t—” Applejack clapped her jaw shut. Denial would draw more attention than anything.

“Very few of these ponies are friends,” Ribbon Wishes said, her mouth barely moving. “And those that are wouldn’t remain such once they knew what was going on.”

Applejack glanced at the ponies around them with a newfound unease. Considering what she knew of Merry Mare, and the ease with which the Mother of the Sirens had won her mayorship over her only opponent, it was an easy guess as to how she had persuaded the crowd.

The guards parted and allowed them to slip inside. Applejack recognized them as two of Twilight’s personal guards: Coldstone and Snowcap. A brief uproar echoed through those closest to the gate, a few questions spattered against the guards, but no answers came.

Applejack and Zecora were led down the long foyer hall to the central room of the Ponyville Castle. Six thrones sat equidistant from each other in a circle, and a seventh sat near the northmost seat. In the middle of the open circle was a large flat-topped table made from a single piece of crystal. Illusions appeared on the surface, representing a map of Equestria and the surrounding territories. Overhead, a mobile made from an ancient root system raised aloft dozens of crystalized memories, pulled from Applejack and her friends, able to be viewed by anyone so long as they focused on one in particular.

She could see families from all over Ponyville sitting in clusters around the throne room. The Cakes were huddled not too far from Rarity’s parents. Button Mash’s parents were talking back and forth with Davenport and Roseluck. Bulk Biceps was with his son, Featherweight, who was seated with his buddies Snips, Pipsqueak, and third pony Applejack didn’t know at first glance. Their families were all there as well, and so was Derpy Doo and her daughter Dinky. Applejack saw Sweetie near Button Mash, who was entertaining the children with a stripped-down version of one of his puppet plays.

There. She felt immense relief when she saw Big Mac, Cheerilee, Cinnamon, and Grand Pear sitting with Fleur de Lis and Jadeite, with both small fillies on Grand Pear’s knees. She was about to walk up to them, to hug Mac tighter than he’d ever been hugged before, when she heard her name coming from the circle of thrones.

Starswirl the Bearded was doing his best to take charge, though it seemed to be a too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen situation. Commander Skyhook and Dean Abacus Cinch were in a heated discussion, while Prince Blueblood sat in the Thone of Magic, shaking his head and staring at nothing in particular. Mayor Gaston paced around the perimeter. Spike leaned against the table, his head in his hands, his eyes glaring daggers at Canter Mountain, while Apple Bloom rubbed his back.

The one who had spoken, Night Light, father of Twilight, ran towards Applejack, waving a hoof. “Applejack, thank the Creator! Have you seen Velvet? Can you tell us what happened to Twilight?”

Applejack averted her eyes from him. “Last I saw Miss Velvet, the Sirens had her captured. As for Twi… you know as much as I do.”

Spike rapped his claws on the table, as though he could physically snatch Jeuk from his hiding place. “All I know for sure is that the Elements can rescue her.” He nodded, a motion intended to reassure others as much as himself, Applejack figured. “They can rescue her. If they could trap Luna on the moon, they can free Twilight.”

“I hope you’re right, kid.”

The mare who had spoken was not someone Applejack was expecting to see, and so she did not immediately recognize her. She watched the mare come, her eyes taking a moment to focus, to understand what she was seeing. Earth pony. Curly orange mane. Yellow coat. Glistening red gemstone around the neck.

Applejack’s eyes sharpened in an instant. She reeled back a hoof and let it fly, driving it into the side of Adagio Dazzle’s head.

“That’s fer Celestia!” Applejack threw Twilight’s bag to Zecora before the Siren could react. She leaped upon the stunned Adagio and laid into her with heavy hoofstrikes. “And fer Twilight! And fer Fluttershy! And fer—”

One kick to her stomach knocked Applejack back. She stumbled and fell, but was caught by Zecora before she could hit the ground. She glared at Adagio, reaching for her, fighting against Zecora’s grip to do more harm. “Lemme go! She’s been workin’ with them this whole time! She’s with the Unsilly! Stop her afore she hurts anybody else!”

“Applejack!” Adagio raised her voice so that the entire throne room could hear her. “Sit a moment and think.”

“I am thinkin’!” Applejack snapped. “I’m thinkin’ how nice it’ll be to put yer grave next’r the orchard so’s every mornin’ I can wake up and spit on it.”

“Stop it!” Sweetie Belle galloped towards them and put her hooves on Applejack’s chest. “If she’s working with the Unseelie, why did she help all of us to escape?

Escape?” Applejack snapped her teeth. “Last I saw of you, y’all were lookin’ on an’ applaudin’ while Jeuk stabbed Celestia in the back!”

“She knew she was going to die, Applejack.” Adagio wiped blood from her lips. “And you did, too.”

“The heck are you talkin’ about?”

“The orchard, Applejack,” Ribbon Wishes said, “or have you already forgotten?”

“The… the heck?” Applejack sneered at Ribbon as Zecora released her. She decided to sit, looking back and forth, until somepony said something that made sense. “How would you even know that I talked to her?”

“Applejack, listen.” Adagio stole the farmer’s attention again, keeping herself out of arm’s reach. “Celestia died so that you’d have a chance. You know that, right? She died so that we would all have a chance.” She pointed at the bag that Applejack had so readily discarded. “Or do you think it was random happenstance that you escaped with all of that?

Sweetie Belle nodded quickly. “I—I can vouch for Adagio. She led most of Canterlot’s people to the air harbor… including the castle staff. She rescued everybody who was onboard the Laputa and brought us here. She’s not working for the Unseelie. She was on our side the whole time.”

Adagio raised an eyebrow at that last one. “You’re a nice kid, Sweetie Belle, but way too trusting. I was working for the Unseelie. For years.” She raised a hoof before Applejack could shout. “I doubt they’d let me back after this, don’t you? Trust me or don’t, but do yourself a favor and hold off on the fisticuffs for a sec.”

Applejack wasn’t planning on pummeling Adagio anymore—not yet—so she turned to Ribbon Wishes with a scowl. “An’ just how did you know about me an’ Celestia’s private conversation? I ain’t lettin’ that go.”

Pumpkin Cake trotted into the middle of the conversation with her head held high. “Cuz she’s a fairy and doesn’t care how physics work, so she was invisible.” At her parents’ mortified expressions, she shrugged. “What? It’s true and I’m tired of keeping it to myself.”

Adagio pressed her teeth together in a deathlike grin. “Pumpkin, that brain of yours’ll make you rich one day, but only if your mouth doesn’t get you killed first.”

Applejack looked over at Ribbon Wishes, wearing overalls and a baseball cap, her plumber’s tools hanging from every beltloop and pocket.

The accused fairy eyed Pumpkin with a faint hint of resignation. “Will you believe me that I’m on your side?”

“She is,” Pumpkin said. “She got her plot kicked when she fought Jeuk in a one-on-one magic duel. I don’t think I could fake that kinda embarrassment.”

Pound Cake hovered over his sister and bashfully wrung his hooves together. “She, um, also saved my life, so… um, she’s good. She’s a good fairy.”

Ribbon Wishes lowered her eyelids at the Cake twins. “Yes. I fought Jeuk… and survived, might I add.” She clicked her tongue and turned to the stunned faces of the Equestrian leaders seated around the map. “The Seelie Fae on this world may be few in number, but still we pledge our support to your efforts in fighting the Unseelie Court.”

Applejack got to her hooves and gave Ribbon a wide berth. “I guess today’s the day I take the word of Sirens and fairies at face value.” She approached the table, glancing back and forth between the ponies there. She gave Apple Bloom a quick hug before taking a seat on her throne. “So let’s get down to business. What do we got?”

Starswirl looked to Blueblood, who looked to Cinch, who looked to Adagio. Adagio just clapped a hoof against Starswirl’s back and nearly knocked him over. “You first, big guy.”

Starswirl coughed and righted himself with a hoof against the tabletop. “Canterlot is gone. The whole of the city. Celestia is dead, and Luna is half a world away. Twilight is…” He glanced at Spike and Night Light. “She is the Mare in the Moon, outside our reality. Canter Mountain itself has become inhospitable. The guard is dead, missing, or turned to Merry’s side.”

A cough from Skyhook interrupted the old wizard. “Not all the guard. All of Twilight’s personal guard remain loyal, and most of the Ponyville guard is made of good, solid soldiers. We have about five-hundred ponies we can trust on that end.”

“Yes,” came Starswirl’s dry reply. “Five-hundred against the five-thousand Canterlot Regulars, and the seven-thousand Manehattan Harbor Guard. Perhaps we yet stand a chance.”

“Hold your horseshoes, now,” Applejack said. “You ain’t suggestin’ we’re gonna fight with loyal Equestrian soldiers, are yah? They’re all volunteers! They’re all normal folks who wanted to defend Equestria from monsters an’ invaders an’ tyrants.”

“Unfortunately, Lady Applejack, they’re loyal to whomever is in charge of Equestria.” Blueblood leaned his elbow against the armrest of Twilight’s throne. “Which, as of last night, is the Circle of Mayors—” Mayor Gaston winced. “—which has named Merry Mare as its head. Even Stonewall, Captain of the Guard, was seen in her company. They will see no problem hunting us all down for the sake of the security of Equestria and its citizens because that’s… Their… Job…”

“It isn’t just the normal soldiers anymore, either.” Adagio moved a marker, made from a used soda can, to a spot in the ocean just off the coast, east of Canter Mountain. “It hasn’t been that long since Silver Spoon freed the prisoners at Solitaire with a choice: join or die. Jeuk’ll be using them to replace any soldiers who oppose the Sirens.”

Applejack pulled the brim of her hat over her eyes. “How many prisoners escaped?”

“I’m not sure, at least compared to how many were just plain killed.” Adagio shrugged. “I think the prison held ten thousand total.”

“Almost every single creature who was held there,” Starswirl said quietly, “was guilty of violent crimes. Many murderers found their way into Solitaire before the Unseelie Court attacked.”

“And those who did not follow willingly…” Adagio Dazzle held up the red gemstone dangling from her neck. “Sirens have ways of making you behave.”

Applejack peered out from beneath her hat. She blew a hot breath from her snout. “So how can we fight people if we know their hearts ain’t in it?”

“Intentions pave the way to hell, Applejack,” Adagio said. “Even the wisest creature can’t judge based on intention. Only action. All you know for sure is that your family is in danger. All you know for sure is that the Sirens’ army is coming for you. All you know for sure is that if you don’t fight, Jeuk and Merry win.”

Spike shut his eyes and rubbed his head, bumping his claws against his head spikes. “A lotta good people are gonna die, either way.”

Skyhook cleared his throat a bit more loudly than was strictly necessary. “My scouts have spotted the Sirens and the Canterlot Regulars moving their equipment to New Cloudsdale. It seems that’s their intended base of operations. I suspect the slim stallion in their company was Jeuk?”

“Sounds like him,” Applejack said with a growl.

Starswirl plucked a scroll from the table and rolled it up in a spell. “In addition, we have reports from local radio stations that news of the attack on Canterlot has spread to every city-state in Equestria. The report they received lays the blame squarely on Princess Celestia going mad. Much like the Nightmare Moon of yore. After the past few years, the story seems strangely palatable to the general populace. Much more palatable than wild rumors of the Unseelie Court returning, or being real in the first place. After all, are Windigoes and Skinthieves not the stuff of fairy tales?” He looked at Ribbon Wishes with a heavy brow.

“‘Skinthief’ is hardly an accurate name.” Ribbon pinched her cheek and tugged. It stretched abnormally far. “This skin is my own, grown specially for me, though I do not inhabit it the way your mortal souls do. It has a very simple brain—”

Pumpkin Cake snorted.

Ribbon’s cheeks heated up. “—solely used for locomotive purposes, you little brat.”

Starswirl frowned and placed his jingling hat upon his head. “Our fate is the same whether that skin is stolen or homegrown. Equestria is against us. Perhaps so thoroughly that they would imprison us to a pony the instant we step outside.” He turned to Applejack on her throne. “And your friends and family, every single one of them, is to share the same fate simply through dint of knowing you.”

Applejack locked eyes with Apple Bloom. “That’s what Merry’s warrant said.”

Apple Bloom stood up, and her head was higher than anypony who was not sitting on a throne. “What are we gonna do? We can’t just sit tight an’ let them take Mac and Grand Pear! An’—an’ Cinnamon, and Jadeite…”

“In fact,” Starswirl said, “everypony in this room.”

Applejack leaned hard on the armrest. The families who were scattered around the throne room and a few besides. No wonder they had been gathered. Adagio really had saved them all. That or made them that much easier to capture… but that wouldn’t make sense. Not when Starswirl and the castle staff should have suffered a fiery death at Jeuk’s hands.

Dean Abacus Cinch tapped a ruler against the edge of the table, and the ponies present sat up in rapt attention. She gestured to the northern part of the illusory map of Equestria. “The only hope we have right now, the only place we can go and be certain that Merry and the Unseelie’s influence has no sway, is the Crystal Empire. The Unseelie are kept out via the Crystal Heart’s Hearths Warming Spell, and the Merry supporters will be kept out by virtue of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza refusing to remove her crown. She will not kneel to Merry Mare.” She pursed her already-thin lips. “War is inevitable, but still a ways off, thanks to the Crystal Empire’s distance from Equestria’s heartland.”

Apple Bloom’s eyes jumped from the dean to the map and back again. “The same heartland that stands between us an’ the empire?”

“Astute, Miss Apple.” Abacus rounded the map table, tapping her ruler against each city as she named them off. “New Cloudsdale, Manehattan, Fillidelphia, and Trottingham. Each one specifically targeted by the Sirens to spread the word of Merry’s completely legitimate rule. Each one armed with full garrison of Royal Guardsponies soon to be bolstered by Equestria’s most wanted and a level of corruption unheard of since the Changeling Empire.” She laid the ruler out in a straight line between Ponyville and the Crystal Empire. “For so many ponies to make such a long journey through hostile territory, even with allies along the way, it would be suicide.” She looked over her rectangular glasses at Ribbon Wishes. “Which is why we need to make use of the Ways. Do you know how to use them, Lady Fairy?”

Ribbon Wishes shook her head. “I know of what you speak, though I know not how to activate them. Only the rulers of nations and the breezies themselves know how to cross the Ways.”

“Breezies?” Applejack stood on the seat of her throne and removed her hat to get a clear look at the map. If she recalled correctly, the magic pathway to the breezie home was just south of Ponyville. “You talkin’ about those portals the breezies use to get hither and thither?”

“Indeed.” Abacus Cinch exchanged a glance with Starswirl, and a wordless communication passed between them. “In the time before Equestria, when the world was still young, the breezies used the Ways to travel between countries in an instant, bringing healing Ambrosia wherever they went. Since the formation of Equestria, since the tragedies of Sombra and Discord and Nightmare Moon, these Ways were shut off, sealed, deactivated forevermore. Only a select few people were permitted to use them, Celestia included. There were similar pathways into Tartarus, but these have been destroyed alongside Canterlot. As has the main Canterlot portal.”

“The second closest portal,” Starswirl said, “was destroyed when Princess Twilight collapsed the ruins of Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters.”

“There is a portal to the Ways in every capital city.” Abacus’ horn flickered, and the map zoomed out, covering more territory. Applejack could see across the ocean, to where Felaccia and the Lowlands lay. And even to the Sandidry Desert beyond. “Felaccia, the Lowlands, Beefland, the Cauldron, and the Crystal Empire all keep a close eye on their magic portals, and only open them under the most dire of circumstances.”

Applejack’s eyes moved from Ponyville southward. Past the southernmost towns of Equestria, Dodge Junction and Appleoosa, beside the inhospitable Badlands, lay the dragon kingdom of the Cauldron. It was a long journey, but the lower population density would make it so that the greatest danger was to the rear, rather than all around. “A portal from the Cauldron to the Crystal Empire. Go south to go north.”

Abacus Cinch nodded, and a small smile appeared on her face.

Applejack rubbed her chin. It was a good plan, at least better than the alternative. But it wasn’t foolproof. With as many people as they’d need to move, it would be slow going. She hadn’t seen a caravan yet that could move faster than a crawl. Jeuk’s forces would overtake them inside a week. “But it ain’t enough, is it? Someone needs to make sure the Sirens and Unsilly can’t get their claws into our backs.” She turned back to Canter Mountain and the voluminous New Cloudsdale beside it. “Someone needs to stay behind and fight.”

Adagio Dazzle smirked and crossed her forelegs on the table. “An’ just who’s gonna volunteer to do that?

Applejack plopped her hat between her ears and cinched Twilight’s bag tight around her torso. “I will. Somepony needs to stay behind an’ rescue the ponies Merry an’ Jeuk captured. Somepony need to make sure the Apples who live in Manhattan an’ Trottingham have someone on their side. Somepony need to stick it to Jeuk an’ his whole dang operation any way we can. An’ I guess that’s me.”

Spike stood up and placed his fist against his chest. “We need the Elements of Harmony now more than ever. Jeuk’s already shown an interest in me. If I head out on my journey now, his attention will be split between the refugees, the defenders, and the seekers. If we’re lucky, Princess Luna and King Andean will have survived last night and will also be ready to attack the Unseelie. With all of that coming up against him, he won’t even have time to fight the Crystal Empire.” He rested a claw on the back of his diminutive throne. “So, I guess we just have to decide who’s going where.”

Blueblood stood first. “I shall lead the people south. The Crystal Empire is my ancestral home, and these ponies are my people. It’s as though things were decided centuries ago, before I was even born.”

“I shall go with you,” Abacus Cinch said. “We have several students with us, and if all the alicorns fall, we shall need trained unicorns to keep the sun and moon from the Unseelie.”

“I shall also accompany you.” Mayor Gaston unsheathed his glittering sword and dropped it to the ground. “You shall need trained warriors to protect the people on their long journey. It is time to exchange my ceremonial sword for a real one.”

Starswirl gazed forlornly at the illusory Canter Mountain. “I shall remain and fight alongside Applejack. Too many times have I been elsewhere when I was needed here.”

Skyhook saluted Applejack. “Twilight’s personal guard will stand by you. I’ll send most of the Ponyville Guard south to protect the caravan, but we’ve got more than enough mettle to be a thorn in Merry’s side.”

Night Light touched a hoof to Spike’s shoulder. “I’d stay if I could, but I can’t abandon my grandkids.” He bowed his head to Applejack. “Help Velvet. Please. And… and my daughter…”

“I will.”

Spike hugged Night Light gently. “The Elements will bring Twilight back, I promise.”

“I know it,” Night Light sighed. “I know it, Spike.”

“We’ll stand by you, Applejack!”

Pipsqueak marched up, with Snips, Featherweight, and that third pony, who had an odd resemblance with Button Mash. Applejack’s ears stood up straight when she realized it was Button’s older brother, Lickety Split, who had vanished for several years.

Pipsqueak saluted sharply. “We are ready and willing to lay our lives down in service to this here community, sirrah!”

Applejack lowered her eyebrows. “With all due respect, y’all are the Fire Brigade, not the Long Patrol.”

Snips coughed. “Former Fire Brigade for some of us.”

“Even so, Marm!” Pipsqueak stood at even more rapt attention, if that was at all possible. “Ponyville is our heart and soul! And we are Ponyville’s heart and soul! I cannot sit by and watch her be overrun by those who would do her harm, wot! I mean… Sirrah.”

Dinky Do trotted up to her fiancé, wearing a tan overcoat and armed with some sort of bracelet on her foreleg. “You’d better not leave me out, Pip. Time Turner taught me a thing to two, you know.”

Pipsqueak looked up at his far-taller better half. “I’d think nothing less, Dinky.”

“I’ll help, too.” Snails appeared as if out of the shadows and came to stand between Snips and Lickety. He smiled in his trademark unworried fashion, speaking in a relaxed drawl.

Snips’ eyes about bugged out of his head. “Snails! Where in the heck did you disappear to?”

Snails shrugged. “Long story.”

“What’s the short version?”

“I was waitin’ for Lickety Split to come back.” His smile widened. “Ain’t a full crew without him.”

Snips rubbed his mane as his eyes took on a distant look. “Ain’t a full crew without you either, buddy.”

“I shall travel south with you,” Zecora said to Prince Blueblood. “For such a long journey, medicine is due. I’ll not concoct it in my pot, but herb and poultice help a lot.”

Big Mac trotted up to Applejack with his eyes turned down. “Feels wrong leavin’ yah here.”

“Somepony’s gotta watch over the family, Mac.” Applejack placed a hoof on his chest. “I don’t trust nopony more than you.”

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle joined Apple Bloom at Spike’s side. Button gave his brother a half-smile. “Guess it’s time for us to split again.”

“At least it’s under…” Lickety Split bit his tongue. “Not ‘better’ circumstances. Just better between us.” He tousled Button’s spiky mane. “See the world, Button. Then save it. I’ll try to be here when you get back.”

Button winced under the rough hoof. “I’ll hold you to that. We need to catch up for real.”

Applejack was about to speak to Apple Bloom, then thought better of it. She addressed Spike instead. “Are you ready to leave anytime soon?”

Spike gestured to his three traveling companions. “As soon as Rumble can walk, we’re outta here.”

Applejack jolted in place. She hadn’t even noticed that Rumble and Scootaloo were both missing. “He hurt or somethin’?”

“One of Caballeron’s goon squad escaped Solitaire,” Button said. “Carries a grudge and fifty wingblades.”

“He oughta be waking up soon.” Adagio Dazzle flicked an ear in the direction of Twilight’s laboratory. “Doc says the muscle damage will heal with a steady dose of Ambrosia.” She sent a smarmy smile Sweetie’s way. “We made sure to pack enough Ambrosia for both of you to last a year. After that, you’re on your own.”

Sweetie Belle furrowed her brow, and her shoulder muscles tensed, but she said nothing.

Applejack bared her teeth in a faint mockery of a smile. “And what about the resident Fairy and Siren? How’re you two gonna fall when the chips are down?”

Ribbon Wishes raised an eyebrow. “I’m here to fight for Equestria’s existence. I stay by your side.”

“And somebody’s gotta keep an eye on me,” Adagio chuckled. “The only person I trust to do that is you, Applejack.”

“Lucky me, then.” Applejack sat up straight in her throne, casting her eyes across every other pony around the circle. “Anything else we need to cover before we get down to business?”

Silence fell over the makeshift council. Glances jumped between ponies. Blueblood turned left and right before letting out a groan. “Oh for pony’s sake, somebody had better tell her.”

Starswirl the Bearded spoke at last, slowly, hesitantly. “For those suckling at the teat of Merry’s propaganda machine, it will mean little. But for those who still believe in the princess… We have a bit of propaganda of our own.”

Applejack scowled. “I don’t intend to lie to people. Not even if it makes them feel better.”

“It is true enough.” Starswirl unraveled the scroll he kept by his side. “Something does not have to be false to be propaganda. Not when we wish to sway minds and turn hearts.” He held the scroll up for all to see. “Here, in Celestia’s own scrawl, is written her chosen successor.”

Applejack’s ears stood up. “I s’pect that’d be either Twilight or Luna.”

“And you would be right,” Starswirl said, “if either of them were present. But neither one can be reached. So we must go down the line.”

Applejack tried and failed to suppress her frown. “I guess it’s Blueblood, then? Since Cadence is holed up in the north?”

“As I have said before.” Blueblood adjusted his bowtie so that it sat straighter on his neck. He pointed his horn to the northmost portion of the map. “My path leads me to the Crystal Empire, and as such I won’t be around to lead Equestria. Celestia knew this, which is why she did not name me.”

“Then I guess I’m out of ideas.” Applejack leaned back in her throne, wishing that the memories that glittered overhead were real in the here-and-now. “Starswirl? Spike? Some bureaucrat I never met before?”

“Think about it, Applejack.” Adagio swung her gemstone on the end of its chain with a jaunty twirl. “With Twilight gone, who’s the next best leader among the six of you?”

“The six of—” Applejack’s eyes widened. She stood up and tossed her hat aside. “No.”

“Applejack?” Spike scratched the scarred scales on his chest. “I guess that’s… well, actually, you know, that does make a certain kinda sense…”

“You’re jokin’.” Applejack leaped down from her throne and trotted away from the map table. “You gotta be jokin’. There ain’t no way Princess Celestia chose me to be her—”

“Perhaps you might read the scroll, Lady Applejack.” Starswirl hovered the literature across the room to her side. “Perhaps seeing the reality of the situation might ease your worries.”

Ease my worries?” Applejack snatched the scroll out of the air and shook it at him. “Equestria’s in the hands of an evil fairy and his mind-controllin’ minions. My family is homeless thanks to him havin’ a chip on his shoulder about me in particular. My little sister is goin’ on a journey that might not even have an end. All my friends are captured or dead. Which worry in particular is this gonna ease? What’ll it ease to know that I’m responsible for all of it?

“Like I said, it is propaganda.” Starswirl’s hat jingled as he tilted his head. “To reassure the people on our side that all is not lost, that the successor of Princess Celestia is actively fighting to make the world right. That the peace Celestia brought to Equestria is not so easily destroyed.” He spread his forelegs out and spoke to everyone in the room. “Is there anyone here who would refuse Applejack as their High Princess?”

Applejack did not look to see their response. She looked down at the letter and saw Celestia’s hornwriting, clear as day. Her sister was to succeed her. In her absence, it was Cadence, then Twilight. Even Flurry Heart was named, once she came of age. And there, in black and white, clear as day, was her name. Celestia specifically chose her to lead Equestria in its hour of greatest need, when nopony else was available to take charge. When all other hopes failed, Applejack remained.

“I’m so glad it was you,” Celestia had said.

Applejack clicked her tongue and rolled the scroll up. She tossed it to Starswirl and returned to her throne. Now, it seemed, it had more weight behind it than merely the chair of a Bearer of an Element. “Seems my mind’s been made up for me.”

Adagio Dazzle smirked, and Applejack once again wanted to punch her in the face. The Siren walked sideways around the map until she stood alongside the Throne of Honesty. “Anything we need to do to make it official, Starscream the Weirdo?”

Starswirl scoffed at her. “I’m afraid we have little in the way of anointing oil or crowns.”

“Don’t need ’em.” Applejack tapped the brim of her hat and leaned back against the throne. “We all know what we gotta do anyhow, so there ain’t no decisions I gotta make, ‘cept where we’re gonna hole up once the army comes to occupy Ponyville.”

Adagio laughed to herself, though Applejack found no humor in it. “I recommend anywhere but Sweet Apple Acres.”

Applejack stood up and snapped her hoof against the crystal seat. “Then let’s get everypony ready to roll. Merry won’t wait long!”


Scootaloo rested her chin on Rumble’s bed. They just had to wait now. The big stallion would wake up and they’d be ready to set out.

His family sat nearby, tending to their twin daughters. Dr. Fine’s words had reassured them, though they still didn’t stray far from Twilight’s lab. Adagio Dazzle had insisted Rumble not be treated at the hospital. She said it was too dangerous.

Scootaloo felt her chest tighten. It was her fault Rumble was hurt. Rhombus wanted her, and he was willing to cut down anybody who got in his way. Whether that be her friends, her boyfriend, or her family. He wouldn’t stop until he got his way, or he was dead. She didn’t deserve Rumble. Or more to the point, they didn’t deserve to have her problems causing them pain.

She shut her eyes against the destructive thoughts in her head. No! Rumble loved her. They all loved her and supported her! They would stand by her side through thick and thin, and they would all be stronger together. They would beat Rhombus and the Sirens and the Dark Fairies and…

Dad.

Rumble stirred at last, his eyes blinking open. He opened his mouth and croaked. “Where am I?”

“At Twilight’s castle.” Scootaloo touched his hoof, and the pain in her chest lessened. “A lot’s happened.”

“I doubt I’d understand half of it.” Rumble moved to sit up, but she pushed him back down.

“You have a stab wound.” Scootaloo hesitated before continuing, her eyes unable to tear themselves away from his bandages. “You’re not supposed to fly until you’re healed. The doctor says about a month. He prescribed two milliliters of Ambrosia a day.”

Rumble huffed, but he lay back when she pressed against his shoulders. “That’s gonna make our trip a little harder.”

“Yeah. Probably.” She blinked the tears out of her eyes while he wasn’t looking. “I’m glad you’re safe.”

“You too.” He reached out his hoof for her cheek. “Listen, I wanna apologize—”

“Save it.” She gave his hoof a pat and backed away. “You’ve only got a few hours to say goodbye.” She moved aside and let Thunderlane and Cloudkicker through. As they began talking, she trotted out of the lab and into the throne room. Most people were clustered together in various small groups, and she spotted Spike, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Button forming their own quartet near the front entrance of the room. She headed over but stopped when she saw Adagio Dazzle sitting by herself, munching on some sort of granola bar.

She approached the Siren slowly, as if she were hunting a large predator. She lowered her head and spread her wings for a quick flight. She sucked in a breath, let it out slowly, and tapped her on the shoulder. “Yo.”

Adagio flicked her eyes upward. “I was wondering if you’d come to talk to me.”

“Caution Tape.” Scootaloo sat in front of the Siren. “What do you know?”

“What did he tell you?”

“That…” Scootaloo rubbed the back of her mane. “You know…”

Adagio smirked in patient understanding. “That your mother was a Siren?”

Scootaloo’s blood ran cold. She felt her stomach in freefall, as though she’d soared a thousand feet in the air only to have her wings cut off. The world swirled around her and she almost vomited on the Siren’s horseshoes.

Adagio’s eyes widened. “Okay, not that, then.”

A Siren? One of the most dangerous enemies Equestria had faced in the last thousand years of its existence? And she was born from the union of one of them and a murderous traitor? Scootaloo couldn’t take it. She couldn’t. She hunched over and let tears flow from her eyes. “This can’t be real.”

Adagio hesitated, then touched her wingtip. Scootaloo flinched away.

“So he’s really my dad,” she choked out. “Isn’t he?”

“Yeah.” Adagio Dazzle glanced around, as though attempting to ward off Scootaloo’s defenders. “He and Aria met about… twenty-two years ago. You were born pretty quick, from what Aria told me.”

Scootaloo’s tearful words dripped with venom. “She abandoned me pretty quick.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t know the whole story.” Adagio shrugged, looking anywhere but at Scootaloo. “Nobody does. All I know is what Aria told me, and she told me she made sure you had a good home.”

Scootaloo shouted at the top of her lungs. “She left me in an ALLEY!

Adagio flinched, grimacing as though she were choking down cold medicine. “Like I said, I don’t know the whole story…”

“And now my murder-dad is hunting me and my friends down.” Scootaloo bumped her hoof against Adagio’s forehead. “Thanks for the heads-up, glad to have you on our side.”

“Scoot—” Adagio reached for her, but didn’t follow as Scootaloo stalked away. She shut her eyes and raised her voice so that she could hear her. “You’re the only thing he cares about, Scootaloo! That might be the only thing that can save you! He loves you!”

Scootaloo snapped her teeth together. She kept her head down, even as Sweetie Belle wrapped comforting forelegs around her neck. “That makes one of us.”


Sweetie Belle touched the green gemstone necklace she wore at all times. She once again averted her eyes from the other Siren, the one whose power was not natural-born, but artificial. Unlike Adagio’s gem, which tuned her voice to sway the minds of others, Sweetie Belle’s gem explicitly prevented her voice from controlling people.

She stood on the train platform alongside the other five members of their expedition. Only six total. Their mission was perhaps the one which required the most swiftness, in order to stay ahead of the Nightmares which pursued them in both their waking and dreaming hours. So Spike had refused additional guardsponies. Protecting the southward caravan was too important. Fighting the Unseelie in Equestria was too important. Gathering the Elements was too important.

Few ponies had braved the crowds to see them off. Only Applejack, Adagio, and Starswirl. Everyone else had been left with clipped, unfinished goodbyes. Everyone else was left to wonder how they would make their way across the entire world alone.

“I say get off the Friendship Express before you reach Dodge Junction.” Applejack… High Princess Applejack checked the straps on Apple Bloom’s bag once again. The elder sister didn’t look the younger in the eye. It seemed to be a theme for the entire goodbye. Nobody willing to look reality in the face. Everyone hiding from the danger they were all about to face. Just for a few hours more. “Appleoosa might be friendly, or it might be ground zero for one of Merry’s more aggressive campaigns.”

“The Cauldron is your first destination,” Starswirl said. “It is the closest of the clues I can deduce from Clover’s writings. If you can’t find Loyalty among the dragons…” He cleared his throat and passed Clover the Clever’s journal to Spike. “Well, cross that bridge when we bally well come to it, I say.”

Spike put the book in his bag, alongside the only Element they’d received thus far: Kindness. There had been talk of leaving it with Applejack, or of the caravan taking it to the Crystal Empire, but a soft reminder about the Elements, that if used alone, they turned into something ugly, left the only possible Bearers to be the Seekers. For now.

Though Sweetie tried to ignore her, she still found herself under the attention of Adagio. The Siren leaned close to her, to the point where hearing her whisper was unavoidable. “Don’t forget, your power is one of the strongest weapons the six of you have. Don’t hesitate to use it if you need it.”

“I’m not like you,” Sweetie said in a harsh whisper. “I’m not going to use evil magic, even for a good cause.”

“You did on the airship, from what I understand.” Adagio scowled when Sweetie took in a sharp breath. “Don’t be a hypocrite, kid. It doesn’t become you. Looks bad on the resume. You’re a natural Siren. Something we thought died out centuries ago. Be proud of who you are.”

“I couldn’t possibly be proud of that.”

“Then do yourself a favor and be rational about it.” Adagio gave the others a side-eye when they began to board the train. “If it’s you, kid, I bet you can find a way to use the Siren’s power without becoming like we did. Without becoming a tyrant like Merry and Silver. In fact, I’m counting on it.” She backed away and plastered her usual smarmy smile across her muzzle. “And teach me all about it when you get back. It’s hard to turn over a new leaf when everybody thinks you’re evil incarnate.”

The train doors closed, and Sweetie Belle was left looking at the landscape as it swept by.

“Nothing but fun days ahead, huh?” Scootaloo wrapped a wing around Sweetie’s shoulders. “I’m glad we have each other, at least.”

“I can’t tell you how right you are.” Sweetie Belle leaned against her oldest friend, who had stood by her side even before the Cutie Mark Crusaders had been formed. “What say we forget about our personal problems for a while and worry about finding the Elements of Harmony?”

“With pleasure.” Scootaloo gently turned Sweetie towards the dining cabin, where the others were already setting up shop. “At least until our ‘personal problems’ knock our door down.”