• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 949 Views, 3 Comments

Hearth's Warming Eve - Darkswirl



A darker outlook on the founding of Equestria; full of lies, sabotage, hatred, deceit and murder.

  • ...
4
 3
 949

The Fourth Day

THE LAND BEFORE, UNICORNICUS, SUN-UP

"Come, Clover the Clever; we are leaving to secure the food." Queen Platinum said, her head held high as she usually had it.

Clover the Clever pulled her robe tighter around her body to keep out the cold as the two set off down the mountainside towards Earth with a band of unicorn soldiers.

---
---
---

"Now, Clover," Queen Platinum began. "It is impervious that you continue to address me as Princess when in the presence of those other than unicorns. If word got out to the other races that my father was dead the results could be disastrous. I wouldn't put it past the earth ponies to be uplifted by my fathers death and stage some sort of attack, as weak as it may be, against my kingdom. Of course, since it was the pegasi who killed my father I'm sure they already know, but let's act as if only we know."

"Yes, Queen Platinum." Clover said loyally.

It was nearly past sunhigh when the unicorns arrived in Earth, and the sight that befell them was shocking: the earth ponies were meandering around as if they had no purpose; their eyes dark and sullen in fear and hunger. Most of their shacks had had the doors kicked in and the cold wind blowing though them now. The very sight of these pained creatures made Clover the Clever's chest burn in sorrow and rage.

"I bet it was the pegasi..." she mumbled to herself as the guards stopped to let the Queen off.

"Chancellor Puddinghead!" Queen Platinum called out, not lowering her head nor opening her eyes.

Her loyal guard shivered in their cold armor as their ruler was warm inside her regal robes.

Queen Platinum blinked in shock as a snowball suddenly pelted her in the face.

Around the corner of the townhall disappeared a white fluffy mustache; one that could only belong to Chancellor Puddinghead.

Groaning furiously, Queen Platinum tromped around the corner only to see the way clear of any life and something tugging on her hoof.

Looking down at the sting that had been tugged by her hoof, Queen Platinum knew what was up and stood there in annoyance; accepting her fate as the snow from the roof began sliding down towards her.

Only the laughter from Chancellor Puddinghead's snout saved him from her murderous ways as she dug herself out of the snow pile.

"Chancellor Puddinghead!" She screamed at the brown coated pony.

"Yes, Princess Platinum?" he said, covering his snout with a hoof and suppressing a giggle.

"How DARE you play "pranks" on me during this dire time! I have at my hoof a band of guards who could easily raze this town for all the food you've ever grown! Now, just hoof over my payment and we shall be out of your mane before I rip yours from your skull." Queen Platinum growled.

"Oh pish posh, Princess Platinum. You're always so...Uppity. It's quite a put down. You should try smiling for once!" Chancellor Puddinghead said cheerfully.

"The food, Chancellor." Queen Platinum said threateningly.

Rolling his eyes and frowning, the Chancellor trotted past the unicorn.

"I'm afraid you are too late. The pegasi came before you and stole everything we had. There is nothing left for us in this land, Princess. No land to cultivate, no streams to drink from. Our houses are being blown down by the fierce winds at night and three families have already passed. Go ahead and do what you will with these guards of yours, but it is nothing compared to what these ponies have already lived through. We are leaving this land tomorrow morning." Chancellor Puddinghead said firmly.

"No! You can't leave! Look, Chancellor," the Queen said, acting strangely nice towards the earth pony. "I'll convince the Pegasi to meet with me tomorrow to discuss the food situation. I would very much appreciate your presence there, Chancellor." The Queen said sincerely.

Chancellor Puddinghead's eyes narrowed as he pressed his face close to Princess Platinum's, searching her eyes for any trace of a lie or deceit.

Suddenly, and much to Queen Platinum's surprise, the Chancellor bounced backwards and began hopping away happily.

"Oki doki loki!" he called from afar, his words almost drowned out by the never ending blizzard.

Queen Platinum smiled wickedly.

Her plan was all coming together...

---
---
---

THE LAND BEFORE, EARTH, SUN-UP

"I'm proud of you, Smart Cookie." The Chancellor said sincerely. "You had a chance to rat me out and you didn't take it. You stayed loyal to your kind and left the other two races in the dust. Er, snow. Regardless, I knew you wouldn't let me down in the end."

"Of course your, Chancellorness." Smart Cookie said carefully, a smile plastered on her face and thoughts of treason and escape racing through her mind behind those guarded eyes.

---
---
---

THE LAND BEFORE, PEGASOPOLIS, SUN-LOW

"This better be important, Sergeant!" Commander Hurricane grumbled as she pulled herself out of bed.

Sergeant Thunderstorm hid his blush behind his dark coat as he watched his leader gracefully clamber out of bed and stand before him.

It took him a few moments to realize that she was standing in front of him, glaring expectantly as he stood there like a foal while letting his fantasies play out in his mind.

"U-Urgent letter from Princess Platinum, m-ma'am." he whispered in embarrassment.

Taking the rolled up parchment from the hooves of her sergeant, Commander Hurricane skimmed over the message.

Smiling to herself and offering a slight chuckle, she quickly rolled up the letter and tossed it out the window.

"Wake me before sunrise, Sergeant." she ordered, turning her back to him as she slowly walked towards her fluffy cloud bed.

"And Sergeant?" she whispered, turning her head towards him and looking at him through half closed eyes.

"Y-Yes ma'am....?" Sergeant Thunderstorm stuttered, lost in those beautiful eyes as his heart fluttered around the inside of his chest like a butterfly trapped in a jar.

"Keep your eyes on your sword and the unicorn or earth pony before you." she said before using her wings to blow the door closed in front of him.