• Published 16th Nov 2021
  • 1,311 Views, 37 Comments

Let Yourself Fall - Briarberrybones



New feelings can be a bit hard to navigate. Perhaps some friend's advice and a beautiful dinner date in the Everfree Forest can help?

  • ...
1
 37
 1,311

Ciders and Side Chats

“Here ya go, Sugarcube,” Applejack mused as she passed a cold, frothy glass of cider to Fluttershy who sat across her at the picnic table. Their little meeting place was well away from the busier barn area of Sweet Apple Acres where most of the work was being done, and nopony could easily overhear their conversation. “You askin' to meet on such short notice threw me off a bit, but tell me… what’s goin on?”

Applejack was a very sensitive mare when it came to other pony’s feelings and when Fluttershy had shown up that early afternoon, she sensed immediately that something was off. It wasn’t out of character for Fluttershy’s natural demeanor to be bashful of course, but the gloomy aura that she was emanating wasn’t normal.

“I’m really sorry to surprise you like this Applejack and I hate to distract you from your work, but… I could really use some advice right now. Some honest advice,” Fluttershy started. She could feel her instinctive reaction to hide behind her mane coming on. “Oh!” Was all Applejack could think to say in the moment.

With a deep breath Fluttershy glanced down at her frothy glass and took a quick, quiet sip before she began. “This is a little embarrassing to talk about, but it’s beginning to eat me up inside and I just really needed to talk with somepony who’s more down to earth about things,” she spoke, attempting a smile and gestured to her friend across the table. “You see, I’ve recently realized that I may have some special feelings for a very close friend of mine.”

Applejack didn’t know what to say. Never had she ever heard Fluttershy talk or even joke about crushes and she was a little thrown off by the fact that Fluttershy had chosen her of all ponies to talk about them with!

“He’s very dear to me, but I’m scared,” she began again. “I’m scared that if I were to tell him about what’s on my heart, that it might ruin the already good relationship we have. I’m scared that… he might not feel the same about me… and I don’t know why he would…and my heart already aches at the thought of it. I just don’t know if I could handle knowing the truth if it’s not pleasant.”

Applejack listened intently to Fluttershy’s words, but that last notion about “not knowing why he would” had her seething. She knew exactly who her friend was talking about, but knowing how private a pony Fluttershy was, she dare not mention it. She wasn’t for certain what Fluttershy had seen in Discord, but she knew that in all other circumstances, he made her unfathomably happy and that was enough for her. Applejack took a moment to calm herself before reaching out to place her hoof on Fluttershy’s and responded.

“Sugarcube, why on earth would a stallion not feel strongly for you?” Fluttershy’s eyes began to water in the corners. She desperately tried to hide her pooling tears with a brush of her other hoof, but it did little to help.

“I just…I just don’t feel like I’m enough. I just feel so plain compared to anypony else he could have. I’m not magical, or strong, or as pretty as-“

“Stop that! Stop that right there,” Applejack silenced her softly, but sternly.

“Darlin’, what are you sayin’? You 100% are enough! Cripes, you’re more than enough! You ARE strong, you ARE magical in your own right, and you for gosh certain are pretty! For cryin’ out loud you are gorgeous! You were a top model for a hot minute!”

Fluttershy was taken aback by her friend’s outburst and shower of compliments. She gingerly gripped her glass and waited for Applejack to fall back into her seat.

Applejack knew just how invaluable each of her friends were worth and she wasn’t about to let any of them question it. She settled herself with a huff, crossed her forelegs and spoke plainly, “And gosh darn it, if that patchworked oaf can’t see that, then he’s completely gone off his rocker and not worth your time or your heart! By golly he should be honored that you would feel so strongly for him and If he'd try to end a friendship with you over that, I'd personally show 'em what for!”

Fluttershy blinked. “Wait, what?”

Applejack caught herself, “Oh, nevermind it! What I’m tryin’ to tell you, hun, is that the last thing you of all ponies should be questioning is your worth for a stallion or anypony for that matter!” She was thankful to see that some of Fluttershys gloom had depleted at least a little, but she still looked lost. “Listen, Sugarcube. I’m certainly not an expert on these sorts of things, but I can offer a little advice.” At that, Fluttershy leaned in.

“Perhaps you can get a better read on what this…stallion is feelin by thinking back on how he acts around you? I remember when Big Mac was crushin’ on Sugar Belle, he’d done everything he could just to be close to her. Pull her chair out, give her a hug, anything. That and he would not keep his mouth shut about her! My brother’s obviously not one for words about much of anything, but golly could he yammer on about Sugar Belle and he STILL DOES!”

“Oh. Oh my,” Fluttershy finally spoke, putting a hoof to her cheek and glancing down at her now frothless cider.

“Ya know.” Applejack started again and offered a small but knowing smile. “Guys talk. Honestly more than fillies I reckon sometimes. Maybe, if this stallion also has friends, you could ask them if he ever talks about you? That’s probably a pretty good indicator that you’re on his mind often.”

At that Fluttershy perked up. “Oh, really? I suppose I never thought about that!”

Applejack was happy to see her friend in a little bit better spirits and truthfully, she would never nudge Fluttershy in a direction that she thought could actually hurt her. She knew for darn certain that Discord was soft on her, whether he even knew it or not was up to him and if he messed this up, Applejack may just try turning him back to stone all by herself, or at least make him wish he was. However, Applejack knew she could only help in so many ways. Most of addressing this little situation was up to Fluttershy and Discord to navigate, but maybe, just maybe, somepony else they knew also could be of help.

“Again, though Sugar. I’m not the best when it comes to romantic sorts of…courting… type.. things, but I’ll bet ya anything that Rarity is.”

The thought of courting Discord instantly had Fluttershy beaming a vibrant red in the cheeks and she knew that Rarity was definitely going to lay things on thick in detail if she asked for advice.

“I know she can go overboard sometimes,” Applejack chuckled. “But I’m sure she’d be courteous of your situation and be respectful.”

With that, Fluttershy admittedly felt a little lighter. It felt good being able to actually talk about something that was weighing so heavy on her with somepony she knew wouldn’t judge, no matter how embarrassing.

“You’re right, Applejack. I think I’ll do just that and pay Rarity a visit before the day is up. Thank you so much for helping me today."

“Anytime, Sugarcube.”

Applejack gave Fluttershy a warm smile and hug before escorting her off the orchard grounds.

“Sweet Celestia, their kids are gunna be a riot,” she mused to herself before returning to her work in the main barn.