• Published 16th Nov 2021
  • 1,271 Views, 37 Comments

Let Yourself Fall - Briarberrybones



New feelings can be a bit hard to navigate. Perhaps some friend's advice and a beautiful dinner date in the Everfree Forest can help?

  • ...
1
 37
 1,271

A Simple Question

Celestia’s sun was beginning to set and Fluttershy knew she had little time to find Spike before dark. She was almost certain that tonight was the weekly scheduled evening of Spike, Big Mac, and Discord’s O&O meetings, and if that was true, Spike was likely near Twilight’s castle. Oh, how she hoped she didn’t run in to Discord by accident. It had been such a flustering day; she knew she’d be an absolute mess if he saw her like this. She’d probably forget to breathe and die there on the spot…

To her relief, her assumptions were right about Spike. He was sitting out on the castle’s front staircase, scribbling something down on a piece of parchment, likely new ideas for the evening’s campaign before the others arrived. With a determined strut and a deep breath, she made her way up ahead to meet him. She was riding on that high of confidence and couldn’t let it fizzle out before she was through with her mission.

Shaking out a few more of her jitters, she spoke as she neared him, “Um, hi, Spike. Are you busy by chance?”

Spike looked up, a little taken aback to see Fluttershy out so late. Was she standing up right? “Oh, hiya, Fluttershy! I’m just jotting down some ideas for the campaign tonight. Ya know… guy’s night and all. But I can chat! What’s up?”

Fluttershy hoped that she was hiding the knot beginning to creep up her throat, but knew she was likely failing. “Ahem.” She quietly coughed into her hoof. “That’s kind of what I wanted to ask you about. This may seem a little odd to ask, but uh… does Discord ever talk about me with you guys?”

Spike could practically feel his eyes dilating.

“Um, I ask, because I need the information for… um…. his still ongoing reformation!” Fluttershy quickly added. Not wanting to make it seem like she was asking out of her own curiosity.

“The princesses wanted a more personal update and thought it may be nice to know what his opinions are of me as his teacher!”

Spike knew exactly what was going on… He may have been a young dragon, but he certainly wasn’t blind nor foolish. With a gleeful, but sly, smile, he sat his notes down beside him. He was going to answer Fluttershy, and he was going to answer her truthfully. His little shipping heart felt like it could just burst.

“Oh, all the time!” He said leaning towards her. He had always tried to be respectful of his friend’s relationships. He’d let them go at their own pace and work things out on their own, but now he was being given the opportunity to help nudge things along and he wasn’t going to pass it up.

“Oh, oh really?” Fluttershy responded, trying to hold in her surprise.

Of course, her reaction didn’t slip past Spike. “Oh, really, really! Aside from just retelling his most recent chaotic antics, you’re all he talks about when we’re together.” The blush forming in Fluttershy’s face made his heart swell. It was working. “He’s always going on about how thankful he is to have met you, how needlessly forgiving you’ve always been of him, how much fun he has with you.” Spike was about to lay it on thick. “Oh, and your eyes!” He said with a small giggle.

Fluttershy was shaking. Her body was betraying her and her calm and collected little façade was melting away by the second. “M-my eyes?”

“Mhm,” Spike nodded. “Always going on about how he’ll sometimes make random things the color to match your eyes because he misses you or mentions how nice they looked during one of your latest get togethers. Things like that.” None of what Spike was telling her was a lie. Perhaps he was letting too much slip, but she’d asked…and probably needed it.

“Oh, um…I,” Fluttershy stuttered. Her mind was absolutely reeling. She was so flattered, but beyond flabbergasted about what all of Spike had said. He likes being with me, he makes the effort to touch me when we're alone, he does talk about me with his other good friends, and he really likes my eyes? Could he actually? “Oh, my goodness,” she spoke aloud. Both to Spike and herself.

In a brilliant flash of light, Discord appeared at the top the staircase. Fluttershy nearly fainted.

“Oh, Fluttershy! This is such a nice surprise!” He began his was down the steps to meet them at the bottom. “What are you doing here of all nights? Oh, are you here to join our O&O campaign? I know it’s a “guy’s night”, he said gesturing with finger quotes. “But I for one, would adore it if you joined us! You’d make such a lovely druid, and I certainly wouldn’t let anything dangerous happen to you.” He ended his excited spiel by lifting Fluttershy’s hoof up to caress it gently with his other claw.

Fluttershy was in utter shock, a happy shock, but a shock, nonetheless. After all her heartache, she had just connected all the dots leading to the conclusion that Discord may very well feel a mutual attraction for her and now he was here, insinuating that she’s “lovely”, wouldn’t let any harm befall her, and stroking her like a delicate flower. She was beyond elated, but it was too much for her to keep up with in the moment.

“Oh, no no no,” she sputtered, pulling away from Discord’s gentle grip, but not too quickly that he may think he’d offended her. “I wouldn’t want to intrude. I just um, needed to ask Spike something, but I uh…” She finally glanced up to meet Discord’s eyes. They looked almost hurt that she wasn’t staying. “I um… havetogofeedtheanimalstheirdinner! Um… thankyouSpikeandbyeDiscord!” She was speaking a mile a minute, but before either could question her, she was galloping back to the cottage and disappearing into the night.

“She’s acting a tad off,” Discord said as he watched her figure disappear over the hills.

Spike rolled up his parchment with a proud grin spread across his face.

“We’ll talk about it inside.”