• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 850 Views, 10 Comments

Beginning of a Legend: Baldric Gareth - InsaneJustin



A Battle hardened Nordic warrior is "banished" to the void, but to his surprise he finds p

  • ...
8
 10
 850

Chapter 3: Fitting In

Chapter 3: Fitting In

They reach Rarities shop and Sweetie Belle knocks upon the shop's door.

“Sis!” squeaks Sweetie Belle “I got a Favor to ask you!”

The door flies open “Sweetie Belle what have I told you, Oh My Gosh!” The elegant looking white pony looks up in horror at Baldric “Who or what is this dreadfully huge thing behind you?! And why is it wearing leaves in place of wondrous cloth?!”

“Well uh, you see Ms. Rarity…” Baldric is cut off by Rarity

“It speaks too?!”

Baldric raise’s an eyebrow and continues “…I woke up in the middle of what you call the Everfree Forest naked. So I quickly patched together some leaves to give me some cover.”

“Well, that would explain your horrid excuse for clothing darling, but that doesn’t explain why my little sister is with you.”

“Well, on my way out of the forest with a Zebra named Zecora, I happened across these three little ones being attacked by…”

“Timberwolves! And then he saved us sis! You should of seen him in action!” Sweetie Belle does some kicking and hitting motions with her little hooves “It was soo cool!”

“Yeah that’s basically the gist of it, and Zecora told me that you could probably get me something decent to wear.” Baldric put on a big smile

“Well, it seems I will have to make you something decent and of course fashionable to wear. Making it better than your current…” Rarity quickly looks him over “…attire shouldn’t be much of a problem dear.”

The snow white pony tosses her brilliant purple mane to the side and stares at Sweetie Belle “I won’t charge you anything this time around as a way of saying thanks for saving my little Sister, but she’s going to have to stay with me for the time being so I can…” Rarity pauses for a moment “discipline her for entering the forest, again.”

Rarity turns and faces Baldric “It shouldn’t take me too long dear, drop by later today and it should be finished.”

“Gee, thanks Rarity, if you’ll excuse me this little one, Apple Bloom, said we should visit her farm for some apples.”

“Just a moment darling let me get some measurements, I’ve never done anything for somepony quite as large as you, let alone…” she looks Baldric over again in disbelief “as oddly shaped as you are standing on two… feet? That is what those are called correct?”

“Ha! Yes they are indeed called feet Ms. Rarity. Also it’s not a problem I can understand that, I’ve always had to get cloths special made.”

Baldric ponders for a moment. I wonder how she’s going to measure me. She doesn’t have hands let alone fingers, so how does that work?

Suddenly a bluish glow begins to emit from the ponies horn, and then a measuring tape also surrounded by the bluish glow comes from inside the building. Quickly the measuring tape begins to, well; take measurements. Extending out then retracting, then floating back to the snow white pony who would take note of it, then back it floated to take more measurements, until finally it snapped closed.

“Well that should do it, come back in an hour or so and I'll have something for you to wear besides those dreadful leaves dear.” Sweetie Belle gets dragged inside and the door quickly closes behind her.

“Well that was interesting, what was that blue glow I saw?”

“Oh that was just her Magic, all unicorns can use magic related to their unique talent!”

“Magic?! Was she a Sorcerer?” Baldric thinks for a moment, there may be a way for me to get back after all.

“What’s a Sorcerer? I’ve never heard of any pony being one of those, but magic isn’t anything outta the ordinary around here.” Scootaloo thinks for a moment, and then shrugs.

“Anyway let’s just get to Apple acres; I’m getting hungry as well.”

“Good idea” states Baldric

“Yeah! We av the best apples in all of Equestria! Just wait till you get a taste a one, and with a glass of our best cider to wash it down. ” Scootaloos’ mouth drops open, and she runs over to Apple Bloom.

“You still have some cider?! It’s not even in season yet!”

“oohh yeah, I guess we don’t have any. Oh well” Apple Bloom shrugs whilst Scootaloo grumbles in disappointment.

The three head off toward the famous apple farm, and as they travel through the town, Baldric begins to notice how small everything around him was. The young ponies barely came up to his knees; the adult ponies aren’t much bigger, only coming up to his waist. Was he even bigger in this world than his own?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After much stomach growling they reach the edge of the farm. Apple trees to the left, apple trees to the right and as far as the eye could see. Hell, even the mountains nearby seemed to be covered in apple trees.

“Wow, I’ve never seen so many apple trees before” Baldrics mouth begins to water at the sight of so many shiny red apples.

“Yup” Apple Bloom puffs her little chest up “biggest apple farm in all of Equestria, Ah’m sure of it” Apple Bloom beams with a huge toothy grin on her face.

“Applejack, Big Macintosh, Ah’m back!” Apple Bloom runs over to the farm, while Scootaloo and Baldric continue their walking pace.

By the time Baldric and Scootaloo catch up to Apple Bloom, she’s being scolded by a big red pony wearing a wooden thing on his neck and another orange pony with a high-crowned, wide-brimmed hat on.

Hmm it’s probably because she told them she was in the Everfree forest thought Baldric.

Hoping to defuse the situation a little, Baldric speaks up “Hello pony folk!” shouts Baldric “I hope you aren’t being too hard on the little miss, everything turned out just fine after I showed up.” Baldric smiles at them.

“It’s a good thing ya showed up when ya did stranger. Seems the Cutie mark crusaders haven’t learned what danger is yet, especially in the Everfree forest.”

“So uhh…” Baldric Stomach grumbles loudly.

Applejack lets out a little laugh “Ah’m guessing you want some apples then? Since you saved Apple Bloom, and she promised you apples, it seems only fair that you can eat to your fill.” Applejack points with her right hoof “just take as many apples as ya want from the nearby trees, seeing as how uh, tall you are, it shouldn’t be much of a problem.”

“Oh thank you, I haven’t had a good meal in forever it seems.” As Baldric walks over the tree he noticed that the red pony seemed to be a bit bigger than the others. Good he thought, maybe there are taller ponies. Then again, I couldn’t even ride a horse back home. None of them were strong enough; I had to work my legs hard enough to keep up with my men on horseback when we traveled.

An hour and 2 apple trees later Baldric had his fill of apples and walks over to where the pony Applejack was. “Thank you kindly for the apples, but do you have anything to drink? Maybe some milk?”

“Milk huh? Yeah we should have some milk stored from our cows, let me get you a uh…” apple jack thinks for a moment

“Let me just bring out one of the jugs.” She walks into the house and quickly brings out a decent sized jug

“Here ya go”

“Oh thank you.” Bladric drinks the entire jug in 4 gulps “Ahh that hit the spot. Thanks again, but do you mind if I ask a quick question or two?”

“Sure ask away stranger, but I wanna ask you some as well when yer through”

After a quick conversation he realizes he should go visit a purple pony named Twilight Sparkle, because apparently she’s the smartest pony in town, and should be able to help him figure out what’s going on.

“Express Delivery!” Shouts a Gray winged pony with a bright blonde mane. “I have a letter for Applejack here! Its from Pinkie Pie!” She hands over the letter to Applejack and looks at Baldric. “What a strange pony you are, say, why did you shave all yer fur off like that?”

Baldric lets out a big laugh “HAHA! I didn’t shave my fur off; I’m a human so I don’t have fur.”

“Oh, well I have to go now; I’ve still got some more Express Mail to deliver! See you later human!” The blonde pony flies off into the distance back toward the town.

“Knowing pinkie pie it must be a party of some kind.” Applejack reads the letter then exclaims “Why, this is a Party to celebrate a new arrival in town…2 legs… I think the parties for you.”

“Me? Why would I get a party I don’t know anyone here except you and a few others. Why would you give a party to a stranger?”

“Well that’s just Pinkie Pie for you. Don’t worry; you’ll get to meet the whole gang and everyone in town. Twilight should be there and maybe she can help you and answer some questions.”

“Oh that’s good, saves me the trouble of looking. Where’s the party supposed to be? Walking around the town it didn’t seem like I would fit inside any of the buildings here.”

“It says Town hall, so Ah’m guessing in front of the building.” Applejack makes a shrugging motion “you two should head over I’ve got a few things to prep before I head over.”

“Yeah! Let’s go Baldric! Pinkie Pie always throws the best parties!” Shouts Scootaloo as she jumps around Baldrics legs.

“Ha, alright Scootaloo lets walk on over to the town hall, oh we should visit that Rarity pony first and see if she put something together for me yet.”

“Yeah good idea! We can’t go to your welcoming party with you wearing leaves!” Scootaloo giggles at the thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They arrive at Rarities shop and Scootaloo knocks upon the door. “ Heellloooo” she says in a mocking high pitched voice.

The door flies open “Oh just perfect your back! Just in time for me give you the new outfit I made for you. I had gotten a letter from Pinkie Pie inviting me to a party about a 2 legged pony so I’m sure that was all about you darling. Anyway try it on and let’s see how it looks on you.” Rarity floats the neatly folded outfit over to Baldric.

“Thanks Rarity, uhh where can I go change? “ Baldric looks around for a place to hide behind so he isn’t nude out in the open.

“Don’t worry about that darling I had this giant curtain set up because, well I pay attention all details.”

As she finished her sentence a large curtain tall enough to cover Baldric appears and magically encircles him. “You see? It’s just like your own private outdoor room”

“I guess it is, thanks” Baldric quickly tosses off the leaves and dons his new outfit “oh wow it fits really well, better than I thought it would” He looks over himself for a minute… “Are these REAL JEWELS?!”

The curtain drops revealing Baldric wearing a White short sleeved shirt with an embroidered collar and a Shield pattern made from gemstones of all different types. The ends of the sleeves even had detailed embroidery of shields on it. The pants were just as fancy as well; they had some lace at the waistline and at the end of each pant leg. The same shield pattern with gems was on both thighs on the side near his buttocks or his “flank” as they would call it.

“Of course those are real gems dear. I don’t skip any details and spare no expense when creating beauty and grace for a friend, except on some occasions”

Friend? No Baldric thought, must have been a slip of the tongue on her part.

Rarity looks over Baldric examining the cloths she had put together for him “I think it could of used a bit more lace… or maybe some feathers”

Baldric quickly interrupts her train of thought “No no its fine the way it is. I've never worn anything so… extravagant before. In all honesty I never in my life thought I would ever own a jewel of any kind in my life.” Baldric begins to stoke the jewels on his shirt. “However, I must admit I’m not really fond of this frilly stuff, on my pants and shirt, but I guess it goes well with gems, I don’t know anything about grace or beauty, so I’ll trust your judgment.” Baldric Gives Rarity a big smile and says with a tear in his eye

“Thank you so much for an outfit that is too good for a simple brute like me.”

Rarity is a bit shocked at Baldric “Why my dear, are gems so rare where you’re from?”

“Well I don’t know if they are rare, but all I do know is I never would be able to afford them, only the richest of the rich that never see war get to wear gems where I live.”

“War? What is war? Oh my Look at the time! Tell me about this war while we travel to the party darling. Come Scootaloo we mustn’t be late.”

As they travel Baldric tells rarity about his home and what war is in his own view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“A fight that can last for years, between two different kinds or simply because they don’t agree? That’s…” Rarity thinks for a moment

"I can’t believe you came from such a sad world,” she picks her head up at the sight of the town hall “Oh but we mustn’t think sad thoughts, we’re at the party now! So cheer up.”

“Your right let’s just have fun now” says Scootaloo, who Baldric had placed upon his shoulder so they could travel a little faster to the party, as such everything she said was really loud…

“So Baldric we should go meet Pinkie Pie first don’t ya think? After all she did throw this incredible party for you.” Scootaloo smiles at him staring him straight into the eyes.

“Ha yeah, I’ll catch up with you later Rarity, were gonna go find this Pinkie pie.”

“Oh don’t worry dear, it shouldn’t be too hard to find her…”

Baldric looks around and sees all types of ponies, eating food and drinking while talking together with happy faces. The only thing Baldric could think of at the time was I wonder what this party of mine is going to look like…