• Published 18th Oct 2021
  • 3,926 Views, 129 Comments

Legends Never Die - bookhorse125



Sunny Starscout and her friends research Ancient Equestria and how it fell after everything the Mane 6 did.

  • ...
5
 129
 3,926

Lost Memories

“You can’t do that!” Sunny cried desperately. “You can’t just turn back time! There’s no magic that can do that!” Or at least, I don't think there is, Sunny thought. Please let there be none.

“Oh, I’m not really going to turn back time,” the unicorn reassured her.

“That doesn’t seem really reassuring,” Sunny said cautiously.

The unicorn let out a cold, chilling laugh. “Believe me, Sunny Starscout, everything that you’re about to see… well, it’s all because of you.”

He flicked his tail, and the earth pony pulled a lever. A section of the wall rose with a grinding sound, revealing Sunny’s four best friends in the whole entire world, chained to the ground, looking around wildly, trying to figure out what was going on.

“Sunny?” Izzy asked, her voice scared. “What’s going on?”

“Go on, Sunny.” The unicorn whispered, but his voice still carried. “Tell them how you could have stopped it.”

“What’s he talking about, Sunny?” Zipp asked, uncertainty in her voice. She was too tired to struggle much.

“Tell them how you could have saved them,” the unicorn continued, his horn lighting up. The stone lit up green, outlining the craving engraved upon it: a single eye with three small triangles above it with two swirls underneath it.

“Tell them, Sunny.”

The earth pony finally unfroze. “No-”

A blast of green light shot out of the stone and enveloped the four ponies. Ribbons of light left their foreheads and the stone absorbed them. The light faded. The stone sank back into its place. Chains unlocked, and five ponies fell to the ground.

“NO!” Sunny wailed, her voice raw with hurt. Her legs grew weak under her and she collapsed, tears streaming down her cheeks. “No… no, please…” She took a deep shuddering breath, fearing what would come next.

Unicorn!” she heard Hitch yell.

Whatever she had been expecting, just hearing that word made Sunny’s heart break, and unleashed a wave of anger and pain and sadness that she had never felt before in her life, not even when her dad vanished or her quest to bring back magic failed or Sprout destroyed her lighthouse. She opened her watery eyes and saw Zipp pushing Pipp behind her and spreading her wings defensively, Hitch pawing at the ground and snarling at Izzy, who glared angrily at the two pegasi.

“Pipp, stay back,” Zipp commanded, adjusting her stance. “Unicorns are dangerous.”

“Maybe we would be if you hadn’t stolen our magic!” Izzy replied heatedly, her voice contorted into a snarl that Sunny didn’t think the purple pony was possible of making. “On the other hoof, maybe we are as dangerous as you think, because I’m not leaving until I make you pay for what you did!”

Hitch spotted Sunny on the floor and ran over to her, standing protectively over her and glaring at the other ponies. The unicorn, earth pony, and pegasus who had brought Sunny here had disappeared, though Sunny knew they were watching, waiting to see what would happen.

“Sunny, let’s go,” Hitch decided, taking a step towards the door. “Sunny, come on! These ponies are evil and dangerous and they’re probably plotting to eat us for dinner!”

“No,” Sunny whispered. “Hitch, please, no.”

“Look, Sunny I know that you want all ponies to get along and whatnot, but it’s not going to happen,” Hitch snapped, years of dealing with his foalhood friend wearing on him. “This is reality, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner we can move on! Now, let’s get out of here before they fry our brains or kidnap us!”

He grabbed Sunny’s arm and hoisted her up, and Sunny was too much in despair to protest much. The two earth ponies stumbled into the bright hallway, though Sunny didn’t care much where they went. It took all her strength to even walk.

“In here,” Hitch said, opening a door and unceremoniously shoving Sunny inside.

“All right, I think we’re safe.” Hitch withdrew his head from the hallway and closed the door behind him, plunging them into almost complete darkness. “I - Sunny, are you okay?”

The orange mare was still weeping buckets, and was showing no sign of stopping. “Hitch, d-do you remember what I t-told you? About my f-father?” Her voice caught on the word. “H-he was here. The ponies here… they kidnapped him, a-and I think they might’ve…” She broke off, sobbing. “They’ve been working to keep ponies from reuniting.” Her voice had been reduced to a whisper; she couldn’t bring herself to speak louder than that. “Whenever a pony like my father comes along, th-they take them here a-and do something horrible. Th-they erase their memories, or - or something worse.”

“Sunny…” Hitch put a hoof around her. “Sunny, you must’ve had a crazy day. I mean, after the whole Canterlogic fiasco, but… come on, Sunny, you can’t really believe that.”

“I do!” Sunny snapped, suddenly angry. “I do believe it, and you did, too! At least, you did…” She swallowed. “Look, Hitch, I’m not crazy. I know what I’m saying. Those ponies in there… they’re our friends. We went on a quest to bring magic back, and we succeeded, and all three pony tribes became friends again. But then… everything broke, and now… now we’re here, a-and they’re going to erase everypony’s memories so that th-they don’t remember anything that happened…”

“Okay, look,” Hitch said after a while. “I don’t remember a thing that you’re saying.” Was it just Sunny, or did he hesitate when he said that? “And even if it did happen, do you have any proof? You’ve had a pretty hard day…”

“But I do!” Sunny exclaimed as a tiny flame of hope flared up inside her. If it would only work… “I do have proof, Hitch!”

She closed her eyes and concentrated. She thought of her first quest with Izzy to Zephyr Heights, how they met Zipp and Pipp, how Hitch had come after her, how her friends were willing to throw away everything just to stay friends with her. She thought about the station in Zephyr Heights, how her friends had worked so hard to make something so special for her, about the Guardians of Harmony’s castle in the middle of the forest, choosing her and her friends. She thought about Sprout, and how he had changed; Phyllis, and how she refused to let paranoia sink back in; about Alpahbittle, who had been ready to fight for Sunny; about Haven, who had lost so much because of Sunny, and yet, was still willing to side with her.

She thought about the creatures in the forest, wanting to come out of the dark, but couldn’t. She thought of the three fillies who had run away together, just to stay friends. She thought of the Tree of Harmony, and everything it stood for. She thought of everything she had accomplished. She thought of her father, and how proud she hoped he would be.

A warm tingling sensation started in her heart and slowly spread to the rest of her body. Sunny felt… not happy, but at peace for the first time in a few hours, it must be. She sighed and allowed herself a small smile.

“Sunny?” she heard Hitch ask uncertianly. “What are you doing?”

Sunny opened her eyes and saw that the little room she and Hitch were in was bathed in a golden light, and the other earth pony was staring at her in shock.

A pair of golden wings were folded neatly on Sunny’s back, a golden horn protruding from her head. The vibrant colors in her mane were brighter than ever. Sunny grinned. She had tried and failed to summon her alicorn state multiple times since magic had returned and had failed, but perhaps the magic could tell that she was desperate.

“What happened to you?” Hitch yelped, scrambling backwards, up against the door.

“Hitch, relax, it’s just something that happens occasionally,” Sunny teased, now in a much better mood. “Remember when - Nevermind, because you don’t, but when magic came back… it turned me into this. A pony with magic from all three tribes… Is that enough proof for you?”

The sheriff of Maretime Bay cautiously studied Sunny’s wing, gently prodding it with his hoof. “It would be kind of hard to forge something like that…” he cautiously conceded. “But-”

The golden light around them flickered, along with Sunny’s wings and horn. “What was that?” Hitch jumped back again, like she was radioactive. Sunny waited, though her beating heart made her want to freak out like Hitch, but her wings and horn remained solid. “Magic’s unstable,” she told Hitch. “Because the friendship between the three tribes is deteriorating, well… the magic that returned as a result of that is in danger as well.”

“I don’t know…” Hitch said slowly, uncertainty clear in his voice.

“Hitch, you have to believe me,” Sunny cried desperately. “The fate of the world could depend on it. You have to trust me. I am telling the truth. Please, just trust me this one time.”

The stallion looked into Sunny’s shaky blue-green eyes and sighed. “I don’t know what’s going on,” he said, “but I do know that I trust you, Sunny. Are you crazy? Yes. Have I ever been given a good reason to go along with one of your crazy schemes? No… until now. So, yes, whatever, I trust you, et cetera, et cetera, and… Woah, are you okay?”

Sunny’s eyes had filled with tears again. “You trust me…”

“Yeah, yeah, now let’s get out of here.” Hitch opened the door and poked his head out. Sunny felt something flicker inside her, fighting to stay alight before it died. The small room they were in was plunged into darkness again as her wings and horn disappeared.

“Things must be bad,” she fretted. “We’d better get going.”

“Yeah, great idea,” Hitch said, his voice fearful. “Except for…”

“What?”

“For that.”

“For what?”

Sunny joined him, lining her eye up in the crack in the doorway so she could see out. For some reason, the ponies here must have put guards in the hallways. The pink and purple pegasus was walking up and down the hallway, swinging his head from side to side. He whipped around to stare at Sunny and Hitch, and the two earth ponies ducked out of sight.

“Hitch, don’t worry,” Sunny reassured him. “The pegasi don’t eat earth ponies. That one’s just a jerk. Everything that you’ve heard about pegasi and unicorns is wrong.”

“Right.” The sheriff didn’t look very convinced. “Okay, here’s the plan. I’ll distract him. You go undo whatever horrible thing you say they did to us here. I’ll catch up with you later.”

“What?” Sunny looked at him, surprised. “Y-you’re trusting me with this?”

“And I really hope I won’t instantly regret it,” Hitch mumbled. “Here I go.”

He started to open the door, but Sunny stopped him. “Wait, Hitch. Just… just in case… you know, things don’t… work out, um… you’re my best friend. You have been since foalhood, and I never could have accomplished anything if you weren’t there. I know you don’t remember it, but when you came chasing after me and Izzy, it just felt… so good, to know that you cared about me like that. I… I love you, HItch, and I always will. You’re my very best friend.”

Sunny wrapped her friend into a hug, which Hitch returned.

“I love you, too, Sunny,” he whispered.

They stayed that way for a while, until Hitch pulled away and said, “Right. Um. I’ll… see you later?”

“Yeah,” Sunny said, trying to keep from crying. “Yeah, in a bit.”

She tried to convince herself that everything would be fine as her best friend in the whole world left the room. If there was one pony who could pull this off, it was Hitch. As soon as she heard him start talking, she poked her head out, checked to make sure that the pegasus was distracted, and slipped out of the room.

Retracing her steps back to the room with the memory-wiping stone, Sunny stopped just inside the doorway and looked back at Hitch, who was getting into an animated discussion with the pegasus. She saw his eyes flick to her with a hidden message: Go!

Sunny nodded and slipped into the room. Whatever these ponies had done, she had to find a way to undo it - before everything she had built crashed down around her.

Author's Note:

Like I said before, this is my own theory about how the tribes separated, so that's what I'm working with before the canon of the show comes and completely trashes it.

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thank you for reading!