• Published 9th Oct 2021
  • 983 Views, 30 Comments

One Pony Death Punch - Sol Nemesis



In Princess Cadences' darkest hour, a master of ancient earth pony magic emerges to turn the tide. Lost in an era that is not his own, he must earn his place in this world and navigate all the chaos and hi-jinks it brings.

  • ...
2
 30
 983

CHAPTER 12: A Canterlot Wedding - Part I

If I ever lose myself again. You have to promise me you'll do everything in your power to end me.

The wedding of Cadence and Shining armor came back into focus as thunderous applause shook Rocky from his thoughts. His eyes lingered on Celestia as she presented Princess Cadence and her husband Prince Shining Armor to the public. The cheers of the crowd were uproariously loud. Their cheers not only signified the joyous occasion of a wedding, but the healing of Canterlot as a whole from the changeling invasion.

Rocky Road stood in the back of a beautifully decorated wedding hall in a NOT so traditional earth pony garb, in fact, according to Soul Warden, it was closer akin to formal military wear though it differed significantly from the other captains and lieutenants of the guard that he saw around the wedding venue. For one, it was a navy blue instead of bright red like many of the guard in attendance.

A blue and green sash across his chest was supposed to signify earth pony nobility. Rocky declined it strongly at first, but the royal seamstress said that she was given explicit instructions to add it to the ensemble. Above his left breast pocket were two medals. The In Defense of Equestria Medal, and the Exemplary Service to the Crown Award. Thankfully the other medals Celestia wanted to shower on him were optional. As Rocky eyed a pair of old, seemingly retired captains of the guard he noted that their suits were stacked with so much ribbons it barely left room for the suit.

Rocky felt at his mane to make sure everything was still in place. His wild silver mane was trimmed down and groomed to something neat and professional with some excess mane tied in a traditional Tei-Rah-Do knot signifying mastership. HIs tail was also groomed, no longer wild and unkempt but trim and straight, a small knot tying off the end similar to his mane.

The crowd in front of him began to move, following the newlywed couple to the reception hall. Rocky trailed behind careful to stay out of the way of the caterers and butlers serving Hors D'oeuvre and some mysterious bubbly liquid.

"Champaigne sir?"

"Oh? Is that what this is called? Thank you but..." Rocky froze in place as he recognized who was speaking to him. Soul Warden was wearing the same butler uniform as all the other servers and expertly balancing glasses of champagne on a tray with his magic. Soul Warden gave him a small smile and levitated a glass into Rocky's hoof.

"Enjoy the reception sir." Soul said giving a quick bow, before walking back to serve the rest of the guests. Rocky's eyes trailed after him yesterday's conversation ringing clearly in his head.

As I said before. We are a contingency operation. We have no plans to actually kill our beloved ruler at the moment, but we cannot allow another overpowered alicorn to lose her mind and bring about the apocalypse to all we hold dear.

"What the hell am I supposed to do against a semi-immortal alicorn that can hurl the sun itself. I doubt ten masters, nay, even Sun Dew himself could take one on and live." He muttered to himself starring into the golden bubbly liquid in his hoof.

Once again Soul Warden responded in his memory.

Were not asking you to succeed, per say. The Commander and I have several ideas should the need arise. All we ask is that you grow stronger and stronger. Rebuild your clan for the future of Equestria and STAND against her, if ever, the time comes.

Rocky grit his teeth and turned the champaign glass upside down taking down the foreign liquid all in one go. Bubbly as expected. Strong. But not strong enough for his Tei-Rah-Do honed earth pony constitution. He needed more. Some noble ponies looked sideways at him with concern as he gingerly took two glasses from a passing tray and finished them off in quick succession. Still not enough. Rocky sighed. Sometimes it was tough being a master.

"Rock! Hey!"

Rocky's ears perked up as he turned. Flash Sentry approached him wearing a red formal military attire similar to his.

"Lookin good mi'lord! Love the medals. I've got one to!"

Rocky looked at Flash's chest and noted that he had the same In Defense of Equestria medal that he had. Next to it was another medal he did not recognize.

"What's the other one?"

"Oh that old thing?" Flash said feigning boredom and inspecting his hoof. "It's only the Honor Graduate badge! I'm a full member of the Royal Guard now!" Sentry practically danced on his hooves in excitement. Rocky laughed at the display and slapped Flash on the shoulder causing the poor pegasus to buckle under the force.

"Congratulations Flash, you've truly earned it."

"Hay ya I did!" Flash replied doing a heroic job of acting like he wasn't experiencing a throbbing pain in his shoulder. His expression became a bit more subdued as he lowered his voice.

"You really doing okay my lord? I didn't think we'd see you out of the hospital so soon."

Rocky nodded his head. "Flash. Please don't call me "lord." Would that be okay?"

Flash Sentry's gaze lingered on the blue and green sash before meeting Rock's eyes.

"I suppose I could do that for you, though it IS against guard protocol."

Rock chuckled. "Then how about when were out of uniform then?"

"You got it Rock. Anything for a friend."

Rocky's expression grew serious as he held his friend's gaze. Rocky saw the spark of a soldier, a goofball, a loyal friend, insecurity, goodness, kindness, selflessness.

"Flash Sentry, let me make one thing clear. We fought together on the field of battle to defend our fellow ponies. That does not make us friends."

Flash Sentry looked shocked for a moment before his eyes were cast downward. "Oh. Sorry for assuming."

Rocky placed a hoof on his shoulder, much gentler this time. Flash looked up and saw Rocky's smirk.

"It makes us brothers Flash. Battle Brothers to be exact."

For the briefest of moments Rocky Road could have sworn that he saw Commander Hurricane Instead of Flash Sentry standing in front of him, now that he really looked at his new battle brother, the resemblance was uncanny.

Flash Sentry chuckled. "Battle Brother. I like the sound of that."

"So, what does that make me?" A familiar sounding voice sounded from a short distance behind Rocky. Flash Sentry looked over Rocky's shoulder and had to stop himself from dropping his jaw. Rocky smiled and turned slowly recognizing who the that voice belonged to. Unlike Flash however, he failed to keep his jaw from dropping.

"What's the matter my lord? Changeling got your tongue?" Octavia stood before him in a glittering black one-piece dress that flowed over her tail and onto the floor. Her black mane was done in a long braid and draped over her shoulder. A pink Carnation that matched the color of her eyes sat in her mane holding it together. She fluttered them eyes at them gentlecolts who seemed to forget the delicate art of speech.

It was Rocky who recovered first. Clearing his throat.

"Octavia. I... I'm glad you're alright. You look. Um. Wonderful."

Octavia rolled her eyes but smiled nonetheless. "That'll do I suppose. Though it would have been...I don't know...wonderful to have been invited by you in person. Imagine my surprise when Twilight shows up at my door."

"I was...uh...indisposed" Rocky said adjusting his attire. How did it suddenly get so warm in here?

Flash Sentry gave a sideways glance at Rocky Road and laughed at his brother's expense.

"Miss you really shouldn't give him a hard time. He only just recovered from...you know...his spine breaking."

Octavia sighed and nodded suddenly remembering seeing Rocky in the hospital. Motionless. Almost Lifeless. Suddenly, it was Octavia's turn to get all bashful as her previously confident demeanor melted with the remembrance of a single word. "Beautiful."

"I su...suppose I could cut him a little slack." Octavia said suddenly becoming very interested in her mane.

"Thank you for your mercy..." Rocky said looking at his hooves.

Flash Sentry looked between Rocky and Octavia before taking a breath.

I've eaten enough cheese to know where this is going He looked around for an out. ANY KIND OF OUT. His eyes finally fell on a unicorn mare, also known as the best mare Twilight Sparkle. She was walking by chatting excitedly with her friends.

"Excuse me fellas but I just realized that I have yet to apologize to a certain somepony recently. Uh. Be RIIIIIIGHT back!" Flash dashed away from the awkward duo, leaving Octavia and Rocky alone in their corner of the reception hall.

"Excuse me miss? Do you remember me? We bumped into each other at the hospital."

"Buh...wuh...what!?" Twilight exclaimed. The rest of what was said was drowned out as Octavia and Rocky realized that they were alone.

Rocky sighed as he looked at Octavia, considering her carefully. He knew her capabilities, but needed to know more. He also remembered what he put her through on the streets of Canterlot and felt a pang of regret. Octavia on the other hoof became suddenly very aware that Rocky was looking at her but chose not to say anything. Rocky sighed remembering the words of Soul Warden and the mission entrusted to him. It was now or never.

"Octavia. I um. I have something to ask."

Octavia let out a breath she didn't even realize she was holding, and turned to face him.

"Go on. I'm listening."

"Well this may sound very strange for somepony of this time. But, I need help rebuilding my clan."

Now it was Octavia's turn for her jaw to drop. The pink from the flower in her hair began to match the color of her coat more and more.

"Ex...excuse me?!" She said quietly, carefull not to raise her volume in a crowd of noble ponies and party goers.

"Now I know how that sounds..." Rocky said his face also growing a slight shade of pink. "...Please let me explain."

Author's Note:

How I like to Imagine Octavia upon hearing Rock's "proposal"