• Published 27th Sep 2021
  • 264 Views, 1 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Third Story - SapphireRose87



Aside from being the Queen of Hell I have other things to worry about. I have to stop a rampaging clown named Mr. Giggles before he eats all of the citizens of Equestria!

  • ...
26
 1
 264

7) Learning the Mirror Technique

{Betty}

I bowed to Headcouncilman and he motioned for me to stand up straight.

"You know the Mirror Technique?" I asked.

Headcouncilman gave me a kind smile and nodded. "I do. It involves having a calm state of mind and using your tracking powers to see one second into the future."

Dae cracked up. "I'm sorry, Headcouncilman, sir, but uh, I think Betty having a calm state of mind is going to be impossible right now."

"Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with my husband on that one," I admitted.

Dae gasped and his jaw dropped to the ground. I raised an eyebrow. "What's that look for?"

"Normally, it takes a lot for you to agree with me on something. Honestly!" His face fell. “Stop laughing!"

I couldn't help it; the shocked look on Dae's face made me fall over on my back, rolling in laughter. When I stood up, I tried my best to compose myself. I looked at Headconcilman to see he had a look of amusement on his face. "Well, I heard about your situation and I figured it would be best to help Betty out. The calm state of mind is actually the hardest part of learning the Mirror Technique."

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Uh-huh, especially since you're worried about this ‘Mr. Giggles’ at the moment," Headcouncilman said. "There is another reason why I'm the best person for the job of teaching you this."

Headcouncilman took off his robes. I gasped; he's a half-and-half like me! With his robes on, he looked like a normal human. All he had that showed he was a half-and-half was pony wings and a ponytail.

"But you're a-" I gasped.

Headcouncilman grinned. "Half-and-half? Yup, I am. Which is exactly why I'm perfect for the job of teaching you the Mirror Technique. Now, King Dae, if you don't mind, I would like to begin teaching Betty the first step. Could you go to the observation balcony for me?"

Dae nodded and left. Headcouncilman smiled at me. "Now, Betty, I'm going to let you in on a little secret."

"Yes, Headcouncilman?"

"My name isn't Headcouncilman," said Headcouncilman, "it's Sawyer."

"Sawyer?"

He nodded with a chuckle. "Yes, Sawyer."

I blinked. Once I got over the surprise of Headcouncilman having an actual name, I said, "Okay, so how do I start learning this?"

Sawyer explained, "You can do the first step in two ways. The first way is to hover in the air crossed-legged with your wings. The other way is easy for us half-and-half's, that's to use your wings to balance on the water. So, I'm going to teach you the hard way: hovering in the air, crossed-legged."

"Okay," I said.

"Now, you might want to untie your wings," Sawyer said.

I didn't realize my wings were still tied down until he said something about it.

Sawyer instructed, "Sit down crossed-legged and flap your wings until you're hovering about a foot in the air. I think you might finally have a challenge on your hands with this."

I tried to do what he told me to do several times and every time I failed by landing flat on my back. Sawyer seemed to think that it was funny. He just hovered and sat crossed-legged in the air like it was nothing with a smirk on his face. He lowered himself to the ground and when he got up, he laughed at my frustration. I bit my tongue to keep myself from rolling my eyes.

"You'll have to practice for a while until the next time I see you," Sawyer said.

I nodded. "Yes, sir."

With our meeting done, he grabbed his robes and walked away.

* * *

{Norman}


A few days later, Dae summoned me to the Land of the Dead. When we got to the training area, I looked to see Betty sitting crossed-legged and it looked like she was trying to hover in the air that way. "What's she doing?"

"Apparently, this is the first step to learning the Mirror Technique," Dae replied.

"But I thought only Mr. Giggles' family knows how to do that."

Dae shook his head. "Nope. I did some research on the subject and it's just a closely guarded secret."

I watched Betty as she practiced and I couldn't help but think about how amazing she is at everything she does.

"Why are you watching Betty with that look on your face?" Dae questioned, giving me a curious look.

I looked away. "Uh, what are you talking about, Dae?"

He started laughing.

"Okay, what's so funny?"

"You know I hear your thoughts right?" Dae said with a smirk. "I couldn't help myself. That's sweet that you think Betty's amazing at everything she does, even when she fails."

I deadpanned and looked away. "No comment."

"Anyway, we should probably make her take a break," Dae said. "That might almost be impossible at the moment. I would tie her to a chair, but she'd probably just break it and escape."

I snorted; an image appearing in my mind of Betty busting out of the restraints she's tied up in and smashing the chair. I wish I had the strength to do that with the whole situation I got into with Olivia.

We went to get Betty. She had failed another attempt at learning the first step on the Mirror Technique.

"I'll never get this technique down before Mr. Giggles eats half of Equestria!" Betty growled.

"He's not doing that if I got something to say about it," I said. I looked at Dae laughing about something. "Why are you laughing, Dae?"

Dae composed himself. "I think it's funny that you keep giving Betty weird looks lately." He looked at Betty and at the moment she was looking away from me and Dae. "You two really should sit down and at least talk about your, uh, situation."

Betty looked back at Dae and shook her head. "What are you talking about, Dae?"

Dae gave her a pointed look. "You know exactly what I'm talking about Betty!" He then gave me the same look.

"Yeah, I agree with Betty," I said, "I have no idea what you're talking about!"

Dae smirked. "Uh-huh, sure, you don't!" He started laughing again. Honestly, I can't speak for Betty but it was starting to get on my nerves that everyone who knew about whatever Betty and I were feeling towards each other found it funny. I wish they would stop laughing at it. It's not funny. At least, not to me.

Dae looked like he wasn't going to stop laughing. I rolled my eyes. Too bad he can't die from laughing.

* * *

I invited Betty, Dae, and Otis to family dinner night. I worried about her; she was driving herself nuts about learning the Mirror Technique. I wasn't the only one that noticed she wasn't there.

"Why isn't Aunt Betty here, Uncle Dae?" Cozy Glow asked.

"She's learning the first step to the Mirror Technique," Dae answered.

Sunset tilted her head. "The Mirror Technique? What's that?"

"Remember how that clown was able to copy Betty's every move when she fought him?" Dae said.

Sunset nodded.

"Well that's how he did it," Dae explained. "The first step is to have a calm state of mind. Apparently, this can be achieved by sitting crossed-legged and hovering about a foot in the air. It's proving difficult for her to learn."

Sunset laughed. "Looks like the Legend has finally found a challenge."

Dae smiled. "No kidding! But it's getting on her nerves and she doesn't know when to take a break!"

"Yup, that's Betty for you!" Sunset agreed.

I barely paid attention to this conversation, because with my worrying about Betty, I had pretty much zoned out.

"Equestria to Norman! Hello! Anybody home!" Robert said, snapping me out of it.

"Huh, what?" I said.

"You were staring off into space, Dad," Norman Jr said.

I heard Dae's voice in my head: I wish Betty would communicate with you by thought.

You're talking in my head? I thought I thought that was reserved for you two?

Not exactly, Dae thought. Demons can communicate by thought with whoever they want to. I would think that since you're her little brother, that she would do this with you. I told her to listen in and communicate with you, but she doesn't want to know. Probably because of your dirty thoughts about her.

I would say I'm not saying a word, but since we're communicating by thought…

I saw Dae trying to stifle a laugh, Uh-huh, you're not going to think a word? When you think about it, you did think a word, actually a handful of them to be exact.

That is sooo not funny, Dae!

Honestly, Norman, you and Betty need to at least sit down and talk to each other about this. You don't have to sleep with each other to do that.

"Okay, then," I said out loud. "I think I'm done eating now, so I'll just be going."

I could hear everyone laughing as I walked out of the dining hall as fast as I could.

* * *

{Betty}

I stood on the balcony connected to the room Dae and I were staying in while we were at the castle in Canterlot. I wasn't in the mood for dinner; I needed to learn the first step to the Mirror Technique and fast. I almost got it down a couple of times. I lost count after the tenth time, and it was getting on my last nerve. I heard a knock on the door to the balcony. It surprised me to see Norman after I answered it.

"Why are you in my room?" I asked.

"I was wondering how you were doing? I'm also kind of worried because you weren't at dinner tonight," Norman responded.

"I don't think me missing from a family dinner is grounds for worrying."

"I wasn't the only one that noticed you missing; everyone else did, too," Norman said. "Don't you know when to take a break?"

I shook my head and declared, "Nope! I won't rest until that stupid rampaging clown is dead!"

Norman chuckled. "Rampaging clown is the perfect pet name for Mr. Giggles. While I understand your worries, you really should take a break anyway."

"I think I should get back to-" I didn't get a chance to finish the sentence when I heard Dae's voice in my head. I'm not sleeping in this room tonight.

What? Why?

Because you and Norman need to at least sit down and talk about your feelings. You don't have to sleep with each other or be in love. You're siblings and you should be able to just talk to each other.

Fine.

Dae didn't think about anything else.

"Um, Betty, I have something I would like to talk to you about," Norman suddenly had a look of horror on his face. He grabbed a pillow, put it on his lap, and turned away from me.

I gulped. I'm not sure if I want to know. Do I dare?

I took a deep breath and finally listened to his thoughts. I did not just get turned on in front of my sister! Nope! It didn't happen!

I cracked up. "So, that's what that horrified look is about!"

"You're listening to my thoughts now?" Norman asked with a puzzled look.

I couldn't respond because my wings decided to spread out involuntarily. Norman started laughing about it. I tucked my wings back in and Norman looked like he was having a field day with what just happened. "What's so funny, Norman?"

"It's okay, Betty, I know exactly what that means," Norman said. "I asked Fluttershy about it after I became ruler of Equestria. A couple of mares did it in front of me."

"No!" I said, shaking my head rapidly. "It didn't happen!"

I looked away in embarrassment and Norman started laughing again.

"I'm serious, it didn't happen!"

"Yeah, it did. You can't deny something that obvious," Norman chuckled. "Well, that confirms it."

I raised an eyebrow. "Confirms what?"

"You have feelings for me, just like I have feelings for you," Norman answered.