• Published 28th Aug 2021
  • 405 Views, 16 Comments

The Spark Between the Tempest and the Sun - AnimationLover36



Twilight, with the help of Celestia and Tempest, sets out on an adventure to save Equestria for the forces of darkness, but she will discover the truth of why Celestia choose her as a new princess.

  • ...
 16
 405

Broken

The three mares still silent for several seconds, which seemed like hours. A needle could be heard falling from the other end of the castle. Twilight was beginning to freak out over her decision, especially since Celestia and Luna were looking at her with disbelief on her faces. It is true that she needed to say what she thought, but maybe she could have done it differently.

“Ehh, what did you say?”, Celestia managed to ask.

Twilight sighed, partly relieved that the awkward silence had been broken, but also worried that she had to repeat it. This time she was going to try to get it right.

“Princesses, I am grateful that you have thought of me to occupy the throne of Equestria, and I am flattered by that; but, with all due respect in the world, I must decline your request”.

“What?!” Celestia yelled. But she quickly realized that, so she took a deep breath and spoke in a much calmer tone. “Sorry, I mean, why Twilight? What's with this change in attitude?”

“Yeah, I don't get it either. A moment ago, you said that you thought it was fine”, Luna said.

“Technically I didn't say those words… Oh no, I'm already speaking like Mudbriar. Yes, I admit I said I supported your decision, but only because my friends thought it was okay. However, now I have realized that we do not think too much about the consequences”.

“Consequences?” asked the princess of the night, not understanding what she had just heard.

“Yes. What will happen to the School of Friendship? Our duty to teach other species the magic of friendship is something very important. Let's just remember that it wasn't me and my friends who stopped Cozy Glow from removing magic from Equestria, it was my students. In addition, we enjoy our work as director and teachers. Accepting the throne would imply having to give that up”.

“But the others were excited by the idea”, Celestia reminded her.

“Believe me, I know them very well. They have said that because they have been carried away by emotion, but they have not realized what it would mean to leave behind”.

“What do you mean?” asked the sun princess.

“We have our lives in Ponyville, so if we became the rulers of Equestria, we would have to move to Canterlot. Personally, I don't see Applejack or Fluttershy leaving behind their country life to live in the city. Perhaps the rest would do well at first, but I have no doubt that they would miss their life in Ponyville. And if we all felt awkward, we wouldn't be able to rule Equestria properly, so it wouldn't be a year before everypony would want you two back on the throne”.

Celestia and Luna looked at each other. While that theory seemed a bit far-fetched (like the ones Twilight had when she got carried away by her nerves), she also made sense in what she said.

“Also, not just because of the School of Friendship”, Twilight continued. “What would happen to the Castle of Friendship library, the Animal Sanctuary, Rarity's boutique, Mr. and Ms. Cake's bakery, or Applejack's apple farm? Don't you think they would be affected if are we all going? Sure, we could find substitutes to relieve us of their work duties, but what about their family and friends? Wouldn't it be cruel to separate a family?”

"If you're talking about the Cutie Mark Crusaders, I don't see why they couldn't come and live in Canterlot," Celestia tried to explain.

“No offense, but I find it very selfish to make a whole family move to another city, especially when their business and life are going well where they are. Don't you think?” asked the young alicorn.

Now it was Celestia who was starting to get nervous. For many years, Twilight had always complied with everything she asked of her, even when her student didn't entirely agree with her. Therefore, she would normally be glad to see her student make her own decisions and defend her point of view to her.

The problem is that this was not a normal situation.

"Twilight, you couldn't have picked a worse time to be like this", Celestia thought.

“And for the last, Luna”, she said pointing to the princess of the night. “What do you think about this? I imagine you were thinking of training me to raise the sun and the moon, but who will take over the world of dreams? You are the only alicorn that has the power to enter the dreams of others, don't you think you should train me first before giving me that responsibility directly? Or maybe you should find a pony to teach control over the world of dreams”.

“I had planned to teach you that skill, but if you prefer to have another pony help you, we can find a candidate”, Luna said.

“But that whole process would take more than a few days. Perhaps you have already planned everything; but for me, and I think for my friends, it's very little time”, Twilight explained.

Luna was surprised to hear those words. Her doubts about her decision to withdraw from her were coming back to her mind.

“What I'm trying to say, princesses, is that me and my friends need more time to talk about her decision. I know they mean well, really; but this is going too fast, and it is not something to be decided lightly. What's more, I don't even know if we should accept your offer. It would change our lives, and not exactly for the better. We need to talk about it more carefully. That's why I ask you not to make any announcements during the festival”, Twilight finished.

The two princesses looked at each other again. Though she tried to hide it behind her serene face, Celestia's heart was in her throat as her plan fell apart. Normally, she would know what to say in any situation, but now she couldn't get the words out of her mouth. She hoped that Luna would say something that she could make her student change her mind.

However, when Luna turned to look at the princess of friendship, Celestia could see her sister smile at Twilight and nod before speaking.

“Twilight Sparkle, thank you for explaining your doubts to us. We understand your situation, and we promise to give you and your friends all the time you need to think about our proposal before making a unanimous and official decision”.

“Thank you very much. I deeply appreciate it. I'll let my friends know”, Twilight said as she turned to the exit. “Now I'm leaving, see you two in the festival”.

However, she didn't get very far before a real voice filled the room.

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE! STOP RIGHT THERE!!”

The princess froze at the sound of Celestia's voice calling out her full name. She knew her teacher very well; and if she did that, she was going to give him a good lecture.

“Tia, what's wrong?” Luna asked, just as surprised as Twilight.

“Luna, you and I have a pending talk. Now would you mind waiting outside? I must talk to Twilight”, Celestia said seriously.

Partly because of the fear that her sister was transmitting to her at that moment, and partly because she didn't want to provoke more tension than she was already breathing in the room, Luna headed for the door.

“Twilight, good luck; and I'm sorry”, she whispered to her as she walked past her.

Twilight watched as Luna left the room and gently closed the door. She turned to look at her teacher, who was staring at her seriously. The young alicorn was very scared to see Celestia like this.

"Had I said something wrong?", Twilight thought nervously. "I have only given my point of view, and I think I have done it politely and without disrespecting either of them; Besides, it's not like I'd totally denied her request, I just asked for a little more time. It had seemed good to Luna, why not to her?”

Teacher and student looked at each other in silence for a long time. Celestia finally sighed and her expression changed, looking at Twilight sadly before speaking.

“Twilight, I know you'll be scared, I was too at the time. But you can't back down from that”.

“But it's not because of fear… well, it is; but not for fear of inheriting your throne, but for what I lose by this change”.

“I remember you were too when I first sent you to Ponyville, having to separate you from your family”.

“But by then I was a student, I had days when I could come to Canterlot to see them. If I become a princess, then I'll be too busy to meet them. I don't want Flurry Heart to remember me as the absent aunt”.

“I'm a princess, and that didn't stop me from going to see you”.

“C'mon, we only see each other when you can, and that's once a month. I do not want that”.

At this point, Celestia turned serious again and frowned.

“Twilight, you don't understand. You cannot refuse what I am asking of you, not this time”.

The princess of friendship looked at the princess of the sun in her eyes. She could see her frustration in them. Normally that would be something that would make her freeze on the spot. However, the last thing Celestia had said to her made something inside her snap. Twilight had tried to be as reasonable as possible. Luna had listened to her and had agreed with her. But her teacher didn't seem to understand her point of view; what's worse, she just didn't even try.

Twilight did something she never imagined she would do: She spoke to Celestia with an angry expression and a voice that combined seriousness and anger.

“I just did it”.

<>

"Still nothing?"

"Still nothing".

The shadows were still in their hiding place, worried by the apparent lack of progress in his plan. The lioness, Rage, had the ability to feel, and even see, the anger of those around her and in living beings. She was quite a useful power, as the range of this vision could pass through walls. Something very useful to spy on… whenever her target was angry; Otherwise, it's like trying to see with a black scarf over her eyes.

“Is your vision okay? Are you sure you don't need glasses?” asked the snake mockingly.

“I know someone who is going to need a cast if they don't shut up!” Rage replied.

The snake laughed. He loved to annoy others, and since the lioness was easily angered, he was her favorite victim. But the bad thing (for her), was that the others found that part of her very irritating, not just Rage.

“I hold her, and you give her”, said the boar.

“Hey!” protested the snake.

“Don't come with hey Envy. Who asks, receives”, said the toad.

“Do I have to repeat what I told you before, because I will”, Pride said. “Although I agree with you. Sometimes you don't know when to shut up Envy, can you say something that isn't to annoy another?”

“Come on Pride”, Envy replied in a softer tone, and somewhat offended. “I was just trying to make the wait more fun. This is taking too long, and we don't have music, or video, or anything”.

“That's what it means to be patient”, said the bear. “Until it is time to act, we have to wait, and wait, and wait…”

“Okay, okay, we've got it!” Envy interrupted. “But I get very bored”.

“Well, you put up with it, like all of us," said the boar. "Complaining won't move the plan forward”.

“Guys! I have something!” said the lioness.

“Or maybe it does”.

Sure enough, Rage was beginning to see a red figure inside the castle. It was a very light red color. The five of them quickly grouped themselves around the lioness.

“How many do you see?” Pride asked.

“At the moment one, but she belongs to a princess”, he replied. Seconds later, she started laughing. “Oh ho ho, how strong, it'ss from Princess Celestia”.

This began to excite the others. They looked like a group of college kids spying on their neighbors.

“How intense is it?” asked the toad.

“For now, very weak; but they are just starting”.

Pride was the only one who didn't seem happy with the news, and her question made it clear why.

"Don't you have anything from the princess of friendship?"

“Not yet” she replied. “Wait! I see another subject. That way… It's her!, It's Twilight Sparkle! And her anger is much more intense than Celestia's! Wow, I don't know what she said to her, but now the sun princess is just as angry as her”.

The peacock calmed down. Although it was still too early to confirm success, the fact that Twilight and Celestia were arguing was a notable advance. She didn't know what that cat had said to the princess of friendship, but it's clear that she chose her words well.

“My goodness, they are both red as fire!” She said to the point of euphoria. “This is like watching a reality show! What did I tell you? Even the strongest friendships can be broken with a little push. It won't be long now until…”

She didn't finish the sentence. Rage stopped smiling and turned serious; but she would not be angry, but rather intrigued.

“Rage, what happened?” asked the toad. “What have you seen? Oh no, don't tell me they've calmed down?”.

The group began to worry upon hearing that possibility.

“No, not exactly”, the lioness reassured them. “Celestia's anger has dropped steeply, but with Twilight it's something else. Her anger is still there, but it's mixed with other feelings. I see sadness, concentrated in her heart, a very strong one. It's like…”

“Like she felt betrayed?” Envy asked.

“Exactly”, Rage said.

The shadows looked at each other, and then they all looked at Pride, who gave a sinister, satisfied smile.

“So she is already her. Phase one of the plan has been a complete success”, said the peacock.

“Now what?” asked the boar.

“Phase Two”.

<>

A few moments earlier.

Luna was walking in circles around the door. Although her sister had asked her out, she didn't say anything about waiting outside of her. Whether out of curiosity or out of concern for how she might end the conversation, the princess of the night wanted to be there.

She was very worried about Twilight, fearing that now she was in trouble because of her. Is it that Celestia was so upset that she took her side? Sure the two of them had come to an agreement, but Twilight had made a good point. Besides, she had only asked for more time; and truthfully, she couldn't blame her. Being the princess of all Equestria is not something easy. How was she going to be prepared in just a few days?

A noise coming from the throne room brought Luna out of her thoughts. The princess of the night approached the door and carefully put her ear to rest. What she heard made her eyes widen with fear and her heart pound a mile a minute. Her concern had come true, but it was far worse than she could have imagined.

<>

Celestia's eyes widened, stunned by the words she had just heard.

"Twilight, how can you say that?"

“That's what I've been saying for a while now,” Twilight replied. "I've tried to do it as politely as possible, but it seems you didn't understand me”.

Celestia turned serious again.

“Oh, am I the one who doesn't get it? Because as I see it, no matter how much you try to hide it, you are dominated by nerves; And when that happens, Twilight, you don't think straight”.

Twilight gasped at that comment.

“What am I not thinking clearly? Let's see: I'm happy as I am now, fulfilling my tasks as princess of friendship and director, and I have a quiet time with my friends; but you want me to leave everything behind because you want to retire. Oh, and besides, you only give me a few days' notice. Did I forget something!?”

“Twilight! Even if you are angry, I won't tolerate you to disrespect me like that!”

“You aren't respecting me neither. Why don't you understand that I don't want to take your place!?”

“You haven't even tried! How do you know you won't do well!?”

“I just know! I can't choose my future for once!?”

Celestia paused for a moment, before continuing with an angry tone.

“For once, what did you mean by that!?”

“Please princess. Ever since we met, it has been you who has decided my life. Go to Ponyville, become an alicorn, name myself princess of friendship and the element of magic. I didn't ask for any of that!”

The tension increased as the two princesses veered from the main topic of the discussion. However, more than an argument, it was a fight as they were yelling at each other and not even trying to contain their tempers.”

“I did that for your own good!” Celestia defended herself.

“You did it without asking for my permission or my opinion! You made me immortal!” Twilight reproached him. “Do you know what that means?!”

“I know that better than anypony! And if I hadn't made that decision for you, you would have ended up alone and bitter. Did you forget that you met your friends because I sent you to Ponyville?!”

“That was not your intention. You only wanted me to find the new bearers of the elements of harmony!”

“I did it to save my sister! If I could control them, I would have gone instead of putting your life in danger; and I would never have given you a mission like that if I hadn't been one hundred percent sure that you were up for it!”

“But you did, and it wasn't the first time me and my friends had to save Equestria when you didn't want to! And don't tell me it was because you're no longer connected to the elements. There were problems where we could have used your help very well and you did nothing, like the case of the sleeping dragon!”

“All of those were tests to prepare you!”

“Prepare me for what?! To replace you!?”

“Of course! That's the only reason I took you in as my student!”

In that final statement, there was a deathly silence. Everything Twilight was going to say before her died in her throat due to the depth of the answer her teacher had just given her.

“What… what did you just say?”

Celestia brought the hoof to her mouth, realizing too late the pain of the words that had come out of her mouth.”

“Twilight”, she managed to utter. “I… I'm sorry. I don't know why I said that. I was angry…”

But the damage was done. Twilight's mouth was open, her lips were trembling and her tears began to fall from her eyes like a river running down a mountain. Her face was the same as Pinkie Pie's when she yelled at her on the shores of Mount Aris.

“So, our relationship, our friendship, was it all a lie?” The young alicorn managed to pronounce.

Celestia didn't say anything. Seeing her student looking at her with those eyes was like being stabbed in her chest.

“Is that all I am to you?", continued the princess of friendship. “Just somepony to take your place? Your replacement?”

That was enough for tears to start pouring out of the sun princess's magenta-grey eyes as well.

“Oh, Twilight…”

Celestia spread one of her wings, intending to give him a comforting hug. Try, because Twilight stepped back, putting herself out of range of the white wing. Seeing how her own student rejected her in that way was very painful. And what Twilight told her only added salt to her wound.

“That time, when I apologized for lying to you about your acting skills, I told you that you were the most important pony to me; and I was really sincere. All my life I have admired you. When you accepted me as your personal student, it was one of the happiest moments of my life. You were always there to support me and guide me, and that is why I have considered you my first true friend. I believed that, despite all my flaws, I meant something to you too”.

Twilight bowed her head, possibly due to exhaustion from crying so much.

“But it seems I was wrong about that too”.

“No! Twilight, I wasn't serious! You must believe me!” Celestia said, almost pleading.

Twilight looked up. Her iris and pupil filled the entire eye. The little sclera that remained was red.

“I don't know what to believe about you anymore”.

With that said, Twilight enveloped herself in a purple aura.

“Twilight, WAIT!!” Celestia yelled.

But the princess of friendship couldn't stay there any longer and she teleported out of the throne room. Celestia only could stare at the remains of the spell, as the guilt and the grief began to grow inside her.

The sound of the door opening made her glance toward the entrance. There was her sister, who flew up to her and looked at her with a look that combined disbelief, disappointment and anger.

“Tia, what in the world have you done?!” Luna asked, notably angry.

Celestia didn't say anything, just lowered her head in disgust and disgust at herself. She had made a terrible mistake. After this, it would be a miracle if Twilight ever spoke to her again.

<>

Canterlot Gardens was one of the few areas of the castle, and the city in general, that was free of ponies and decorations. That was normal, since from there you couldn't see the sunrise. The only thing that could be heard was the flight of a bird or the scampering of a squirrel. Suddenly, a purple aura appeared in a clearing. When the light dispersed, a young alicorn could be seen, who fell to the ground and began to sob. Twilight had teleported on purpose so she wouldn't have to run into her friends and knowing that at this point in the night there wouldn't be any ponies around to hear her cry.

Although in her there were situations in which she would look for a friend or family member to vent her sorrows, this time she was too hurt, and she just wanted to get away from everything. She couldn't understand how the princess, a pony whom she considered her second mother, could be so callous and inconsiderate, having seen her all along as a pawn for her retirement and deciding her own future for her.

After several minutes, Twilight calmed down a bit, stood up and looked up at where the main square would be. This year was supposed to be another joyful sunrise spent with her friends and family, but she was wrong. She was also wrong in considering the first Great Galloping Galla she attended with her friends to be the worst night ever. This one surpassed her in all aspects.

Twilight sighed and walked further into the gardens, trying to get as far away from the party lights as possible. As she walked, she began to sing as she thought of all the memories of her past with Princess Celestia.

By the time she finished, Twilight had reached the end of the garden, near the castle wall. She felt somewhat better, but very little.

“Now what?”, she told to herself. “How do I tell this to the others? I'm sure I'll ruin their night completely, and they don't deserve to have a hard time because of me. Maybe the best thing would be to tell them that I'm not feeling well… No, it wouldn't work. It will seem strange to them that I leave before the princesses' announce. Oh, but after what's happened, what are they going to say?”

She put her hoof to her forehead. Thinking about it gave him a headache. Suddenly, Twilight heard something move, but it didn't sound like an animal. It seemed like the wind, but that was impossible since she didn’t blow even the slightest breeze.

Maybe because it was night and because she was alone, but that sound made the young alicorn start to get scared. She used her magic to light up her horn.

“Hello?” She asked, moving her gaze from one swim to another. “Anypony there?”

It was then that she thought she saw something move and disappear behind a hedge. Though she couldn't quite see it, she had thought it was something black.

Despite the fear, her curiosity got the better of her and she moved closer, yet with caution. She peered through the hedge, but there was nothing on the other side. However, in the distance she saw a light, and some shadows that indicated that there was a pony or (someone) there.

Twilight went there, hoping she wouldn't have to regret her decision. Most likely, they were royal guards who were making a round. She would let them know that she was there to avoid a possible misunderstanding.

But when she found out who those shadows belonged to, she would realize that she couldn't be seen, or her life would be in danger.

Author's Note:

My gratitude to "Little_Draco" and everyone who follows my story. It encourages me to keep writing. I'll try to work hard so all of you don't have to wait two months for the next chapter.