• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 1,237 Views, 37 Comments

The Story of a Royal Guard: A Change of Seasons [OUTDATED] - Himntor



See: The Guard And His Sword

  • ...
2
 37
 1,237

Lost Memories - Part 1

Back on the walls again. I had to admit it was a bit difficult for my legs, I hadn't been running as much as I used to lately, but it was a welcome change from standing around all day and doing paperwork or waiting for something to happen to start ordering the guards around.

It took a while to get used to the new Captain, but Justice was getting along with the rest of the Lieutenants just fine. He was just as able as Shining Armor at giving orders and filing paperwork, although every now and then he would ask me to handle a portion of it. He couldn't write as quickly as a unicorn could.

One evening I found a strange list in my tent. It listed a number of stars that were on a cutie mark, specifically mine. It seemed to start at 5, and over the course of a few weeks worked its way down to 2. I looked around confused, when I heard a familiar sound come from outside.

I walked out of the tent to find Discord waiting for me.

"You forgot about that, didn't you?" asked Discord.

"I'm not sure I understand," I said uncertainly.

"Well you've had a bit of a condition for a while now it seems. You see this-" Discord conjured a picture of me. "-is what you used to look like."

I took a closer look at it. In the picture my Cutie Mark had six stars surrounding the shield and sword.

"But... I never had any stars in my cutie mark. Are you just playing some trick on me, Discord?" I couldn't remember ever having stars in my cutie mark, but I do remember having some sort of problem related to my cutie mark, which I remember is why I wasn't promoted as the Captain instead.

"I'm afraid not, my little pony. You see, you've been dealing with this for a while. Your cutie mark has been, how do I put it simply, disappearing," Discord conjured a whiteboard with a picture of my cutie mark, but with six stars surrounding it. "You used to have six stars on that flank of yours, but ever since that little incident in Manehatten it's been slowly fading," The stars on the whiteboard slowly disappeared one by one. "Even that shield could disappear any time now, who knows?"

I could hardly believe Discord, but even the small amount of evidence I had a had a hard time doubting. "How...? How is this happening? Why haven't I realized it?"

"It's just how the cutie mark works. When a star disappeared, whatever is left is all you remember having your whole life. You used to know about it, so you kept a list to keep track of them disappearing, but once they were all gone you had nothing to remember about any disappearing stars," explained Discord.

I stood in silence as I processed what Discord was telling me. How was this even possible? Losing a cutie mark seemed like the most ridiculous thing that could happen to a pony, and yet... here I was, not being promoted as the new Captain because of some mystery ailment, and now the Spirit of Chaos giving me photographic evidence. Not the most trusted of sources, but I felt Discord was being sincere, which was strange.

"Why are you telling me this, Discord?" I finally asked. "I would expect this the least from you, that is if it's true."

"Because there is nopony else here to tell you," answered Discord plainly. "And because... I owe you. I'm part of the cause for this happening."

I took a step back. "What?! You're the reason this is happening? Are you just trying to mess with my mind? I knew I couldn't trust you."

"Don't be ridiculous, I never said I'm the direct cause. Do you remember the first time we met?" Discord conjured a smoke screen, it pictured the chaotic scene back in Ponyville, and then it showed me trying to imprison Discord and failing horribly.

I looked at the scene shamefully and nodded. "I remember."

"That was just the beginning. That was the final cord that needed to be struck. I was the one controlling your father and shouting all those terrible things at you, and now you've come to the point where you really are beginning to fail. Now take a look at this," Discord changed the smoke screen to the scene of Canterlot during the changeling invasion. "This was another failure that would only lead to more failure."

The scene changed to the chamber where the Elements of Harmony were kept. I was inside trying to open the door to the Elements when an endless amount of changelings poured into the room. I attempted to fight them off, flying into the air and kicking them away, but was quickly overwhelmed.

I watched curiously, but confused. "But we won that battle. Cadance and Shining Armor-"

"Are the only reason you won. You could have prevented the battle from ever happening, you said it yourself. But you were too slow. For a unicorn who could fly you were still ever so slow." Discord snapped his paw and the scene in the smoke changed once again.

It was the ancient castle of the Royal Pony Sisters on the night of the Summer Sun Celebration. It showed six mares walking into the Everfree Forest and making their way towards the castle, while in the background I was too busy zig zagging around Ponyville trying to figure out where to go. The smoke skipped to the end where Twilight and her friends defeated Nightmare Moon while I watched from afar.

"And we can't forget why this all happened to begin with, can we?" asked Discord.

The scene changed once again to the Town Hall before Nightmare Moon had appeared. Celestia was preparing a speech, when suddenly a dark mist surrounded the room and Nightmare Moon appeared. Meanwhile I was busy outside looking at the sky, too occupied to know what was going on. The scene ended with Nightmare Moon imprisoning Celestia and me kicking open the door to see I had come too late.

"Always the slow but loyal guard," commented Discord.

I took my sword out and waved away the smoke. "Stop, that's enough. I'm done regretting the past, I don't need the guilt of it weighing on my back again."

"Good. Forgiving the past is a good start to getting back your cutie mark, but won't fix everything. You've been too hard on yourself, Sword Shield. Much too hard. I brought somepony that wishes to speak with you, she might be able to relate to your situation." Discorded moved aside and revealed a dark blue alicorn.

I recognized her immediately. "Princess Luna?"

"Lieutenant Shield, it is good to see you again. I believe there is much to discuss, but not here. We will speak in private." Luna flashed her horn and teleported us both to an empty balcony on the castle.

I peered over the wall, able to see almost all of Canterlot and how the golden towers shined in the setting sun.

"Enjoying the view?" asked Luna.

"It's one I've seen many times, though not from a balcony. It's hard to get tired of it," I answered.

Luna walked up to the edge and looked at the view as well. "Indeed. I have seen this many times over the past one thousand years. Even during my time on the moon it was all I could ever focus on. To see it change so much, to grow so large while I was... imprisoned. But I am ever so grateful that my sister was able to continue on and make our kingdom thrive."

I turned towards Luna curiously. "Do your memories from being on the moon ever haunt you?"

Luna smiled. "Not as much as they used to. My sister made the right choice, and for that I am eternally grateful. Had she not acted I would have destroyed Equestria in my jealousy."

I stayed silent a moment. I hadn't ever thought of how life would be if Nightmare Moon had won, I definitely wouldn't have been born. It made me feel a little bit insignificant.

Luna seemed to have heard my thoughts. "Do not feel so low in my presence, Swordulan Thunder Shield. If there is one thing I have learned from being on the moon is that everypony matters, no matter where they stand. If anything, you should be proud. Not everyone has a chance to talk to us Princesses like you have."

"Thanks," I said with a weak smile. "What exactly did you need to talk to me about?"

Luna pointed at my cutie mark. "Your condition. I've seen ponies go through the loss of their cutie mark, but many were able to regain them through friendship and family, but you don't have much of either, do you?"

I looked away. "I don't know anymore, I was never a pony to have many friends. Shining Armor and Cadance were the closest ponies that came to friends for me, but they're too busy ruling the Crystal Empire now. As for family... well, they've more or less abandoned me."

Luna nodded in understanding. "I felt the same way about Celestia and my past friends when they refused my requests for a longer night, and I spent many long days and nights wishing for revenge. There will always time to make new friends and forgive family, but you need to learn to forgive yourself first, which is always the most difficult part."

I took a step back and frowned. "I don't have time for making friends. I have a job to do. I'm loyal to my duties, it's why I rarely take breaks anymore. "

"Consider that choice wisely, you may have more time than you realize," responded Luna.

"As a Royal Guard I can't allow myself to just call it quits for a while just so I can go and make some friends. I have too many obligations," I said sourly.

Luna aggressively stepped forward. "And as a Royal Guard you are to listen and obey your Princess! What do you have to do that could possibly outweigh your own needs? I command you to go speak with the Captain, ask for time off for your own need. I must return to my duties. Go now, Swordulan Thunder Shield."

I was about to object, when Luna flashed her horn and disappeared, leaving me on the balcony. I sighed aggravatingly. I looked over the edge again and watched as the moon took its rise into the night sky.

Without a second thought I stepped onto the ledge and jumped off, levitating my sword into position and transforming it into a surfboard. I swung the sword forward, heading in the direction of the Royal Barracks.

I arrived at the door and put away my sword, shortly walking into the main office. Captain Morningstar was finishing off some paperwork for the day when I came in. He looked up at me for a moment then returned to the paperwork.

"Anything to report, Lieutenant?" asked Justice.

I gave a salute. "No sir. Luna commanded me to come talk to you."

The Captain stopped and gave me his full attention. "Princess Luna? What does she need?"

I sighed. "She told me to ask for time off. I found a note in my tent and learned about my... 'condition'. Apparently I had forgotten about it again. Luna said I needed time off for myself to-" I hesitated to finish. I didn't want to seem like a weak guard in saying I needed to- "-make some friends." Buck, I said it anyway.

The Captain stared at me confused a moment. "Well I can't object to a Princesses wishes, but is this something you want?"

"No... I'd rather keep working," I answered with a grunt.

"Then there's nothing I can do. Lieutenant Shield, you are relieved of duty."

My eyes almost bulged out of their sockets. "WHAT? You're gonna boot me out just like that!?"

Justice smiled. "For the weekend. I'm not that cruel."

I almost punched him. Instead I took off my helmet and shook my head. "When I get back, you owe me big time."

"I'm sure I'll think of something to give you. Maybe your own chest-plate, or a sheath for that sword of yours."

"A sheath would only slow me down, Captain. But a chest-plate sounds nice, maybe with some good blue designs to match my eyes." I had always wanted my own custom armor instead of the stock Royal Guard set.

"Alright, I'll see what I can do. Oh, by the way, I have a message from you. Doesn't say who from." Justice walked over to another desk and picked up an unopened letter. I took it with my magic and opened it up to read. The writing was very disorganized, but it was somewhat readable.

Sword Shield, it's your cousin, Katana. I need your help. I'll keep it short as I don't have much time. I was hanging around Ponyville and was kidnapped by Diamond Dogs. They overheard me talking about that sword of yours, and now they want to trade me for your sword. So please come over here and kick these idiot's flanks before I do.

After I finished reading I crumpled up the paper and tossed it in the trash angrily.

Justice noticed and curiously asked, "What did it say?"

I put my helmet back on. "My cousin's been kidnapped by Diamond Dogs. They want to trade her for my sword."

"Do you want me to send some of my guards with you?" offered Justice.

I shook my head. "No, I can handle this myself." I didn't think having extra guards was going to help anyway.

Justice seemed perturbed. "What are you going to do?"

"Easy," I smirked. "I'm simply going to make them think I actually gave them my sword."

Author's Note:

Discord! Luna! In the same chapter! ALL OF MY YES.
And Katana is back! And more or less in mortal danger. Well not really, I mean c'mon, like Diamond Dogs could hurt Katana. Next chapter is the last and I am gonna try and make it the longest one. This is all taking place right before the Season 3 finale. Next chapter will have most taking place during it. Hold on to your hoofs.

And yeah, the chapter is a bit short... don't blame me (okay, fine, blame me). Just wasn't able to think of much content for it to get further to the end.