• Published 12th Aug 2021
  • 1,804 Views, 81 Comments

The First Equestria Girl - Mani-Roar



The origin of Sunset Shimmer and her quest into the human world (EqG not IRL)

  • ...
1
 81
 1,804

The First Equestria Girl: Ch. 5

Sunset felt refreshed for the first time in what must have been months. A fresh shower and grooming session left her feeling richer than the stores of the Canterlot Royal Treasury. She had unconsciously neglected her own self care for so long that she marveled at how enriching and rewarding a basic daily task could be. At least it should be a daily task, anyway.

She and Tempest shared a dorm room that came with it's own private bathroom and small kitchen area. It was meager housing compared to royal accommodations, but was still pretty good for a school setting.

After her shower, Sunset didn't want to leave the bathroom in the nude, so she wrapped herself in a fluffy towel and waited patiently for Tempest to wash and dry the outfit that the portal had provided her.

"Are you sure you don't wanna just wear some of my clothes?" Tempest called from the bedroom through the closed bathroom door.

“No. I mean, it’s okay. I’ll just wait.”

Sunset had spent three days reading and studying human culture and history. She learned that clothing in this world was not optional the way it was in Equestria.

She recalled her first few minutes on the human side of the portal. When she nearly stripped all of her clothes off in the open. She had been a breath away from commiting a disastrous social faux-pas. One she narrowly evaded by a simple choice of convenience on a whim. She would be sure to be more careful not to upset or offend anyone for the next few hours.

That thought brought her back into an anxious headspace. Yes, only a few more hours and she'd be through the portal and back home. A very turbulent and unwelcoming home, but a home nonetheless.

Suddenly, Sunset was a bit happy to have a friendly diversion before going back. A little procrastination was nice in the face of an impending prison sentence. Maybe she could make a run for it and escape to another city across Equestria. As far as she knew nopony had followed her through the portal, and, if she managed to get out of the castle without being seen, it was unlikely anypony would be looking for her.

"I can't believe this is the only outfit you have. We have got to go clothes shopping for you, girl." Tempest continued on. Although, Sunset was only partially paying attention as her mind went over possible escape routes out of the castle. She had spent most of her life in that castle so the layout was burned into her mind. As well as the guard’s patrol schedules.

"I… I just really like that outfit." Sunset didn't want to have to jump through the portal in Tempest’s borrowed clothes. It probably wouldn't be a big deal, but it felt wrong to repay Tempest’s generosity with theft, even on a small scale.

"Okay, whatever you say. The dryer's almost done."

Sunset looked at her human form in the mirror. Finally getting a chance to inspect a human specimen other than an anatomy chart in a book. She had no cutie mark on either side of her flank. Another stark reminder of the lack of magic in this dimension. She understood why clothes were so valuable in this world. Human skin was bare and furless. The slightest bit of moving air sent a chill down Sunset's spine. Plus, standing upright on two legs put the sensitive reproductive regions basically on display. A pony's fur, mane, and posture served as a natural clothed state that this lanky, oily form didn't have the luxury of. The words "nude" and "naked" appeared often in human texts and usually with a negative connotation. Standing nude herself in front of a mirror, Sunset fully understood why.

Suddenly the bathroom door burst open and Tempest barged in.

"Ack! Close the door, close the door!" Sunset screamed. She feebly tried to cover herself with her towel but fumbled with her dainty arms.

"Sorry, sorry. Didn't know you were sensitive about that. Here's your outfit." Tempest set Sunset's clothes on the black and white tile floor. They were neatly folded with the underwear on top since that's what you'd need to put on first. Tempest shut the door as quickly as she'd opened it, giggling the whole time. Sunset blushed as she snatched the clothes off the floor.

She nearly fell over several times trying to slink her legs into the underwear, but they ultimately came on rather simply. It was the brazier that was the real puzzle. After several minutes of failure, she finally gave up and asked Tempest to help her. Sunset blushing, and Tempest giggling through the whole ordeal, the outfit was finally on. Sunset really did like the outfit. It was an aesthetic she probably would have chosen herself if given the opportunity. The black, rebellious leather jacket juxtaposed against the colorful skirt and shirt that matched or at least contrasted well with her own mane and fur colors back in the pony world.

Sunset's hair was wavy and unruly in a way her pony mane wasn't. At Tempest’s instruction, she was seated on a chair in front of the mirror while Tempest went to work taming Sunset’s hair with a thick bristle brush.

"Ow." Sunset twitched in pain. The brush stuck momentarily in her thick locks.

"I have to get the knots out. Seriously, do you even own a brush?" Tempest continued albeit a little gentler. Sunset winced, waiting for it to pull again.

"I mean, you don't have to get the knots out." Sunset replied with a shrug.

"Your hair is so gorgeous though. I'm super jelly." Tempest ignored Sunset as she continued working.

"Thanks for… this." Sunset muttered meekly.

"Yeah it's no problem, we're roomies now." Tempest simply grinned.

"No really, thank you. I've been going through a lot lately, and it has been really nice to meet someone so kind." Sunset nervously rubbed her left shoulder with her right hand. Tempest smiled brighter as she looked Sunset in the eye through the mirror.

"Well after the concert you'll have to tell me all about it. Let Dr. Sigmund Tempest help you." Tempest imitated a foreign accent to Sunset. "Ya ist gut. You have zee nachtigal syndrome, ya?"

Sunset appreciated the goofy behavior, but the joke and reference was somewhat lost on her.

"Just kidding, I'm not a professional. But, I am a good listener. So feel free to let it all out tonight, for now it's all about the fun times." Tempest finished up with Sunset's hair and signaled that she could stand up. Amazingly, her hair was fluffy, but not poofy. Straight, but also free and wavy at the same time.

"Yeah, sounds good. We'll talk about it later." Sunset felt guilty lying. She wasn't gonna be around later.

She stood up and the two girls left the bathroom. Sunset gathered her backpack and was ready to venture into the final chapter of her short journey to the human world. An interesting, though altogether fruitless journey.

"Oh my gosh! The show started like 10 minutes ago, we gotta hurry." Tempest grabbed Sunset by the arm and hurried her out of the dorm and into the hallway. "We'll have to do the smoothies after the show. C'mon let's go. You won’t want to miss a second of this!"

Once again Sunset was being whisked away by this crazy duplicate of Tempest. She wanted to feel annoyed by being constantly forced to move. But something about this Tempest just let her go along with reckless abandon. Maybe it was because she had no real direction or drive in this world. Maybe it was her connection to the pony world Tempest that led her to trust this human implicitly. Or, perhaps, she was finally letting herself have a little bit of fun.

When they got to the park, a sizable crowd had already formed in front of the outdoor stage. Currently on stage was a plucky looking girl with starry blue hair. She was dressed in a purple cape and “magician” hat. Using a variety of props and instruments, she performed several illusionary parlor tricks for the audience.

Unfortunately, that's all that they were, simple parlor tricks. Sure there were giant puffs of smoke and strategically timed fireworks to add a bit of showmanship flair, but Sunset knew that this "magic show" probably wasn't going to lead to any real magic. And having it confirmed for her on the spot like this was still just as disappointing as learning about the lack of magic from the books in the library. As the "magic show" wrapped up, the ego of the audacious performer projected out to the audience even louder than her voice.

"Thank you ladies and gentlemen. For you have been privileged to witness first hand the Great and Powerful Trixie!" She rolled her "r" a few too many times in her name "Trixie."

"Huh," Sunset scoffed. "What would you know about power?" She muttered under her breath. It was one thing to be without magic. It was another to see it mocked in front of her. The audience applauded modestly, yet fairly enthused. The show had been competent enough to entertain. Certainly a nice pre-show to the main event.

"Ooh I can't wait" Tempest bounced up and down and clapped her hands together. The crowd had gotten bigger since the two of them had arrived. The viewing area in front of the stage was standing room only and everyone was crammed shoulder to shoulder. A few people were holding cardboard signs, decorated with hearts and glitter. And a slow chant of the band’s name was echoing amongst the more enthusiastic fans - urging them to the stage.

Sunset thought the halls of Canterlot High School were uncomfortably packed, but this was another level entirely. In such close proximity, she was in range of the breath and scent of way too many individuals. Even in a dense crowd, a pony standing on all fours afforded a certain amount of personal space. But humans could only stack on top of each other like rows of sardines. It was a level of claustrophobia that Sunset was unprepared for and didn't appreciate. She looked behind her, trying to find a way out or make a hasty exit, but she was locked in by bodies on all sides. Tempest was only one of several people in direct physical contact and it caused her to tense every muscle in her upper body. She tucked in her arms trying desperately to take up as little space as possible.

Tempest let out an excited and loud “Woo!”

Sunset smirked at her. Clearly, she was super excited for whatever was about to happen.

Tempest leaned over and spoke into Sunset’s ear, “You're gonna love this!”

Sunset's smirk brightened, as she nodded her head in agreement.

Although, the cluster of bodies was still uncomfortable, and, to make matters worse, someone near her clearly hadn't taken time to shower recently. The atrocious smell combined with the uncomfortable squeeze she was in put her mind in a cycle of revulsion, then panic, then back to revulsion. Oddly enough, this confusion of her senses kept her from dwelling on one negative too long and she was able to carry on without slipping into a mild panic attack. She could hardly blame whoever the source of the body odor was. If Tempest hadn't thrust her into the shower just a little while ago, the offender would have been Sunset herself. In the humid afternoon on a late summer day, Sunset could already feel the sweat building up on her back and face. It felt like her refreshing shower was being undone in a matter of seconds. But no one in the audience seemed to care, as all eyes were glued to the stage. There was an excited murmur of anticipation as the stage was reset for the much awaited concert.

The stage itself was about five feet above the ground. The skirt was decorated with a simple black curtain, hiding the under belly of the raised platform. Several speaker towers, some as tall as the stage itself, were set upstage, flanking the overall set up. In front of the speakers sat a drum kit and three microphones on stands at the very front edge of the stage.

The crowd erupted with ear-splitting cheers as shadowy figures began to move out onto the stage. Each shadow carried some sort of an electric guitar, except one who took their seat behind the drums.

There was a clicking of wooden drumsticks, counting them in, and then the stage lights came up. Nothing could have prepared Sunset for the sound she experienced.

She always liked music. Most of her concert experience was seeing the Canterlot Philharmonic Orchestra perform and other “high class” art forms of music. Growing up, she had heard some pop music played in Equestria, but never put too much thought into it.

The wave of sound that blasted out shook Sunset at her core. It felt like every cell in her body was vibrating. The noise sounded like electronic distortion mixed with the sound of heavy machinery. Each down beat cut into her soul like a savage bludgeoning with a blunt instrument on her heart and ear drums. It came out rhythmically and at a fast tempo. A distinguishable melody rose above the muddy waves of distortion. A forceful organization cutting through the chaos. The drummer rolled on the snare and each tap of the psychotic paradiddle felt like Sunset was being militarily assassinated with music. Cymbals crashed and her vision blurred with sensory overload. It was an experience she was convinced should have been exceedingly painful. But it wasn't.

It was thrilling.

She found her head bobbing to the beat involuntarily. All around her she could see and feel the rest of the audience doing the same. Was this some sort of tribal ritual that these humans partook in? It felt like being hypnotized into a frenzy. Perhaps this was the magic of humans after all?

Finally the main singer moved center stage and grabbed the microphone firmly into his fist as he belted into it. Unlike the rest of the music, his voice was melodic and soulful. There was a gentle strength in his voice that was stark and engaging when juxtaposed against the harsh accompaniment.

"Oh my God. Flash Sentry's voice is so gorgeous!" Sunet heard Tempest cry out in her right ear.

Flash Sentry bellowed passionately. His blue hair was quaffed back with messy edges. A red and white electric guitar slung over his shoulder by a strap and dangling low over his waist. His slender form showed through his tight blue jeans and snug fitting shirt. An unzipped black hoodie hung loosely over his shoulders, covering some of his upper body, but accenting his shirt that showed a yellow lightning bolt symbol over a blue shield worn proudly on the center of his chest.

Then the song’s chorus came and his demeanor shifted drastically. He ripped the mic off the stand and clutched it in both hands. He rocked up and down as if he was in combat with the mic as he sang. Except it wasn't really singing anymore. He was screaming into the microphone.

Sunset felt something primal go off in her head as the blue haired performer wailed. Every ounce of suffering that she felt, especially recently, boiled to the surface. Her rage and frustration exploded in front of her along with the screaming of Flash Sentry. She pictured Madam Bishop, the miserable old mare who ruined her life. She could feel the music attacking her ex-teacher in her mind. All the criticism and unkind words she had spoken to Sunset over the years, spilling back on her in an audible, psychedelic comeuppance. She relished in the catharsis of the moment.

But her mind didn't stop there.

Another mare entered the cross hairs of her imagination. A much taller and more regal mare. Sunset tried to steer her mind away from thinking it, but it only made the vision stronger. She pictured Princess Celestia in all her royal splendor seated on her throne high above everypony else. This was the mare who truly ruined her life.

Yes. Everything was her fault. The music only made it feel real and brought her emotions to the surface.

Sunset gave in to her negative thoughts as she let the music barate Celestia. Letting Flash Sentry's screams become her own. She flung her hands into the air and shook her head up and down so hard her hair flew wildly like a battle flag waving sharply in the heat of combat.

Sunset's trance was broken when someone bumped into her shoulder. She opened eyes that she hadn’t remembered closing, but couldn't tell which person in the crowd had bumped into her. Then she felt the body weight of someone else leaning on her. Reading the situation, she saw what was a domino effect of multiple people leaning into each other and the cascade had reached Sunset. She was afraid she would fall over and be crushed by dozens of others.

"Mosh pit!" Tempest’s familiar voice cut over the pounding music. People started shifting and rushing forward. Sunset struggled to keep up with them at risk of being pushed over. Despite the massive push of bodies, a circular opening was created in the middle of the crowd. Several insane individuals jumped into the gap and started thrusting themselves at each other and shoving at anyone they happened to fly into.

What is happening? Sunset was baffled. Was a fight breaking out? No one else seemed to be concerned by the situation. People on the edge of the circle were smiling and cheering. Those in the center continued to recklessly throw themselves at each other.

Humans were nuts. But, with the pounding music pulsing all around them, the scene kind of fit. Her eyes flicked to the stage. The band seemed unphased by the thrashing mob. In fact, it seemed to hype them up even more.

Sunset twisted around to find Tempest again amidst the insanity. "What is happening?" Sunset gripped Tempest's shoulders tightly, trying to maintain stability.

"Is this your first live show?" Tempest gasped with realization in her eyes. She grinned with increasing excitement. "You've got to get in there!" She nudged Sunset in the direction of the monstrous pit of crazy people.

"No way, I don't wanna fight anyone." Sunset shook her head vigorously. She timidly stared at the coliseum of combat in front of her.

"Oh come on, it's not fighting. It's just for fun. Live a little!" Tempest pushed her way forward and joined in the chaos. She shoved random strangers and collided with people in mid air.

Sunset looked up at the band again. Flash was still belting away on the microphone. None of the band members were reacting to the crowd's behavior. Everyone was carrying on like this was a completely normal thing.

Sunset took a deep, slow breath and stepped towards the edge of the circle. Before she returned to Equestria, there was no harm in learning about the culture and customs of this human society. Even if they seemed senselessly violent and reckless.

She snuck herself into the ring and, with both hands reluctantly in front of her, she gently nudged the nearest guy who had his back to her. He didn’t even turn around to look at her. He just launched himself backwards and plowed his shoulder blades right into Sunset's face. She was completely caught off guard by the blind counter attack and immediately lost her balance. She tumbled to the grassy floor of the park, barely able to get her arms out in front to break her fall.

Sunset covered her face with her arms, certain she was about to be trampled by dozens of strangers. She waited for several eternal seconds, but the stampede never came.

"You ok?" An unfamiliar voice called down to her. She moved her arms away and slowly opened her eyes. There she was surrounded by people on all sides. Each of them bent over at the waist and extended a hand to her. She grabbed the nearest one and the rest of the group took that as their cue. They all grabbed her by the hand, arms, and shoulders and lifted her off the ground. The collective pull of everyone's strength made her feel weightless as she was launched back to her feet. She felt a few pats on the back and shoulder rubs as perfect strangers threw out well wishes like,

"There you are."

"Careful now."

"Up ya go."

"You good?"

Then just as suddenly Sunset was lifted up, the pushing and jumping started up again.

And, just like that, Sunset understood. It wasn't combat or some kind of dark ritual. Sure there was a tiny bit of pain involved, but nothing unbearable. Pure adrenaline took care if it anyway. All in all, it was just kids messing around. Like how she and Tempest, pony Tempest, used to do back at Celestia's school together.

Sunset jumped back into the circle and threw her body weight into the crowd. This time she was ready for the push back and adjusted to the ebb and flow of the group chaos. She smiled as she shoved was shoved back. As the band powered through several more songs, Sunset found herself engrossed in the live show. Forgetting about life for a while, she couldn’t see or feel anything beyond the sea of human bodies and the music. Finally, letting a little bit of fun back into her life.

****