• Published 12th Aug 2021
  • 1,804 Views, 81 Comments

The First Equestria Girl - Mani-Roar



The origin of Sunset Shimmer and her quest into the human world (EqG not IRL)

  • ...
1
 81
 1,804

The First Equestria Girl: Ch. 2

Tempest bounced into the room where Sunset was studying. The Canterlot Library had numerous back room offices furnished with desks, lamps, and writing materials. A perfect setting to quietly read and study. Tempest's boundless energy filled the room with noise and kinetic energy fast enough to shatter the sound barrier.

The auspicious pair of mares were young adults now. Ever since the two mares met as fillies in kindergarten, Tempest always managed to brighten up Sunset's day with her casual antics. Sometimes at the cost of Sunset's sanity.

“Found you!”

Sunset looked up from her mountain of unraveled scrolls. How did Tempest always manage to find her? Whatever magic she used, it needed to be bottled up and used to solve missing pony cases.

“Why don’t you take a break?” Tempest urged playfully. “Oh! That new fizzie soda cafe opened last week. Let’s go check it out. I hear they have this crazy...”

“I can’t, Tempest. I’ve got five scrolls to write on the classical period of Equestrian History. Plus another three on potions. Then I need to re-read the books on Magic Based Civil Engineering for the midterm on Thursday. And then I need to meet with my professor on the corrections he made to my last four scrolls on Coltpernicus' Theory of Astrological Movement.”

“Sunset, you seriously need to get away from all…” She gestured to the mountain of paper. Some of them were on the floor. “...this.”

Sunset all but ignored her, so she tried another tactic.

“Can’t you take one night off…?”

“I don’t have one night.” Sunset fired back, using her magic to unravel another scroll in front of her face. “I’ve got to keep working, or I’ll fall behind.”

Tempest swiped the scroll out of the way. “Oh, come on Sunset, please? I never see you anymore. I know this is important, but you’ve also got to live a little.”

Sunset’s face fell slightly, and Tempest knew she was slowly wearing her down.

“How about just a few hours? Then you can go right back to work.” She persuaded hopefully.

Feeling a pain of guilt, Sunset focused her eyes on the scroll’s words, even though she wasn’t reading them.

“But… I have so much to…” She countered weakly.

Tempest slammed her front hooves on the table, leaning over the parchment.

“Just a few drinks then?” She asked, although she had a sly smile on her face.

Sunset tried not to smile, but it was hard to ignore her friend. Instead she coughed slightly and turned away.

“I’m sorry, Tempest. I wish I could…”

“One drink?” Tempest offered.

Sunset glanced up. Certainly one drink couldn’t hurt?

“Just one?” She questioned, wanting Tempest to agree.

Tempest’s sly smile widened. “How about three?”

“One.”

“Two?”

“One.”

Tempest settled back on her four hooves. “You drive a hard bargain, Sunset. Okay, deal. If it’ll get you out of this dusty old library and out into the land of the living.”

She strolled over to the other side of the table, giving Sunset a friendly push in the flank with her head.

“You’re buying though.” Sunset scolded as she allowed herself to be pushed towards the library door.

Tempest continued to bump Sunset to keep her moving. “I’ll buy our first round.” She confirmed, and held the door open as Sunset passed through.

“And then you’ll buy your first round. That way we both get two.”

****

Sunset glared intently at the potted thorn brush plant on the table in front of her. Her final exam of her final year in Celestia’s school had finally arrived. Years of training and study were culminating in this single moment. Entire unicorn careers had been made or broken at the final exam. At least that's how the legends went.

She focused her magic energy, preparing a spell of significant magnitude. Seated to her right in the Canterlot School for Gifted Unicorns gymnasium were three prominent unicorn professors ready to judge the outcome of her spell with strict scrutiny. In the center of those judges sat her least favorite professor from Kindergarten all those years ago, Madam Bishop.

"I remind you, Miss Shimmer, that while this exercise is not timed we do have other students to assess. So if you could kindly carry on with it please." Madam Bishop tapped her clipboard with her quill. The professor to her right, a lanky grey stallion with a quaffed black mane, tilted his head towards Bishop.

"Well I for one am fascinated to see Miss Shimmer's progress this year. It wasn't long ago she was breaking records in my class. I think we can stand a little bit of waiting." He rubbed his quill against his cheek.

A mild red light radiated from the spikey plant. Sunset took in a deep breath and closed her eyes.

"Ooh, a growth spell. She's showing what she learned in my class." The mare to Bishop's left set down her clipboard to clap her hooves together a few times. She was younger than most of the professors teaching at Celestia's school. Her fur was light yellow with a pale violet mane.

Sunset's eyes shot open and a magic ray blasted from her horn onto the glowing plant. In an instant the plant blew up in size and continued to grow exponentially. The clay pot shattered and the table it rested on buckled and collapsed to the floor. In a matter of seconds, the trunk of the plant reached up to the ceiling of the gymnasium nearly 15 meters high. Not satisfied with the results, Sunset furrowed her brow and shot more magic into the erupting overgrowth. The monstrous vegetation shook the entire gymnasium as it's expansion pushed against the ceiling causing the metal rafters to split as it punctured a gigantic hole straight through the roof. By the time Sunset finally relented, the formally potted plant was half the size of the gymnasium and sticking out almost double the height of the ceiling. Twisting vines had spread out wildly around the open court space and outside into the Canterlot Gardens as well. The panel of judges' mouths hung agape as pieces of plaster and debris calmly trickled down from the ceiling. Letting out a huff of satisfaction, Sunset flipped her mane behind her shoulder and smiled at the judges, her former professors.

"Outstanding," The grey stallion exclaimed, "The spell was simple enough, but I've never seen a power scaling of that magnitude from a student." He looked over to his yellow colleage, who had yet to peel her eyes away from the green spiked gargantuan plant.
"What say you, Pixie Dust? This is your area of expertise."

"The concentration required for this is unfathomable. Normally I would expect it to take 5… no 6 unicorns well versed in organic manipulation to create something like this from such a tiny starting point." Pixie Dust looked at Sunset with a crooked smile and shook her head in disbelief and wonderment. "Sunset you never cease to amaze me."

Sunset beamed at the compliments and gave a little bow. Madam Bishop cleared her throat rather loudly, drawing everypony’s attention back to her.

"Miss Shimmer, please exit what is left of our once functional gymnasium as we assess your score in private." She shot nasty glances at both of her colleagues. Sunset pranced out of the gym light a feather. She was more than pleased with the results of her work. As she exited the gym doors, she saw a familiar blue face waiting for her. Tempest held her hoof over her mouth and couldn't stop herself from giggling.

"Oh my Celestia, you scared the Timberwolves out of me. Haha, when I felt the ground rumble, I thought the school was under attack or something. But then your stupid tree busted through the roof and I just lost it. That's the funniest thing I've ever seen you do." She walked over to Sunset and wrapped her hooves around her shoulder, delighted with her friend’s accomplishment. Sunset let out a reserved laugh of her own.

"Sorry to scare you, Tempest. I knew I had to go big for my final year. Mad Mare Bishop keeps making these final exams harder and harder for me." Sunset breathed a sigh of relief, happy it was about to be over.

"Do you think you won her over this time?" Tempest glanced back at the dilapidated gym.

"Doesn't matter, I've got the other two professors wrapped around my hoof."

Tempest looked surprised.

"Ooh really? I thought professor Saturn was hard on you in 2nd year?" Sunset shrugged her shoulders and smirked.

"Yeah but he's always loved me, just like everypony else…"

"Except Mad Mare," they both said in unison.

"Jynx! You're cursed now and only I can break it." Tempest broke away and pointed right in Sunset's face. Sunset rolled her eyes, but her smile brightened as she played along.

"Okay and what do I have to do to break the curse?" She tapped her hoof against the grass. Tempest turned to look at the Canterlot Garden groves and then spun back around in a quick frenzy.

"You have to answer one question truthfully, if you lie, you're cursed forever." She grinned smugly and stuck out her tongue.

Sunset threw up her hooves in defeat. "Ok you win, Tempest. Fire away."

"Who is your favorite pony in all of Equestria?"

Sunset’s mind immediately went to Celestia. She looked away from Tempest and muttered, "Uh… um…"

"Is it really that hard of a question?" Tempest laughed, taking Sunset's hesitation as her playing coy.

"You are," Sunset pointed to Tempest, "duh, what pony else would be?" She shrugged her shoulders.

"Ding, ding, ding," Tempest hopped over to Sunset and gave her a big hug, "That's the correct answer. Ok you're not cursed anymore." She stepped back and waved her hooves around like she was clearing away fog.

"Yeah, that's a relief." Sunset kept smiling but looked away again.

The doors to the gymnasium swung open and professor Pixie Dust stepped outside.

"Sunset, we're ready to discuss your scores with you." She smiled and held the door for Sunset as she confidently walked back into the comically torn apart gym with what looked like a wild beanstalk sticking out the top of it. She patiently waited as professor Pixie took her seat. There was a moment of awkward silence before finally, Madam Bishop spoke.

"Miss Shimmer, I have your final grade in front of me but first let me say this." Madam Bishop removed her thin angular spectacles and rubbed her forehead. "Your magic is incredibly powerful, nopony can deny that. However, it is my opinion that you lack control, finesse, and common sense when it comes to its practical applications. You are like a small foal that has been given use of a piece of heavy machinery. You've learned to pull the levers and push the buttons to make the machine work but you have no appreciation for how it works or why. You are reckless in your efforts as has been made abundantly clear by this… this… monstrosity you've created. And frankly I believe you have no respect for the finer arts and science of magic whatsoever."

Madam Bishop put her spectacles back on and briefly glanced at her two colleagues.

"Unfortunately, it seems I have been outvoted. You pass. Congratulations, Miss Shimmer, you will graduate from Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns."

Sunset couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. She was free. With her graduation, Madam Bishop would no longer have any control over her life. She knew they would inevitably keep seeing each other around as she was also the head advisor to Celestia, but her personal tutelage with the Princess was out of her least favorite teacher's purview.

Bishop scoffed at Sunset’s satisfied look, glanced at the state of the gymnasium, and decided to make one final critique.

"Do you even have any concern for the collateral damage you have caused to the school? How long it will take to repair this facility?" She shook her head in frustration. But Sunset had one more trick to show her old teachers.

"Oh don't worry, I can fix this." She conjured a spell, but this one didn't cause her horn to light up with a calm magical glow. This was a dark aura that spread from her horn like a creeping disease. It felt like the air was being sucked out of the room as a bleak magenta haze slowly covered the enormous plant and roof of the gym. The professors looked horrified as the massive vines shrank. Except they weren't shrinking exactly, they moved in reverse order of how they originally grew. The ceiling tiles flew back up and mended into place. The metal rafters bent back into shape, regaining their structural integrity. The plant returned to its former size as the table stood back up on its legs and the shattered pieces of the clay pot reformed around the base. Everything from Sunset's final exam spell had been perfectly reversed.

Pixie Dust started shaking in fear as she stared at the now small plant. Professor Saturn's eyes were fixated on the mended ceiling as he frightfully whispered,

"Temporal magic." He glanced briefly at Sunset but then turned away in silent shame.

Madam Bishop marched briskly up to Sunset and slammed her hoof on the table causing the potted plant to shake a little.

"Who taught you that spell?" She demanded.

Sunset leaned back not wanting Bishop’s face right up in hers.

"I… I learned it from a scroll," she meekly admitted.

Bishop hit the table again.

"That magic is forbidden." She spat out with venom on the last word.

"I… I… didn't know I…" Sunset pleaded.

"You didn't know!?" Bishop interrupted. "You read the secret scrolls of Star Swirl the Bearded and you didn't even know they were forbidden?" Her gaze pierced straight through Sunset. Sunset hadn’t been this terrified of the old mare since kindergarten.

"Even if I were to believe you, we do not accept excuses at this school. Especially ones as weak as that." Bishop reprimanded Sunset with the intensity of a royal judge reading his ruling.

Sunset looked to the other two professors for help but Saturn was avoiding her gaze. Pixie buried her head down in her hooves, covering her eyes.

“I’m sorry…” was all Sunset could think to say. Celestia had shown her the secret scrolls of Star Swirl.

Why didn’t she warn me? I would have obeyed

“I will be calling a school committee to meet and determine your punishment up to and including expulsion." Madam Bishop stated coldly. "You are dismissed, Miss Shimmer.”

Hanging her head, Sunset walked towards the exit door. The gymnasium was completely silent except for her hoofsteps clacking quietly on the floor. Once she was outside, the glare from Celestia’s sunlight felt brighter than usual, irritating Sunset’s eyes. Tempest Dream trotted up gleefully to the gloomy mare.

“What happened? How’d it go?” Tempest’s smile faded as she noticed Sunset’s slouching demeanor.

“I don’t wanna talk about it,” She avoided Tempest’s eyes and just kept walking away slowly.

“Was it really that bad? That’s not fair. That spell was amazing, and you even made it disappear. What happened to the plant and the gym? How did you do that? Why would Mad Mare fail you? I’ve never seen magic like that in my life.” Tempest rambled. Her incessant questions rattled around Sunset's head like bees.

“Shut up!” Sunset snapped and Tempest froze in shock of the outburst. Sunset was mildly shocked by the intensity of her own voice. Tempest looked as if she had been physically wounded by her words.

“I just want to be alone right now,” Before her friend could respond, Sunset darted off towards the Castle.

Why mom, why didn’t you tell me?

She kept repeating it in her head over and over as she ran.

I didn't know. I swear, I didn't know

When she finally got back to her room, she slammed the door shut, leaped into bed, and buried her face in the pillows. Within seconds her main pillow was soaked in tears. She cried for so long that she lost track of time. She was reliving the moment in her head on repeat. The moment Mad Mare got her last laugh. This is what Bishop always wanted: to be proven right. And Sunset had given the victory to her. Her other teachers, teachers that loved her and sang her praise, couldn’t even look at her now.

Is this how everypony is gonna react when they find out? What about Celestia…?

“Sunset?” A calm and familiar voice called out for her, breaking her chain of disheartening thought. Celestia entered Sunset’s room and closed the door behind her. The tear stricken mare looked up from her pillow. Celestia always looked the same no matter what the situation. She was calm, regal, and even tempered, the perfect ruler and dignitary. But for once Sunset wished she would show just a little bit of emotion.

"What happened? What did you do?" Her voice was calm but it still sounded like an interrogation.

"Nothing, I just did my exam." Sunset shoved two pillows over her head so she didn't have to look at the Princess.

"Nothing? They told me you performed dark magic, that's hardly nothing." Celestia stepped closer to Sunset’s bed.

"I didn't know it was dark magic, Star Swirl never added a disclaimer saying, 'Warning: dark magic do not cast.'" Sunset could taste her humid breath on the moistened pillows.

"Every scroll locked in the Star Swirl the Bearded wing of the library is forbidden magic. I told you this."

Sunset shot up from under her pillows and pointed accusingly at Celestia.

"No, you never said they were forbidden."

Celestia looked taken aback by the sudden accusation.

"Of course I did," she replied with some attitude. Her expression was furious. Sunset felt a small bit of satisfaction that Celestia was actually getting worked up about something.

"Wrong. I remember exactly what you said. You said," she flipped her tone into a mocking impression of Celestia's voice and cadence, "'These spells are ancient and powerful, they are not to be taken lightly. Only the most trusted of ponies have access to their contents.'"

Celestia waived her hoof in frustration, dismissing Sunset's mocking tone.

"And you thought that meant you could just cast them willy nilly?

Sunset tossed a pillow at Celestia. It caught the princess off guard as it bounced off her nose and landed on the ground.

"I thought I was one of the trusted ponies," Sunset screamed back. Celestia said nothing. The two mares stared at each other silently for what felt like ages to Sunset.

"Am I one of the trusted ponies? If not then why did you even let me see the scrolls? What am I?"

Celestia wanted to answer but she looked away and hesitated. She shook her head and finally said,

"E-Even so, those spells are too dangerous to cast on a whim, you should have known better."

Sunset scoffed so hard she was practically neighing.

"It wasn't on a whim. I made a mess of the gymnasium so I cleaned it up. I had a very good reason for using the spell and I cast it perfectly. Nopony was in danger." She collapsed on her back in bed and stared at the ceiling. The gaudy oversized architecture of the castle made her room larger than many pony's entire homes.

"That's not for you to say." Celestia walked to the side of the bed and looked straight down at her fire maned student. Making sure that she stayed in Sunset’s field of vision while she kept talking.

"Temporal magic, and all dark magic, have consequences we do not fully understand. You could have torn a hole in our dimension, or disrupted time, or created a paradox. There's no end to the potential disaster that kind of magic can cause, which is why it is forbidden in the first place." Celestia stomped her hoof to accentuate her point, as her voice got louder with every sentence until she sounded like Madam Bishop.

"Then put a sign up," Still angry and frustrated, Sunset placed her remaining pillow back over her face to hide from Celestia's gaze.

"Do you think this is a joke, young filly?" Celestia was now shouting, "Madam Bishop is demanding you be expelled. And not just from the school but from the castle itself. What do you want me to go out there and tell them, that you're in here throwing a pillow tantrum?"

Sunset pulled the pillow off her face, revealing that her eyes were full of tears again.

"Is that what you want? Would it be better if I just left? I'll just go away and never bother you again."

Celestia was reminded of the helpless filly she found in the alleyway. She took in a deep breath and when she spoke, her voice was once again calm.

"Of course I don't want that. Just please promise me that you'll never use dark magic again."

Sunset nodded in agreement.

"I promise, never again."

Celestia sighed and sat down on the floor next to the bed. She looked physically exhausted. Like their conversation had weighed heavily on her. Sunset had scarcely seen the Princess show fatigue to anypony

"I'm tired, Sunset. I can't keep doing this forever." The Princess admitted.

Sunset scooted to the edge of the bed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stress you out so much."

Celestia just laughed.

"It's not just you. I've been ruling Equestria for over a thousand years." She looked directly at Sunset, "It's time that somepony took my place."

Sunset's eyes went wide.

"You don't mean… me do you?" Sunset slowly put the pieces together in her mind. The reason she lived in the Castle with Celestia, her status as personal student of the princess, and her enrollment in the prestigious magic school. It wasn't just charity or kindness. She was chosen. She was being prepared to rule one day. Equestria would have its first new princess in a millennium. The idea frightened Sunset at first. She didn't know what it took to be a princess. She wasn't sure if she'd ever be ready for such a monumental task.

However, the more she thought about it, the more it resonated with her, even excited her. If being the princess of all of Equestria was her destiny, then nopony could deny or doubt her, they wouldn't dare. And then everypony would know that Sunset Shimmer was the heir to the throne. She would one day take her mother's place as ruler.

"I need a pony who is strong and wise enough to lead Equestria. A pony who understands the magic of the world we live in. And more importantly," Celestia took Sunset’s hoof into hers, " The magic of friendship."

Sunset’s tears were gone. She beamed brighter than a lighthouse at her adoptive mother.

"I understand," Sunset squeezed Celestia’s hoof, "I promise I will make you proud."

Celestia stood up once more and was now at Sunset's level on the bed. She hugged her student and held her in her embrace.

"That's all I needed to hear, my little pony."

She let go of Sunset and walked over to the door.

"Don't worry about Madam Bishop or anypony else. I'll take care of it." She opened the door with her magic, fully returned to her royal and regal demeanor once again.

"I love you, mom," Sunset clutched her pillow to her chest.

"I love you too, Sunset." Celestia looked down at the pillow on the floor. She picked it up with her magic and flung it into Sunset Shimmer's face. Sunset made a mousy squeak when the pillow caught her unprepared.

"That's what you get for attacking me first." Celestia teased.

They both laughed. Sunset rolled her eyes and said,

"Okay fine, I won't do that again either."

Celestia left the room and gently closed the door behind her. Sunset was emotionally drained from such a roller coaster of a day but she didn't care. She laid back and closed her eyes, imagining her coronation ceremony with everypony cheering her name and Madam Bishop off stupidly pouting in a corner somewhere.

She opened her eyes and smiled. In her mind she felt that she was ready to take on all of Equestria by herself. But she knew she had work to do. If she was going to be ruler of Equestria, she would need to become the most powerful unicorn in history.

"One day," Sunset whispered aloud.

****

Sunset sat perched at her oversized oak wood desk. Its drawers were permanently stuck half open due to the amount of crumpled parchment, broken quills, and empty bottles of ink shoved inside its rickety drawers. In an effort to make space, she had replaced her queen sized luxurious bed and ornate bed frame with a smaller twin bed shoved forgotten in the corner of the room. Not that she slept much anymore. The mattress was simply a soft place to collapse when her eyes couldn’t stay open anymore. She had to make plenty of space for her desk, plus the addition of several shelves, and a double sided filing cabinet.

Her hooves were stained with ink that she had carelessly smeared while writing on countless scrolls and notebooks. A few blotches having found their way onto her face and mane - not that she particularly noticed or cared. Her shoulders were hunched and her neck craned forward in a manner that made her posture look like that of an old mare. She had lost track of the time, but it was still light outside so she knew she hadn't gone too long without eating. At least not yet.

Without warning, the door to her room burst open with a bang as it slammed into the far wall so hard it nearly jostled it off its hinges.

"Sunset Shimmer I presume!" Tempest stood in the door frame triumphantly on her hind hooves with her arms spread wide into the air. She awaited Sunset's reaction to her grand entrance, but the studious mare didn't budge from her place at the desk. She didn't even look up to acknowledge the disturbance. The awkward silence hung empty in the musty air of a room that suddenly felt very claustrophobic.

"Uh… hello, is anypony home?" Tempest walked up to the comically large desk and rested her elbow on the wood surface and her hoof under her cheek. “I seem to be talking to the ghost of friendship past.”

"Hi Tempest." Sunset replied in a monotone voice.

"Hi Tempest," Tempest mocked with an exaggerated boring tone. "Is that all you have for me?"

"What else would you like?" Sunset replied in her same flat cadence.

“You have ink on your face.” Tempest remarked.

Sunset’s only response was a distracted, “Mhmm.”

"Wow, tough crowd today." Tempest blew out an exasperated sigh. "Well, for starters I'd like my friend back, how does that sound, hmm? She’s about…" Tempest held her hoof over Sunset’s head. “… this tall? Yellow and red mane? Goes by the name Sunset Shimmer? Have you seen her?”

"I can't do anything today, I'm busy." Sunset continued reading over a book that must have been over a thousand pages long and smelled like stale cabbages

"What are you talking about? It's your birthday! We planned to go back to the Fizzie Pop Soda Stop months ago. And that's just the 1st stop." Tempest threw up her hooves in shock and frustration. She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"I don’t know what day my birthday is." Sunset replied nonplussed.

Tempest rolled her eyes.

"You know what I mean. It's the day you were found. We've always celebrated it as your birthday. It was Celestia’s idea." She pleaded with her studious friend.

"Okay, fair enough." Sunset finally looked up from her books. "I'm sorry I forgot about it, but it’ll have to be another time. I just have too much on my plate at the moment."

Tempest shook her head slightly in disagreement. "Says who? You graduated months ago. And it’s not like you have a job."

Sunset shot Tempest a nasty look at her minor jab.

"You know what I'm working towards." Sunset said curtly.

"Well, yeah I do, but you have your entire life to accomplish that. Nopony is making you do anything right now except you. You've spent so many years with a crammed schedule you don't know how to function without it."

Tempest leaned over the desk on both of her elbows as she squeezed Sunset’s cheeks together.

“Now, tell me the truth, do you want to stay in this dusty old room, or do you want to have fun?”

Despite her face being smooshed by Tempest’s hooves, Sunset managed to narrow her eyes and speak boldly. "I have to maintain discipline. If I decline, I'll never be worthy enough. I'll fail Celestia. Again.

Tempest slowly removed her grip, hearing how serious Sunset’s tone was. Sunset turned away and tried to refocus on her work, but was now thoroughly distracted plus, her face hurt.

Trying again. Tempest changed her tactic. Her tone went from playful to more casual. "That doesn't mean you can never have any fun at all.” She insisted. “When are you supposed to live a little? Do something for you for once. It's your flippin' birthday, Sunset. I'm sure even Celestia would let you take a birthday break for Celestia… well… for her sake." Tempest giggled a little at the royal coincidence. "It's weird to swear by her when you're talking about her."

"I agree it's a syntax nightmare." Sunset sighed and finally showed a little remorse for her decision. "However, I disagree that I can take a break."

"So, you’ll just work forever until you die?" Tempest complained.

"N-no…" Sunset hesitated as she mustered up her defense. Closing her eyes, sighing heavily and speaking her next words very carefully.

"It's just… this is the crucial time where I have to show my dedication. I know nopony asked me, specifically, but actions speak louder than words."

"And how long is this 'crucial time' going to last?" Tempest made air quotes for "crucial time."

"I don't know. Okay? I don’t. But just until I get adjusted to some sort of schedule. I’ll figure it out. I'll find a balance. It won't be forever, I promise." Sunset looked away from her oldest friend's gaze.

“Is that what it means to be a princess? To lock yourself into a room away from everypony else? I’m pretty sure Celestia actually interacts with other ponies. In fact I’m pretty sure that’s the whole point of being a princess.” Tempest felt like she was talking to a wall.

“What would you know about being a princess?” In her frustration, Sunset rolled up a scroll so fast it bunched up too far on the left, which caused it to get stuck and open a small tear. Sunset gasped in horror.

“Oh thanks a lot, Tempest. This is only an 800 year old transcript. No big deal.”

“Uh you’re the one who tore it. Don’t blame me.” Tempest scoffed. “And I think I know as much about being a princess as you do. What with our combined zero years of experience.” Tempest gestured wildly in the air.

Sunset placed the scroll down and stood up.

“You have no idea what it’s like! You don’t understand the pressure I’m under.” Sunset closed her eyes and pushed her hooves into her temples.

“Maybe I don’t, but I can see that all this pressure is self imposed. The only pony who’s doing this to you is you.” Tempest doubled down pointing her hoof at Sunset. She did it so intensely that her shoulder tensed up.

Sunset shook her head back and forth. “No, no, no, no you don’t get it. You don’t understand. No, you can’t even comprehend what it’s like being groomed to rule.” Sunset opened her eyes and pulled on her red and yellow sunburnt locks.

“All these unspoken rules and tests you have to constantly pass. The manipulative political game you have to play with the royal court and the Canterlot elite. All the while, constantly behaving ignorant to the fact that your relationship with the princess is special. And then having to demonstrate your worthiness and ability to become a princess. But then also pretending you have no intention or concept that it is even possible or else it all comes crashing down.”

“That sounds… super confusing and backwards.” Tempest admitted as she rubbed the back of her head.

“Exactly!” Sunset fell on the desk with her head down at her own outburst. She continued speaking into the wooden desk which muffled her words. “If only you knew what it’s like to be groomed to rule. It’s awful.”

Tempest leaned over and patted Sunset on the back of the head.

“You know…” Tempest began almost sheepishly. For once she had found a subject that even she was afraid to bring up with Sunset. “You could always… not be a princess. Nopony is forcing you to do this. I’m sure Celestia would understand. In fact, nopony would understand more than her.”

An exasperated Sunset picked up her head and peeked at Tempest who’s hooves now fully embraced her. For a moment, she saw a way out. She could go celebrate her birthday with Tempest and live a “normal life”. She could be happy just living her life, exploring Equestria, and all the other great nations of the world. She could have many more birthdays just like this one, and never once have to deal with a royal court or jealous nobles.

Tempest’s smile was warm and inviting. She was a carefree pony who knew how to find joy in anything. A life like that would certainly be fun.

However, a nasty thought struck Sunset’s mind. She imagined a nearly infinite ruler years from now - long after Sunset’s time had passed. A ruler so tired and disconnected from the burden of power that it had drained every last ounce of soul out of her. Sunset pictured an image of Princess Celestia permanently exhausted and void of all joy and vibrance. Her adoptive mother had once expressed to her how tired she was. The mantle of rule had worn down even an Alicorn as old as the age of Equestria itself.

Somepony had to be there to take up the mantle for her. Celestia herself had chosen Sunset to do this.

But, if she told her that she just wanted to live a normal life, the wise and kind Celestia would certainly acquiesce. And yet, damage would be done. Sunset would have failed Celestia for the last time and doom the pony she called mother to countless years of emptiness.

Then another image invaded Sunset’s thoughts. A vision she often fantasized about. It was of her on the throne. Her royal gown glowing in the late afternoon light. Purple and red silk adorning her figure with a white translucent trim. A bejeweled crown atop her head, as she stood in the great hall. Her royal court surrounded her in awe of her beauty and majesty. The heir apparent. The great and benevolent ruler of Equestria.

Princess Sunset Shimmer.

She wanted it. She wanted that image to be true. And no amount of birthdays or fun outings was going to make it real. It could only be conquered through grueling hard work. She had to be the best and needed the forgotten power hidden in these ancient scrolls and books to achieve it. It was the only way to command respect. Pony’s only responded to power.

She glanced back at Tempest. Her well meaning, yet naive, smile still adorned her kind face. Sunset gave her a crooked half smile.

“Thank you, Tempest. Truly, I mean it, thank you. For all that you’ve done. It won’t go unnoticed. However, I’ll have to pass on tonight. I promise I’ll set aside some time soon.” Sunset felt a little guilty, but was at peace with her decision. It was necessary to fulfill her dreams.

Tempest slammed her hooves down on the dark brown oak. Sunset jumped in surprise.

"Sunset Shimmer, come with me to your birthday party right now or else!" Tempest was still smiling, but a tinge of annoyance slipped into her voice. Only because this certainly wasn’t the first time they’d had this conversation. She had tried so many times to be a true friend to Sunset, and she was starting to doubt if Sunset wanted to be helped.

Sunset's expression darkened and her posture went defensive.

"Or else what? You'll blab my secret to everypony in the royal court?" Sunset panicked just a little. Nopony in Equestria had more dirt on her than Tempest. She knew all of Sunset’s secrets. In fact, she probably knew too much. And, as of this moment, Sunset didn’t have a way out. If anypony of status heard even a whisper that Sunset had ambition for the crown, she and Celestia would be in for a world of trouble.

Tempest pulled away from the desk and stood in the middle of the room silently for a long time. Her face looked like Sunset Shimmer had ripped a hole in her torso with a magic attack. She was struck with overwhelming disbelief.

"I would never do that, Sunset. Never. Why would you think that?" All of the joy and bubbly tone in Tempest's voice was gone. She sounded just as drab and serious as Sunset.

"Oh…" was all Sunset could think to say. "Well I appreciate that, thank you.."

“Of course." Tempest spoke back automatically. Realizing that their conversation was going nowhere. Tempest sighed in defeat.

"Well… I'll leave you to your work. I'm sorry I bothered you." Tempest slunk back to the wide open door. The air in the room had become so stiff it was almost unbreathable.

"Thank you for understanding." Sunset replied, but she was already absorbed back into her infinite literature.

It was suddenly like a conversation between two robots. All formalities, no real substance.

Tempest slowly began to close the door on her way out. She peaked around the door to look at her old friend one last time.

"Good luck Sunset Shimmer. I wish you all the best." Tempest closed the door just in time. Another second and Sunset would have seen the ugly face of Tempest crying uncontrollably.

"Thanks." Sunset replied to absolutely nopony.

****