• Published 6th Aug 2021
  • 6,332 Views, 239 Comments

Get Him 3 - Lord Blackraven

  • ...
13
 239
 6,332

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: Night Flight

Night Flight

“No, no, no no no no no no, OH CRAP!” he rambled as his grip on the magnificent diarch of the night tightening!

Just beyond the thin fabric covering the two archways was a perilously small platform, followed by nothing but open air. Canterlot had been constructed on the side of a mountain, after all. As she galloped towards the edge of the platform, his fears were confirmed.

“Hang on!” Luna shouted, her heart pounding in her chest and over the edge she went!

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!” Alex yelled as they fell towards the ground at an ever increasing speed a thousand or so feet below. “I’M GONNA DIE! I’M GONNA DIE! I’M GONNA THROW UP AND THEN I’M GONNA DIE!!” he screamed as he buried his face in Lunas neck.

"Luna, I'm afraid of heights!" Alex quickly blurt out, keeping his eyes closed and his face planted in the back of her neck rather than dare to look down. His heart was pounding in his chest, as he tried to focus on his breathing and not completely hyperventilate or pass out.

Lunas massive indigo swan like wings gracefully flared out on each side of Alex, each one as wide as he was tall opened on each side of the Night Princess and slowly Alex felt gravity take over as he felt himself press deeper into Lunas back as she leveled out. With two broad flaps of her wings, Luna launched herself and her rider into the night skies.

As the Princess changed course, pulling up from her power dive and soaring into the night sky, Alex was at a loss for words. Without releasing his grasp around Lunas neck, he watched the landscape and city lights race by beneath them. A few seconds passed and his nerves started to calm - if only just a little bit. Feeling the night alicorn’s pulse against his fingers and being reminded of whom he was holding so tightly to, his grip eased off.

“You ok back there?” Luna loudly inquired, her voice cutting through the rushing wind. She had felt his grip around her neck loosen just a little.

She’d be a horrible mount for not checking on him, given what she’d just put him through. Though the reality of it was, even if he had fallen from her back, she could have easily saved him with her magic. And even if for some inexplicable reason her magic had failed, he still would have been caught by her two ever present night guards flying silently behind them just out of sight, yet she knew she had likely given him an awful fright. As she leveled out, slowly flapping periodically to keep her altitude steady, she turned her head to get a better look at him.

Gulping down a breath of fresh air, because he had forgotten to breathe, Alex found his voice. “I’m still alive?” he croaked.

“My apologies for scaring you by taking to the skies like that,” she smiled sheepishly, “It was not my intent to terrify you so.”

The Princess’ calm demeanor did wonders to help assuage his panic, which had been steadily rising within Alex, thus putting his mind at ease. “Just warn me next time, ok?” he nervously laughed, but still continued to hold around her neck tightly.

“Next time you say? Am I to assume that you would like to do this again?” turning her head a bit more to make eye contact with Alex. A devilish smile on her muzzle.

“I…Well... That is…”

“Alex, please speak your mind. I promise you that I will not be offended.” Luna reassured him. Alex let out a sigh.

“…Well you are a princess and I just don’t want your subjects to be offended or create some kind of scandal and cause you problems… and…”

It warmed Lunas heart that he was more concerned for her station and appearance before her subjects than his own life at the moment.

Drifting and banking lazily from side to side, feeling the breeze through his hair, Alex let out a sigh. From their altitude, he could easily make out several structures of Canterlot behind them with their lights twinkling in the night. As frightening as it initially was, being atop a magical flying pony, there was something remarkable calming yet exhilarating about it all. He was, as far as he knew, the first and only human to have such an experience; the thought filled him with an incredible amount of happiness, slowly overriding the fear inside of him. Leaning back slightly he closed his eyes.

“This is incredible,” he muttered.

“What? “ Luna said back, cocking an ear in his direction.

“I said this is incredible!” Alex spoke up, with a big smile on his face.
“If you think this is something, then watch this!” she shouted, suddenly stricken with the urge to take off.
“What are you going to do?” he shouted in surprise.
Let me show you something to ease your nerves, just let go of my neck first."

"Are you CRAZY? No way in hell am I letting go," he yelled. His grip tightening in anticipation of what she might have in mind.

"Please, just trust me, Alex," Luna pleads, flashing him with her sad eyes as extra encouragement.

"No. Stop, Quit looking at me that way!" He sighed, relinquishing his grip. “I hate it when you do that.” He grumbled. Without warning, Luna rolled over until the two of them are flying inverted, leaving her giggling gleefully.

"AAAAA! Luna, what the hell are you doing?" he screamed, his heart feeling like it's going to explode as he hung upside down on her back.

"Proving to you that you need not be fearful of flying with me," she calmly replied. "You're not holding on right now, but are you falling? As long as I have my magic, you need not be afraid. I wasn't even casting an active spell to hold you on,"

"I.... huh, what" was all Alex managed to say, as Luna rolled right side up again and gleefully, pulled up into a loop.

Alexs’ grip on her, while snug, wasn’t nearly as white knuckled as it had been when they’d plunged off the side of the mountain palace. Steady and controlled, their pace quickened as they sailed over the landscape below. The palace and Canterlot itself all but gone in the distance behind them.

The wind whipped gently against his face, the moon shining brightly overhead, and for the first time in many, many years, he felt like a kid again. The wonderment and excitement of it all, riding on the back of the majestic and beautiful night princess, was like something out of his wildest dreams. Gone was any trace of fear only to be, replaced by the warmth and reassuring comfort of the indigo mare.
Even with all the thousands of flights Luna had taken in her very long life, this one was like no other before or since. The absolute faith Alex had put in her, trusting her with his very life, was beyond moving. It was very humbling. How he just relaxed as he rested on her back, his weight affording her some unfathomable form of happiness she had never experienced before. It all just felt so right to her. It was almost as if there was some mystical bond that linked the two of them together. Positively beaming, sailing along, she climbed a little higher into the night sky.
Alex continued to look around at the night sky. Everything was so amazing! The stars, the moon, the warmth of the night air as it brushed past his skin, all of it, even the princess whose back he sat upon. “Beautiful.” He whispered softly. Luna heard his assessment of her work and felt his emotions for her. She smiled and blushed deeply at his feelings over it all but remained silent as her smile continued to grow on her muzzle.

“Where are we going princess?” Luna was brought out of her internal reverie by his sudden question.
“I would like to introduce you to another part of my kingdom.” As she veered toward a fast approaching mountain peak.
“What is there?” He queried.
“You will see.” Was her simple response.
“It looks dangerous” He replied nervously. As they approached a large cave opening in the mountain.
“It can be but fear not. You are safe with me.”
Punching through the threshold of the caves opening, Luna slowed incrementally as Alexs’ vision went completely dark.
“Luna! I can’t see anything! Slow down before we crash into something!” he said in fear as he hunkered down against Lunas neck once more.
“It is ok Alex. I can see in the dark. The night is my realm after all. We are almost there.
Whether it was a few minutes or an hour, Alex could not tell. Soon the human could see dim lights in the distance. As they got closer he could make out a wooden platform with glowing green crystals marking its perimeter and two dark pony guards at the entrance of a tunnel that seemed to go farther back into the mountain. Princess Luna gently slowed down and landed on the platform, Alex barely felt her transition from flight mode to land mode. A few steps and she came to a complete stop in front of the two guards whereupon they immediately went into a bow before the princess. Princess Luna strode forward with an air of authority, Alex still on her back as her two escorting night guards landed silently on the wooden platform at either side of their liege and just slightly behind her.
One of the stationed guards spoke up. “My princess! We are honored by your presence!”
“Thank you guard.” Please rise, then looking over her withers. “Alex, would you please dismount me.” At the same time spreading her wings. Alex did as he was bidden, getting off the night princess and standing next to her.
“Princess Luna? What is this place?” He whispered softly to her ear.
“This is The Night Realm a voice spoke from the opening of the tunnel as a blue grey bat pony stallion came into view. “Princess Luna! To what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?” The stallion said as he gave the princess a polite bow. “And who is this creature you have brought with you?” He queried giving a fanged smile at Alex.
“This is Alexander. A friend. I brought him here so that he may learn of my children of the night and so that you may also learn something of him. He is my royal ward and thus in my personal charge. I wish all to see him so that all may know of his presence and his appearance so that none may mistake him as an enemy or …prey.

Author's Note:

Another chapter done. The ending of it popped in my head as I was writing it. I didn't want to just do a piece with them flying around a little and then "back to the castle we go." Thus the Night Realm idea was born.

Just out of curiosity, How many of us would love to experience something like this with Luna or Celestia? Thoughts?

PreviousChapters Next