• Published 4th Aug 2021
  • 531 Views, 7 Comments

Pearl's Beloved Forestsong - Valtyrian



A lonely, heart broken pegasus and a trouble making kitsune find out that lines between friendship and true love are not as clear as they once thought.

  • ...
2
 7
 531

Chapter 7 - Her thoughts, His feelings

“Uggh!” Leaning back, Pearl half slid into her chair. She slammed her book closed before pushing it across the table.

Twilight looked up from her desk toward her student and quirked an eyebrow. “Everything okay Pearl?” Was her most spoken word set for the last two days. Lowering her head down she waited for the reply she knew was coming.

“No.” Twilight blinked and looked up at Pearl who just shook her head.

“So what’s wrong Pearl.”

“Do you think I’m a little too plain looking?” Pearl self consciously ran a hoof down her mane. “It’s been two days sense I kissed him. Confessed my feelings to him. And he’s barely said anything in reply.”

Sighing deeply, Twilight put down her quill and looked at her student. “Pearl. You are a very beautiful young mare. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Kohaku thinks so too. You should have seen his tails puff when you two were kissing, it was adorable.”

“Really?” Pearl gave a half smile as she stared at her mentor.

“Yes, in fact if I’m not much mistaken, your wings started to stiffen up a little too.” Twilight winked “Or was I mistaken?”

“He is a really good kisser.” Pearl half giggled blushing a deep pink. “Who knew a tongue could maneuver like that? And those paws, how they maneuvered along my body. Touching areas even I didn’t know existed. I swear I just about...” Shaking her head rapidly side to side, Pearl pulled together. “It’s been two days since then. Why hasn’t he said anything to me.”

“Well to be fair, he has been unconscious most of that time.” Twilight smiled seeing Pearl huff. “Probably the result of your kiss, or his body trying to manage without magic.”

“Let's just say it was my kissing that did it.” Pearl smiled as Twilight laughed aloud and agreed.

The two mares laughing together stoped as the doors to Twilight’s study were suddenly thrown open.

“Twilight!” Fluttershy shouted, louder then the alicorn had ever heard. “Where… how is… Kohaku.” As Fluttershy reached the large desk she collapsed next to Pearl. Putting both front hooves on Twilights desk, Fluttershy pulled herself up.

“Easy there sugarlips.” Applejack chuckled as she walked into the room. “Hey Twilight, Pearl. Hows Kohaku doin.”

“Applejack. Fluttershy. How was your little ‘secret’ getaway.” Twilight giggled as Pearl just sat there with her mouth hung open.

“You knew?” Both Applejack and Fluttershy stared at Twilight as she nodded slowly.

“I knew.” Twilight reached out and closed Pearl’s mouth as she came up beside her student. “It wasn’t hard to figure out. Especially Kohaku mentioned it to me.”

“He Knew!” The pair looked at each other and blinked.

“OH dear. We were always so careful though.” Fluttershy blushed almost as red as an apple.

“I know I was.” Applejack rubbed her head a little.

“I think you two underestimated how sensitive Kohaku’s sense of smell is.”

“I think we did. I know we shower well enough after except for…” Applejack’s eyes widened.

“That night in the straw barn.” Reaching out with a wing, Fluttershy slapped Applejack’s shoulder. “I told you I heard somepony. But no, you said it was probably just Winona.”

“Wait, you two are together!” Pearl gasped, finally finding her voice as the pair nodded. “Kohaku knew and didn’t tell me!” A low growling rumble escaped Pearl’s throat.

Twilight just shook her head and chuckled at her student. Turning back to her friends she smiled.

“Well nopony else knows apart from us. But I'm sure they would enjoy hearing it from you two. And Pinkie would no doubt throw a celebration for you two as well.” Pulling up a seat for both of her friends, Twilight sat down next to her student. “But for the reason you're here. Kohaku is just fine. He escaped death’s grasp easily enough, but he’s still going to have a rough month.”

“Why’s that Twilight, boy can heal himself up right quick.” Applejack tilted her hat up a bit.

“Except that he can’t, his magic pathways were severely damaged.”

“How did it happen Twilight? I thought Timberwolves stayed clear of my boy.” Fluttershy bit on the edges of her front hooves nervously.

“He was protecting us.” Pearl sighed, bowing her head. “Scootaloo, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle convinced me to go watch an area where Kohaku is known to hunt. We all got into an argument and drew the attention of timberwolves. So Kohaku. Already hurt, rushed out and burned through his magic protecting us all.”

“I shudder to think what might have happened if I had been a split second too late.” Twilight sighed and bowed her head. “But thankfully all is well. He’s still in the hospital and should be able to be discharged tonight. I was going to invite him here but since you’re home now. It’s right he should be there with you Fluttershy.”

Nodding, Fluttershy turned to Applejack “I’m going to go check up on Kohaku. Will you get things settled at my cabin sweetie?” Leaning up, Fluttershy nuzzled Applejack’s neck affectionately.

“Of course I will. You go on now.” AJ chuckled, giving her marefriend a playful swat on the rump. The farm mare smiled as she watched the love of her life gallop out the door. Turning on her hooves, Applejack moved towards the door herself.

“Applejack!” Pearl leaped up. Causing AJ to spin around a bit. “Do you mind if I help? There’s something I want to talk to you about.” Looking over her shoulder, Pearl glanced at Twilight almost asking permission. To which the princess nodded.

“Sure, there’s a lot to put away so I’ll be glad for the help.” Pearl gleefully jumped up and down before running to Applejack’s side. “So what do you wanna talk about?”

Pearl blushed and sighed. “Kohaku.”

Twilight watched the pair walk out of her office and went back to her chair. Looking up at the sun, the Princess thought back to her younger days as Celestia’s pupil. “I sometimes wonder how you managed to put up with me all those years ago.” Laughing internally she shook her head and went back to her overdue paperwork.


“You know you had me worried sick.” Fluttershy half scolded as she fluffed Kohaku’s pillow. The sound of his groaning almost made her smile. “Taking on two alpha timberwolves while injured. What were you thinking?”

Kohaku half shrank into the bed. “Ane…”

“Don’t you Ane me Kohaku. You're still young enough that I can put you over my knee.”

Kohaku just crossed his arms and sighed as his big sister pulled the blankets and sheets from the bed. He watched as she placed new ones on as the nurses in the room just looked at each other. “I didn’t mean to scare you like that.”

Snapping the sheets she pulled the edge up to his waist. Turning her cerulean eyes to his and smiled. Reaching out with her wing she caressed his cheek. “I know. But I still see you as that little twelve year old boy I adopted. I chose to be your big sister rather than your mother because that’s what I felt you needed.”

“And you just had to take that cue from Kazumi.” Looking up at her, he smiled. “You sure you're not her in disguise?”

Both Fluttershy and Kohaku laughed aloud as she shook her head. Fluttershy sat herself on the edge of the bed and caressed Kohaku’s hair with her hoof. “You’ll never know. But I do love you as much as she did. What do you suppose she would have done to you in this situation?”

Kohaku shivered and half glanced out the window. “I shudder to think. I once snuck out of my room after bedtime to sneak cookies. I couldn’t sit for two days afterwards.” Reaching down, Kohaku rubbed his bottom. “I still feel it sometimes.”

“Well you're just lucky you survived.” Fluttershy sighed. “And sense you saved your friends. I’m not going to punish you. I think you’ve learned your lesson.” Kohaku nodded.

Looking up, Fluttershy glanced at the two nurses. “You two can go back to your duties now. I’ll take care of my own child.”

The nurses opened their mouths to voice their opinions. However, one look from Fluttershy’s eyes made them all think twice about it. With a nod Blue Cross and Blue Shield left the room as quickly as they could.

“So,” Fluttershy’s look changed from that of a concerned mother to an adoring sister so quickly, Kohaku’s head spun a bit. “You and Pearl huh.”

Kohaku blushed and nodded slowly. “Yeah. I’m still in that state of disbelief myself.”

“Well she’s a wonderful girl. You should consider yourself lucky.”

“I do, it’s just...” Kohaku sighed.

“Yes?” Fluttershy leaned in.

“She said she loved me, I think she wanted me to say it back.” Kohaku smirked a little. “I’m not sure I know how.”

“Just say the words. I’m sure that’s all you have to do.” Fluttershy watched as Kohaku’s face turned almost blank for a moment. “You’ve told girls you loved them before haven’t you?”

Kohaku just shook his head slowly. “Told them, not really. Like I said I’m not sure I know how. How do I honestly convey how I feel with just three little words?”

“You do love her don’t you?” Fluttershy watched as Kohaku nodded his head slowly.

“Of course I do.”

“You told Sweetie Belle right? Just tell Pearl the same way.” Fluttershy blinked as she watched Kohaku turn away. “You never told Sweetie Belle?”

Shaking his head slowly he sighed. “She knew. She always knew. My kind is monogamous. Yes, before mating we can have multiple lovers. And it’s never questioned if we loved them or not. They just knew. I never once questioned that my sisters loved me, or you. Even Sweetie Belle. She always found ways of showing me. You all have.”

Fluttershy kept her silence as she listened in.

“But then again Sweetie Belle knew a lot more about my race then Pearl does. I can tell her, even show her. But would that be enough? Enough to show her what’s in my heart, my soul.” Sighing, Kohaku bowed his head. “For the last year and a half now I wanted to show her. That I thought differently about her. She and I have so much in common, yet different enough. Enough to…”

“Make her your mate?” Kohaku just nodded slowly

“Yes, but we’re still very young. I’m not planning anything so outrageous yet. That thought has crossed my mind regardless. I’m surprised I had that though, being so young.”

“Well you’re not that young, all boys your age have those thoughts.” Fluttershy pulled Kohaku in closer, resting his head under hers as she just caressed his back.

“I mean young for my kind. I shouldn’t have the thought of mating for another few centuries.” Hugging Fluttershy tightly he nuzzled his head under hers. “Do you think living amongst ponies for so long now has been changing me?”

“Maybe. For the better I hope.” Looking out the window, Fluttershy became thoughtful. “You know. If you’re having trouble saying the words. There is one way you can let her know. One she would never question.”

Pushing away he looked at Fluttershy, looking rather nervous. “But should I? There would never be going back after that. She’ll never look at me the same again. Not when she sees…”

A hoof lovingly placed on his lips silenced Kohaku. As he looked up into Fluttershy’s eyes. “Isn’t it worth the risk?”

“If you had one, would you show Applejack?”

Nodding Fluttershy got up. “I would, because to me, she’s worth the risk.” Moving to the door she stopped at touching the handle. “I can bring it here if you like.”

“No, this isn’t the right setting. And it’s way too valuable to be in such a public place. Father said if I ever did something like what you're suggesting. It has to be in someplace special.”

“Wise words, do you have such a special place?”

“We do.” Looking out the window Kohaku watched the birds fly about in a graceful show. It was only interrupted by the sound of his stomach.

“Sounds like somefox is hungry. I’ll go get you something to eat.” Opening the door Fluttershy looked back at her little brother and surrogate son. “Anything special you want?”

“Yeah but I’m not sure where it is right now. I do hope they took that sack back to the cabin. I’d hate for the meat to spoil.”

“I’ll inquire about that, but till then. How about a nice sesame, almond salad with a cranberry vinaigrette?” Kohaku only nodded softly as he continued to watch out the window. Fluttershy smiled. She had given him a lot to think about.

“Oh yes, don’t think I’m letting you off the hook for spying on me and AJ in the straw barn.” Fluttershy giggled a little, she watched as that brought a smile and sly look to his eyes. Closing the door behind her, the motherly Pegasus went to get her boy dinner.


Pearl helped Applejack as she folded various dresses. Biting down on her lips, the young Pegasus looked up at the older mare.

“Kinda quiet for some filly who wanted to talk.” AJ chuckled as she put away Fluttershy’s clothing. “You wanted to talk about Kohaku? So how about talkin already.”

“Sorry. This is kinda new for me,” Pearl sighed. “I’m wondering how Kohaku feels about me. I told him I loved him, but he hasn’t said the words back to me.”

“Is that all? Shoot I know that boy loves ya.” Applejack closed an empty suitcase before sliding it in a storage closet. “You must have seen how he looks at ya. He never looked at anypony else that way.”

“I know but, why doesn’t he just say it.”

“Ya know boys, sometimes it’s those three little words that are the hardest to say aloud.” Walking over, Applejack placed a hoof on the girl's shoulder. “Doesn’t mean he don’t love ya.”

“I guess. Maybe it’s just my last relationship playing with my mind.” Pearl sat up on Fluttershy’s bed. “No doubt you heard what had happened.”

“Eeyup. From Pinkie no less. Also been hearing the rumors they’ve been spreading about ya both.” Pearl blushed and shyly shrank away. “Oh don’t worry, I don’t believe them. I don’t think any of your friends do either.”

“Yeah, I’m grateful for that.” Looking about she found nearly all of the outfits and clothing had been put away. “I’m gonna go have a long flight. I need to clear my head.”

“Have fun sugarcube.” Applejack chuckled as she watched Pearl leave. Turning back Applejack started to put away the more intimate apparel.”


For what seemed like hours, Pearl flew over Ponyville with practiced grace. The wind lovingly caressed her body, the air cooling her body and soothing her wing muscles.

Maybe I’m overthinking this. Pearl thought to herself. I know Kohaku does love me, that kiss he laid on me. Woof. I’m still getting shivers from it. Now I understand why Sweetie Belle liked kissing him so much. And to think I once thought it disgusting.

Pushing herself up higher, Pearl arched herself backwards and into a barrel roll. Spinning toward the ground. She pulled herself up again and spread both wings wide, gliding on the currents.

I just don’t get why he won't just say it. How can it be so hard to say three little words. Lotus and I said them all the… Pearl blinked and sighed. Shaking her head. Maybe that’s it, yes she and I said it all the time, but it’s clear she never meant them. Not like myself.

Landing at the edge of a small natural hot spring, with a wide waterfall, Pearl smiled wide. Thinking back she remembered the night when he tricked her into skinny dipping with him. Always so sly and sneaky. Laying on the edge, Pearl swished the hot waters. It would be easy to dive in. Let the hot water wash away any doubts, fears. But it just doesn't feel right without him here. Maybe when he gets out of the hospital, we'll come here and relax. And talk. Talk about this new relationship we have. And pray it’s not some trick he’s playing.

Looking up at the clouds Pearl grinned. “Ha, he’s too good natured to do that to me. Besides, he knows I’d kill him.”


Pearl lounged about in the hot springs. Two days had passed since she was last here. Normally she wouldn’t be in it without Kohaku and part of her felt guilty for being in it now. But he had sent her a note saying he would be there by noon, so it did help alleviate most of it.

“Pearl!” A familiar voice called out from the path.

Turning around she crossed her arms on the edge of the springs. The sight before her made Pearl giggle a little. Kohaku was resting on the back of Big Mac, still partly bound in bandages, his rear left leg still bound in a cast. The pair of them moving up to the springs at a smooth trot. Attached to one of Kohaku’s front legs was a decorative chest.

“Alright here ya go Little Apple.” Mac chuckled as he helped Kohaku down off of his back. Kohaku laid on his belly and set the chest between his front legs.

“Thanks Oniisan.” Kohaku and Mac affectionately nuzzled each other's necks. “Aj said she’d come pick me up later this afternoon. I know you have that date.”

Smirking, Mac chuckled. “Okay, you two have fun now. And don’t go tellin Aj about it. You know how she gets.”

“I won’t, I kept their secret, I can certainly keep yours.” Kohaku chuckled and turned his attention to Pearl who blushed.

“So who’s he dating?” Pearl pulled herself up and out of the hot springs. The cool air made her shiver but that quickly vanished as she nuzzled up against Kohaku.

“Not tellin. At least not yet.” Kohaku grinned and nuzzled Pearls’ neck. His grin quickly vanished as he stared down at the decorative chest in front of him.

Pearl looked down at the chest. It looked to have been grown rather than crafted. Resembling a small tree stump. “So what’s in the box?”

“I know you’ve been stressing a little about me not saying the words, I love you.” Kohaku turned his gaze into her eyes. “I’m still not used to how ponies do things in regards to dating. Amongst my own people it’s easy. If you're with someone, you love them. It’s never questioned, never doubted. But it seems that ponies like to doubt it all the time.”

“I guess I can understand that. Look at me and Lotus. How that turned out.” Pearl rested her hoof on Kohaku’s paw. “I just want to be sure, even if it’s by those words.”

“I know, and I do love you Pearl. But to convey it with just words. It’s not enough.” Opening the chest, Kohaku sighed. “So I brought this.”

Pearl blinked as she watched him open the chest to reveal. An ordinary forest green play ball. Barely larger than a soft ball. “A toy? Seriously?”

“That’s no toy Pearl.” Taking the sphere in his paws, Kohaku raised it to his lips and blew on it. A small flicker of emerald flame escaped his lips. Making the ball shimmer with an amber light. “This. Is me.”

Pearl quirked her eyebrows and smirked. Waiting for the punchline. But when she saw how serious his eyes were she looked back at the sphere.

“Only neechan knows about it. I’ve never even shown this to our mentor Twilight.” Kohaku’s voice became softer as he lowered his head. “This sphere holds a part of my own soul.” Closing his eyes Kohaku continued on. Feeling the soft touch of Pearl's front leg up against his made him feel more comfortable.

“When my kind are born, these spheres come into existence. And we guard them with our lives.” Looking at Pearl he smiled. “Sometimes they’re larger, or smaller. They can appear as crystals, or playthings. And we even use them as playthings. Among our own kind it's nothing out of the ordinary. But amongst others, should any creature get a hold of this. They can force us to do anything they want. Be it good, or evil.”

“So why are you showing it to me?”

“Because I trust you Pearl. And I want you to understand my feelings. And this is the fastest way for you to do so.” Pulling the shimmering sphere closer to his chest he sighed out. “Hold out your hooves. And you may want to brace yourself. It can be rather intense, you are after touching the deepest part of me.”

“Have any other ponies done this?” Pearl held out her hooves but shivered. Almost scared to the point of running away.

“Only one other, my old oniisan Stary.” Kohaku smiled as he remembered the day. “You and Twilight-sama know him as Starswirl the bearded.”

Pearl blinked as she looked at the green sphere. “What happened after he touched it?”

“He became my sister's mate. After he stopped babbling like a crazed librarian.” Chuckling Kohaku held the sphere over her hooves. “But just relax and open your mind. It’ll be easier.” Seeing Pearl nod, Kohaku dropped the sphere into her hooves.