• Published 4th Aug 2021
  • 531 Views, 7 Comments

Pearl's Beloved Forestsong - Valtyrian



A lonely, heart broken pegasus and a trouble making kitsune find out that lines between friendship and true love are not as clear as they once thought.

  • ...
2
 7
 531

Chapter 5 - Her Fox

Twilight purred out as she felt her wife Rainbow nibble along her twitching ears. A blue hoof lovingly moving down her toned belly. “Oh Rainbow.” Twilight shivered as she felt those tender lips move down from her ears. Only to appear again at the base of her horn. Causing sparks of magic to erupt from it.

Rainbow giggled as she heard her wife moan and purr at her attentions.

“Rainbow, I have work to do.” Twilight moaned but made no move to stop her wife.

“Come on Twi, it’s been two days since I’ve held my purple princess.” Rainbow pushed Twilight down on the desk and caressed down those purple haunches. “And you know how worked up I get during those Wonderbolt training sessions.”

“You haven't even showered yet, have you.” Twilight smirked

“You know you love it.” Rainbow watched as Twilight blushed a shade of pink but nodded slowly. Looking at the position her princess was in. Rainbow felt her heart pound heavily. “You look so delicious.”

“So what are you waiting for?” Twilight grinned lovingly.

Twilight let out a gasp as she felt Rainbow move lower down her body. But just before she could feel those skillful lips where she needed it. The double door to her office burst open. Twilight’s eyes widened as she watched the half dragon captain of her royal guard stand there with a dumbfounded look on his face.

“Uh.. princess. I uh. Well.” Kirouac stammered as she shifted uncomfortably.

“Talk about a mood killer.” Rainbow huffed as she folded her front legs over Twilight’s belly.

Rolling over, Twilight got down off of her desk and did her best to straighten out her clothes. Leaning in, she kissed Rainbow’s muzzle. “Later.” she whispered in those blue ears before turning to her Captain.

Rainbow shrugged and reziped her wonderbolt’s outfit and moved to the back wall of the office. Looking both frustrated and understanding. After all, her wife’s duties as a princess were very important.

“Alright Kirouac. This better be good.” Twilight sat in her chair and looked at him.

“We have had reports of active timberwolf attacks near the edge of the Everfree Forest.” Kirouac still felt uncomfortable. Having interrupted something he thought might have been important to the married mares. “I need your authority to enact a state of emergency.”

“Done. No pony is to enter the Everfree Forest until the situation has calmed down.” Twilight took out her stamp and applied it to the propper forms.

“I understand that your student Kohaku is in the woods now. Should we send a few of the sky guards to retrieve him?”

“No, Kohaku can take care of himself.” Twilight held her front hooves together with a smile. “Timberwolves offer no threat to him. They tend to stay clear of my student. What with his power to command plantlife and his skillful application of Foxfire.”

“What about Scoots and her friends?” Rainbow chimed in, causing both Twilight and Kirouac to look her way with shocked expressions. “Uh you do know they went into the forest about two hours ago right?”

“How do you know that?” Kirouac blinked.

“Easy. I saw them move into it as I was flying back from practice.” Rainbow saw a look of horror cross her wifes face.

Twilight spun around and looked at her captain. “Get the guards ready. We’re going in to get my daughter and her friends out NOW!” Turning to her wife she panted heavily “Rainbow. Alert the hospital just in case.”

Rainbow’s look matched her wifes. She wasn’t about to let anything happen to those fillies. “On it.” Throwing open the window, Rainbow dashed out in a beeline to the hospital as Kirouac and Twilight ran out the office door.


Pearl huffed and grunted loudly. She couldn’t fly straight as her tears clouded her vision forcing her to land. Folding her wings against her barrel she stormed onward toward Ponyville.

“Hey Pearl, wait up.” Scootaloo called out landing in front of her friend.

Sweetie Belle quickly teleported beside the pair as Applebloom ran up huffing.

“What was the point of all that? Why did you want me to witness that act.” Pearl screamed at her friends as she paced back and forth before them.

“Well it’s just. We know how you feel about him.” Sweetie Belle moved closer.

Pearl said nothing as she just stepped back and forth between the trees. Her breathing grew heavier by the moment.

“We felt that you should know every part of him.” Apple Bloom placed a hoof on Pearl’s shoulder. Only for it to be slapped away by a wing. Leaving the young earth pony to bow her head sadly.

“I told them to leave it to Kohaku to tell you himself.” Scootaloo sighed.

“Not like you did anything to stop them.” Pearl shot her orange friend a dark look. Her hoof wiping a few tears from her eyes.

“You're right, I didn’t.”

“Well it’s not like he would have told her. He hates showing that side of himself to pony’s.” Sweetie Belle yelled at her friends. “I remember how hard it was to see that the first time.”

“What makes you all think I didn’t know about it!” Pearl growled out.

The cmc’s looked at each other and blinked.

“Wait, are you telling us you knew about that part of him already?” Sweetie Belle looked at Pearl who only nodded.

“Of course I knew.” Pearl just rolled her eyes and sat down, pushing her back up against a tree. “There isn’t much he and I haven't talked about. Plus I’m a girl who has an unnatural obsession with dragons. We all know how fierce they are.”

The four girls all nodded together.

Pearl looked over at her friends with a kinder look. “What I'm upset about isn’t seeing him like that. I was just so sure he was going to let the jackrabbit go. It fought so hard, and I know Kohaku respects that. It was such a beautiful, noble animal. But to go for the throat like that. How could he!”

Pearl looked at her three friends and quirked an eyebrow. Their faces shifted from shame to fear in less than a minute. All of them were looking up past her head. A sudden shiver went down her spine as the sound of heavy growling finally caught her ears. Looking up. Pearl found herself eye to eye with not one, but two massive timberwolves.


Kohaku groaned and sighed. Every muscle ached and felt like it was on fire. After burying his friend, he knelt down and recited a hunter’s prayer. Wishing a good afterlife for the fallen and no ill will for the survived.

Zipping up his filled rucksack, Kohaku slung it onto his back. Before he took two steps he heard the collective scream of four fillies. Lifting his head up, his eyes widened as a cold shiver went down his back. With an irritated groan he spoke a soft word. Sending a flame down his body, igniting his markings. Tightening his muscles Kohaku dashed toward the trouble.

“How much trouble can three girls get into?” Kohaku growled. Why any filly would willingly walk into the Everfree Forest was beyond him. Particularly when Timberwolves were at their most dangerous.

Pearl trembled as she looked at the large timberwolf. It’s green eyes glowing brightly as it’s deathly grin widening. ‘So this is how i’m going to go out? Taking apart by a timberwolf.’ She thought and closed her eyes. Sitting up straight she tried to meet her death with at least some dignity. As opposed to her trio of friends that were screaming as they clung together.

The massive timberwolf howled at such an easy kill. Its massive paw raised up. With a powerful swipe down. The beast blinked only to find his prey was gone.

It happened so fast Pearl couldn’t believe it had happened at all. Just when she felt the touch of the Timberwolf paw against her hair. She felt the wind brush against every inch of her body. Opening her eyes she found herself laying reverse cowgirl on Kohaku’s back. While the CMC’s were hanging from each of his tails. Looking over her shoulder she saw the dumbfounded look on the timberwolves and just how heavy Kohaku was breathing.

“Get. off. my. Back.” Kohaku’s words came heavily as he struggled to stay standing.

Pearl wasted no time in obeying Kohaku’s words. She watched as he loosened his tails as he dropped the trio onto their rumps. She watched as he looked over his shoulder and growled loudly. “Stay here, don’t move.” Before she could utter a reply, Pearl watched as he dashed forward.

Kohaku ran at full speed toward the two Timberwolves. As one slammed downward, Kohaku gripped the paw and launched himself upward. Landing his two rear paws into the second, sending it spirally backward. As he did so, Kohaku launched himself off it’s muzzle and punched hard against the face of the first.

Growling, Kohaku felt a large wooden paw wrap around a leg and squeezed. The sound of breaking bones echoed in his ears. With a whistle he sent a wave of foxfire down his leg, numbing the pain as he twisted and shattered the wooden muzzle of the first wolf with a powerful bash of his three tails. With a second whistle he waved his paw toward the second, sending the shards into the second wolf’s torso like daggers.

Pearl shivered as she watched the fight before her. She watched as the second wolf rushed forward and bit down hard against Kohaku’s chest, sinking those sharp teeth into Kohaku’s body. Even from this distance she heard every snap and crunch as flames erupted out of Kohaku’s markings. She wasn’t sure if the breaking were bones or wood. She watched as Kohaku landed on three legs. Blood dripped down his limbs as he positioned himself once more between the wolves and the fillies.

Somersaulting forward, Kohaku launched himself upward with his tails. With a corkscrew uppercut. She could have been mistaken, but she was sure he had shouted “Shoryuken!” at that time. Shattering the head of the first timberwolf as the second bashed it’s large wooden paw against Kohaku’s midsection. Sending him flying only to land before Pearl's front hooves.

Pearl watched as Kohaku struggled to get back up. But her heart fell as he flopped backward and passed out, blood trickling out of the side of his mouth. With a whimper she looked up and watched as the remaining Timberwolf dashed forward. Her world went in slow motion as it leaped up into the air, only to be struck in the chest by a powerful purple blast of magic. Shattering it into kindling. Looking behind her she found Twilight flying forward toward the five youngsters.

Her vision growing blurry, Pearl swayed back and forth before passing out on top of Kohaku.


Pearl groaned as she woke up in a hospital bed. An ice pack dripped down her face. “What happened? How long was I out?” Sitting up she looked back and forth. “Where’s Kohaku?”

“Pearl, calm down.” Twilight soothingly caressed her student’s mane. “We’re at Ponyville General. You fainted just as we arrived. You’ve been unconscious for two hours now. I have to ask. How are you feeling.”

“Uh, a little woozy. And my head hurts. But otherwise okay.” Pearl sighed out. Resting her hooves on the blanket covering her lower half. “But you didn’t answer me. Where is Kohaku?” Pearl looked into her teacher’s eyes, noticing that they weren't meeting hers. “Is he?”

“He’s in surgery right now.” Twilight sighed, bowing her head. “He was pretty banged up. But don’t worry. He’s a tough little fox. I’m sure he’ll be just fine. You just lay back and get some rest. The doctor’s say you can be discharged in a few hours. We’ll head back to the castle just in time for dinner.” Twilight touched her student’s shoulder for comfort before getting up.

As she reached the door, Twilight saw Pearl looking out the window. She knew she would sooner or later have to punish her young pupil for being in the Everfree Forest. But now wasn’t the time for that. Turning away, Twilight left the room to meet up with Buttercup and Rarity. The trio of mothers facing down their trouble making daughters.

Pearl Heard the door close behind Twilight but didn’t look. She looked at the open window at the horizon. The memory of what had occurred rushing back to her. She watched in her mind how the fight played out. Her heart had never beaten so fast, but it wasn't out of fear.

She wasn’t afraid, she was excited. She was in danger and a three tailed warrior had arrived to save her. Like he always had before, he was always there for her. He was like the samurai of old. His claws were his sword, even as his armor was damaged he never once faltered. Not once giving into his injuries until the very end when help had arrived. Closing her eyes tight, Pearl held a hoof to her chest.

“I don’t know if you're real or not. You’re not my gods, I may not believe in you, but he does.” Pearl’s voice shook as she spoke. “So please Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi. Don’t let him die. I can’t lose him. I can’t lose my fox. Not now.” A single tear streamed down her cheek as she kept her head bowed down.


Twilight sighed as she walked toward Buttercup and Rarity.

“How is she, Twilight?” Buttercup asked softly.

“OH Pearl’s going to be just fine. Like me, she’s worried about Kohaku.” Twilight took comfort in her two friends. Both mothers to the most rambunctious young fillies that ever walked across Equis. “I sent a letter off to Fluttershy. I hate to call her back, but with her little brother in such straits.”

“Now Darling, don’t go fretting over that.” Rarity placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulders. “I’ve seen Kohaku take a lot of damage from Timberwolves before, and he always came out smelling like a rose. This won’t be any different.”

“I agree. And to be sure, Mac is standing guard outside the surgery room. Ready to tell us at a moments notice if he’s okay.” Buttercup giggled. “Mac and AJ both adore Kohaku like family. I’m glad that they’ve both ‘adopted’ him as part of us apples. I would have done the same had I not seen the love Fluttershy had in her eyes for the boy. She’ always acts more like his mother then his big sister.”

“Something closer to what his birth sisters have done for him in the past.” Twilight looked out the window towards the afternoon sun. filling the horizon with shades of rich amber. A blessing for her student by his sun goddess if there ever was one.

“I also sent a letter to Applejack. But it’ll take time for it to reach Appleloosa.” Buttercup sighed. “I hate calling her back from a rodeo but knowing her devotion to family, she would want to be here.”

“Oh most certainly Buttercup darling.” Rarity also looked out of the window at the sight. “She’d be insulted if you hadn’t sent her that letter.”

The three mothers all watched the afternoon sun for a while before turning their gaze at three frightened fillies. Each one looking at their respected mother as if they were about to be executed.

“Shall we now deal with our rebellious daughters?” Twilight suggested as she stared down Scootaloo whos’ small wings flapped harder than a nervous humming bird.

“OH yes darling.” Rarity’s eyes met Sweetie Belle’s who appeared to be trembling the most.

Buttercup only nodded as she tilted her hat up and looked deep into Applebloom’s eyes. Causing the filly to look side to side out of the corner of her eyes, contemplating escape.


Fluttershy moaned pleasantly as the hot water bubbled all about her body. Easing every sore mussel, releasing all of her tensions. This past week was sorely needed for the animal caretaker. Granted she hated deceiving all of her friends and loved ones, but it was for a good cause.

Fluttershy knew that nobody would question her choice of relationships. But doing so much for so many, She wanted to be a little selfish and keep it to herself. Despite her beloved’s insistence. Listening to the clops on the marble floor the pegasus girl let out a tender purr at the feeling of a soft leg rubbing down her neck to her floof. And the soft sweet gentle kiss she received. A kiss that always tasted of sweet apples.

“You gotta letter.” the hefty southern accent whispered as the mare laid down on the marble floor. “It just appeared over the bed.”

Fluttershy took the open scroll and reached back with a wing to caress her apples neck. “Thank you sweetie.”

Opening her eyes Fluttershy felt a soft cheek up against hers for a moment. Turning her attention from her mare to the scroll, the caretaker started to read carefully. It was certainly from Twilight. Not surprising as Fluttershy did leave her friends a location to send any letter via dragon fire. Wondering what prompted her friend to send such a rushed note made her read on.

As Fluttershy reached the end of the letter, her breathing was heavy as her face dropped a bit.

“You okay sugarcube?” Applejack asked as she kept a firm grip on her marefriend. “I take it, it’s not good news is it?”

“No… my lil Kohaku… he’s in surgery. He was injured by a timberwolf.” Fluttershy turned around and gripped the edge of the hot tub. Tears welling up in her eyes. “I knew I shouldn’t have left. I should have stayed.. Should have…” a hoof planted on her mouth stopped Fluttershy from talking. Looking into those leaf green eyes, Fluttershy calmed herself.

“Now don’t be talking about that. Kohaku knew you needed this restful trip. I did too.” Applejack caressed Fluttershy’s cheek and neck tenderly. “We don’t know what all happened. But first things first is we need to get you back to Ponyville asap.”

Helping Fluttershy out of the hot tub, Applejack nuzzled her again and took a step backwards. “You don’t worry about anything but packing. I’ll get things going. Once you're gone I’ll settle things here and follow along after you.”

Applejack turned to leave when she felt Fluttershy rush up behind her and hug the farm pony from behind.

“No… I want us to go back together. I.. I need your strength to get through this.” Fluttershy muttered into the back of Applejacks’ neck.

“You do realize what that will mean right?” Applejack sat there with her marefrient hugging her tightly from behind. Those wings touching her front legs sent shivers across her body.

“I was going to tell everyone once we got back anyway… Well, tell Kohaku at least.” taking a sniffle she pressed herself harder into Applejack’s back. “I just wanted one more week with you as a secret. All to myself with nopony passing judgement.”

Applejack knew nopony would have ever passed judgement on the pair. The only one who might have had hard feelings was her brother Mac. But once he found out, he was happy that she and Fluttershy found each other. And was happy to help keep the secret. A secret she hated to keep, but for Fluttershy. Applejack would find a way to pull the moon from the sky for her if she asked.

“It’s okay Sugarcube. I understand completely. Now. Let's get ourselves back to our loved ones. Before I find myself a reason to delay the trip by a few hours.” Blushing, Applejack slipped herself from Fluttershy’s grip and looked over her shoulders.

“And like I said. Don’t fret any. Your little fox is going to be just fine.”