• Published 17th Jul 2021
  • 923 Views, 495 Comments

Gusty the Great book 1- The beginning - Dianabel



You might know Gusty the Great due to the fairytale, but there´s so much more to her than the book tells you. This is the origin story of the insecure mare that ended up freeing all ponies from Equestria´s greatest villain.

  • ...
1
 495
 923

Chapter 24: Talking about Lucena

“Mama, are you ok?” Luna asked to her mother concerned, seeing that she didn´t speak.

Nevertheless, she wasn´t prepared for her mother´s response.

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!” Gusty cried, creating a short but intense gust of wind that almost sent Luna away, hadn´t she held on to her mother.

“Whoah!”

“Sorry! Sorry!” Gusty apologized quickly as put her foreleg around Luna. “Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I´m fine. So… what now?”

Gusty took time to answer, as shock didn´t let her talk.

“I… I don´t know.” she put her hooves on her temples.

Meanwhile, Celestia and Buttons passed by the room´s door. The filly gasped when she saw her mother.

“Mama! Lulu!” she exclaimed happy as she ran down the stairs.

“Careful, careful.” Buttons reminded her, worried that she would get hurt.

Celestia´s voice caught both her mother´s and sister´s attention, causing the breezes to stop. Once she was near them, she hugged them both.

Glory leaned out. She sighed in relief.

“She´s here!” she called out to Majesty and the other unicorns.

“I was so worried about you! Where were you?!” Celestia asked upset to her family as the unicorns entered into the room.

“Sorry I…”

Seeing that her mother was having difficulty to speak, Luna finished for her.

“She needed to be alone.”

“I know, but next time tell me so I can go with you too!”

She toned down her anger when she noticed Gusty´s face. She sighed.

“Don´t worry mom, I know you didn´t mean it, but you really scared me. Even so, I hold no grudge.”

“She´s not like this because of that…” Luna explained.

“No? Then, why?”

Luna signed the prophecy with her eyes. Buttons and Celestia widened their eyes.

“Uh… Is this what I think it is?” Celestia asked incredulous.

Both Gusty and Luna nodded.

“Sacre bleu…” Buttons said in shock.

“There you are!” Majesty said as she made her way through the ponies. “If we are going to work together, you can´t-”

She stopped speaking when she saw the prophecy. She looked at Gusty, her mouth hanging from the shock. The latter smiled nervously.

“I… Was feeling overwhelmed due to having to use my wind magic so I ran away because being alone helps me to calm down,” Gusty explained gibbering. “but my youngest daughter found here and we talked, in doing so I told her about something that happened to me when I was a filly, which is me meeting a sheep I never saw again, and you were right about me being the Wind Warrior, because apparently that sheep really liked me, as when I finished the story I found her pendant and many green pieces on the floor, I joined them together and made this picture, which is me facing Grogar, meaning that the sheep chose… Me?” Gusty shrugged with a nervous smile.

Majesty said no word. She simply approached the prophecy, sat down and picked it up, examining it profoundly.

“Queen Majesty?”

“So it was here all this time…” Majesty thought aloud.

“What do you mean it was here all this time? I thought you knew.”

“I was never a hundred percent certain the prophecy was real.” Majesty clarified. “I came to know of its existence because of my family. They had heard it from spies and have searched for it for ages.”

“Is that one of the reasons you moved here?” Glory asked.

“Exactly. We never found it, but it must be because we searched for a paper not a crystal… Besides, none of us wanted to explore with detail the underground rooms.” Majesty bit her lip.

“Really? Why?” Celestia asked

Suddenly, they heard a scream. Everypony´s ears perked up.

“What was that?” Lancer asked with an eyebrow raised.

Galaxy looked around the room and realized one little thing.

“Fizzy! She´s didn´t enter with us, did she?” she asked Clover.

“No.” Clover shook his head, sharing Buttons´ worry.

“Now that I think about it, she didn´t enter with us either…” Buttons said as worried.

“Then where is she?”

“We know where she is. Follow us.” she approached Gusty´s ear. “You might want your daughters to wait outside, Gusty.”

Gusty and her daughters shared estranged looks.


Gusty, Celestia, Luna, Buttons and Galaxy followed Majesty, Glory, Lancer and Clover. They stopped in front of an arch.

“It´s here.”

“Are you sure you want to enter, my queen?” Glory asked her.

Majesty sighed

“I am not a little filly anymore. I´ve watched worse. And it´s time I enter.”

Lancer and Glory accompanied Majesty downstairs. The rest of the unicorns, except for Clover. widened their eyes.

“What is inside there that Majesty of all unicorns doesn´t want to enter there?” Galaxy asked shocked.

Clover looked away.

“It´s better if you see it yourself. But I´ll warn you it´s not pretty.”

“I´m not afraid of ugly.” Galaxy said confidently.

Clover smiled at her before he, Galaxy and Buttons went downstairs.

“Do we have to wait here like Majesty said?” Luna asked Gusty.

“Maybe it´s for the best.”

“Alright…” Celestia said in response. “But you´ll tell us what´s in there no matter what?”

“Yes. But it might be very terrifying. You don´t mind, do you?”

“Nope!” Luna replied.

Gusty chuckled.

“We won´t be long.” Gusty told them before going downstairs.

The two fillies nodded, watching intrigued how their mother entered the mysterious room.

Once the stairs were finished, she noticed the looks of horror in the ponies´ faces. She understood why once she turned her head in the direction they were looking. She gasped horrified at the sight and closed her eyes.

“Welcome… To the bell room.” Lancer said ironically.

“The bell room? Why that name?” Buttons asked confused.

“Because of what you´re seeing.”

“Does that look like a bell to you?!” Fizzy yelled.

“To Grogar it was…”

Gusty opened her eyes again but struggled to watch the `bell´. Said bell was comprised of twelve skulls, eleven on the floor and one of them hanging on the ceiling, tied to a rope. Gusty remembered what Drog, the troggle, told her about Grogar´s past. That´s when she realized what place they were in.

“This was Grogar´s congregation, was it?”

Majesty nodded.

“How do you know that?” Fizzy asked.

“Because I said it when we were on our way here.” Lancer said proudly.

“No actually I didn´t pick that.” Gusty said with an apologetic smile.

Glory held her laughter when she noticed Lancer´s face of disappointment.

“I guess this happened the day he burnt it.” Gusty continued.

“Not exactly. It happened in two separate days, but this is what led to the burning.” Majesty explained.

“So… Why did he do this?” Galaxy asked.

“Well, he hated this place.” Gusty replied.

“Not only that, it was also a demonstration of power.” Majesty added. “Not many know this, Grogar wasn´t always seen as the tyrant you don´t mess with. I don´t know all the details but my family said that he was a weak lamb.”

“And that must have made the masters think that he was no fit for a king…” Buttons deduced.

“That´s right. So, tired of being underestimated, one day he told to twelve masters that his first action as a king would be building a bell that would be heard throughout the whole kingdom. His masters laughed at his face but attended anyway to show they were right.”

“But Grogar was the one who was right. The bell he built rang throughout the whole kingdom.” Clover said. “And so would the one hanging from his neck.”

“Days later, Grogar was tried for this crime and just when he received his sentence, he unleashed his power.” Glory finished the story.

“And that´s when the building burnt.” Fizzy figured.

“Precisely. That´s how his days of conquest began.”

“No wonder his master read that prophecy!” Lancer commented. “Even though it wouldn´t work.” he muttered the last part.

Gusty´s ears perked up.

“His master read the prophecy?”

“Yeah. That´s why they don´t even mention her name!”

“And what was her name?”

“Lucena.” Glory replied. “Her name was Lucena.”

“Lucena…”

After years of wondering her identity and name, Gusty finally got them. But she still had lots of questions. What happened between her and Grogar? Why did she think that she would be the one who would defeat Grogar? There was still so much she didn´t know.

Could you tell me more about her?”


Meanwhile, at Grogar´s castle Drog and his friends were waiting nervously, Drog pacing around constantly. He stopped when the door was opened by some troggles. They exhaled tired.

“So?” Drog asked anxious.

“Nothing. Thankfully, none of us found her.” one of the troggles replied.

Drog and his friends sighed relieved.

“So that means that this is the beginning of Grogar´s fall, right?” a very young troggle asked.

“Yes.”

“I wish I could be as confident about that as you, Drog.” a female troggle told him.

“Well, that´s what helps me with my day to day.”

“In my case it doesn´t. And I´m pretty sure it´s the same for everyone here. Am I right?”

The other troggles nodded in agreement.

“Come on Yrsa…” Drog told her.

“Don´t come on me!” Yrsa replicated. “I´m just being realistic. If that prophecy is true why did it take so much time to happen?”

“I guess it´s a matter of time?” Drog replied a bit unsure. “Besides, most of the time her prophecies turned out to be true.”

“It could have been pure chance.”

“Or not! Don´t you see? We could be at the very beginning of our freedom!”

“Um… Whose prophecies are we talking about?” the youngest troggle asked.

“Lucena´s!”

Suddenly the door opened in a blow. The troggle gasped when they noticed that it was Bray who was responsible for the loud noise. The donkey´s eyes were widened and vigilant.

“Bray!” Drog laughed nervous. “Geeze… you scared us.”

“Sorry. It was not my intention.” he closed the door with the same intensity he had opened it. “I was just here to ask about if you had found Dusty.”

“It´s Gusty….”

“Whatever. I was here to ask about her until I heard the name, we do not speak.”

“You mean Lucena?” the young troggle asked innocently.

Quickly Bray, covered his mouth.

“Exactly! And if you want to stay alive don´t you ever say it again! Especially now. Thanks to that stupid unicorn, the emperor is so mad that he could destroy any of you at any minute. You hear me?!” he shook the troggle.

“Ok, ok. I think he gets it.” Drog gently separated the two.

“So did you find her?” Bray asked to the troggles that were commanded to search for Gusty.

“No sir.” the troggle lamented.

Bray sighed.

“Great. The emperor will be so happy!” he said ironically.

“But what does this have to do with Lucena?” the young troggle insisted.

Slowly, Bray turned to the young troggle.

“We don´t talk of Lucena.” he stated firmly.

“Come on Bray. He deserves to know. All of the troggles know about her and he should be no exception.” Drog put his hand on his shoulder.

Bray quickly shoved his hand off.

We don´t talk of Lucena, no, no.” Bray hit Drog´s chest with his hoof. Then, he faced to the young troggle. “We don´t talk of Lucena. But! She could see the future.

Was Grogar´s master.” Drog added, making Bray upset both for being interrupted and calling the emperor by his name.

Raised and taught him magic and considered him as her own son.”

The two were mother and son.

But years passed by and the rules he´d defy.

Murder!

You´re telling the story or am I?!” Bray yelled at Drog.

I´m sorry sir don´t kill me.

Bray rolled his eyes.

Seeing he gave her so much pain.

A prophecy was born.

A Wind Warrior was on her way.”

Her pendant in pieces was torn!

She became into dust in vain!

What a big mistake but anyway,

We don´t talk of Lucena no no. We don´t talk of Lucena.” Bray and Drog sang together.

None of them knew that Grogar was walking around and heard them. He opened the door and entered the room, surprising.

Hah! Just because the so precious Wind Warrior is on the run, doesn´t mean that the so-called prophecy has begun. I am the one who is in control in here. Sh! Sh! Sh! It´s a pity she has to suffer the consequences due to a sheep that couldn´t come into her senses, nonetheless I won´t stop until her last breath I hear!” as he sang he went up some boxes that formed a stair. His steps got louder and louder. Is that perfectly clear?!” he asked, intimidating Bray and the troggles.

At the same time, Gusty was listening to Glory.

A childless sorceress, escaping from war, thought it was a bless to find Grogar on the door. Only to have him constantly saying,

Hey!” Fizzy and Galazy vocalized.

We don´t talk of Lucena no no. We don´t talk of Lucena.” Bray, Drog, Grogar and Glory sang.

Every time she said what would happen, then boom!” Clover exclaimed.

Because.” Fizzy and Galaxy said.

She must have always been right! That´s what I assume.” Buttons commented.

Because!

But what if what she truly saw was her inside in a tomb?” Lancer suggested.

“Because!” Galaxy sang.

Hey…” Fizzy said upset at Lancer.

Your fate is sealed when your prophecy presumed!”

They told me that the life I worked for would be promised if the prophecy´s true.” Majesty sang as Gusty stared at her confused with her eyebrow raised, not sure if she should feel happy for her or angry for not thinking of her.

They told me that our kingdom would grow and be of the greatest virtue.

Hey, why are they taking so long?” Celestia asked Luna.

She told me that the life I worked for was not to be ensured. Its loss I would suffer.” Grogar lamented in pain once he was alone in his study. But I won´t let that happen.

Gusty.” Majesty called her. “You are destined for something great.” she held her hoof.

I won´t let that happen. IT WON´T HAPPEN!” Grogar smacked his hoof against the floor.

Lucena.” Gusty tried to process everything. Yeah, about Lucena. I need to know all about Lucena. Give me the truth and the truth Lucena!

Why is everpony singing?!” Luna pulled her ears confused.

Summarizing!

A childless sorceress, escaping from war, thought it was a bless to find Grogar on the door. Only to have him constantly saying,

Hah! Just because the so precious Wind Warrior is on the run, doesn´t mean that the so-called prophecy has begun. I am the one who is in control in here. Sh! Sh! Sh! It´s a pity she has to suffer the consequences due to a sheep that couldn´t come into her senses, nonetheless I won´t stop until her last breath I hear! She told me that the life I worked for was not to be ensured. Its loss I would suffer would suffer! And I´m fine. And I´m fine. I´ll be fine.” Grogar sang somewhat anxious.

“They told me that the life I worked for would be promised if the prophecy´s true. They told me that our kingdom would grow and be of the greatest virtue. Please be true. They told me that the life I worked for would be promised if the prophecy´s true. And I´m fine. And I´m fine. And I´m fine. I´ll be fine.”

She could see the future. Raised and taught him magic and considered him as her own son. But years passed by and the rules he´d defy. Seeing he gave her so much pain. A Wind Warrior was on her way. She became into dust in vain!

Was Grogar´s master. The two were mother and son. Murder! I´m sorry sir don´t kill me. A prophecy was born. Her pendant in pieces was torn! What a big mistake.

Hey, why are they taking so long?

Hey!

All the voices mixed together in Gusty´s mind as she put everything together.

Let´s go! Don´t talk of Lucena.”

Why did I talk to Lucena?” Gusty regretted.

Not a word of Lucena.

I never should have talked to Lucena!

Author's Note:

Fun fact: the bell room is based on a real legend from where I´m from.

God, the third part was so fun and difficult to write at the same time! But it was definitely worth in the end.

The song is a parody of We don´t talk about Bruno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFD4ozm1DA

The character of Lucena belongs to Emperor Grogar but I asked for his permission to use her a long time ago.

Enjoy!