• Published 17th Jul 2021
  • 924 Views, 495 Comments

Gusty the Great book 1- The beginning - Dianabel



You might know Gusty the Great due to the fairytale, but there´s so much more to her than the book tells you. This is the origin story of the insecure mare that ended up freeing all ponies from Equestria´s greatest villain.

  • ...
1
 495
 924

Chapter 21: Way to a new hideout

The unicorns reappeared in a place where neither Gusty and her daughters had been before. Judging from the landscape, they appeared to be in a valley hidden by mountains. Gusty smiled as she felt a comforting cold breeze caressing her face. It had been years since she last was in the mountains, and oh how much she missed them. Maybe it wasn´t the Himarelayas, but it still felt like home.

“Khangba…” she muttered.

Celestia and Luna heard her.

“What does that mean mama?” Celestia asked her.

“Home.” Gusty translated.

“Aah, because you lived in the mountains!” Luna exclaimed.

Gusty nodded.

“Well, I´m happy you like it because this will be your new home.” Lancer said as he pointed at a building under a rock up in the mountains.

“Not our home precisely.” Glory corrected. “We´re Queen Majesty´s guests.”

“That is Majesty´s secret hideout?” Gusty asked curious.

“Yup!” Lancer exclaimed.

“Wait. We´re living with a queen?!” Celestia asked perplexed.

“You really didn´t tell them anything, did you?” Lancer mumbled to Gusty.

Gusty grinned nervously.

“But I thought the only ruler in this land was Grogar.” Luna said confused.

“No wee one.” Glory told her with a smile. “It´s true that many, many years ago, before Grogar was ruler, the land was mainly comprised of pastures. But there was also a kingdom of unicorns.”

“Majesty told me that when I first met her.” said Gusty. “But I didn´t know her family´s castle was still standing. I thought it was destroyed by Grogar.”

“That´s not a castle, it´s a monastery.”

“A monastery? Oh! Was she raised in a congregation like Grogar?”

“She was raised in the monastery, but there was not a soul in there when her family settled in, unlike Grogar´s case.” Glory widened her eyes. “Wait. How do you know that?”

“It came to my ears during my stay in the castle.”

“So you still did your job despite messing up later.” Lancer giggled but stopped when he noticed Glory raising an eyebrow, slightly upset at him.

“But their castle is still standing. Only a little bit different.”

“Really? Where is it?”

“At the capital.”

“Grogar´s castle was Majesty´s family´s?!”

“As you heard. But it wasn´t always that scary. Like I said before, Grogar took some creative liberties while reforming it.”

“And she´s been hiding there since she was a filly.”

Glory nodded.

“Then this must be really well-hidden place for Grogar not finding out.”

“Well… He actually knows this place.” said Lancer.

“What?”

“It´s a long story but Majesty will explain it to you better than us. Plus, she must be expecting us.”

“Wait.” Glory stopped him by putting her foreleg in front of her. “We must wait for the others.”

“What others?”

Just after Lancer asked that, a flash of light appeared. There appeared Lancer´s and Glory´s workmates and Fizzy arguing with a slightly smaller, but bigger than Celestia and Luna, pink unicorn. None of them could understand what they were saying, as they were speaking their tongue, but judging from their facial expressions and voice volume, they knew that the two were really angry at each other, probably for something one of them did, as all of their manes were messy, their faces full of scratches and their clothes with some tears. They shared uncomfortable or confused looks with each other.

However Fizzy´s face changed when she saw Gusty.

“Gusty! You made it!” she gave her a hug.

“I see you made it too. Although… With more struggle than me I suppose. What happened?”

Fizzy sighed tired.

“Many things my friend. Many things.”

“You had to be in the castle! YOU TO BE IN THE DARN CASTLE!” one of the unicorns yelled at the pink unicorn.

“How was I supposed to know my sister was on the run?” the unicorn said in self-defence.

“You have a sister?” Gusty asked Fizzy.

“Oh!” Fizzy surrounded her sister with her foreleg and moved her towards her, despite her complaints. “Gusty, I present to you Galaxy, my little sister! Galaxy, this is Gusty.”

“Pleased to meet you Galaxy.”

“So, you´re the one that´s behind this whole mess. Why and how did you convince my sister to do crimes?!” she picked Gusty´s clothes.

“Whoah, calma hermanita calma.” she said to Galaxy as she separated her from Gusty. “Sorry, she´s not usually like this. She´s one of the sweetest unicorns you´ll ever meet but right now she´s overwhelmed by everything that has happened.”

“How can I not be?! We almost died!”

“I know you´re nervous but don´t worry I´m no criminal.” Gusty reassured Galaxy. “Ok, yes I am, but I never ever hurt anypony.”

“Then why is the emperor looking for you like crazy?”

“That´s something we´d also like to know.” Celestia asked curious. “You said you´d explain but you haven´t.”

“Oh. Who are you little filly?” Galaxy asked curious.

“I´m her daughter.”

Fizzy gasped. She covered her mouth.

“Is this your daughter?” she asked, trying to hold excitement. Her pupils grew in size.

Gusty nodded.

“This is Celestia. Say hi.”

“Hi!” Celestia shook her hoof. “I don´t really know who you are but I see you treat my mama well so… I like you!”

“Qué linda….” she muttered in a hight-pitched voice. “Wait. I thought you had two.”

Gusty noticed something pulling her tail. She turned around and saw Luna holding her tail behind her.

“It´s ok, Luna. She´s a friend of mine.”

“A friend?” Luna asked.

“Yeah! She won´t hurt you.”

Slowly, Luna got out from behind Gusty and walked to Fizzy.

“Um… Hi. I´m Luna.” she offered Fizzy her hoof.

“Oh you´re so cute!” Fizzy exclaimed as she picked Luna from the ground and hugged her so tightly that her eyes almost popped out of her orbits.

“Ok, I know they´re very pretty but they´re real fillies, not dolls, ok?” Gusty said as she took Luna from Fizzy and put her back next to her sister.

“You ok?” Celestia asked Luna, seeing that she was massaging her temples.

“My head…” Luna complained.

“Ok, are we done with the presentations?” Lancer asked somewhat annoyed. “Because Majesty must be thinking that we got caught.”

“Right.” Gusty said.

“Sorry.” Fizzy apologized.

As they were walking to the monastery, Gusty and Fizzy explained everything to Celestia, Luna and Galaxy.

“So let me get this straight.” Galaxy said to Gusty. “You lost your job, so you went out looking for a new job and after many fails you found this unicorn who told you that you could have a great job opportunity if you followed him, and he led you to a queen who isn´t a queen and she sends to spy on Grogar. Then, you met my sister and her friend as a consequence as you took information but then you messed up and now we´re in a place nopony knows of. Is that correct?”

“Pretty much, yes.” Gusty confirmed.

Galaxy squealed, almost sounding like a flute. Celestia´s and Luna´s mouths were wide open.

“That. Is-” Luna said but was cut off by her sister.

“AWESOME!” Celestia yelled excited. “You´re the coolest mom ever!” she said as she and Luna hugged Gusty.

“Awesome? Oh no!” Gusty exclaimed in disagreement as she shook her head. “What I´ve done is very dangerous, ok? Don´t take an example of this, I beg you.”

“But you´re the bravest mama anypony could ask for!” Luna replicated with so much energy. “Bravery is something everypony admires right?”

“Oh but being brave doesn´t mean you go out looking for trouble bonny filly.” Glory told Luna. “As the saying goes, one chooses their battles.”

“But mama isn´t a troublemaker.” Celestia replicated. “Are you?” she asked Gusty.

Lancer and Glory raised their eyebrows at Gusty.

“Well…. Not intentionally…” Gusty smiled nervously.

“It´s ok.” Fizzy patted her shoulder. “I understand you perfectly.”

“And despite messing up, she still takes you under her protection? Huh. She must be a really nice and understanding queen.” Celestia thought aloud.

Lancer held his laughter while Glory looked away.

“Um… Let´s just say that compared to my previous boss, she´s nice.” Gusty explained to Celestia and Luna.

“This is not her being nice though.” Lancer said to Gusty. “The only reason why she let you in is because you might be useful to her, otherwise she would have dumped you immediately.”

“Wow. And here I thought that we had a good-hearted ruler at last.” Celestia said sarcastically.

“Oh, Queen Majesty is nothing like Grogar!” Glory told Celestia. “She might appear cold at times but that´s because she has to be like that. Otherwise, others might bring her down easily. But she´s definitely not evil.”

“Well, at least she has a good eye on who to choose.” Luna said while looking at Gusty, who looked away embarrassed.

“What does she have in mind for you?”

“Wel… I… I don´t know. A small thing perhaps.” she lied.

“A small thing?! She literally thinks you are a prophecy!” Fizzy disagreed with Gusty.

Gusty threw her a death stare.

“What?” Fizzy shrugged. “It´s true.”

“A prophecy? What is it about?” Galaxy asked.

“Majesty believes that your mother is supposed to defeat Grogar.” Lancer replied.

Celestia and Luna gasped.

“You are going to defeat Grogar?!” Celestia held her foreleg.

“Well… I….” Gusty tried to explain herself.

“I knew you had potential for any job!” Luna exclaimed.

“There might be somepony who can defeat Grogar but it´s not-”

“Did you hear it? Our mama is going to defeat Grogar!” Celestia said to the unicorns that accompanied Fizzy and her sister.

“So you better not mess with her!” Luna added.

“Girls!” Gusty called them upset. “I´m not-”

“Uh… Is there something that I missed?” Galaxy asked confused to her sister.

“I´M NOT THE PROPEHCY!” she raised her voice to get her daughters´ attention.

Celestia and Luna stared at her.

“I´m not the prophecy, ok? Stop spreading that lie!”

“But the prophecy-” Celestia replicated.

“I´m not saying that the prophecy is false. I´d actually love to see somepony teaching Grogar a lesson! It might be true. But I don´t think that pony is me.”

“Ha! Glad I´m not the only one.” one of Glory´s and Lancer´s workmates said.

“Hey! Watch with what you say.” Glory said.

“What? Don´t you think it´s unfair that after she messes up she gets to still be here with us?” the other unicorn agreed with the stallion. “And probably Majesty is going to favour that incompetent unicorn over us,” she put her hoof on her chest to emphasize her point. “who have been training and working hard for her for years and who have never messed up for once! All for some kind of prophecy that some crazy old sheep made up.”

Though those words were often in Gusty´s mind, they somehow felt like daggers in her heart when she heard them from somepony´s mouth. She actually felt the urge to cry but she held her tears. She didn´t want to make another scene with her wind magic after all.

“That prophecy could be Queen Majesty´s opportunity to return to the throne, which is what she desperately needs right now.” Glory stated.

“But do you really believe in it?”

“I do. Maybe I´m not one hundred percent sure but it could be true. And if it makes Queen Majesty feel hope, the better.”

“I wish I could share the sentiment but if I´m honest I don´t believe in it.” Lancer gave his opinion. “If it´s true, why hasn´t it happened already? Who knows when that prophecy was made.”

“Sometimes miracles take time, I guess…”

“Besides, I somewhat agree with them, it annoys me that she´s still here with us by pure luck.”

As Lancer and Glory talked, Luna noticed a soft breeze. She looked at her mother and observed that she was keeping something to herself.

“Mama?” she asked as she reached her hoof.

“We´re here!” Lancer exclaimed. “Our new secret hideout.”

The breeze stopped when Lancer´s announcement caught Gusty´s attention.

“Well, it´s always been our main secret hideout.” Glory corrected Lancer. “But from now on, we´ll live here.”

“Ok, will you stop correcting or concreting every little thing I say?” Lancer said to Glory.

“Let me think. Mhmm…. No.”

Gusty´s and Fizzy´s families observed their new home. Compared to Grogar´s castle´s elaborate architecture, the monastery was much simpler and humbler. The arcs were rounded instead of pointed and the windows were much smaller. Gusty noticed that the carvings were similar to the ones she saw in Grogar´s castle, which made her think that Grogar must have been there in the past. The state of the building gave her more evidence. There were many ruins. Only a small part of the monastery was still standing.

“Shall we enter?” asked Glory.

Glory´s voice made Gusty to come back to reality. She nodded, and thus they entered the monastery.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone. Sorry for updating late. I haven´t been feeling myself lately. I´ve been very anxious for exams and a group project that´s taking the life of me (they usually do since I´m always the one who keeps it going). Don´t worry, I´ll be fine and I´ll try to keep on writing.

Hope you enjoy this small chapter at least.