• Published 17th Jul 2021
  • 924 Views, 495 Comments

Gusty the Great book 1- The beginning - Dianabel



You might know Gusty the Great due to the fairytale, but there´s so much more to her than the book tells you. This is the origin story of the insecure mare that ended up freeing all ponies from Equestria´s greatest villain.

  • ...
1
 495
 924

Chapter 20: Mama´s secret comes to light

“Uh… What?” Gusty asked confused.

“Oh, right.” Majesty chuckled. “You probably don´t know, but there´s a prophecy-”

“No, no.” Gusty interrupted Majesty. “I know about the prophecy, but why do you call me Wind Warrior?” she laid her hoof on her chest.

Buttons and Fizzy raised an eyebrow at her. Majesty blinked perplexed.

“Are you mocking me?” she asked upset.

“No! It´s just why me?”

“Um… You have wind magic, hello?” said Buttons.

“And you literally made Grogar fly!” Fizzy added. “Who else does that?!”

“Well, I´m pretty sure another pony could do that…” Gusty fidgeted her hooves. “Pegasi control weather, and that includes wind too…”

“Even if a pegasus had such physical capacity, they wouldn´t get to a unicorn´s hoof.” Majesty told her. “A unicorn has magic, and thus, they will always be more powerful than any other kind of pony.”

“But maybe there are other unicorns with wind magic.” Gusty replicated.

“That might be true. Yet you are the one that stepped on Grogar´s life.”

“That doesn´t mean that others won´t!”

“Gusty.” Majesty called her name to quiet her, but it was useless, as the anxious unicorn kept talking.

“How can you be so sure it´s me? The prophecy didn´t give a exact description.”

“Gusty.” Majesty repeated more upset.

“Besides my wind magic is a disaster! It only brings disgrace. And I´m not powerful. I can´t be the one to defeat Grogar!”

“Gusty!” Majesty raised her voice.

Gusty would continue arguing on why she wasn´t the Wind Warrior, but after she saw that her words upset Majesty, she decided that it was best if she kept her mouth shut.

“Fine. Keep denying your destiny. But stop for one second and think about your chances.” Majesty circled her. “Right now, you are at a huge impasse. The reason why you came to me on the first place is because you didn´t anywhere to go to. You were desperate to make a living. And if you hadn´t been so impulsive, you could have had a stable job and not starve. But that´s not happened, is it? You have two choices: you can leave me and wait for Grogar´s henchtroggles to capture you and then be burnt at the stake or you can come with me and not only have a chance of glory and riches, but a chance to survive. You decide.”

Gusty´s ears dropped as she looked to the floor. Majesty was right. If she set one hoof outside without her protection, she would have sealed her death sentence, and thus Celestia and Luna would be motherless. She needed to be alive in order to protect them.

“If I go with you, would I have to leave everything behind?”

Majesty nodded.

“Yes. But to my understanding, you must have nothing to lose if you joined me.”

Going with Majesty was also an option that Gusty wasn´t comfortable with. If she had to leave her previous life behind that meant abandoning Celestia and Luna, which to her opinion was far worse than dying, because she would leave them alone willingly. However, there was a third option that would bring her either more trouble or success. Though the three options had potential negative outcomes, only the third one could bring her what she wanted.

“Actually… I do.”

Majesty widened her eyes.

“What do you mean?” Majesty asked her.

“The reason why I came here was because….” Gusty took a deep breathe before resuming. “I have two fillies to feed. And I was fired from my previous job. We´re living with an old unicorn that lets us in her house as long as I bring money to the house. So we had the risk of becoming homeless or be taken as slaves and separated. And I couldn´t let that happen. And if you ask me what role my husband played in this, well I haven´t got a husband that helps me to take care of them! Not anymore.”

Majesty, Fizzy and Buttons stared at her as they listened her story. They had different expressions in their faces. Fizzy and Buttons had clearance whereas Majesty was angry yet also sad.

“Ok. Now, everything makes sense.” Buttons commented.

“I guess we have the full story now!” Fizzy exclaimed. “Anything else to add about you that could explain everything?”

Though the question might have sounded rude, Fizzy said it with an innocent and cheerful tone, so Gusty didn´t take it too seriously. She shook her head.

“No. Not for now.”

“So, you´re telling me that you joined me knowing the danger it could bring to your family?!” she asked angrily, although Gusty could also see that she was heartbroken. “Specially being two fillies! Those are even more vulnerable!”

“I know but I had no other choice.” Gusty justified herself but Majesty didn´t seem to listen, as she kept talking.

“They could be killed in any minute! Do you even know how much pain brings to lose a child?!” she asked almost in the brink of tears.

“Are are you ok?”

After Gusty asked that, Majesty realized that she had lost her composure. She rubbed her eyes and took some breaths.

“You are a very reckless mare, you know that?”

“I didn´t do this recklessly!” Gusty exclaimed upset. “I knew very well the dangers this job could bring but it was that or letting my kids die!”

“But not because of this.”

Gusty widened her eyes and calmed a little.

“Huh?”

“The situation that we live forces us to do things we would never do. Including putting our loved ones in danger to protect them, despite how paradoxical it might sound. And even though I might be royalty and you a poor mare, I understand what you´re going though. This is another widow speaking to you.”

Gusty widened her eyes. She never imagined that she would have one thing in common with somepony of royalty.

“Where are your fillies now?”

“Either home or at the marketplace.”

“And where is your house?”

“Near the wall.”

“Very well. Glory! Lancer!”

“My queen?” Glory asked as she and Lancer bowed.

“Escort her to her house to get her fillies.”

“Yes, my queen.”

“You´re letting me to get them before we leave?”

Majesty nodded her head. Gusty gave a little gasp.

“Thank you!” she said as she hugged her. “Thank you so much my queen.”

Glory and Lancer shared surprised looks. Angrily, Majesty undid the hug and took the dirt off her dress.

“We´ll wait you here.” she told Gusty, Glory and Lancer.

“Yes, your royal highness.” Lancer said. “Come along!” he exclaimed to Gusty.

“Um… Talking about family, I also have a little sister to take care of.” Fizzy added.

Majesty sighed frustrated.

“Where does she live?”


Meanwhile, many ponies were at the marketplace, Celestia and Luna being no exception.

“Ok. We have the bags of grain as Mr Prickly requested. What else did she request?” Celestia asked her sister.

“Um… I don´t remember… Oh! Some herbs, she did say some herbs.”

“But we can find that on our way back home. So, off to home we go!”

As they were walking, they noticed many troggles running around. One even bumped against them.

“Out of my way vermin!” he scolded them.

“My, the troggles sure are busty today.” Celestia commented. “Is there an outlaw on the run or something like that?”

Luna noticed a troggle hanging a poster on a wall. What caught her attention was that the pony of the picture resembled their mother a lot.

“Um… Tia, I think you should see this.”

“What is it?” Celestia walked back to Luna. She widened her eyes when she saw the poster.

“Is it me or does that mare in the picture look like mom?”

“No. It does.”

“But why would mommy be in a poster? And what is it about?” Luna narrowed her eyes as she tried to read.

Though the two had a very limited skill of reading, Celestia was better at it. So, she read it aloud for her sister.

“Wan… ted.”

“Wanted? Isn´t that what they say for… criminals?”

They shared confused and scared looks.

“Ok.” Celestia broke the silence. “It could be a mistake or maybe another criminal looks like mom. It can´t be mommy. She wouldn´t hurt a fly.”

Luna widened her eyes when something came to her mind.

“Unless…”

“Unless what?”

“Unless mommy accidentally let the wind out.”

Celestia pressed her lips.

“Well, until I have more evidence, I won´t believe that mommy is an outlaw.”

Their ears perked up when they heard trumpets. Just like everypony else, they ran to a platform.

“Hear ye! Hear ye!” a troggle yelled from a platform at the marketplace. “By imperial edict, warrant of arrest for an unicorn named Gusty, accused of treason against Emperor Grogar.”

Luna widened her eyes and looked scared at Celestia.

“Ok… Maybe there are other unicorns that are called Gusty.”

“Her physical appearance matches the following: white fur, bluish green and dark pink curly mane and blue eyes. Anypony found harbouring or helping her will be charged as well.”

“That sounds an awful like mom…” Luna said to Celestia.

Celestia blinked.


“I… I have so many questions.” Luna said to Celestia on their way home.

“Yeah.” Celestia agreed. “Treason against the emperor? How on earth did that happen?!”

“What are we going to do about Ms Prickly?”

“Not tell her. Isn´t that obvious?”

“Yeah, but sooner or later she´ll find out somehow.”

“Well, fortunately, Ms Prickly isn´t the kind of unicorn that gossips and goes out much, so it´s very difficult that she finds out.”

Luna stopped walking.

“Maybe she doesn´t need to gossip or get out of home to find out.”

“Why do you say that?”

Luna pointed at their house. At the door, there was Ms Prickly Crops talking to some troggles.

“I really should stop talking.” Celestia thought aloud before running along her little sister.

Meanwhile, Ms Prickly Crops argued with the troggles.

“I´m telling you. I have nothing to do with that Gusty!” she lied.

“If you´re lying to us there will be consequences.” one of troggles warned her.

“I´m an old unicorn, even older than you. I´m wise enough not to look for trouble.”

“Ms Prickly! Ms Prickly!” Celestia and Luna exclaimed as they ran to the house.

The troggles turned around. Ms Prickly widened her eyes and scowled at them.

“What´s going on?” Luna asked her.

“You know those fillies?” the troggle asked Ms Prickly.

“No. What are you talking about?”

Celestia and Luna scoffed upset.

“Well, they seem to know you.” the other toggle pointed out.

“That´s because everypony here knows me. Get out of here you two!”

Celestia and Luna gave a step backwards.

Meanwhile, Gusty, Glory and Lancer appeared near the house.

“You know what? If I had known that spell sooner, I would have saved a lot of trouble.” Gusty said to Glory.

Lancer smiled cockily. Glory shushed them.

“Troggles around.” she whispered.

Gusty gasped when she saw Celestia and Luna.

“Girls!” she exclaimed horrified.

Both Lancer and Glory held her.

“Not yet.” Glory told her. “We have to wait until they leave.”

“But what if they harm them and I´m not able to do anything?”

“That´s why you have to be aware of your surroundings.” Lancer replied. “So far, they aren´t doing anything to them.

Gusty watched anxiously how the situation evolved.

Luna looked at Celestia. The two nodded.

“We´re not moving out.” Celestia told Ms Prickly.

“This is our home.” Luna added.

“Was. You´re not welcome here anymore!” Ms Prickly said.

The troggles looked at each other. They couldn´t care less about the fillies but what was happening seemed intriguing.”

“You´re going to leave us for dead in the streets? What would mama think?” Celestia asked upset.

“Your mother left you for dead the moment she lost her job!”

The two fillies gasped. Even the troggles thought those words were harsh.

“Don´t you ever talk about mama like that!” Luna exclaimed, her blood boiling in fury. “At least she cares for us, unlike you! You only care about yourself! Besides, she got a new job.”

“Yeah, because betraying the emperor is such a great job!”

Ms Prickly covered her mouth. Celestia´s Luna´s eyes were wide open. The troggles frowned and pointed their spears at Ms Prickly Crops.

“I´m going to ask again. And you better answer honestly this time. Did you know Gusty?”

“Yes, yes.” Ms Prickly replied as she tried to move her throat away from the spare.

“Was she living with you?”

“Yes.”

“Did you know anything about her being a spy?”

“No, of that we had no idea. I promise, she hid that from me and her own daughters!”

As the troggles interrogated her, Celestia and Luna walked away slowly.

“They´re coming! They´re coming!” Gusty exclaimed.

“How do we know if you´re telling the truth?”

“You don´t believe me, fine. But do you want to know how to get Gusty? Lay a single claw on their daughters and she´ll appear. Never fails.”

“That´s actually a good plan.” the other troggle said.

“Yes,” Ms Prickly agreed. “But you´d better hurry if you want to carry on with that plan.”

“Why?”

“Cause they´re running away!”

The troggles turned around and noticed Celestia and Luna getting away.

“You two! Where do you think you´re going?!”

“Run!” Celestia told Luna.

The four creatures passed the bush in which Glory, Lancer and Gusty were hiding in.

“Ok, now it might be a great time to attack.” Lancer commented.

Gusty looked at Lancer´s shield.

“Give me that!” she exclaimed as she picked it up.

“Hey! That´s my shield!”

“Gusty!” Glory called her name as Gusty ran after the troggles.

Seeing that she wasn´t coming back, they decided to follow her.

Celestia and Luna arrived at a point in which they couldn´t no more, as the troggles ambushed them against a tree. They chuckled victoriously.

“Got cha.” one of them whispered.

Suddenly, just when things seemed to get really bad for Celestia and Luna, something hit the head of one troggle.

“What the-” the other troggle thought aloud confused.

But she couldn´t finish her sentence, as she was next. Once the two troggles were on the ground, they found out who was responsible for their loss of conscience. And the answer brought a smile to their face.

Gusty panted heavily as she held the shield.

“I´m sorry but you´re not taking my fillies today. Not today, not tomorrow. Never! You hear me? NEVER!” she talked to the troggles, even though she knew well they couldn´t hear her.

“Mama!” Celestia and Luna exclaimed excited as they ran to hug her.

“Girls!” Gusty hugged her girls tightly. “Oh, I´m so happy to see you!”

“Us too.” Luna replied. “But we´re also pretty upset that you didn´t tell us you were an outlaw.” she undid the hug.

Gusty sighed.

“You have all the right to be upset but now it´s not the time to explain. We have to leave. Now.”

“But where are we going?” Celestia asked them.

“Gusty!” a female voice exclaimed.

Gusty turned around and saw how Glory and Lancer ran to them.

“Listen. I don´t care what Majesty says, you have no right of taking my shield and using it like that!” Lancer said upset.

However, Gusty ignored his complaints and answered her daughter´s question instead.

“Wherever they´ll take us.

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas and stay safe everypony! Here´s my Christmas gift for you :raritywink: