• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 835 Views, 27 Comments

Racing Rainbow - FlutterMac16



"Living with her Aunt, RainbowDash indures love, hate, triumph, betrayal, loss, and many hardsh

  • ...
4
 27
 835

Kittens and The Letter

After Rainbow and her Aunt finished their heart to heart, Rainbow went to get the mail. She walked down the long driveway to the road. The air still misty from yesterday's rain. Small puddles of muddy water in every pothole. She felt her hooves moving in her boots as she slipped down toward the mailbox. She opened it got the mail. Then something caught her eye. She read the side of the mailbox. "Oldenburg". So that's the town I'm in. She thought to herself. With the mail in her mouth, she walked carefully back to the house.

"I'm back with the mail Aunt Stormy!" Rainbow called from the entryway. She pulled off her muddy boots. Then she trotted over and put the mail on the table. "Aunt Stormy? Where are you?" called Rainbow. She crept through the house searching for her Aunt. "Rainbow! I'm here! Sorry I had to feed the animals!" Aunt Stormy's voice came from downstairs. Rainbow glided down to the living room. She was standing on the back porch. With a motion of her hoof, Aunt Stormy told Rainbow to follow. She quickly tugged her boots back on and chased after her Aunt.

Aunt Stormy took Rainbow around the back of the house and up to the small brown barn. "Come over here. We have to use to side door." warned Aunt Stormy. Rainbow's boot clung to the deep mud. "Uh.... yea. Give me a minute." replied Rainbow. She tried to move her front left hoof. Nothing happened. She tried to move her hind legs. They didn't even budge. Oh no. I'm stuck. Crap. Rainbow mentally face-hoofed. She carefully slipped each hoof out of her boots. The flapped her wings and flew to her Aunt. Leaving the boots stuck in the mud.

The door squeaked as Aunt Stormy opened it. Inside were bales of hay and some old farm tools. Aunt Stormy walked in and pulled a cord, which turned on the light. The light was dim but got lighter after a few seconds. "This way. I want to show you something." motioned Aunt Stormy. Rainbow Dash followed. Aunt Stormy opened another door that led to an office. She turned on a light again. Rainbow's eyes grew wider. The room was covered with trophies and ribbons. Pictures of her Aunt covered in dust from being untouched. Then laying on the floor, something caught her eye. "Kittens!!" squealed Rainbow.

Rainbow crouched down by the baby animals. "Hello itiy bitty fuzzy wuzzies." she said in a babyish voice. Aunt Stormy gave her a look a disbelief. Rainbow's cheeks glowed red. "Uh...I....Their cute."she squeaked, quickly looking away. Hehe....Darn! You blew the coolness factor! she thought. "Soooo.......what are all these trophies from?" asked Rainbow. Aunt Stormy walked over to the desk ans stared at a picture. Her eyes looked as though she was about to cry. "Nothing really. Now come. I just wanted to show you the kittens." she said firmly. Rainbow looked at the kittens then back at her Aunt. Aunt Stormy walked over and flickered the light. "Alright alright I'm coming." Rainbow frowned.

Together they walked back outside. The sun was shining brighter and the air smelled fresh. The mud had dried and Rainbow's boots were easy to pull out. "Leave the boots on the back porch. Then meet me in the kitchen."ordered Aunt Stormy. Rainbow did as she was told. She slowly walked into the kitchen. Her eyes fixed on the ground. "Did you want something Auntie?" Aunt Stormy smiled. "Yes. Since you are living here now, I should tell you a few things. Come join me in the living room." Aunt Stormy motioned her over. Rainbow sat in a big brown chair. "Ready to start school yet?" asked Aunt Stormy.

Rainbow froze. Every fiber of her being stopped. Oh no. A new school! I'm going to be a new girl! I've never been a new girl!! She looked up, facing her Aunt. "To tell you the truth.....no. Not at all." Rainbow confessed. Aunt Stormy just nodded. "I understand. I was the new girl here once too. I admit, going to MeadowBrooke wasn't easy." Rainbow's face dropped. She didn't want to go to MeadowBrooke. She wanted to go back to her old school, Oakvale.

"Rainbow. It's alright. I'm sure everypony will welcome you with open arms and hooves." comforted Aunt Stormy. Rainbow just sat there. She was dazed, dreaming, off in another world. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. "I'll get it. I wonder who it could be." Aunt Stormy went towards the door. When she got around the corner, Rainbow crept upstairs. She flew through the hallway so the floor wouldn't make any noise. She went into the bathroom and peered out the window.

There was a stallion in a suit standing outside. He had a dark blue coat and a black mane and tail. Rainbow pressed her muzzle against the glass. He was holding a piece a paper and a letter. Rainbow still couldn't see him very well. She climbed up and sat on the windowsill. She opened the window and stuck her head out. She could just barely hear them talking. "Here is her letter. Please make sure she gets to read it. There is important information she needs to see in order to make it through without difficulties." said the blue stallion. After that he turned and walked back to his cart.

Rainbow closed the window. She sat there puzzled. Aunt Stormy yelled from downstairs. "Rainbow! I got something for you!" Rainbow flinched and toppled over. She landed in the sink, getting her backside coat all wet. She grabbed a towel and tied it around her like a skirt. She walked downstairs to see what her Aunt had for her. At the of the steps stood Aunt Stormy. Immediately she noticed the towel.

Aunt Stormy laughed to herself. A smile appeared on her face."Did you fall in the sink?" Rainbow's face lit up. She could feel her cheeks burning. "Yes...." she said sounding disappointed. "Well I'm also guessing you were listening in." Rainbow frowned. Aunt Stormy held out the letter. "It's OK. Here I have a letter from the school. I can read it with you."

Rainbow went over and sat on the couch. Tearing the side with her teeth, opening it. She read it aloud.

" Dear Miss Rainbow Dash,

We are glad to have to here at our school, MeadowBrooke Academy. Here we offer the highest level for preforming in sports and academics. I am your new principal, Mr. M. Star. Below we have a list of subjects for first year students.

1. Level 3 Mathematics
2. Level 3 Life Science
3. World Studies
4.Language Arts
5.Technology
6.English
7.Spelling
8.Gym
9.Art
10.Music

Hope you enjoy MeadowBrooke. Go to the main office on the first day of school for a list of your teachers.

-Mr. M. Star"

Rainbow's mouth dropped. "WHAT! Oops.....sorry, but 10 classes! Don't you think that's a little much for an 8 year old?" Aunt Stormy snickered. "This school has high standards. It's just one of the things in Oldenburg that makes it............... special." she replied. "You do know that the day after tomorrow is you first day of school. Right?"