• Published 12th Jul 2021
  • 712 Views, 9 Comments

The Centaur Conspiracy - 5u0myn0n4



Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow, explore secrets, and uncover startling revelations.

  • ...
3
 9
 712

Chapter 3

Underneath the night sky. The... Legion of Good? Them. Just them.

They were taking a rest for the night after their long day of traversing Equestria.

Amber and Chrysalis were snoring away together, while Cozy huddled close to Tirek.

Cozy Glow closed her eyes and tried to sleep, but she could tell Tirek was still awake.

"You okay there?" she asked.

"I'm fine." he replied.

Cozy wondered if Tirek didn't even want to embark on this adventure at all. She could totally understand why.

"I take it you didn't leave on the best of terms." she said to him.

"Not exactly..." he replied.

"Then don't go. I don't want to force you to do something you don't want to do." Cozy said with concern.

"I don't want to, but it's not you. I'm forcing myself to go." Tirek said. "I left my family a boy. I won't be a man until I make amends with them. I don't have much to show for my efforts, other than you all."

Cozy nodded happily. "Chrysalis and I both resolved our family issues, and we're with you for this."

"Thanks." Tirek said with sincerity.

"Now get some shut eye. Don't want your mom or dad seeing you with crusty old eyes." Cozy said.

Cozy laid down, and closed her eyes. She fell asleep next to Tirek. And Tirek actually fell asleep relatively effortlessly that night. Sleeping was easier with his favorite mare Cozy Glow next to him.


After days of trekking, the group had crossed into a wasteland environment. It wasn't hot, there was plenty of breeze, but very few vegetation or plant life was to be found. The soil was dry, and any trees they saw were dead.
On the vista, they were surrounded by rocky cliffs in the distance.

"You sure this is the place?" Chrysalis asked.

"It most definitely is." Cozy answered for Chrysalis.

"Some uh... place you grew up in Tirek." Amber said.

"The environment breeds the offspring. You didn't think someone as strong as I grew up in some fuzzy meadow did you?" Tirek said.

This was definitely the land, however, there were no signs of any artificial structure just yet, and our crew was getting tired. Amber and Chrysalis were nearly out of breath.

"You sure you know your way around?" Chrysalis asked.

"It has been ages since I traversed this land, so forgive me if I have trouble navigating." Tirek said.

"I think you're doing a fine job." Cozy said, embracing Tirek's side.

Amber was becoming delirious from the heat. Chrysalis kept her shaded under one of her wings. Even so, the little unicorn had multiple visions during their trip.

"Huh? Is THAT Midnight Castle?! Or is it another mirage?" Amber asked.

"Wait, I think it is!" Cozy exclaimed.

In the distance was a structure that was definitely artificial. Our group had finally found their destination.


Midnight Castle was about as bog standard as castle architecture goes. A touch out of date, but classy in its own right.

"Talk about gothic architecture." Chrysalis said under her breath.

Tirek stared at the castle intently. Seeing the structure was enough to make him stiff and relapse memories.
The other three had less of a connection to the structure, and were more interested in getting a move on.

"So... how do we get inside?" Amber asked.

"Usually someone is always watching the gate, but there doesn't appear to be any one now." Tirek said.

"So does that mean?" Chrysalis asked.

"It means that no one is here." Tirek said.

"Perhaps we should knock before we give up?" Amber asked.

"Knock on what? It's a drawbridge." Tirek said.

"Hello. Pegasus pony here." Cozy said.

Cozy was already halfway across the moat using her wings. She made her way to the up drawbridge.

"Wait!" Tirek and Chrysalis exclaimed and reached out.

Cozy flew across the moat to knock on the up drawbridge.

*knock knock*

Cozy knocked her hooves against the wooden drawbridge.

After a couple of knocks, and waiting patiently, it seemed there was no response.

"Huh..." Cozy said.

"Told you no one was home." Tirek said.

"That's unfortunate..." Amber said, looking down. "Do you suppose they're even... still around after all this time?"

"I mean, Tirek's still here after all this time." Chrysalis added.

"Hmph. Well we tried, we came. But it doesn't look like anyone's rolling out the welcome wagon for us." Tirek said.

"So much for that..." Amber said.

Chrysalis put her hoof to Amber, and the filly leaned against the changeling queen.

The legion was about to give up after not finding anything.

"A short story this time..." Cozy said.

"We came all this way, now time to head out..." Tirek said.

"You really just want to head home? They may not be here, but there's got to be someone nearby. Maybe they'll come back. Maybe they're-" Chrysalis went on, but Cozy interrupted.

"Shh." Cozy shushed.

"Rude." she said.

"You hear that?" Cozy asked. "There is something going on in the castle."

"Sounds like... chains?" Chrysalis asked.

The three at the shore took some careful steps back. Cozy herself flew back and landed on shore next to them.

They heard the sound of rattling chains from behind the walls. Suddenly the drawbridge started to budge. Cozy flew back to the land, and beside Tirek.

The drawbridge slowly lowered, and opened, and created a walkway leading inside.

"Be prepared. We don't know who's in there." Tirek said.

"Who could possibly be inside Midnight Castle besides..."

Amber hid behind Chrysalis' front leg. Cozy landed on Tirek's back, and put her front hooves on Tirek's shoulders.

The drawbridge opened, and at the entryway, there was no one.

"Maybe it was just loose and you knocked it over. There may still not be anyone here." Tirek said.

"Perhaps I jostled the drawbridge loose, and it's just a matter of journeying beyond the junction to see what's inside." Cozy said.

"Wait?" Amber asked. She listened to what was inside.

"What's that?" Chrysalis asked.

The castle wasn't as empty as their initial assumption had led them to believe. Through the front entrance there was an entry room, and they caught a glimpse of the shadow of a figure lurking inside.

*gasp*

"AHH!!!"

The two ponies clung tighter to their respective creature.

Inside the castle stood a hooded figure.

"Show yourself!" Tirek exclaimed.

"Who is that?" Amber asked.

"Who are you?!" Tirek exclaimed.

The figure stepped out of the shadows and walked onto the bridge. There it was. No one could fully believe their eyes. Finally teh figure spoke.

"Oh. You bunch look like you've never seen another centaur in your lives. Besides I guess him." they said.

"Another, centaur?" Amber asked.

The creature undid their hood revealing themselves to be centurion by nature.

"Who exactly are you?" Chrysalis asked.

"My victims, err, friends call me, Torre. Full handle, Torre the Tormentor. Or Torre the gatekeeper." he said.

He paused awkwardly, then spoke once again.

"You'll have to forgive my slowness, we don't often get visitors." Torre said.

"We?" Chrysalis asked.

"What exactly are you?" Amber asked.

"I'm a centaur, just like your confidant there... err... what's his name? Starts with a T, I know it. Um..." Torre said.

"Lord Tirek." Tirek said.

"Lord Tirek! Yes. That's your name." Torre had said. "What a pleasure it is to welcome you to our domain."

"...Your domain?" Tirek asked.

"Our?" Cozy asked.

"Well, a plural of two." Torre said, holding two fingers up. "Oh, I'm not so good at explaining. Uh... but I was instructed I should let you in. Do come in. Please, it'd be our pleasure. We relish in welcoming guests."

Torre turned around and led the way inside the castle.

Torre turned around, and slowly walked into the castle.

"I didn't know midnight castle was home to more centaurs." Cozy said.

"It isn't... At least, not the last time I was here..." Tirek replied.

"I'm not so sure about this..." Chrysalis said. "Who's this new guy?"

"Think he knows about King Vorak, or Queen Haydon?" Amber asked.

No one replied to her. Answers would have to come in due time.

Against better judgement, Tirek led the way inside.

Chrysalis stood, and looked back. Something about the landscape seemed... tampered with...

"What's wrong, Chryssie?" Amber asked.

Without replying, she looked away and went inside with Amber.


Meanwhile, Grogar and Sludge continued their plan.

The two creatures were, frankly, on a path to nowhere at the moment.

"So what exactly is your plan Mr. Grogar? You ain't got your powers, so really, you probably couldn't even beat a Bugbear." Sludge said.

Grogar was not one to let a lower creature talk down about him.

"But did the Bugbear escape from Tartarus? No it did not." Grogar snarled back.

"But I escaped from Tartarus, and I'm an idiot. What's your point?" Sludge asked back.

"Your escape was a by product of my plan. Tartarus may be home to Equestria's most vile creatures, but there is only one father of monsters." he said.

Grogar halted his pacing and took a heavy breath.

"That infernal Lord Tirek. After he double crossed me and sided with that pony Cozy Glow, he left me with nothing. Well, I'm not one to let go of a grudge. I will get even with him, and take something from him that he holds dear to himself."

"You still haven't answered how are we gonna do that. Again, you're like, weaker than a Bugbear." Sludge said.

What made Cozy such a formidable force, was she always had a plan. So to counteract, Grogar needed one of those. A plan I mean.

"If I'm going to beat Tirek and his group, I'm going to need to do what they did. It burdens me greatly to say this, but I need to assemble a... What's it called? Starts with a T, ends in e-m."

"A team?" Sludge asked.

"Precisely. One of those. There is only one father of monsters, but if enough monsters bend to my will, then no goody goody four hooved reformed villains will be able to stop me." he explained.

"Recruit villains? In the friendly world of Equestria? Good luck with that. You would have had better luck sticking in Tartarus and recruiting some of them." Sludge said.

"Forget Tartarus. I need some creature who's intelligent." Grogar said.
"Yeah?" Sludge said.
"Cunning." Grogar added.
"Yep?" Sludge said again.
"Someone devious, and is hell bent on achieving their villainous scheme!" Grogar continued.
"I like that!" Sludge said.
"We need an absolute relentless heathen!" Grogar shouted.

"YES!" Sludge exclaimed excitedly.

"We need an absolute maniac!" Grogar shouted.

"A... maniac?" Sludge asked.

"Yes, now stop responding to everything I say." Grogar said.

"Maniac... That sounds familiar." Sludge pondered.

"What are you on now?" Grogar asked.

Sludge thought for a moment, then suddenly his mind clicked (for the first time in his life), and he remembered what he was thinking.

"I got it! Check this out." he said.

Sludge reached into one of his many folds, and pulled something out. The sight of Sludge reaching into his inner flaps made Grogar gag.

"This! I think Spike called this a 'comic book'. I've held onto this book since I stayed at Twilight's castle. Must've got lodged into one of my many glands ever since then."

Grogar looked at the book with disgust, he didn't even want to touch it.

"It's one of them books. With pictures, and take a look inside." Sludge said.

"What am I supposed to do with that?" Grogar asked.

"You want a maniac? Why not THE Mane-iac?!"

Sludge opened the comic to the centerfold page, which depicted a terrifying two page illustration of Mane-iac. A tall mare with green hair, and a crazed look in her eyes.

"A mare from Maretropolis, known for causing terror and thwarting the likes of the power ponies." Sludge explained.

Grogar rolled his eyes so hard, his eyes spiraled.

"There's one problem. She isn't real!" he exclaimed.

"Yeah well, this is Equestria. Land of magic, and plot conveniences. I think this here comic oughta be more useful then you let on." Sludge said.

Grogar stared once again at the Mane-iac illustration. With such a rich history of spells and incantations in Equestria, then there absolutely must've been a way to bring the Mane-iac to life.

"Hmm... Perhaps something of that sort is not out of the realm of possibility." Grogar said. "Whatever it takes, I will do whatever it takes to recruit my own legion of evil doing."

Author's Note:

Apologies if this story... let's just say, doesn't have the passion that some of my earlier stories had.

I'm still going through a rough patch in life, plus, my drive to write stories isn't what it used to be. I still wanted to pursue this idea, so I published the story, and I can already feel my drive running low...
Set up is one of the hardest things to write, so I'm kind of just rushing through this. The story gets more interesting, or at least I think the later chapters will be more interesting.

I poured my heart and soul into pretty much all my previous stories, but if it looks like I'm half-assing this story, I apologize.

In the meanwhile, the Cozy Glow Short Story Contest 2 was recently announced. Am I going to enter?
Yes. I am writing one story story for the contest. I'm personally excited for what I have in the works, but I'm a bit anxious it may not click with many readers. Despite what I've said about this story here, I have been working tirelessly for the past 2 weeks, and been putting actual effort into the contest entry. It'll be 4 or 5 chapters. When the story is fully done, I'll post each of the chapters once a day on a specific week in August, (or September if it takes that long...)

Sorry if I come across as a bit negative again. Rough patches just tend to crop up every so often for me. There is stuff to look forward to on the horizon, so I hope everyone has a good day, and many more.