• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 1,680 Views, 94 Comments

Taking Flight - David Silver



Both on the edge of adulthood, they found each other, but look out over a vast and terrifying time. Hand in hand, scales against feathers, they draw strength as they take the next step together. Spike and Gabby had much to look forward to.

  • ...
11
 94
 1,680

8 - Meet the Folks

"Come in!" bid a unicorn mare with a bright smile. "Who would have thought it would be our little Spike that'd bring home somepony first."

"Somecreature, isn't it?" came the call of a male from deeper inside. "Right on time. Attaboy, Spike!"

Spike chuckled softly at that. "Made sure we were on time." Just the way dad liked it. "Hey!" He advanced to give Twilight Velvet a warm hug, returned with a wrapped arm. "Mom, meet Gabby." He gestured back at her in a wave. "She's the best."

"Stop it!" squeaked Gabby with a blushing smile.

"Well she must be." Velvet waved for Gabby to come in. "No creature less than that would get Spike to bring them home, hm? Now, you two have come so far--"

Spike glanced over his shoulder, the castle within sight. "Not that far?"

"Hush." Velvet pointed to a tray of snacks on the front table, Night Light seated just beside them. "Refresh yourself. I was just getting the drinks."

"Ooo, cookies, smell fresh." And so Gabby went to try some. "You bake?"

"For special occasions," sang Velvet from the kitchen where the sounds of light preparation could be heard. "Like when one of my sons brings home a special somecreature. Oh. Oh dear. It's hard to even think about, that we're 2 for 2 on that. Spike!" Her head poked free of the kitchen. "Is Twilight any closer?"

Spike snorted at that. "As if... She's not even looking."

Gabby rubbed at her beak, sending a few crumbs flaking away from the cookie she had demolished. "Your cookies are really good!"

"Thanks." Night Light was grinning. "Ten minutes for refreshments, then we have some games to play." He clopped eagerly. "I have quite the evening planned out."

"To the minute," finished Spike with a little smirk. "Dad, you know you can relax a little, right?"

"But I am relaxed?" He inclined his head softly. "And happy to spend it with you two."

"A happy family." Velvet set down a previously floating tray with a big caraffe and many cups arranged around it, already filled with sloshing offering. "Cookies without something to drink? Hardly fun."

They had a quiet moment, sipping and nibbling. Gabby broke the quiet. "So, hey, you two have lived here, like, forever?" She waved a hand at the building in general.

Night Light shook his head. "While it can feel like that sometimes, we both came from outside this house, and moved to it, together."

Velvet bobbed her head. "One of our first big decisions, as a married couple. Haven't regretted it! A stable place for us, and for our children. It's nice to have a place where even they can return to, when they have things to share."

Night looked between Spike and Gabby with a considering hum. "At what stage of courtship are you, exactly?"

"Darling." Velvet thumped him lightly, hoof applied to the side of his head. "There are nicer ways of asking that."

Spike took a sip to cover the urge to cough. "Uh, we're special somecreatures to each other?"

Gabby laughed a little manically. "We haven't decided that yet. I mean..." She fanned herself. "Spike is great, don't get me wrong. But he's busy, and has a whole world to deal with. I can't just--"

Velvet's hoof found Gabby's beak, silencing her with a silent press. "I hear somecreature working very hard to talk herself out of things. Like a certain stallion I knew once."

Night began to color. "It's about time to start the games!" he blurted perhaps a bit louder than required. "I hope you're ready." His magic swept away most of the clutter on the table, moving it off to a counter out of the way. "We have quite the array of tests ready."

Velvet snickered softly. "He hasn't gotten better at that." She drew her hoof back from Gabby. "Say what you mean. You only live once, may as well make the most of it. Nothing like the thrill of the moment to really make you feel alive," counseled the adrenaline junkie that was also a caring mother. "You'll regret it later if you don't."

Gabby turned to find Spike already reaching for and taking her hand. "There's no rush," he assured. "We're cool. Let's just enjoy being each other's +1."

She thumped head head against his. "Plus one against being bored or lonely. I'll take that bonus." The two laughed together at their roleplaying humor.

Velvet did not get it. Instead she drew over a floating small box. "Let's begin with this, a classic!"

Game night began properly. Some of the games had to be explained to Gabby. Griffons didn't spend much time playing board games with their friends, but she was a quick learner and eager atop that, and she even won some of the time. Not that she was too pouty when it didn't go her way. "Wow, you have so many different games." She threw her hands wide. "How do you even pick which one you want to play?"

"That's what a schedule is for." Night Light looked quite confident in his logic. "Speaking of that. I believe it's time to enjoy some dinner."

Velvet's nose danced. "I think you're right." She bounced to her hooves and with a lively trot was lost to sight. She re-emerged in almost no time at all, a large tray floating in her magic. "I hope you brought your appetites!" And down it went right where the board games had been.

Night had cleared the space while Velvet was going, the two working in harmony without a word between them. "Now, we knew who our guests were this evening, so we made double sure to have exactly what'll tickle your tastebuds."

Velvet was humming a drumbeat, her magic focusing on the top knob of the cover. "Ta da!" She wrenched it free to reveal a dish that smelled of fagrant spices, glittered with gems, and hints of...

"Fish?" Gabby perked up. "Wow, you went all out."

Velvet set the cover aside and sank down. She grabbed a serving knife and spoon and got to work dispending the treats to everycreature that offered a plate. "Now, in case you thought so, fish isn't an unknown thing with us ponies. We prefer vegetarian food, a lot, but a little fish isn't bad for you."

"This recipe came from my grandma," added Night Light. "Minus the amethyst flakes."

Spike could see the flakes were distributed just so, making it easy to serve him a glittering plate and others without. "You shouldn't have." Really, they could have offered him a shaker! Though, warmed gems that were cooked alongside of the food did gain a different flavor.

He took a nice crunchy bite with a soft mmm of satisfaction.

"I think we made the right decision." Velvet raised a hoof, met with Night Light as the two clapped in solidarity in their joy at their decision. "Now less talking, more eating!"

Things became quieter, at least in conversation. The sound was replaced with eating for a small time. "Spike." Night Light was slurping up a last bit. "What's it like? You and Twilight. She's calmed down a bit, but you're still going all over the world. You must see some things."

"The stories I could tell..."

"I got some!" Gabby was bouncing in place a little. "I got to go with him sometimes. There's so much out there, and I was a bit of a traveler before I met Spike." She snortgiggled. "Maybe that's why we get along so well?"

Spike wobbled a laden fork at her. "Not just that." And away it went with loud crunches. "But yeah, seeing the world is great. There are a lot of things outside of Equestria. Not that Equestria is bad."

"You kidding?" Gabby leaned forward over the table. "Equestria's great, and we get to go to places, and come back to Equestria. That's a win win right there." She nodded firmly, pausing her eating to slurp up some drink. "What about you two?"

Night Light inclined his head towards Velvet. "Well, I'm not the adventurous sort, but honey here, that's another story."

"Stop that," she weakly defended, a smile on her face. "I like new and exciting things. That's why I got together with Night Light."

Both Spike and Gabby looked between the two unicorns, trying to figure out how Night Light qualified in that way.

"What?" Velvet extended her tongue. "He's the only stallion that is new and exciting every day." She threw a leg over his withers, drawing him close. "And he puts up with my hijinks. I get him, and he gets me."

"And I have no complaints." He touched his nose to her cheek. "Even if I sit on the side, I'll gladly cheer you on, my thrilling wife."

"And knowing you're there, cheering me on, means a lot." She returned the gesture, smooching his cheek. "And you keep me on track." A little giggle burst free of her. "And on time!"

"I do what I can." Night Light sat up proudly. "Now, all done with dinner?"

Spike set his plate down. "It was great!"

Even as Gabby echoed that, Velvet was eyeing Spike. "You realize, you're getting some to take home." She pointed at the serving platter. "If it shines, it's yours, dear son of mine."

"I got it!" Night Light's horn was already glowing, getting some plastic trays to secure the extra food in, popping the tops on and setting it just in front of Spike. "There you are, all set. Now! Next step of the agenda."

Gabby leaned over, whispering gently, "Wow, he really did plan it all out, didn't he?"

"Every step," assured Spike with a wry grin, helping get dinner put away. "So what's next?"

"Now I take her away." Velvet returned, the dishes all put away for later cleaning. She hooked Gabby with a leg and led the confused griffon away.

Night Light nodded at Spike. "And that leaves us. So... son, there are things we should discuss." He glanced over at a clock. "And we have fifteen minutes to do so."

That surprise was planned? Of course it had been. "What's up?"

"You're an adult now, Spike. You get to choose what you do and where you do it." Night worried his hooves together. "I'm not challenging that. I'm your friend as much as a father, at this point. You could walk away, never talk to me again, not much I could do about it."

Spike paled at the idea. "I'd never!"

"Which is why you're a good son and dragon." He set a hoof on Spike's shoulder. "My haven't you grown."

Spike snorted at that. "Everycreature points that out."

"Because it's true, but setting that aside." Night cleared his throat. "It's well past time we discussed the birds and the bees."

Spike darkened instantly. "Woah! Um."

"Don't be embarrassed. You are past that age, and you have a girlfriend." He inclined his head towards where Velvet and Gabby had vanished. "It's time to learn what that means, and how to do it safely, for both of you."

Spike sputtered. It was just not the conversation he had expected to have with Night Light. "Dad, I know how that works!"

Night inclined his head faintly. "You do? Who taught you?"

Spike blinked owlishly at first before a little frown replaced the expression. "Dad... I've read how many comics? I've been in how many kingdoms? Let's be real. I'd have to be blind and mute to not have a least half a clue."

"I thought those comics were rated safe for foals..." Night Light tapped at his chin, having perhaps second thoughts on the safety of those comics. "Uh, we still have time... I just want you to know that we're here, and, uh, if you two decide to have foals, er, chicks, um..." There was no one word... oh! "Children! If children are in your future, do not hesitate to come to us. We're here."

Spike took Night's right hoof in hand. "I know, and it means a lot... We're not... at that stage... but..."

"If you do," completed Night with a gentle smile. "Don't forget us. Besides, if Velvet doesn't get to see her grandchild, she may well hunt you down."

Author's Note:

Aw, that entire chapter felt so soft and comfortable. <3

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!