• Published 6th Sep 2012
  • 4,272 Views, 59 Comments

Touching the Moon - Lucky Break



News of a friend's passing reminds Luna of her past, and the bittersweet memories it holds.

  • ...
2
 59
 4,272

Chapter One

If there was one duty that Princess Luna did not mind having to perform for a thousand years, it was holding court and dealing with dozens if not hundreds of ponies everyday. Granted, she had her own night court, but it was much smaller and did not have as much in the way of the attendees. The thought of having to keep up appearances for hundreds of ponies made Luna shudder with apprehension. Luna couldn’t comprehend the fortitude her sister must have that enabled her to see row upon row of ponies clustered together with an idea, petition, or grievance that could only be solved by the Princess. It was almost enough to make Luna glad she had been on the moon. Almost.

Since her return, Luna was pleased to see that ponies had come to enjoy the night she had so painstakingly worked on. It was even quaintly named “the nightlife,” a term that made the princess giggle and clap her hooves privately every time she heard it. It wasn’t like the hustle of the day, but it was more than enough. It was actually the night lifestyle that brought ponies to her court. Ponies looking to open new clubs or bars, bringing new drinks and food for the princess to sample and approve of. Occasionally she would have to mediate a disturbance, although Luna quickly learned that it was usually some minor complaint or grievance.

Her small court was her sister’s way of trying to get Luna used to the new Equestria, and vice versa. She was grateful for her sister’s efforts, doubly so that she didn’t have to worry about the day court, but the lack of ponies seeking her advice or approval meant that most of her night was spent lounging on her cushions while playing games and eating snacks, hastily hidden anytime a pony entered the room. Luna was content though, she really couldn’t feel otherwise after her imprisonment.

Shaking her head to rid her mind of painful memories, Luna decided to pull out something special. She excused herself from her guards, explaining she needed to retrieve something and then made her way to her bedroom. Upon arriving to her suite she disregarded the rest of her room and moved to a locked cabinet that adorned a wall beside her bed. Reaching it, Luna looked around making sure nopony was paying particular attention to her. Even her sister didn’t not know the full contents that this cabinet contained, and Luna had even gone so far to make her sister swear an oath that she would not pry into it. One could never be too careful though.

With the coast clear, Luna unlocked the cabinet with a simple spell, opening the doors revealing only a few items. One was a only letter, yellowed with age, and a large metal capsule that was dented and slightly charred. The final item was a black box smaller than the capsule with an assortment of knobs, a telescoping metal rod and cord attached to it. It was the only one of its kind, and priceless to the princess. It was an old radio, and while radios were common, this one was the only of its kind. The radio was gathered in Luna’s magic as a small smile crossed her dark blue muzzle.

Princess Luna made her way back to the courtroom and settled back into her cushions as she placed the radio down next to her. Her horn lit up with more magic and she directed it to the tip of the cord on the radio. The plug glowed the same dark blue as her magic and the radio came to life with the constant buzzing of static. Making some adjustment with the antennae, Luna turned it towards her moon and the signal become clear.

Soft music was playing from the radio, and Luna leaned back into her cushions with a content sigh.This radio was one of her prized possessions, and she guarded it jealously much to her sister’s amusement and at the same time, annoyance. It was only an radio though, just with special origins and a special purpose. After a few minutes the music faded and a voice came from radio, speaking formally and slowly delivering news and announcements. Luna let her mind wander a bit, picking up a cup of fresh tea and bring the hot liquid to her lips. The news that this station usually reported on were usually worlds away, and often did not concern her.

“...and today Neil Armstrong’s funeral service will be held. The first man on the moon died last Saturday at the age of 82. The astronaut...”

The next words were cut of as the sound of a teacup shattering upon the ground echoed across the room and the magic was abruptly cut off from radio. Stunned, Luna sat there slack-jawed and stared wide-eyed at the radio. Only moments passed before her vision became blurry, and she felt the tears beginning to form and she hastily reapplied her magic to the radio.

“...he is known as one of America’s greatest hero’s, being part of the historic Apollo 11 Lunar Landing. He will be missed, not just by his friends and family, but by the world.” The radio fell silent again as Luna let the magic fade once again.

“N-Neil is g-gone?” Her breath came in shallow gasps and the princess’ tears began to run down her cheeks as memories began to resurface, brought forth by the latest news.

~~~

The Moon.

It was cold, lifeless, and devoid of any color besides various shades of grey. Above all that, though, it was a prison. A cage that had held Nightmare Moon and Luna for the almost a millennia, and it could be another millennia before she could escape. Most of her power had been stripped away when her sister had decided to use the Elements of Harmony on her. The rest of her strength had dwindled away to almost nothing during her imprisonment.

Luna’s loss of power had shrunk her back to the size of a filly, and her mane had lost its luster and shine making it more of a pale blue than the starfield it use to be. Not that anypony could see her. Banishing her had sealed her body in the moon, away from prying eyes. At first Luna had been furious and in her angry carved her likeness into the moon’s surface as an act of defiance. To scream, “I am still here!” to her sister and ponies still on Equestria. Time passed though, and that anger turned to uncertainty, then to sadness, then despair, and finally nothing.

Luna was numb and rarely felt much in the way of emotion, but she had two things that comforted her and made the endless days pass ever so easier. One was looking over Equestria, seeing the majesty of the land that could only be appreciate from the moon. At certain points the sun would be hidden from view and the land of equestria would become speckled with lights. Luna was surprised that they could have so many fires going without burning down the land. It almost made her smile when she saw that.

The second was a rare occurrence but infinitely more exciting. Recently somepony or someone had been trying to reach her moon, but it wasn’t anypony from Equestria, it was entirely new world. Luna even suspected that they were a different space or dimension. Over the past several years strange objects had been crashing or landing on the surface of her moon, while others had merely circled. Luna had regarded these objects with fear at first, but that had quickly switched to anger, and finally settled on curiosity. These objects came in several shapes and sizes, but never spoke.

The most interesting thing about these arrivals, and the basis of Luna’s extra dimensional theory was the fact that every time these objects appeared, Equestria would disappear from sight. The first time this had happened, Luna had panicked, a thing she hadn’t done since she began her banishment, for Luna thought she would never be able to return home. She had wildly used her magic to look for where her home had gone. In her search she had discovered a planet were no planet should be. It was located on the opposite side of the moon from where Equestria should be. It was larger than her home by far, covered in colors of green, white, and blue. Its discovery had temporarily shocked Luna out of her panicked state, and she looked at the new world in awe. After a time though the planet vanished much like her Equestria had done, and Luna’s homeland had reappeared.

Luna came to look forward to these “breaks” as she called them. They weren’t exciting or entertaining, but they were different. They broke the monotony of her imprisonment. So when Equestria disappeared once again, Luna looked with expectation to the reemerged new world, waiting whatever new object would pass by, land, or even crash upon her lunar surface. It didn't take her long to see what she was looking for.

Almost immediately Luna had noticed something different, that object was several times larger than usual, and shaped more like a badly designed ship. It did not land on the surface of the moon, but instead launched another object to the surface. Luna’s curiosity could only grow as she watched the metallic object land on her surface. This object was also larger than any of the things that had come before it. It was big enough to hold a pony or two inside it in fact.

It was a tense moment, but then a hatch opened on the side of the object and Luna’s heart leapt into her throat. Something was coming out! Someone or something was here on her moon! Someone besides her! Thoughts began filling her head like a flood

Who are they?

What do they want?

Are they ponies?

Do they mean harm?

Are they diplomats?

Can I talk to them?

Will they keep me company?

Will they be my friend?

She watched as the creatures emerged from their craft, she knew immediately they were not ponies. For one the creatures only walked on two legs. They were white and bulky, with scrunched up skin and large, reflective heads. They moved awkwardly as well, hopping around and only taking small steps. Luna had never seen a stranger being in all her time on Equestria. Mostly likely because they were not from Equestria, which made sense in an abstract kind of way..

For several hours, the two beings moved in the cold silence of the moon’s surface performing an assortment of mysterious tasks that Luna couldn’t understand. They would enter their craft time and time again to bring out objects, set them up and mill around them poking and prodding. It was somewhat amusing to watch them, Luna had a feeling that these creatures were on nothing more than on a camping trip or field trip from school.

With all field trips, though, they have to end eventually, and the time came where the bulky creatures moved all their objects back to the craft and climbed back inside of it. Luna sighed with a combination of regret and relief. Soon they would be gone and she would be alone again, but at least she wasn’t discovered. Several minutes passed though, and there was no movement from the ship, then a hour.

Was she wrong? Maybe they were merely setting up camp? Perhaps they would be staying longer? Maybe they were staying forever!?

While these thoughts ran rampant in Luna’s mind, the hatch opened on the craft again and the two creatures stepped onto the surface once more. They didn’t have any equipment or objects on them as before. They seemed to be agitated about something, as they’re movements were quick and jerky. They kept pointing into space, and Luna turned her senses to see what exactly they were pointing at.

Turns out, they weren’t pointing at anything. In fact the nothing was the reason for their distress. Where their great blue world had been, now only empty space with a backdrop of lights existed.

Their world had vanished.