• Published 6th Sep 2012
  • 1,495 Views, 27 Comments

A Scratch for Tavi - WhirringGears



Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Philarmonica are roomates and exact opposites. But will opposites attract?

  • ...
2
 27
 1,495

Chapter One

Vinyl scratch sneezed onto her hoof, sticking out her tongue in slight disgust at its new...coating. Octavia came up behind her and draped her in a blue linen blanket and adjusting her ice cap. “You need to stop all this drinking, Vinyl! It’s draining you of your bits AND your health! Just look at you…I’m actually beginning to get worried.” The gray mare rolled her magenta eyes. “You’ve got a little something on your hoof, Vinyl.”

The white-coated DJ smirked despite her bad health. Speaking in a weak voice, obviously congested, she attempts to brighten Octavia’s face. “Yeah. I’m gonna stop drinking, and then I’m gonna get down on my knees and bow to her good ladyship. You go to your band practice, I’m FINE, Octy. I won’t drink until I start feelin’ better. Pon-3 promise. Cross my wubs, hope to fly, stick a muffin in my eye. Now go!” She managed to get down from the chair on all fours, groaning in protest.

Octavia raised an eyebrow in annoyance. “Vinyl, you’re sick. It’s one practice with my ensemble. I can afford to miss it. You’d spend a day helping me if I were-“

Vinyl opened her mouth to laugh, instead losing her breakfast she had been eating. “Uhh…prollehnohtav…” She staggered over to a couch the same color as Vinyl Scratch’s trademark glasses, a midnight purple color. Vinyl lied down on the couch, groaning.

Octavia couldn’t believe two things. One, she was just told by the very pony she constantly risked her career as a professional cellist for say if Octavia was sick, she would leave her there alone. Two, she had ANOTHER puddle of Vinyl sick to clean up. “Selfish…ungrateful…ugh!” Octavia trotted away, her voluptuous gray tail hanging limp as it always did when she felt miserable.

Why, in the name of Celestia, do I give a damn about Vinyl?! All she does is make fun of ponies, especially me, and blasts music that only CREATURES like her could POSSIBLY enjoy! Octavia rubbed her eyes, realizing they were full of tears. Vinyl was supposed to be Octavia’s friend…if she weren’t, on top of paying half the rent and doing the dishes, Vinyl Scratch would not be living in the same apartment as the refined ash-colored cellist.


Octavia pulled open the broom closet, looking around inside. It was dark, making it incredibly difficult for the young mare to see inside. After a few moments of looking around, she noticed the end of a mop handle sticking out behind an assortment of old amps belonging to Vinyl. The mare hopped up onto a tall bucket, then balanced on an amp that was almost smaller than her back hoof. Pushing a few others to the side, she managed to pull free the mop. Sighing, she adjusted the pink bow on her neck before trotting back into the kitchen. Of all ponies to become roommates with, she let in a drunken DJ…

When Octavia walked through the door, Vinyl was out cold on the couch. Octavia simply rolled her eyes and went to clean up her roommate’s mess. After a few moments of disgusting work, she wiped her brow. “Vinyl, I swear I’m going to kill you…” Octavia threw the mop into the sink behind her before going to take a shower.

* * *

Vinyl awoke with a start. “Huh? Octy? Guess she went to her band practice after all. Sweet…” Her hangover was nearly gone, and she was ready to head out and party again. She rolled off the couch onto her feet. As soon as she stood, her nausea returned and she was nearly forced to the ground. She managed to regain her footing. “Now, where’s that phone…maybe Berry Punch wants to go clubbing.”

Vinyl walked as slow as she could without getting bored with herself. After about 5 minutes of walking, she fell flat on her face, her tinted purple shades getting knocked off her nose. Lying there in pain for a few moments, she searched for her shades with one alabaster hoof blindly. Finally finding them, she slid them on. She groaned, now clutching her temples in agony. “Go away…go…away…” She rocked there for what seemed like forever.

Not too long after Vinyl had curled up in a ball, the buzzing noise in her head she had associated with her terrible hangover ended very abruptly, though not giving the renowned DJ any respite from her pain. Only when Octavia came into the room did she pry one eye open. “Oh sonova…”

Octavia’s charcoal mane hung over her shoulders, weighed down from the water that dripped down her coat and mane. “Oh, um…Vinyl…you’re awake.” The cellist’s amethyst eyes looked around the room for her pink bowtie. She hated being seen without it, especially after showering. Allowing the DJ to see her this way was even worse…Ponies didn’t wear clothes most of the time, but she HAD just gotten out of the shower…

The DJ was curled in her little ball still, having only noticed Octavia was there and not at her band-on somble or whatever she had called it. Oh Celestia, make it end… She felt extreme cold on her head very suddenly, and her aching head was soothed. The last thing she saw before fainting from exhaustion and pain was a streak of amethyst.

* * *

Octavia couldn’t help but smile at the unconscious DJ. Octavia had never experienced a hangover before, but she knew from the few weeks she had spent with Vinyl that they were awful. "Ha, that’s an understatement…" She thought to herself. As soon as the fresh ice pack touched the alabaster mare, she drifted off. It must have been truly painful to knock Vinyl out. "On second thought…maybe she should drink more often." The ash colored mare thought evilly to herself.

Celestia knew she was constantly forming different opinions about her strange roommate. Only this morning after Vinyl’s first…release…she had wanted to—well, being the refined mare she was, she would not allow such evil thoughts to cross her mind again. Now, she felt well enough about Vinyl Scratch to joke about the mare and her habits. "I’m so cruel," she mused.