• Published 27th Apr 2021
  • 689 Views, 212 Comments

Ghost of the Everfree - David Silver



Apple Bloom thought her Everglow days were behind her. Sure, she got a lot out of it, mostly cool stuff, including tales to share, but she was back on safe Equestria. Nothing that strange happens that the adults don't take care of, but there it is.

  • ...
7
 212
 689

PreviousChapters Next
46 - Jailed, but not Subdued

Diamond led the way into the next room, brightly lit. Somepony had gathered all kinds of children-like mobiles and decorations and even arranged stuffed animals with innocently cheerful faces around. It was very clearly a space for young things to be comfortable in. A pity many of the foals there looked less than pleased about it.

But there was a happy one, charging straight for them.

Silver smiled brightly in kind and hurried to meet them, crashing into a hug. "Dry!"

"Silver!" He released her from the full hug, sliding to one arm. "I was determined to be an 'orphan', so they sent me here. I'm glad you're both alright."

Diamond nodded at their lanky peer. "Good to see you too. You don't look roughed up." She turned her gaze on the other foals there. "This is a clash..." The room, so brightly appointed, clearly treated with love by somepony that wanted to make happy children, but with so few merry children to use its accommodations.

Heavy hoof steps prompted her to wheel in place to see an adult Everglow pony approaching. She growled and backed away, but he didn't care, marching right up to her and snatching her tiara with a grab of his teeth. "This will work as proof." And off he went with her tiara.

Silver stared with wide eyes. It wasn't until he was gone that she regained her senses. "Why didn't you stop him?"

"I was very tempted." Diamond ran her hooves through her exposed mane, tending it. "But he isn't wrong. That tiara is good proof that we're really here. Blowing our cover over that... isn't worth it." She jumped as something touched her.

Dry was the toucher, gently patting her side. "You are very brave. I know that tiara is important to you."

Another foal began to cry, perhaps renewed to tears by the sight of the casual theft. The priestess hurried in with a low curse, "All lines come together, but perhaps his can wait." She bee lined to the crying foal and sank before her. "It's alright. It's alright." With all the care that the others did not have, she gently whispered and cradled the foal.

Silver watched the interaction with a hum. "She seems serious, about being good, I mean. Lashtada priests are usually nice."

"That is only half true," noted the priestess without turning from the foal. "We serve a force of nature. In order for ponies to be, they must make more ponies. They must see those ponies grow and make more ponies. Without this, there are no ponies. Is that good? Is that bad? Selfish? Selfless? Hm, I could debate the philosophies, but I doubt you little ones are up for that." She smooched the nose of the recovered filly. "Feeling better?" She rose, satisfied with her work. "Now, me." She turned towards Silver. "I like to think I am a good person. My matron doesn't care, but I do. I want each generation to be happier than the last, not just coming together, though that is also happening."

Diamond pinned an ear back. "Well, since you seem... legit... let me just out and ask." She waved over the other despondant foals. "Why are you here. By 'you', I mean all of you. Why is Everglow rolling over Equestria? Again!"

The priestess blinked with amazement. "You know of Everglow?"

"Aside the point." Diamond tapped the ground impatiently. "Why? Why are you here? Give us a reason."

The priestess looked over the many foals that had been drawn by the conversation. "You deserve an answer." She sank to her haunches, prompting many foals to come in closer. "This wasn't my idea... But those are words used often by cowards. I came with them because I knew pain would result, and I could tend to it. Whatever they were doing, I could at least try to make it less terrible..." She sighed gently. "A whole world, unguarded. Visitors from it have come with eager tales of how wonderful it is. Filled with ponies of another sort. They couldn't resist."

She spread her hooves across the foals in front of her. "Look at you! Adorable things... I would defend a foal without question, but to gaze on you? This world has the most endearing little ponies... Lashtada would lash me a thousand times if I even considered allowing harm on any of you." Several foals came in closer, deciding she was on their side. "I'm so very sorry... I know I am no replacement for the parents you are missing so badly... But I will do my best."

Diamond hmmed. "Well, if you had your choice, would you take them all and go home?" She pointed past the priestess, behind her.

"Would that be an option." She cocked a brow. "I would be tempted to stay. If one of these precious little children is in need of a guardian, the thought of leaving them... I have given my vow. Even those soldiers will not shake me of it. I am yours until I am no longer needed."

Diamond smirked, an expression far more wicked than her years should have allowed for. "The soldiers must hate you."

"They do not hate the healing I provide." The priestess lifted her nose. "They know I keep this place safe and secure. I have a job, and I perform it ardently. They will just have to learn to live with the rest."

One little colt poked at her. "Healing?"

"Oh, yes." She gathered the foal up to bring him up, so their noses were almost touching. "With Lashtada's blessings, I can chase away pains and injuries. She is life itself, ever in pursuit of life. To recover from injury is a basic part of life, is it not?"

Dry coughed into a hoof. "Ma'am." He gained her attention. "May I tell you a secret in confidence?"

Diamond swatted at him, but Silver moved in supportingly. Outvoted, Diamond grunted. "Fine."

The priestess looked from one foal to the next of that group of three. "You have shown knowledge none of the others have..." She frowned suddenly. "You're not adults, polymorphed into the form of children, are you?!" She recoiled at the very idea of it. "That is an act of supreme cowardice! You should be defending the young, not hiding behind them! Admit it! To protect the present at the cost of the future may leave you with neither."

Dry waved his hooves wildly. "N-no! Um, please stop looking at me like that." The penetrating look of Lashtadan judgement was an intimidating thing her priestess brought to bare upon him. "I'm from Everglow!"

Her affronted look melted into confusion. "The soldiers brought no foals with them. How did an Everglow foal join us? Where are you from?" She rose up, but didn't seem to do it to loom. "You poor thing, a world away from your parents."

Silver and Diamond closed in front of Dry defensively, but that only made the priestess smile. "You have made friends, a new community. How lovely." She set a hoof on both of the defending fillies. "How admirable you two are. Did he whisper all those things to you, tales of alien gods and strange ways?"

Diamond cocked a brow. "We've been to Everglow, since you're asking. We're the ones teaching him things."

"Have you?" She frowned softly. "Hm... Not impossible..." Her eyes darted to Dry, hooves falling from the fillies. "You do not look like an Everglow foal, why?"

Dry swallowed, but looked less nervous. He was being studied by a caring mother, rather than an angry one. There was a big difference. "All Everglow ponies, um, I think this happens." He pointed at himself. "All the Equestrian ones became Everglow ones after enough time in Everglow, and became Equestrian ones when they came home."

Silver raised a hoof. "Ugh, happened to us. That was... odd."

Another foal perked up, listening to the chat. "You've been where they came from?"

Diamond nodded. "We have, and he's from there." She threw an arm around Dry. "But he's on our side. Honorary Equestrian." She squeezed him for extra effect.

Dry wobbled in the squeeze, but chuckled nervously along the way. "I'm a ghost pony."

The priestess blinked in amazement. "Are you? A rare tribe of pony, come so far away, but... In that case, you aren't as lost as I imagined. Ghost ponies do leave their own at a young age, don't they?"

Dry recoiled an inch. "What?! I'm old enough."

"For a ghost pony," reminded the priestess. "They set their foals out early. I would chastise them for not better safeguarding the next generation, if there were ears my words would reach." She gruntsnorted, her complaints to little avail. "Still, that a ghost should turn up in a place so exotic... not impossible to consider. Has this world treated you well?"

"Very well," reported Dry with a big smile." He grabbed Silver, just to push her forward. "She is courting me." He grabbed for Diamond. "She is both of our dear friend. I have learned so much since I came here... Um... You will keep this a secret?"

"As if they would believe the foals began this." She shook her head. "My vow is made. Not a word will escape me. Now I have another reason. To stand in the way of a new union? I would sooner die."

Diamond huffed. "No need to go to that." She turned to the others there. "First, plans."


Apple Bloom was fed a tasty meal by her adoptive mother. The water was running, and her fridge had food. Though the food brought was accepted, to not irritate them, it wasn't strictly required. "I'm going to put this away," the mare had promised Apple Bloom. "The food in the fridge looks a little spotty with my time away, and who knows when we can go shopping again." So they ate the last of the good food in there, but starving didn't seem in their future at least. "They really don't seem to know."

Apple Bloom shook her head quickly. "Let's not remind 'em." That they had water was a luxury they weren't racing to be without. "They had pipes in their cities too. Wonder why they didn't think of it."

The mare paused in her steps. "You know them?"

"I've been there. I don't know them." She waved outside to the soldiers outside the house. "But I've been there, to their world an' whatnot. The big cities are jus' like ours in a lotta ways, but lackin' in other ways, but better in other ways. It's a mixed bag... They love magic."

The mare sank, hoof to her cheek. "A bunch of alien unicorns have invaded us with attitude problems. That isn't good."

"No it ain't." Apple Bloom pointed to the back. "There a back door? Ah really should get to scoutin' thin's out."

The mare held up her hooves. "I told you. You are welcome here, but I'm not holding you here. You're not my filly... I just want you safe, please."

Apple Bloom closed with her temporary caretaker and gave them a one armed hug. "You really are a good pony. Ah'll likely be back! Just wanna get a look around while there's some light to do it."

"Do it carefully." But she didn't stop Apple Bloom. "I'll be hoping for you!"

As if on cue, the moment Apple Bloom trotted out of sight energetically, a loud clopping bang came from her door. "Coming!" The mare hurried to the door and got it open to reveal the face of one of their soldiers, a pegasus from the look of it. "Can I help you?"

The pegasus worried his wings. "I'm told that ponies of this land expect regular weather duties. Is this correct?"

The mare blinked at the question. "Yes, every day. You--" But the soldier was already walking away despondantly. "Wait, please." The pegasus looked over his shoulder. "Did something happen?"

He paused, still a moment before a sigh came out. "We didn't bring any pegasi that well trained in the weather arts."

She dared a little smile. "If you let them, the local pegasi would eagerly get back to work."

The pegasus bonked the side of his head with his odd Everglow hoof. "I told the commander this!" He flinched. "Sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you, ma'am. You did nothing wrong... I will do my best to convince him. Good day."

"Good day." She closed the door behind him, leaving her alone in the house. "This is a mess..."

Author's Note:

Writing a serious Lashtadan priest? Super fun, just saying.

Join the special community of folks who like my stories, get updates early, and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next