• Published 27th Apr 2021
  • 689 Views, 212 Comments

Ghost of the Everfree - David Silver



Apple Bloom thought her Everglow days were behind her. Sure, she got a lot out of it, mostly cool stuff, including tales to share, but she was back on safe Equestria. Nothing that strange happens that the adults don't take care of, but there it is.

  • ...
7
 212
 689

PreviousChapters Next
34 - In Good Faith

Dry clasped his hooves together. "Knower of the unknown, seeker of the mysteries," he whispered to himself. "Your eyes are open. Your ears are pricked. Your hooves reach into the darkness, knowing no fear." He swallowed at that. He wasn't sure he would ever have that property, but what were gods if not something to aspire to? "Good friend to any that accept you. Blessed wielder of the tomes, Princess Luminace. I humbly prostrate before you and ask for a peek into your infinite volumes."

His intentions were pure, and he could feel it, an unlocking. As close as most mortals got, he was given a peek into those many shelves with untold books. He closed his eyes with a silly smile, wandering those stacks in wonder. There was more information there than he could hope if he spent a century reading.

What little, tiny, inconsequential things he learned would be added there, to be shared with others who visited. That he was a part of that vast collection, even a tiny bit, made his heart swell with pride and awe. There. He found his way to the books that seemed to call to him, filled with basic prayers. He could choose which books to study and take with him, each a sliver of her power, to be drawn upon when he cast a spell. He had to be careful which he selected. They were a gods power. They were not his. He was but a vessel, a channel through which Luminace's might flowed.

"To know more. To share." He placed his hooves on the books and began to study, dedicating the magic he would have that day.

Dry shook himself free. His prayers were done, the magic buzzing within him. But he wasn't alone! He started, jumping away from Scootaloo who was reading just next to him. "When did you get here?"

"I came in and you were all... busy, so I figured I'd do my reading while you were busy." She flipped to the next page. "Almost done. I didn't interrupt you, I hope?"

"N-no... I didn't even know you were here." Dry peeked past Scootaloo to the book she was reading, but he could comprehend none of it. Magic, but of a different sort than the kind given to him by his kind god. "If you get hurt..."

Scootaloo swiveled an ear back. "I hope I don't, but if?"

"Then I can help." Dry waved his faintly glowing hooves in the air. "Like Apple Bloom's potions. If she isn't there, I can help too."

Scootaloo grinned as she turned on. "That's really nice. I can't do that. My magic is really awesome, but it's no good at that. Did you prepare helping spells? I bet you want more, uh, interesting stuff."

"I learned," gusted out Dry, sitting next to Scootaloo. "My goddess is warm, and so am I. I can take any spell I prepared of hers and turn it into that warmth, to help someone who needs it."

Scootaloo snapped her book shut. "Get out! That's awesome... Is it fast? I have to take a while to swap out things like that."

"N-no, right away... I cast it, and let it come out as warmth." He rubbed behind his head. "I think it's... a cleric thing."

"Awesome." Scootaloo folded her book under an arm and hopped to the floor. "Gonna put my book away. We're both ready for an exciting day!"

Dry's eyes widened briefly. "I hope it is not too exciting."

"Speak for yourself." Scootaloo dashed off and returned without her book. "Got some tricks I wanna practice. Have fun!"

Right. He had a whole day ahead of himself. "Be careful."

"I don't look it, but I am." Scootaloo grabbed a helmet and popped it on her head. "I can't be awesome if I get all busted up, even if I have two great ponies that wouldn't let me stay banged up for long." She took off into the hallway, jumping on her scooter on the way. "See you later!"

Dry waved as she powered away, leaving the door open behind her. He was more polite in making sure it was closed when he walked out. "I should... That way." And he headed towards another pony he wanted to visit.

He found Silver Spoon not at her house, at least not inside. She was out front, sitting beside a pool and sipping from a fancy glass, a book resting on a hoof. He waved and hurried towards her. "Hello, Silver!"

"Dry!" She dropped the book casually in favor of rolling free and meeting him in a hug. "I didn't know you were visiting today."

"We are courting," he reminded. "Shouldn't we see each other often?"

Silver Spoon's face darkened. "Oh! Right, yes..." She flopped onto her haunches. "Gonna be honest... You're the first colt I officially courted... I'm not used to the rules."

Dry perked up. Did he know something Silver didn't? "I'll go over the basics. You haven't bothered me so far, I assure." He smiled, cheeks warming gently. "I quite enjoy being courted... If you asked right now, I... might agree."

"Agree to what?" Silver reached back for her book. "What am I asking?"

Dry blinked with new confusion. "The question. You are courting to, hopefully, secure marriage."

"Oh!" Silver's blush was only growing worse by the moment. "We're too young for that... I just want to... We can keep courting, right?"

"Of course." Dry danced in place. "I'm enjoying it... a lot... Are you?"

"A lot." She leaned in, touching her nose to his cheek. "I like having a boyfriend... What's the rush? Let's just... enjoy where we are, alright?"

"I am enjoying it. Oh! I think I've figured out praying... I can visit her library each morning and learn." Dry tapped at his head. "The spells are here, waiting to be called. The feeling... It's wonderful! To hold a little slice of her power and knowledge. I am humbled, barely worthy of it."

"Do you doubt her?" Silver asked with a little smirk. "She trusted you with it. She'd know better than you, hm?"

The logic... "You're... right. She did trust me..." Proof that he was worthy of it... "Wow. Thank you, again, for showing this to me. Oh! Oh oh!"

"Oh? You look like you remembered something." She put a hoof under his chin. "Take a breath."

Dry sat back, joining her in seated position. "Right, of course... The crusaders made a club, and we're invited." He waved between himself and Silver Spoon. "Fresh Casters, it's called. For Equestrian ponies who use Everglow magic."

Silver squinted at Dry. "You're not technically an Equestrian pony."

Dry was struck dumb. How had he not noticed that?! "Um..."

Silver set a hoof on his nose. "Relax... They already invited you, so it doesn't bother them, and it doesn't bother me. A club to talk about magic stuff? Who else is gonna be there?"

"They invited Pinkie and Twilight." He pointed to the great tower that held one of those ponies. "And they agreed you and Diamond Tiara qualified. Since I was visiting anyway, I thought I'd invite you."

"Invitation received," joyfully reported Silver. "And accepted. Now, how about we go tell Diamond the news? Not sure if she'll be super into it or not, but only one way to know." She climbed to her hooves and started for the gate. "Let's go!"

Dry scampered after her. "Is it alright to visit her?"

"We are besties," huffed out Silver. "She better be used to me showing up." She rolled her eyes as she adjusted her glasses. "And you're with me."

They advanced together towards one of the few other fancy houses in Ponyville. Silver threw open the gate without a pause, as if it were her house too. "Diamond!" she called as she came up on the gate. "You home?"

"Ma'am?" There was Randolph, her butler. "She's in her room. Is this urgent?"

Silver hiked a brow. "Like it usually is, Randy. Is she busy?"

"She's doing her homework."

Dry curled his hoof to his chin. "I never got homework..."

Silver smirked a bit viciously. "Because we don't usually get homework. Randy, you can do better than that."

Randy coughed softly into a hoof. "She is occupied, ma'am. Would you care to wait for her, or come back later?"

Silver grumbled softly. "If you insist... We'll wait." She followed Randy, leading Dry behind her to a sitting room where she hopped up onto a seat without prompting. "A drink for us both, kindly."

Randy nodded. "Right away." And off he went.

Dry sprang up to join Silver in the next chair over. "You two must be good friends?"

"Friends? What makes you say that? He's a nice enough pony, I suppose..."

"You knew what he meant, and he understands you." Dry pantomimed in the air. "It seemed you two were very familiar. It was nice. Are you not friends?"

Silver flashed a smile. "For being a faithful of Princess Luminace, maybe my eyes were closed. Good catch... Yes, yes we are friends."

"Ma'am." Randy had entered in the quiet way butlers had, placing two bottles of soda in front of them. "I'm honored, ma'am."

Silver burst into little giggles. "If we're friends, you don't have to call me 'ma'am'. Silver will work, or Silver Spoon if you want to be formal."

Randy looked uncertain on that, "I'm accustomed to ma'am... ma'am... My apologies." He looked to Dry. "Do you require anything, sir?"

"N-no! Thank you." He grabbed the bottle with his hooves, which was still kind of a new thing, but he was able to cradle the bottle without trouble and nursed on it, getting a blast of some tropical fruit blend. "Wow."

"Wow?" Silver took a soft sip. "It tastes pretty normal."

Normal for her, perhaps. He took another little sip. "Hopefully Diamond is done soon."

They had to wait for some time, but no clock was there to measure it exactly. "Silver." There she was, walking in with a little smile. "And Dry. A two for one." She swatted the colt. "What brings you two around here?"

Silver inclined her head towards Dry. "He heard the crusaders made a club for magic ponies, like us. We're invited to join. Us, the crusaders, Twilight, Pinkie, all the ponies with Everglow magic."

Diamond stroked her chin thoughtfully. "Aren't there a few others out there? Like Fluttershy's friend... What's her name... Tree something? She does Everglow magic."

Silver clopped a hoof on her forehead. "How silly of me, and the flower sisters. I think they're all nature wizards."

"Druids," corrected Dry. "Nature... Um... probably. Most nature spellcasters are druids."

Diamond shook her head. "One point for having an Everglow native around. You know about this stuff. Druids then, whatever. They cast Everglow spells, so they qualify too."

Silver huffed. "That's nice, but are you joining or not?"

"As if I'd skip." Diamond Tiara raised both brows together. "You two are joining. Think I'll sit out? Ha... Somepony has to keep an eye on you two before you do something inappropriate." That got a coloring of both her friends. "I'm joking! You two are way too innocent to do anything like that." This did not abate their coloring. "Eesh... Anyway, we'll go bother the flower sisters tomorrow. How's that?"

Dry nodded firmly. "Have I met them?"

Silver hummed. "I don't... remember you meeting them. They're nice, if a little easy to startle. Like you in a way, but you're brave afterwards. They pass out."

Dry blinked softly. "That isn't very safe." Being scared was logical, but passing out? That wasn't a very safe way to react to it! "Hide, flee, or... fight if you have to."

Silver laughed at her skittish boyfriend. "They're not experts at hiding like you are, or as super brave as you. But they do know magic, more than you. They've been practicing longer."

"Maybe..." Dry considered the situation. "But if they are bad at hiding and bad at fighting, what does it count for?"

Author's Note:

Dry is judging the flower sisters. JUDGING!

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next