• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 4,515 Views, 175 Comments

Saddlebags, Sun, and On the Run (Book 2) - LotusTeaDragon



Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and the rest of the Mane Six travel to Los Pegasus on vacation together.

  • ...
7
 175
 4,515

Dance The Night Away

CHAPTER SEVEN
"Dance the Night Away"


That Same Morning

"Hey Spike! Hurry! Hurry! We don't want to miss buying a map!"

A bright pink pony bounced out of the elevator toward the lobby doors, her short, purple and green companion behind her.

"I'm coming Pinkie! Hold your harness!" he called out, scrambling to keep up with the energetic mare.

Pinkie stopped suddenly, causing Spike to crash into her from behind. He lay on the floor for a moment, as he saw birds flying around his head, tweeting shrilly.

"Oh, don't be silly willy nilly, Spike!", Pinkie Pie said, standing over the little dragon, "I'm not wearing a harness!" She giggled as she pulled him to his feet and they exited the lobby, Spike holding a claw against his forehead.

As they stepped out into the daylight, Spike noticed the sidewalks were packed with other ponies. Some of them appeared to be tourists, what with their cameras, sunglasses, and hats. Spike even saw one very round pony wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He couldn't help but mentally compliment him on his attire.

"Come on, Spike! We're going to miss out!"

Pinkie bounced away, knowing Spike would be right behind her. She glanced about, looking at all of the sights, listening to all of the sounds. Somewhere deep within her mind, she was formulating all the different parties she could have with these ponies.

I wonder if these ponies like pin the tail on the pony? What if they don't like pin the tale on the pony? What if they like pinning tails on other things like walruses or whales? Would I have to go in the water to pin the tail on a whale? How big is a whale tail? Does a walrus have a tail? Can you pin the tail on a tailless walrus that doesn't have a tail anyway? Would that be cheating? What if you could put the tail anywhere? Would a tail be a tail if it was on a walrus head?

Pinkie's thoughts were interrupted as she caught sight of her quarry. On the corner of the street across from where they were standing was a pony wearing sunglasses and a flannel shirt. His blond mane was slicked back, and he wore a large gold necklace with what appeared to be a "stallion" symbol on it. In his hooves were wide strips of folded color paper. Pinkie immediately identified them as what they were: maps!

The sign next to the pony only confirmed her suspicions. It read "Maps to the Stars! 25 bits!". She had found what she had been looking for, and this, of course, made her overwhelmingly happy.

Calling loudly for Spike to follow her, Pinkie darted across the street, and stood in front of the pony who jumped back in surprise upon finding a cloud of pink within centimeters of his own muzzle.

"Hey! Watch out, there, lady!", the stallion called out, his voice filled with surprise and more than a hint of anger.

Pinkie Pie, nonplussed, started in with her questioning. "Hey, there! Are those maps? Maps to the stars? Maps with the names of the stars written on them? Can I go where the stars are if I buy a map? The map you're carrying right there in your hooves! Why aren't you answering? Huh? Huh? Huh? PLEASE GIVE ME A MAP!" She yelled in desperation, as she grabbed his shirt collar. "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!"

"Fine, lady! Just take the map! Sweet Celestia, I don't know who you are but you're scaring me!", the vendor replied. His hooves trembling, as he began to give her a map.

Without hesitation, she grabbed the map from his trembling, outstretched hoof. Pinkie smiled sweetly in return. "Thank you!" She reached into her saddlebags and tossed 25 bits to him, but he was so shaken that they fell onto the sidewalk.

The pink pony and her dragon trotted off, as the vendor collected his wits, and also the bits that were laying at his hooves. He began to seriously consider a new line of work that wouldn't involved the sheer lunacy of these crazy tourists. He also felt it wise to avoid pink ponies in the future. For his health, if nothing else.

~//~

"Oh, darling, this is divine", Rarity purred as she began to lower herself into the warm, bubbling, effervescent water of the whirlpool tub. Joining her in murmurs of agreement were two of her best friends, Fluttershy and Twilight.

They had kept to their plan of visiting the hotel spa. Having received a Neighponese massage, hot rock therapy, and a horn and hoof filing, they were now relaxing in the hot tub room. Lush, green plants sat in stark contrast to the soft purple walls, and the muted lights. Designs of ancient ponies lined the borders of every wall, with marble columns breaking the purple and green every so many meters. The room itself wasn't very large. In fact, it was rather comfortable and cozy, as if everything that took place outside the room wasn't welcome, that there wasn't any room for it to join the ponies escaping from the world's stresses. It was very nice, very fancy, and likely very expensive.

Rarity felt the hot water work wonders on her muscles as she let it creep all the way up to her neck. Glancing around, she saw similar smiles of delight on her friends' faces. The three mares were silent for a short time as they allowed the jets to relax the tension away. After the events of the previous day, who knew that one had to take a vacation from a vacation?

Fluttershy's soft, sweet voice broke the silence. "Oh, I hope Applejack and Rainbow Dash are having fun together. They really needed to relax, too. Poor Applejack." It was immediately followed by a soft 'eep' as she realized she had spoken her thought out loud.

Rarity and Twilight looked over at the butter yellow mare.

"Whatever do you mean, Fluttershy? What's wrong with Applejack?" Rarity asked her meek friend. Twilight looked at her, in a mutual question of concern, which Rarity nodded back in agreement. They both returned their focus on Fluttershy.

"Oh... it's probably not..." Fluttershy began, her head sinking lower into the water, "very... important." she said, before her head submerged completely.

Twilight looked at Rarity, her eyebrows raised. Looking back at the space where the pegasus had been, she saw bubbles rise to the surface. "Fluttershy, this may be important. You have to tell us."

Bubbles in response.

"Fluttershy, my dear", Rarity began, "if you don't tell us, we'll just have to wait here until you do, and we can wait quite a bit longer than you can hold your breath, love."

Bubbles. Then a light pink mane began to rise up out of the water, followed by the quiet mare herself. She glanced at her two friends for a moment, likely thinking it over, before continuing.

"Okay", she began, an airy sigh escaping her lips. "Yesterday, while Rarity was in her room, changing into her pajamas, and while Twilight was in the kitchen playing cards with Pinkie Pie and Spike, I saw Rainbow Dash and Applejack come in for the night. I don't think they saw me, because I was on the other side of the couch, watching a cute little animal film about bunnies and squirrels, oh they were so adorable, you could just-".

"Um, Fluttershy?", Twilight interrupted gently, "could you tell us the rest of what you saw with Rainbow and AJ?"

Fluttershy dipped her head, as if scolded, but continued, "Oh, I'm sorry. Um... oh yes, Rainbow Dash was holding Applejack's hoof, and she had her foreleg around her neck. Applejack looked like she had been crying, but I've never really seen Applejack look so sad, so I couldn't be sure. They went into Rainbow Dash's bedroom and closed the door, and that's what I saw."

Her voice trailed off as she glanced downward at the bubbly water, letting herself get lost in it for a moment.

Rarity and Twilight gave each other similar looks of concern.

"I wonder what could have possibly made Applejack so sad?" Rarity asked her purple friend. "I've seen her exhausted, angry, and even a little melancholy over matters of her farm, or her work, but we're on a fabulous vacation in one of the most beautiful, and largest cities in Equestria. What could make her sad out here?"

Twilight put a hoof to her chin. "Could she be homesick?", she proffered, rubbing her hoof with her chin.

"Hmm, I'm not certain", Rarity replied, her voice filled with deep concern for her delightfully rustic friend.

Twilight's eyes narrowed as she poured more mental energy into the problem. Finally, she smacked her hoof down, forgetting for a moment that they were sitting in water, and in the process, splashed her friends. "I've got it!" she said, her voice triumphant.

Rarity, whose hair was sopping wet, gave Twilight a flat stare. "Oh, do go on."

Twilight grinned sheepishly and uttered an apology before continuing. "Sorry Rarity. I guess I got excited." She cleared her throat and began in a professorial tone. "We all know that Rainbow Dash took Applejack to see her parents yesterday. Could something have happened at her parents' house to cause Applejack's inexplicable bout of sadness?"

Rarity nodded. "Yes, I suppose it could."

Twilight continued. "If that's the case, it's possible that something bad happened. Something that would hurt Applejack. What if Rainbow's parents rejected her? Or insulted her?"

Rarity and Fluttershy glanced at each other, alarm on their faces.

"What do you suppose could cause something like that? Who would insult somepony like Applejack?"

Twilight continued, encouraged by her scenario. "What if Rainbow Dash told them about their relationship? Remember when we found out? We were happy for them, but we're their friends, and seeing them happy makes us happy, but what if it's different out here where Dash only gets to see her parents every so many years? Maybe they don't know about Rainbow, or about how she feels towards other mares, Applejack in particular? It could be disastrous!"
Rarity nodded. "Yes, I see. I do have a question, my dear, what about Violet Tempest? She was an absolute gem when we met her yesterday. She was thrilled with her big sister, and seemed to be rather fond of Applejack as well."

"Well", Twilight began, once more rubbing her chin before speaking, "Violet is much younger. Her generation has become accustomed to seeing different ponies in different types of relationships. While Princess Celestia has always felt that love is love, and that everypony should be allowed to love another pony regardless of their appearance, beliefs, or gender, the older generations seem to have trouble with that concept. It was something the Princess and I discussed at length when I went on my first date all those years ago."

Rarity and Fluttershy perked up at this bit of information.

"Your first date? Twilight, you must tell us about this!" Rarity practically squealed.

"Oh my, yes, please tell us, Twilight! I mean... if you want to, that is." Fluttershy interjected softly, both her and Rarity momentarily forgetting the problem they were trying to solve.

Twilight blushed. "Oh, I didn't mean for that to blurt out", she said, panic in her voice.

With a glimmer of mischief in her cerulean eyes, and a flutter of her long, graceful lashes, Rarity had Twilight in the proverbial corner. "Oh, my dear, there is no escaping this. Your two dear friends have heard you open up about a previous romance, and we simply must know the details. All of them!" she finished as she squee'd, her voice reaching a high pitch as she clapped her forehooves together.

Fluttershy merely blushed at the display, letting part of her pink mane cover her eye and the rest of her sweet, round, and innocent baby face.

After glaring at Rarity for a few more moments, Twilight finally threw both hooves into the air, and again splashing her companions with water, before finally giving in. "Fine", she grumbled, "but what I tell you doesn't leave this room. Understood?"

Both Rarity and Fluttershy nodded.

"Pinkie Pie swear."

In unison, both Rarity and Fluttershy went through the motions of the Pinkie Pie promise:

"Cross my heart, hope to fly,
stick a cupcake in my eye."

Satisfied that they were now beholden to a Pinkie promise, Twilight leaned back, letting the hot water sooth her aching back, as she began to tell them the story of her very first date.

~//~

Canterlot Castle, Twilight's Room
10 Years Ago

"Princess, I don't want to dance with a colt!" a filly Twilight Sparkle was hanging her head, speaking toward the floor, as she continued whining. "Colts are weird."

"My dear Twilight Sparkle", her celestial mentor replied softly, "this colt isn't any ordinary colt. He's the son of a very dear friend of mine, one who has just returned from a long and dangerous journey across thousands of kilometers. I normally would not ask this of you, but you are the only other pony anywhere near his son's age, and I would feel terrible if that young colt had to be all alone in a room full of other ponies, particularly if I knew of one pony his age who could be a friend to him."

Twilight merely sniffled.

Celestia continued, using her most cajoling tone. "I mean, after all, who else could I trust this responsibility to, if not my most prized pupil? Come now, Twilight, surely you can help me in welcoming this young colt and his family home? You've been to many of these galas, and I know how well you've behaved, and how many other ponies you have impressed. Can't you do this once more, for me, to welcome my friend home?"

Twilight sniffled once more, but this time, she raised her head and replied. "Do I get to wear my favorite dress? The one with the pretty purple stars and moons on it?"

Celestia smiled warmly. "Yes, my faithful student, you can wear your favorite dress."

Later that evening, as they arrived at the location of the Harvest Moon Gala, Twilight began to feel butterflies in her stomach. Who is this colt? Why is he so important, and why does the Princess feel it necessary for me to look after him like I'm some kind of foalsitter?, she wondered. For a moment, she thought about Cadance, and wondered if she ever felt this way about her.

Knowing that her favorite, bestest foalsitter in the whole wide world of Equestria would have never thought such things about her, Twilight felt a pang of guilt, that scattered the butterflies already in her stomach. No, I won't be that way, either. I'll be nice to him. After all, it's just one night."

Trotting up the walkway next to Celestia, Twilight saw her begin to greet a couple of ponies she hadn't seen before. Looking in front of her, she saw a strong, dark blue stallion, next to a light cream mare. She could tell they were from out of town because she knew every pony in Canterlot, having attended countless galas, balls, celebrations, and other things the upper class ponies frittered away their time doing. It was all rather boring really, but that thought was banished from her mind as she saw the young colt standing next to the mare.

He was a light powder blue pegasus, with green eyes, and a royal blue mane. He seemed bashful, standing close to his mother. Twilight was unsure about what to do or say next. Fortunately, that wasn't a problem much longer.

"Twilight, why don't you and young Soarin go play? Maybe dance in the main hall, or visit the buffet table?" Princess Celestia's warm, encouraging voice was heard from above.

Twilight nodded to the Princess, nuzzled her, and slowly made her way over to the young colt, trying not to spook him. "Hello", she began, "um... my name is Twilight Sparkle. You must be Soarin'."

The powder blue colt hesitated a moment before being nudged by his mother. "Be polite, and introduce yourself to the young filly, Soarin'".

He inched his way toward Twilight, and bowed lightly, his legs trembling slightly. "Hello, um, Twilight, my name is, uh, Soarin'." He rubbed the back of his neck with his foreleg.

"Aw, see? She's a nice filly. Now go and have fun, you two!" Soarin's mother called as she, her husband, and Princess Celestia began walking away, toward the other end of the garden.

The two young ponies began to walk toward the hall entrance.

"So, um, where are you from, Soarin'?" Twilight began.

"Oh, um, I'm from, I mean, my dad and mom are from here. I was born in Coltifornia, and lived there for a few years, before going to Marexico. I've also lived in Neighpon, Germaney, and Corsica. Yesterday, we came back here. Oh, uh, I guess you know that part." Soarin' replied, looking away and rolling his eyes at the absent minded silliness of his remark.

Twilight giggled. "I see. You traveled around quite a bit. Is your dad a diplomat?"

Soarin nodded. "Yeah, we moved around a lot. I got to meet a lot of other ponies. Went to a lot of different schools." He trailed off a moment, but then returned his attention back to the filly.

"So, uh, are you from Canterlot, Twilight?"

Twilight smiled, happy to talk about her family. "Oh, yes. I was born here. My father and mother live in the northern part of the city. My brother lives at Canterlot Academy. He's training to become a royal guard. Someday he'll be Captain and have lots of soldier ponies at his command!"

Soarin' looked impressed. "Whoa! That's majorly cool! I don't know anypony in the guard!"

Twilight raised her head high, "Well, now you do", she said with pride, before lowering it a bit, "uh, sorta." She grinned a sheepish grin as they moved around the other guest ponies, making their way into the dance hall.

As they began dancing a simple two step, they continued getting to know one another. Soarin' talked about wanting to join the Royal Air Guard, like his mother.

"Yeah, I like flying really fast. I could be a lot of help in the Royal Air Guard." he said, a confident smile on his face.

Twilight nodded, "That's definitely the place for fast flyers. That and the Wonderbolts."

Soarin' raised his eyebrows at her comment. "The Wonderbolts? Nah. They're cool and stuff, but they're too flashy for me. Plus, all that training every day? No thanks."

Twilight giggled. "Silly, you would have to train for the Royal Air Guard."

Soarin' smirked. "Yeah, but... um... wait... um..."

At his confusion, both ponies began laughing. A few seconds later, Soarin heard his tummy grumbling. He looked up and saw the buffet table off to the side of the room.

"Hey Twilight, um, do you think we could go to the buffet table? I'm kinda hungry."

Twilight smiled. "Sure, let's see what they have this time!" she said, feeling a bit of an echo in her tummy, as well.

As they walked over to the table, Soarin' looked at Twilight. "You know, Twilight, you're awfully nice" he began, then realizing what he was saying, added quickly, "uh, you know, for a filly." he finished, looking from side to side.

Twilight, blushing, said nothing as they reached the table.

"Ooh! They have pie!" Soarin' called out as he glanced upward at the table, unable to reach the top, even though he was now hovering a few inches off the floor. "Do you think you can help me reach it, Twilight?" he asked, an almost pleading look in his eyes.

Twilight couldn't see the pie, so she couldn't teleport it from up there to down here, or vice versa.

"What do you suggest we do?" she asked the powder blue colt next to her.

He scratched his mane. "Um, oh, I know! You could get on my shoulders and I could lift you up to where the pie is, and you can bring it down!"

Looking uncertain, Twilight figured it was the best chance they had, short of asking another pony to help, and none of them looked too willing to help a couple of young ponies.

She sighed. "Okay, I guess we can do that. Just don't get my dress dirty. This is my favorite", she said in an admonishing tone.

Soarin' merely nodded as Twilight began to climb onto his back, taking care not to step on his wing muscles. She could almost see over the table. "A little more", she called out beneath her, and felt herself lift up a couple of centimeters.

"A little more" she called out again, hearing Soarin' grunt as he lifted higher.

"This is as far as I can go, Twilight", he called out, his voice thick and strained.

Finally, she had a clear view of the pie.

"Okay, hold steady, this will take a few seconds", she said to the royal blue mane beneath her.

Staring at the pie, Twilight focused all of her concentration. After a few moments, the pie began to glow a soft purple.

"Hurry!" she heard beneath her.

"Shh!" she replied harshly, without moving her lips.

Focusing intently, she began to move the pie slowly, centimeter by centimeter, from the center of the table toward the outer edge. Almost there, she thought to herself.

As she brought it to the edge, she began to lift it slowly, and was about to bring it completely off the table, when out of the corner of her eye, she saw another pony bump the table. Breaking her concentration, the pie dropped, but instead of dropping on the table, it dropped right on her hooves. She yelped and pulled them back in pain, realizing that she had let go of the table.

Soarin', startled by the yelp of pain, jumped back as Twilight grabbed onto the table cloth for support, and in the process, pulling it downward.

What followed felt like a dream sequence. Almost with a detached point of view, Twilight watched as first the pie, then a cake, and a bowl of punch, careened over the side and landed right on top of her, the punch splashing all over her favorite dress.

As she sat up slowly, she saw her now deep red stained dress, covered in cake and pie, her mane sticky and gooey. She began to cry. Wails and tears emanating from the poor filly as everypony in the room stopped and stared at her. Her, the prized pupil of Princess Celestia, covered in cake and punch, as the result of a colt making her do stupid things and getting her favorite dress ruined.

"I'm so sorry, Twilight!" she heard a young colt's voice as she ran from the hall, too embarrassed to live. She didn't return to the gala the rest of the night. Princess Celestia had come up to her room at one point and did her best to comfort her, explaining that the royal clothiers could clean her dress, and even if they couldn't, they would gladly make her a new dress just like that one.

Twilight wouldn't be mollified. She was done with colts. Done with trying to make friends. All it lead to was embarrassment.

~//~

"So that was your very first date? Oh, that's horrible, Twilight!" Rarity said as her friend finished her tale.

"Oh my, how awful", Fluttershy chimed in, a sorrowful look on her face.

"I'm so sorry I made you recall that, dear. It sounds absolutely traumatizing!" the snow white mare interjected, her voice apologetic.

"It's alright, girls", Twilight began, holding up a hoof, "I can look back and laugh on it, now. Still, it wasn't what you would call a pleasant experience."

The other two mares nodded in agreement.

"Still", Rarity stated, a twinkle in her eye, "we're glad you decided to give friendship another try, and at the very least", she continued, mischief in her voice, "you don't have to worry about random bowls of punch attacking you in a dance hall."

The three mares giggled.
"This has been wonderful", Fluttershy cooed. "Still," she continued, "what can we about poor Applejack?"

The three ponies began to step out of the hot water, taking the towels sitting next to them and drying off. That was still a matter to be considered.


<(/)*(\)>